Author Topic: [IC] SharkPCB, an open-source 40% ortho PCB (prototypes are in!)  (Read 17779 times)

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
[IC] SharkPCB, an open-source 40% ortho PCB (prototypes are in!)
« on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 17:02:22 »
Introduction

Hey guys!

I'm kinda new to GH so please bear with me. I'm a Brazilian mech enthusiast and would like to contribute with the community.

So me and Steve from Wood Cables saw an opening in the availability of 40% keyboards, specially the ortho layout.

While there are some kits available, say, the Daisy, the Planck and the AMJ40, every one of them has its own problems. For example, the Contra did not have RGB underglow, the AMJ40 is a pain to flash, and so on.

Second, the 40% layouts do not offer the same experience as the 60%s. All the kits mentioned are sold as kits, meaning one cannot buy this or that case and use with this and that PCB.

With this in mind, and some other things, me and Steve decided to design a 40% ortho PCB, which I called the Shark. It was named after a dear friend of mine aliased Undecided Shark, whose nickname I suggested and he said the very words "I like the nick Shark, but I'm so undecided". Go figure.

Project description

This project is open-source, and always had the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principle in mind, while also having the capability of being customizable and a fully-fledged functional board.

Since the project is open-source, anyone can download it, make his own fork and contribute as long as he maintained the design principles, and licensed the project under the same license. If you wish you can even order the PCBs yourself.

This IC thread is to search for interest in the US and Brazilian community. If the UE guys show interest I also have a possible proxy there.

The project can be checked at its Github page. I'm streaming myself designing it at tuesdays and thursdays at 3PM PST at my
 Twitch channel so you guys can see me using KiCad, answering general electronics questions and chattering. Past streams can be seen in my YT channel. In fact, I streamed right as I was writing this thread and presented the project a little bit:

The project as of now

The PCB design is (semi-)finished, but it is not prototyped. In the coming weeks I'll order them and update you guys. The design has some nice features, like ESD and surge protection, a hard reset push button, and in-switch LEDs. The LED control is done through a MOSFET with PWM modulation, just like the majority of the PCBs out there. The PCB uses an ARM processor (STM32F303) and is QMK programmable. The connector used is USBC. (Thanks, Walkerstop!)

Click below to see high-resolution renders (ver. 3.1).

More

More

The prototypes

As of 11/03/19, the prototypes for the PCB and universal plate are in and being built. Click here for the whole album, or in the below spoilers.

PCB front and plate:

More

PCB back and plate:

More

"Glamour shots"

More

About this IC thread

This IC is for the "semi-built" PCB, with all the SMD components soldered. All that you would have to do is solder the switch diodes, LEDs and LED resistors. As said before, we are aiming at the US and BR communities, but UE is not out of the question.

Since the boards were not prototyped, I did not quote them, but from past experience the final version will cost something around 40 US dollars plus shipping.

This IC thread is not just about the IC itself, but also so that you guys can give us feedback, advice and requests on the design

Next steps

Two more versions are to come. First, the SharkPCB will also have a full-THT version, which we are envisioning to be like the Gherkin and the Nori . This is supposed to be a more acessible, EOTW version so that people can test the 40% ortho layout without buying a fully-fledged kit with plate and case. This version will use a pro-micro and no SMD components (only the MOSFET LED Driver, for which I haven't found a THT alternative).

There is also a staggered version coming, which we are calling the Hammerhead. It should support many layouts like the AMJ40 does.

The workflow can be seen below.

(x) Started the IC thread - done 11/01/19
( ) Finished SMD design - done 02/03/19
( ) Finish the THT design
(x) (Maybe) Added RGB underglow support
(x) Changed design to ARM
(x) Changed components to SMD types
( ) Prototyped both designs
( ) Quoted boards

Changelog

12/01/19: started the port to STM32F303CCT6 processor, added RGB underglow and USBC connector
15/01/19: changed the grid used from the traditional 19.05mm to the 19mm one that the Planck uses
21/01/19: Added better render
26/01/19: Changed all components to SMD
03/02/19: Finished SMD design. Going for the THT.
18/02/19: Added rotary encoder support. The first prototypes will be sent to factory in the next few days.
11/03/19: Added prototypes images. Updated estimated price point.
12/03/19: Added a second position for the encoder and moved the reset push button to match the planck case back hole
13/03/19: Added I2C pins as suggested by user equalunique. Changed the plate slots shape so that the switch tops can be removed while the switch is mounted. Made hi-pro compatible plates as suggested by user sam278

Upcoming changes and updates

« Last Edit: Sun, 07 April 2019, 23:00:15 by Gondolindrim »
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline Walkerstop

Re: [IC] SharkPCB, an open-source 40% ortho PCB
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 17:59:01 »
I am interested, but can you add some nice pictures to the post, even if they are just renders?  I think it would help attract interest.  To click the video and see that it's an hour long of mostly talking may be a little off-putting to some.

