Author Topic: [GB] Maxkey SA Calm Depths (shifts being made)  (Read 160232 times)

Offline SakeJams

• HAPPINESS ONLY REAL WHEN SHARED
Re: [GB] Maxkey SA Calm Depths (ITS SHIPPING YALL)
« Reply #600 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 19:02:27 »
TFW u put box switches in your board that these caps are going to

Wait why is this a problem?
Box switch stems (aside from the revised versions they're putting out now) are cracking the stems of keycaps and artisans because the horizontal arms are too thick

Offline neoCobweb

« Reply #601 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 19:20:26 »

Box switch stems (aside from the revised versions they're putting out now) are cracking the stems of keycaps and artisans because the horizontal arms are too thick
I put a couple or keys from maxkey ninja on a keyboard with box jades that I wasnt using and I checked later to find stretch marks on the stems... I wasnt even using that keyboard. I would be very careful with box switches.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #602 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 20:36:11 »

oof pls take it ez theyre babies

Offline elightcap

« Reply #603 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 12:20:42 »

Well guess ill just die now.

Offline elightcap

« Reply #604 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 12:38:30 »

just broke out the calipers and measured every stem on my board.  FWIW, mine all seem to be within tolerance specs, so maybe it depends on batch? sorry im sure this conversation has already been had elsewhere, but just my two cents
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 August 2018, 13:00:59 by elightcap »

Offline SakeJams

« Reply #605 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 12:40:03 »

just broke out the calipers and measured every stem on my board.  FWIW, mine all seem to be within tolerance specs, so maybe it depends on batch? sorry im sure this conversation has already been had elsewhere, but just my two cents

I think it does depend on the batch yeah, if it's an early batch I think they're alright. Though the stems that were breaking caps were also in tolerance range so idk

Offline JubJubCity

« Reply #606 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 14:58:30 »
Just received mine and they look amazing. No issues that i have seen so far. Very happy this GB came through and Thanks to Ye_cole for running this GB appreciate it. Will post pictures later after work.

Offline dc_in_sf

• Old Bastard
« Reply #607 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 15:58:32 »
In the set I received the one of the shift keys is 2u.

AFAICT from the layout photo, this was supposed to be 2.25u and not 2u

Here is a photo of the key with the same surrounding keys from the keymap

Harder to tell from the bottom row, but the shift key clearly extends much further into the control key in the layout photo

And no, this is not the 1.75u shift key, it's definitely a 2u shift.

This is a bit of a pain since all my boards are 65->75% form factor and about half of them use a second 2.25u shift key

Offline PurpleURP

« Reply #608 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 17:24:56 »
In the set I received the one of the shift keys is 2u.

AFAICT from the layout photo, this was supposed to be 2.25u and not 2u

Here is a photo of the key with the same surrounding keys from the keymap

Show Image

Harder to tell from the bottom row, but the shift key clearly extends much further into the control key in the layout photo

And no, this is not the 1.75u shift key, it's definitely a 2u shift.

This is a bit of a pain since all my boards are 65->75% form factor and about half of them use a second 2.25u shift key

I'm trying to do a GK64 build, i'd be down to trade / buy that 2u shift from you if my kit doesnt come with one.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #609 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 19:53:35 »
Got my set just now! Impressed with the quality of it all for the price we paid. Thanks for a smooth GB!

Offline Jubileus

« Reply #610 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 00:25:00 »
Nice to hear its shipping!

though I still haven't received my tracking (and I know to check spam/promotions)

sent you a message regarding this @ye_cole

Offline KevlarBear

« Reply #611 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 00:26:34 »
Received mine today! Looks amazing, thanks so much for running this ye_cole :thumb:

Offline MeowiWaui

« Reply #612 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 01:09:25 »
Received mine today! Looks amazing, thanks so much for running this ye_cole :thumb:

If your able share some pics of your set on a board!  ;D
I don't get mine until Thursday, but I would love to see others sets so far...

Offline omgthisnoise

« Reply #613 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 02:58:18 »
Any news regarding EU?

