Author Topic: New Keyboard Rosewill Helios RK-9200  (Read 9691 times)

Offline file_id

New Keyboard Rosewill Helios RK-9200
« on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 10:04:04 »
Saw this on Engadget. Not my cup of tea though, but someone might be excited.

Rosewill® will debut a world first, Rosewill® Helios RK-9200 Dual LED Backlit Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with Cherry MX Switches in Blue, Red, Brown, and Black. It supports Red or Green Backlit LEDs and allows independent color control of the vital WASD and 4 directional arrow gaming keys while allowing you to choose between 5 global brightness modes.
\\
DS3 White YOTS (Blue)|Poker 2 (Blue,Clear)|QFR Rapid-i TKL (Brown,Blue)|QFR Rapid TKL (Blue,Red,Brown)|KBP V60 (Blue,Clear,Matias Click)|Code TKL Clear|Filco MJ2 TKL (Blue)|Filco MJ2 Ninja Beige TKL (Brown)|Novatouch

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Re: New Keyboard Rosewill Helios RK-9200
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 10:08:05 »
Looks like Costar based on modifier size. One can hope...

Offline uJalled

• Shrimp cracker enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 10:11:36 »
Case design looks almost identical to Filco... Another Rosewill joins the lineup  :-[

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 10:22:48 »
Same Filco style casebody as 9000, most likely it is costar. Seems kind of odd that they even bothered with that other backlight board with the stupid keysizes if they had this one in the works.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 13:22:42 »
That's a Costar for sure. But again, Costar can build complete crap. Stop pretending they can't. If NewEgg says "cut corners" then corners will be cut. If NewEgg says "make it flawless" then it will be flawless.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline Melchior

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 14:01:26 »
Most Intriguing !

Anyone know if this is PS/2 or USB?

What about 'Orange' Mode (Red + Green LED's both on at same time) ?
Ducky ONE    |   CM Recon

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 14:06:11 »
Is that a detachable USB cable I see? If so, this can only end one way.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline jamdox

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 14:13:12 »
Costar is doing backlit now? I heard the 9100 was iRocks... all I know is it had dust inside the case.  Maybe this explains why Newegg is listing the 9100 as discontinued.
AEKII
Ducky Shine II w/ Clears
NMB RT8256CW+

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 14:19:27 »
The RK-9200 is a fairly direct copy of a floor demo from Costar at some trade show.  Forget where I saw the pics.  You cannot get both red and green at the same time on any single switch.  It's a trick with anode and cathode on both leads, so current flows one way and you get red, the other you get green.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Melchior

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 14:23:53 »
IIRC There were rumors of EXACTLY this (A back-lit costar) board.

The white RK-9000 has a PS/2 or USB detachable cable... I remain hopeful. (Although most PS/2 ports have PTC's and I'm not sure of the current limit for those PS/2 pins)

Also about the 'Orange' mode - that is true, simply that the power supplied to the LED's is high frequency AC instead of DC. [Slightly more complex electronics...]
Ducky ONE    |   CM Recon

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 14:33:38 »
More Rosewill? I haven't tried their boards yet, but people seem to be standing on the fence a bit about them. Hopefully this brings people off, one way or another.
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 14:40:04 »
The RK-9200 is a fairly direct copy of a floor demo from Costar at some trade show.  Forget where I saw the pics.  You cannot get both red and green at the same time on any single switch.  It's a trick with anode and cathode on both leads, so current flows one way and you get red, the other you get green.

Ugh. Seriously? They used that kind, instead of multi-lead or voltage select LEDs even? Already hating the hell out of the design. Not like multi-lead or voltage select parts are more expensive, and the voltage bias types are easier to work with.

And yes. That is definitely a detachable USB cable. Again. Also I'd rate PS/2 as unlikely just because of changing the LED colors.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline m_enanos

• tbb
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 15:08:06 »
Looks cool though. Lets see if the decide to release them in europe.

Offline Aardwolf

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 05:14:22 »
Just out of curiosity, to me this looks awesome, with colored LEDS!! Where does the negativity in this thread come from? Are there better alternatives to this? Are there any known problems with this one?

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 11:50:26 »
I donno where their negativity comes from.

Rosewill has been selling cherry switch keyboards for over a year and getting thousands of complaints about them breaking.  Rosewill designed the keyboard to break on purpose.  Why do ppl get negative about that?

I waited a whole year to give them time to fix any accidental problems.  After 1 year of waiting I bought a Rosewill RK-9000RE for $70.00.  It was a wonderful keyboard!  Cherry Red Bliss.  For 25 days.  On day 26 it broke.  What is to be negative about?
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 19:57:06 »
It's Costar. Same colors and everything as their prototype from half a year ago

My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline jabar

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 20:33:54 »
I would consider getting one if they'd drop the logo off the case.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 23:12:08 »
Most Intriguing !

Yeah, why they don't mix the color? Sorry for the noobie question  ;D

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 15:52:44 »
Most Intriguing !

Yeah, why they don't mix the color? Sorry for the noobie question  ;D

Uh reason being that it only has 1 LED per switch.  The way it achieves red is by running current one direction, and when it runs in reverse direction it turns green.  So you can only have red OR or green on at a time.

Personally I think if they can fix the mini b plug issue, I'd actually prefer this over Ducky.  Like they should've just done RK-9100 with this design and blue LED, then I would've bought one already.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 05:36:16 »
Except Cherry Corp redesign MX switches, our led color still control by manufacturers? That's sad  :'(

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 14:25:36 »
Some more info on this keyboard:

[CES 2013] New Rosewill backlit keyboard feature a more durable USB connector and dual color WASD/Arrow Key/Win

http://techreport.com/news/24195/backlit-gaming-keyboards-on-the-way-from-rosewill
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 14:32:37 »

Rosewill has been selling cherry switch keyboards for over a year and getting thousands of complaints about them breaking.  Rosewill designed the keyboard to break on purpose.  Why do ppl get negative about that?

I waited a whole year to give them time to fix any accidental problems.  After 1 year of waiting I bought a Rosewill RK-9000RE for $70.00.  It was a wonderful keyboard!  Cherry Red Bliss.  For 25 days.  On day 26 it broke.  What is to be negative about?

was it the cable?

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 16:33:23 »

was it the cable?

I read his other thread and yupe still the cable issue even though it's suppose to be "fixed".  I really really really hope it's really "fixed" this time on the RK-9200 models.

But I'm not big on red and green, hopefully they'll release another color combinations.  Maybe blue and white?  (since they both use the same voltage)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 16:39:54 »
But I'm not big on red and green, hopefully they'll release another color combinations.  Maybe blue and white?  (since they both use the same voltage)

It would be called The Eye Strainer (TM).