I would also suggest including some very basic info such as:
- What MCU or breakout board are you using?
- What are your plans for the firmware?
- What kind of USB connector will be supported?

Someone may not want to go read through the design documents without knowing some of the basics first to see if they are even interested.

« Last Edit: Fri, 11 January 2019, 18:02:57 by Walkerstop »

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 18:07:57 »
Hey!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be using an Atmega32U4, QMK. As of now the board uses an USB mini, but the idea is to go to USBC.
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline Walkerstop

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 18:12:03 »
Great, that's mostly what I wanted to hear!  This might sound strange, but have you considered a more modern MCU such as something STM32-based?  The Planck rev6 and some other recent keyboards are going in that direction with QMK and frankly it's pretty cool.  It really leaves a lot more room for innovation with the elecronics I think.  You've got a lot more GPIO pins available, a lot more memory and space for the firmware, lots of potentially fun stuff to play with.  I've been playing with newer ARM-based MCUs running QMK such as STM32 and Kinesis (what Teensy uses) and it's really cool some of the stuff they can do.  Just a thought.  STM32 looks to have a bright future ahead on QMK since guys like Jack Humbert and Skully are using it now so you have that momentum.  Atmega32u4 on the other hand is kind of like the old tried and true but doesn't leave much room for expansion over what keyboards are currently capable of.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 January 2019, 18:14:00 by Walkerstop »

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 18:15:30 »
You are absolutely right. The the idea is to go ARM, but IIRC the QMK documentation for ARM is not complete. I mean, it simply is not there, so that's why I went "safe" with the AVR. There is also the KISS.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 January 2019, 19:19:27 by Gondolindrim »

Offline garbo

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 18:48:11 »
The awkward thing about producing an ortho 40% PCB is that the available cases are split between supporting 19.00 mm and 19.05 mm switch spacing. Which is this designed with?

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 18:51:42 »
The awkward thing about producing an ortho 40% PCB is that the available cases are split between supporting 19.00 mm and 19.05 mm switch spacing. Which is this designed with?

I used 0.75in, 19.05 mm, which is what the Planck does I think

Offline garbo

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 18:54:59 »

No, the olkb PCBs and cases that use them have the non-standard 19.00 mm spacing.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 19:18:48 »

No, the olkb PCBs and cases that use them have the non-standard 19.00 mm spacing.

Hmm, that's a predicament. From what I know the standard measurement is 19.05mm, which is what I used. I did not know the Planck used 19 flat. Since I took the Planck as a model, maybe it would be true to the purpose to use the 19mm it uses. I'll change that. Thank you.

Offline garbo

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 20:00:07 »
Hmm, that's a predicament. From what I know the standard measurement is 19.05mm, which is what I used. I did not know the Planck used 19 flat. Since I took the Planck as a model, maybe it would be true to the purpose to use the 19mm it uses. I'll change that. Thank you.

I do think that this would be the better option.

There's definitely space for an alternative to the v6 Planck PCB, either in terms of pricing, depending where that ends up, or just as an option for people that don't want north facing LEDs or hotswap sockets.

Plus, now that I think about it, the PCB options with normal switch spacing (NIU mini, YDP40/YDP40v2, AMJ40, XT40, etc) all have different USB port positions anyway - you would never have good case compatibility across the different standards.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 20:15:53 »

There's definitely space for an alternative to the v6 Planck PCB, either in terms of pricing, depending where that ends up, or just as an option for people that don't want north facing LEDs or hotswap sockets.

Plus, now that I think about it, the PCB options with normal switch spacing (NIU mini, YDP40/YDP40v2, AMJ40, XT40, etc) all have different USB port positions anyway - you would never have good case compatibility across the different standards.

Exactly. I set myself to use the Planck standard because it is simply the standard for ortho, the way I see it.