Offline zabuza1997

« Reply #614 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 09:58:40 »
Any news regarding EU?
David told me its gonna ship next monday

Offline omgthisnoise

« Reply #615 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 11:00:54 »
Sweet, that means we should have it until the end of August.

Offline elightcap

« Reply #616 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 12:25:35 »
I'm really happy with how they came out! i know we had our delays, but at the end of it all, i think comms were great, and the end result is something I'm happy to have on my board. Thanks Ye!

Offline dc_in_sf

• Old Bastard
« Reply #617 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 14:51:10 »
Clueboard with Calm Depths

You can see the gap around the right shift (the layout requires a 2nd 2.25u shift vs the 2u shift in the kit I received), though it is much obvious from above.

I'd love it if someone who has received their set can confirm the size of the extra not 1.75u  shift key (i.e. do you have a 2u or 2.25u shift key)

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #618 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 16:23:01 »

Show Image

You can see the gap around the right shift (the layout requires a 2nd 2.25u shift vs the 2u shift in the kit I received), though it is much obvious from above.

I'd love it if someone who has received their set can confirm the size of the extra not 1.75u  shift key (i.e. do you have a 2u or 2.25u shift key)

I most definitely have a 2u shift

Offline dc_in_sf

• Old Bastard
« Reply #619 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 16:44:32 »

Show Image

I most definitely have a 2u shift

Thanks for the confirmation. I was afraid of that. The layout photo shows 2 x 2.25u shift keys AFAICT, I'm wondering what happened?

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #620 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 17:41:27 »
Yep, 2u shift...
202403-0

Kit looks awesome though, spot on, thanks for a good gb ye_cole!
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 August 2018, 17:43:07 by jrfhoutx »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #621 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 18:01:36 »
Extras?

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #622 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 18:42:37 »
Extras?

Those won't be available. Sorry!

Thanks for the confirmation. I was afraid of that. The layout photo shows 2 x 2.25u shift keys AFAICT, I'm wondering what happened?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what happened. I'll contact maxkey and ask what they can do about it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 August 2018, 18:45:44 by ye_cole »

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #623 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 20:11:26 »
Hey guys, maxkey said they would offer replacements for free- I'm not sure when they are going to come in, though.

I'm going to leave this up for two weeks or so and see who needs another 2.25u shift.

Also, unfortunately, I cannot offer these for free- I have to pay shipping on these.

They're going to be 6.50 each, and I apologize that I'm charging again to have a key that was supposed to already be in the set. However, shipping these keys again to you guys individually will be expensive, and I can't afford another round of shipping charges.

Here's the form to enter if you would like a replacement cap. (NOTE: You MUST have been in the original group buy to request another shift.)

You will not be charged until the shifts come in, and I'm not sure when they're coming in. They may take a while.

Also, please do not enter this if you are not in the US without PMing me.

https://goo.gl/forms/jNgeYRXaVs17heEJ2

For the curious, here's what they said

Shift of 2.25x should only be used by 660 users.
I can make  2.25x shifts, but it will take some time, because I'm making new molds, and I'll send them to you, and you can send them to the buyers in need.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 August 2018, 20:14:14 by ye_cole »

Offline dc_in_sf

• Old Bastard
« Reply #624 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 00:42:55 »
Hey guys, maxkey said they would offer replacements for free- I'm not sure when they are going to come in, though.

I'm going to leave this up for two weeks or so and see who needs another 2.25u shift.

Also, unfortunately, I cannot offer these for free- I have to pay shipping on these.

They're going to be 6.50 each, and I apologize that I'm charging again to have a key that was supposed to already be in the set. However, shipping these keys again to you guys individually will be expensive, and I can't afford another round of shipping charges.

Here's the form to enter if you would like a replacement cap. (NOTE: You MUST have been in the original group buy to request another shift.)

You will not be charged until the shifts come in, and I'm not sure when they're coming in. They may take a while.

