Author Topic: Ducky 3 Daybreak letter "m" not working. What to solder?  (Read 2409 times)

Offline DeeAhTee

Ducky 3 Daybreak letter "m" not working. What to solder?
« on: Sun, 29 October 2023, 01:43:06 »
Hopefully this is the right area to post!

I used a multimeter and tested continuity on the Kailh switch and it showed nothing. I thought I'd I replaced it, it would work. However, still nothing (but it's black now!). I looked online and noticed people mentioned that you could solder some of the pads together to make a key work again.

Does anyone know which pads I need to solder?

Offline wjrii

Re: Ducky 3 Daybreak letter "m" not working. What to solder?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 October 2023, 20:53:23 »
This is a tough one, but you need to see where the issue is.  Test the switch itself, removed from the hotswap.  Make sure it's not the simplest issue.  Then, start checking continuity between the various pads the PCB gives you access to.  Your right side pad looks a bit iffy compared to the rest of the board, but it could be fine.  Check it and the left side, with the switch pressed or shorted.  Then, check the left pad to the D87 diode, each D87 pad in turn, and the two pads of the diode itself for good measure.  For anything that crosses the diode,  make sure your multi-meter is set correctly. I had a lifted pad, and had some success with jumpering the left side (as we see it in your pic) of the hotswap to the diode, and even slightly better using a through-hole diode to bypass the board's diode completely.  But ultimately, the traces in my PCB were compromised, and I could never make it stick reliably enough for a high-use key (space bar).  I eventually gave up and converted that board to a hand-wire. 

I'm sure there are people here who have forgotten more about repair work than I'll ever know, but that might be a good start.

Offline DeeAhTee

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 October 2023, 23:08:04 »
This was super helpful!

I checked the cherry switch and it's fine. I used a nearby switch and that didn't work either. I checked all continuity and it's ONLY dead on the pads themselves. The picture I showed you was actually me removing the pad (so it's not actually connected) but when it was connected, it wouldn't work. Testing on nearby pads shows that there's connectivity.

If you were to handwire, how do you know where it would go? From what I learned on youtube, you're supposed to figure out the column and row to know where to handwire it back in? The row works absolutely fine, so I'm wondering if that deduces any possibilities. What pad should I hand wire it to? (or how would I be able to find out for the Ducky 3 Daybreak?)

Offline wjrii

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 October 2023, 12:05:19 »
So, first, We are quickly getting to the edge of my expertise.  Just fair warning.   :thumb:

If everything else is working fine, and 'M' is the only broken key, then whatever the issue is, it's likely localized to the immediate area around your black hotswap socket there.  If I were trying to repair this myself, here's what I would try:

Per my annotated pic, use a jumper wire to short "1a and "2a," the spots where the legs of the keyswitch go. Then test continuity between 1 and 2, 1 and 3, 1 and 4, 2 and 3, 2 and 4, and 3 and 4 (set your meter up to accommodate the diode direction for anything involving #4).  Wherever you find the loss of continuity, handwire a jumper or bridge, including a new diode if necessary (though that seems unlikely). Well, don't jump 1 to anything else based solely on what I have here, LOL.  That would be bad for other reasons.

I had lifted the "#2" pad on my keyboard, so I bridged from 2 to 3, and that worked okay for a while.  When it didn't work over the long haul, I tried to rework my solder job on 2 and that also worked for a bit. That stopped and I handwired a diode between 2 and 4.  That worked for even longer (not necessarily for the reasons I thought), but eventually failed as well.  I think the torn pad affected traces nearby, or all my efforts messed up the socket, or something, and eventually whatever I'd fixed came loose.  Instead of beating my head against the wall and scraping , I used the whole board as practice for handwiring a large matrix.  Lost my LEDs, and indicators, pending some more delicate work on my "new" circuitry, but it works again.  The nuclear option, I guess.  :-)

What I'm not sure about is #4 goes next.  On my handwires, it would go to equivalent spots on the keys on either side, but there are no guarantees.  Might be worth trying if the keyboard is otherwise useless to you and the other spots don't help.  There's a real possibility that someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in though.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 October 2023, 12:17:41 by wjrii »