The Hammerhead will use centralized connector and 19.05mm spacing, exactly because that is the standard.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 March 2019, 22:55:50 by Gondolindrim »

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 09:07:17 »

The grid was changed, please see in the changelog. Thanks for the heads up!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 09:07:55 »
Great, that's mostly what I wanted to hear!  This might sound strange, but have you considered a more modern MCU such as something STM32-based?  The Planck rev6 and some other recent keyboards are going in that direction with QMK and frankly it's pretty cool.  It really leaves a lot more room for innovation with the elecronics I think.  You've got a lot more GPIO pins available, a lot more memory and space for the firmware, lots of potentially fun stuff to play with.  I've been playing with newer ARM-based MCUs running QMK such as STM32 and Kinesis (what Teensy uses) and it's really cool some of the stuff they can do.  Just a thought.  STM32 looks to have a bright future ahead on QMK since guys like Jack Humbert and Skully are using it now so you have that momentum.  Atmega32u4 on the other hand is kind of like the old tried and true but doesn't leave much room for expansion over what keyboards are currently capable of.

I started the porting to an STM32 and USBC connector. Thanks for the suggestion mate

Offline Walkerstop

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 16:35:11 »
Nice I'm excited!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 15:23:40 »
Nice I'm excited!

Did some high-res renders to get people pumped up haha

Will be prototyping soon

Offline Walkerstop

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 00:17:57 »
Looks awesome!!!

Offline Wood_Cables

• Wood/Cables
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 09:57:48 »
Hey everyone, I'm the other guy involved in this project. I'll be handling the prototyping in the United States along with production/shipping. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask!

Offline garbo

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 20:40:28 »
Ok, so a couple of things occured to me as I was looking at this again wrt compatibility with the olkb cases:

For the low profile ones, there's a curvature on the interior corners, so I think a completely rectangular PCB wouldn't fit inside.

The high profile cases (and, say, Woodkeys' APX) use the 2.5 mm standoffs integrated into the bottom of the rev 6 Planck PCB and screw in from underneath, instead of putting threaded posts on the case itself. Your holes are in the same position, but finding separate standoffs that are small enough and can screw in at both ends could be tricky.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 21:36:46 »
registering passing interest

more pcb options is always good
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 17:40:55 »
Ok, so a couple of things occured to me as I was looking at this again wrt compatibility with the olkb cases:

For the low profile ones, there's a curvature on the interior corners, so I think a completely rectangular PCB wouldn't fit inside.

The high profile cases (and, say, Woodkeys' APX) use the 2.5 mm standoffs integrated into the bottom of the rev 6 Planck PCB and screw in from underneath, instead of putting threaded posts on the case itself. Your holes are in the same position, but finding separate standoffs that are small enough and can screw in at both ends could be tricky.

I'll take a look on the curvature. The Shark has some curvature yes, but from your question I checked some pictures and the Planck's PCB corners a little bit more rounded. Thank you.

Although I did not understand your question for the standoffs. In the OLKB github page there are 3D models for the cases, which is how I check for positioning, although I reckon that's not your question (just saying how I do it for transparency).

Edit: I got the question now. Maybe I can know how or where we can get those standoffs, but I think that can be a little costly. I'll think of something. I bought a B-stock low-pro Planck case and never thought of that. Thanks (again).

Edit 2: the corners were rounded and checked against the Planck case models. I'll update the renders once I have time. Thanks @garbo!
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 February 2019, 18:18:31 by Gondolindrim »

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 17:51:16 »
registering passing interest

more pcb options is always good

Thanks!

Offline Fabi

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 09:53:57 »
Do you intend to share your qmk repo / files as well?

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 19:47:43 »
Do you intend to share your qmk repo / files as well?

Yes! I think it would be nonsensical to make an open source hardware and not open source the firmware, specially QMK. The first prototypes are on their way, I'll just add rotary encoder support in the next days!

Offline mwahlig

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 04:01:47 »
Looks awesome! Definitely interested in getting some of these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline iampivot

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 21:13:39 »
Do you have any pictures to share at this time?

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 13:28:48 »
Do you have any pictures to share at this time?

Hey! There are the high resolution renders for the last version (v3.1), which is the version we are prototyping. You can see those on the post text above or the project's GitHub page (http://github.com/Gondolindrim/SharkPCB).

The prototypes are on their way and I'll share their pictures as soon as I can.

Offline bendim

• Maker-Tutorials
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 14:29:15 »
Great project. Will add it to my open-source list https://github.com/BenRoe/awesome-mechanical-keyboard

Working on similar pcb, but with pro micro.
This solder on spacer cost around 60cent per piece. Think it‘s a good solution, but not low cost.
Planck Hand Wired

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 16:15:53 »
Great project. Will add it to my open-source list https://github.com/BenRoe/awesome-mechanical-keyboard

Working on similar pcb, but with pro micro.
This solder on spacer cost around 60cent per piece. Think it‘s a good solution, but not low cost.

I'd be glad if you could! Thanks!

I have not found a cheap way to do the spacers. I'm thinking on using nylon nuts that can cost as low as ten cents a piece, but I don't know if that will work. I also don't have a high-pro case, so I cannot actually test them even if I prototyped.