Also, please do not enter this if you are not in the US without PMing me.

https://goo.gl/forms/jNgeYRXaVs17heEJ2

For the curious, here's what they said

Shift of 2.25x should only be used by 660 users.
I can make  2.25x shifts, but it will take some time, because I'm making new molds, and I'll send them to you, and you can send them to the buyers in need.

Thanks for chasing this up ye_cole. I have no problems paying the additional shipping to eventually get a 2.25u shift.

I've already discovered in this hobby that the keyboard you intended to put a set on is not always the keyboard it ends up on, so best to cover your bases. For me that means having a 2.25u and 1.75u right shift option, a control key for the capslock slot and some 1u modifiers for the bottom row (covers all my not very exotic 65-75% boards), so I try to ensure all the sets I buy have that coverage.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #625 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 11:45:37 »
OP, could you please repost all the GB info? Like pricing details and whatnot? It's good to have as reference...

Offline SakeJams

« Reply #626 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 17:37:12 »
Here's my calm depths on it's temporary RS96 home! Waiting in replacement box navies to come in to put it on my Melody96

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #627 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 22:04:47 »
Got mine today too! They'll be chilling in the box for a while, but I have a plan for them :)

Offline boogiemanspud

« Reply #628 on: Sat, 25 August 2018, 20:15:10 »
 :)) https://www.massdrop.com/buy/maxkey-sa-f-22-keycap-set  looks like maxkey might have had some leftovers!  :))

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #629 on: Sat, 25 August 2018, 21:02:13 »
:)) https://www.massdrop.com/buy/maxkey-sa-f-22-keycap-set  looks like maxkey might have had some leftovers!  :))

hMM

digging the alphas on this

Offline mnpq.raven

« Reply #630 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 09:14:43 »

Hello, first time poster here. Did ye_cole test the stems and how they fit into box switches ? as this set is going to my white box keyboard, would be a shame if it wouldn't fit

Offline SakeJams

« Reply #631 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 10:43:58 »

Hello, first time poster here. Did ye_cole test the stems and how they fit into box switches ? as this set is going to my white box keyboard, would be a shame if it wouldn't fit
So I put my calm depths caps on my box switches just to see what they look like on the board, and left them on for maybe 5 hours max and took them off. As I took them off I noticed the majority of the caps had stretch marks on the stems, and they were an incredibly tight fit on the switches. I also decided to leave one cap on a box switch (a cap I'll likely never use) to test out if/when the stem will break. So far it's been about a week and I have seen any actual cracks on the cap stem but there are definitely stretch marks. I make an effort to spam press the switch every day to see how it holds up to being used. I'm uncertain at this point whether or not the cap will actually crack or not, but so far it hasn't so idk. So I suppose if the stretch marks are the worst of the damage to expect, you could always just say screw it and throw them on.

Offline Hokabuki

[GB] Maxkey SA Calm Depths (ITS SHIPPING YALL)
« Reply #632 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 10:50:31 »

So I put my calm depths caps on my box switches just to see what they look like on the board, and left them on for maybe 5 hours max and took them off. As I took them off I noticed the majority of the caps had stretch marks on the stems, and they were an incredibly tight fit on the switches. I also decided to leave one cap on a box switch (a cap I'll likely never use) to test out if/when the stem will break. So far it's been about a week and I have seen any actual cracks on the cap stem but there are definitely stretch marks. I make an effort to spam press the switch every day to see how it holds up to being used. I'm uncertain at this point whether or not the cap will actually crack or not, but so far it hasn't so idk. So I suppose if the stretch marks are the worst of the damage to expect, you could always just say screw it and throw them on.

Stretch marks on the stems indicate that the caps are plastically deforming. That means that even if they don’t actually crack, they will be loose on non-box switches. The damage has been done. I would advise not putting this set on a box switch if there is any possibility of the set being put on a non-box switch board in the future.

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #633 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 11:49:00 »
Box switches can jack up your keycaps due to the design oversight in their stem. It has nothing to do with the keycaps themselves, and if you put them on said switches you're rolling the dice on how bad that damage could be.

