Author Topic: Has anybody dampened their vintage keyboards with modeling clay?  (Read 2497 times)

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
Car audio enthusiasts use clay to dampen the rattles of car doors and whatnot...so I was thinking that the same trick might help with keyboards. You could dampen the rattles somewhat and improve the thwock from a thwak on lightweight keyboards with the keys bottoming out.

What say  you? 

Offline rm-rf

Re: Has anybody dampened their vintage keyboards with modeling clay?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 22:12:14 »
in my opinion... if its vintage, don't mod it.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 00:29:52 »
For me to dampen the ring and ping overtones in my PC-AT, I used a combination of rattle can plastidip, and paracord core strands in the springs as Oral B Super floss is not available in my area.  Plus the plates have been cut down, and it sits in my keyboard tray with no case. 
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 06:38:21 »
Wasn't there a thread just like this a few month ago?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 07:09:40 »
Wasn't there a thread just like this a few month ago?
This could be said of most threads lately :D

Offline Chromako

• Worshipper of the Topre and IBM Gods
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 05:19:03 »
Modelling Clay... nope. But it's not a bad idea. Reminds me of the Blue-Tack mod for headphones.

I used thin Dynamat- and on the Model F, it.... sorta works. It seems to dampen about, oh, 10-15% of the sound- yes, very unscientific measurements went into that number. The Superfloss mod does work very well, however, but you have to be careful and do it right or you end up with non-functional keys.
Thou Shalt Not Violate Causality, Nor Shalt Thou Invert Thy Spacebar.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 08:23:52 »
The Superfloss mod does work very well, however, but you have to be careful and do it right or you end up with non-functional keys.

The floss cannot be longer than the spring or it will not seat properly.

The easy technique would be to insert the floss in the spring and snip it off at the top, but even with small sharp scissors that leaves an extra millimeter or so.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 22:46:58 »
While I don't use dental floss, I use core strands from paracord, I just insert the cord int the spring, back it out a blonde one, cut, and make sure it sits in fully.  I do get an occasional one that the cap doesn't want to seat right, but I get that with and without the mod. 

On F's my opinion is the vast majority of the rings and rings comes from the springs ratting from the vibrations of every keystroke.  So with the floss, it dampens the vibration just enough, lime putting your finger on a pluked guitar string, but not pressing down to the board/fret.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 08:27:06 »
RavenII is also into car audio and posted his build log where he used sound dampening material called Dynamat to dampen this Nerd60. I thought that was a damn good idea so I don't see why testing out modeling clay would hurt.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 June 2016, 12:56:47 by CPTBadAss »