I'll post the progress by the second.

Offline TheGlyph

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 17:57:27 »
This is great! I am extremely interested in getting one to try out.

Is there any chance you would be willing to share CAD files of the PCB with components? I'm working on some case designs and would like to be optimizing for heights and connector clearance.
Instagram @GlennTheBlack
Discord TheGlyph#8458

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 18:22:11 »
This is great! I am extremely interested in getting one to try out.

Is there any chance you would be willing to share CAD files of the PCB with components? I'm working on some case designs and would like to be optimizing for heights and connector clearance.

Absolutely! All CAD files are available at the project page. You can generate VMRL, STEP and many other files from KiCad.

A 3D VMRL model is available on the ./renders folder (the shark.wrl file) with all components and traces.

Have in mind this PCB was made to be compatible with the Planck cases, so its measurements are adapted to them. If you need a custom design I'd be glad to make it completely for free as long as I can release it as open-source, under a non-commercial license (that is, only you would have commercial permission to use it).
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 February 2019, 18:24:27 by Gondolindrim »

Offline garbo

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 18:52:37 »
I have not found a cheap way to do the spacers. I'm thinking on using nylon nuts that can cost as low as ten cents a piece, but I don't know if that will work. I also don't have a high-pro case, so I cannot actually test them even if I prototyped.

I'd forgotten, but when the hi-pro planck/preonic cases were new they did come with little threaded plastic bits that would just clip into the PCB screw holes - they were surely low cost and you could probably check with Jack on how he sourced them. They worked, but weren't really great, with a tendency to spin in place when you tried screw into them. The newer revision of PCBs having the metal standoffs integrated was a solution to this.

Ultimately, it's not a big deal for any user that's happy to take a more DIY approach, which I'd guess would be a lot of the people using these. I have hi-pro Planck and Preonic cases in which I do just use nuts to secure the PCBs to the screws. They have o-rings/sorbothane (respectively) to space the PCB from the case bottom and give the plate some cushion, but someone could just as easily use a stack of washers or whatever.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 04:20:52 »

I'd forgotten, but when the hi-pro planck/preonic cases were new they did come with little threaded plastic bits that would just clip into the PCB screw holes - they were surely low cost and you could probably check with Jack on how he sourced them. They worked, but weren't really great, with a tendency to spin in place when you tried screw into them. The newer revision of PCBs having the metal standoffs integrated was a solution to this.

Ultimately, it's not a big deal for any user that's happy to take a more DIY approach, which I'd guess would be a lot of the people using these. I have hi-pro Planck and Preonic cases in which I do just use nuts to secure the PCBs to the screws. They have o-rings/sorbothane (respectively) to space the PCB from the case bottom and give the plate some cushion, but someone could just as easily use a stack of washers or whatever.

Yo garbo!

Would you be able to take some pictures of the nuts you use?

Also, we'll try nuts, selft-locking nuts and spacers. Let's see what works and what doesn't. I may make some videos out of it, it'd be great!

Offline garbo

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 09:20:04 »
I'm just using generic chinese M2 nuts, but I may have under-emphasised the kludge factor that's involved.

If the nuts are on top then it only really works on a plateless build like this, and even then you have to tighten it in between the switches.
213777-0

Otherwise the nuts are on the bottom, which is a bit unsightly. They're less tall than the bumpons, so I don't really mind it. Probably should have a plastic washer there so the steel's not up against the ano.
213779-1

These are the plastic peg standoffs that were originally used with the hi-pro cases. If you don't glue them into place then they'll just spin around with the screw, which means you need to hold them into place with a flathead on the other side to unscrew.
213781-2213783-3

Offline TheGlyph

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 12:37:49 »

Absolutely! All CAD files are available at the project page. You can generate VMRL, STEP and many other files from KiCad.

Is there any chance you'd be willing to export a .step for me? I don't have KiCad installed and would love to avoid setting everything up (I use PADs for my EE stuff).
Instagram @GlennTheBlack
Discord TheGlyph#8458

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 18:02:01 »
I'm just using generic chinese M2 nuts, but I may have under-emphasised the kludge factor that's involved.

If the nuts are on top then it only really works on a plateless build like this, and even then you have to tighten it in between the switches.
(Attachment Link)

Otherwise the nuts are on the bottom, which is a bit unsightly. They're less tall than the bumpons, so I don't really mind it. Probably should have a plastic washer there so the steel's not up against the ano.
(Attachment Link)

These are the plastic peg standoffs that were originally used with the hi-pro cases. If you don't glue them into place then they'll just spin around with the screw, which means you need to hold them into place with a flathead on the other side to unscrew.
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Dude thank you so much for the infos and pictures, you've been amazing on this thread

We'll try to see what works with the build, but I'm guessing we're going for some spacers or nuts just like you did. I think maybe self locking nuts or even flint nuts  can do the trick, whaddaya think?