I'm still mourning the loss of my Laser sets, and will be putting these on Tealios myself.

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #634 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 13:27:01 »
Box switches can jack up your keycaps due to the design oversight in their stem. It has nothing to do with the keycaps themselves, and if you put them on said switches you're rolling the dice on how bad that damage could be.

I'm still mourning the loss of my Laser sets, and will be putting these on Tealios myself.

It wasn't an oversight, it was intentional. before the enthusiast community started buying box switches a client requested the change to the stems, kailh obliged because that was the only client buying them at the time.

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #635 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 16:12:10 »

It wasn't an oversight, it was intentional. before the enthusiast community started buying box switches a client requested the change to the stems, kailh obliged because that was the only client buying them at the time.

Im aware of that. The oversight was assuming that the new width was going to be fine for everyone else's keycaps and just distributing it as such.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #636 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 19:25:03 »

they will, but don't expect them to go on another board well. They may also damage the caps themselves- i'd strongly advise against mounting these on box switches for now. Kalih is making a new batch with better tolerances, you may want to wait for that if you really want to use box switches.

Offline neoCobweb

« Reply #637 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 20:11:03 »
Got mine today in Canada and they look amazing! Thanks ye!

Offline KevlarBear

« Reply #638 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 19:15:21 »
Finally got around to take a picture of mine, loving it so far!

DZ60 with lubed Tealios
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 August 2018, 19:20:34 by KevlarBear »

Offline PurpleURP

« Reply #639 on: Fri, 31 August 2018, 16:15:36 »

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #640 on: Fri, 31 August 2018, 18:52:42 »
Finally got around to take a picture of mine, loving it so far!
Show Image

DZ60 with lubed Tealios

That cable really makes it all come together  :thumb:

Offline online

« Reply #641 on: Mon, 03 September 2018, 19:25:44 »
Still no news on EU orders.
Wish Candykey is more active on updating here.

Offline omgthisnoise

« Reply #642 on: Tue, 04 September 2018, 06:22:39 »
I messaged David from CK and he said that the keycaps are still in transit. But I have to say this was 5 days ago so maybe something has changed in the meantime.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #643 on: Wed, 05 September 2018, 19:44:06 »
no current ETA for shifts, but maxkey told me that they're going to make it when they finish making the mold. not 100% sure what that means, but i've requested an ETA.

Offline JamesOFarrell

« Reply #644 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 22:36:19 »
What happened with the SE aisa orders that were cancelled then re-ordered through NA? Did they ship out with the batch from Kono?

Offline Jubileus

« Reply #645 on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 00:10:16 »
What happened with the SE aisa orders that were cancelled then re-ordered through NA? Did they ship out with the batch from Kono?

I had to pm ye_cole and email someone from kono about that and seems those are still not shipped.
Still waiting for updates from either sides. :(

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #646 on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 10:32:20 »
I had to pm ye_cole and email someone from kono about that and seems those are still not shipped.
Still waiting for updates from either sides. :(

Hey, sorry about this! Kono told me your order shipped, and I honestly don't check my PMs very often. I'll get to the bottom of this.

Yes, they should have.

Offline omgthisnoise

« Reply #647 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 06:17:49 »
Got my keycaps yesterday from candykeys. Just wanted to say a big thank you to ye_cole and David from candykeys for making all this possible. It fits my white fox perfectly.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 September 2018, 16:41:31 by omgthisnoise »

Offline Jubileus

« Reply #648 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 07:04:22 »
Hey, sorry about this! Kono told me your order shipped, and I honestly don't check my PMs very often. I'll get to the bottom of this.

I still haven't received any confirmation  :(

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #649 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 10:10:24 »
I still haven't received any confirmation  :(

Followed up with them, turns out they lost a unit.  someone else also had their order returned to sender. They're going to re-ship that, and I'm going to ship you an unused set myself whenever it comes in, which should be in a couple days.

I apologize for all the delays you've been experiencing.