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 18:03:31 »

Is there any chance you'd be willing to export a .step for me? I don't have KiCad installed and would love to avoid setting everything up (I use PADs for my EE stuff).

Sure, of course! I'll add it ASAP!

In the meantime, I think you can convert the VMRL (.wrl) file to a STEP in most 3D CADs!
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 February 2019, 08:19:15 by Gondolindrim »

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 14:09:01 »

Sure, of course! I'll add it ASAP!

In the meantime, I think you can convert the VMRL (.wrl) file to a STEP in most 3D CADs!

Step file added for version 3.1.1 on the ./renders folder.

Offline TheGlyph

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 15:15:17 »
A thing a beauty! Thank you so much! Will be watching closely for prototype updates
Instagram @GlennTheBlack
Discord TheGlyph#8458

Offline equalunique

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 15:06:31 »
Are you able to break out some pins from the STM32F303 so someone could connect an I2C device?

Very cool and exciting work!!!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 15:15:18 »
A thing a beauty! Thank you so much! Will be watching closely for prototype updates

Awesome! Could I have a look at the case designs when you're done?

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 15:16:53 »
Are you able to break out some pins from the STM32F303 so someone could connect an I2C device?

Yes, of course!

Right now I'm documenting and maybe adding a Wiki for the whole Acheron Project, including the SharkPCB. I'll add the I2C pins ASAP and get back here!
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 March 2019, 15:20:51 by Gondolindrim »

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
Re: [IC] SharkPCB, an open-source 40% ortho PCB (prototypes are in!)
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 10:32:21 »
Yo guys! Prototypes are in and will be testes in the following week. I added their pictures to the post.

Hope you guys enjoy them. As always, feedback is highly appreciated.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 12 March 2019, 15:52:12 »

Yo guys! Prototypes are in and will be testes in the following week. I added their pictures to the post.

Woah. Will the final product have that green solder mask? If so, then I know what color Planck lo-pro case I'm buying the next time Massdrop puts b-stock cases up for sale...

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Offline sam278

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 12 March 2019, 19:08:25 »
Any plans for a plate compatible with Hi Pro cases?

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 10:23:30 »

Yes! I'll be designing them today. I think I'll also change the plate cutouts to make it like these

Woah. Will the final product have that green solder mask? If so, then I know what color Planck lo-pro case I'm buying the next time Massdrop puts b-stock cases up for sale...

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

The PCB will be blue with white silkscreen to match the Shark thematic. Our biggest problem is the plate, though. Not as much in the hi-pro case, in the lo-pro the plate is really visible and a big part of the overal look of the keyboard. Problem is, there is a myriad of case colors. So our idea was to take the most neutral plate color possible, which could be black or white. We decided to go with black.

We are looking into making alu colored plates, but I can't guarantee that as we haven't been able to get quotes or anything.

TLDR: the PCB will be blue, the plate will be black

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 17:26:53 »

Done. Hi-pro plates were added to the repo. We'll probably be prototyping them before the GB.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 17:27:21 »

I2C pins were added. Thank you!

Offline sam278

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 18:54:13 »

Done. Hi-pro plates were added to the repo. We'll probably be prototyping them before the GB.

Sweet! I'm looking forward to picking this up since I seriously don't want to order from OLKB. They take so long to ship stuff out I don't want to deal with that again haha.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 20:45:26 »

Sweet! I'm looking forward to picking this up since I seriously don't want to order from OLKB. They take so long to ship stuff out I don't want to deal with that again haha.

Hey!

Thanks for the support haha. While I know that the shipping times of OLKB products are a dealbreaker sometimes, I'll refrain from making comments on that because Jack was truly an amazing guy for this project and was always very supportive.

Offline sam278

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 22:42:44 »

Hey!

Thanks for the support haha. While I know that the shipping times of OLKB products are a dealbreaker sometimes, I'll refrain from making comments on that because Jack was truly an amazing guy for this project and was always very supportive.

Oh yeah of course, I wasn't trying to diss him or anything sorry if it sounded like that. I agree he's done some amazing things for this community, including popularising 40%s and Ortholinear layouts, and I understand he's a one man team so he must be working his ass off haha. Nothing but respect for Jack but im way too impatient to wait for a long time so it's more of a me problem I guess haha.