Author Topic: Really slim monitor / TV  (Read 4769 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Really slim monitor / TV
« on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 10:53:53 »
I'm trying to find some really slim / thin monitor, or TV for PC.
Do you guys know any like that?

Not maybe slim like LG Signature TV, but pretty much slim.
I liked those AOC ultra slim monitors that had in the past - having all electronic bits and pieces in the stand.
Thing is I'm after at least 27-32".

Is there anything like that on market?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Really slim monitor / TV
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 15:52:00 »
For PC monitor in this size, you want a Curved VA-panel.  Best image quality, forget about flat panels, they're yesterday.

Samsung has the highest curvature, 1500R,  they're also releasing a 1000R, even m0ar curve.

Offline phinix

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 03:08:28 »
For PC monitor in this size, you want a Curved VA-panel.  Best image quality, forget about flat panels, they're yesterday.

Samsung has the highest curvature, 1500R,  they're also releasing a 1000R, even m0ar curve.

I use 40" 4K VA Philips flat lcd, which is great.

Why would you go curved? I thought it was just a gimmick when they released it ages ago...
Plus those 1000R are only 1080p?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 07:53:16 »

Why would you go curved? I thought it was just a gimmick when they released it ages ago...

VA has contrast drift on the left and right edges , Curved makes a huge difference. It's not a gimmick. 

They' stopped making curved TVs in the high end, but only because people do crazy things like watch movies with other people. That's insane, everybody gets their own TV, that' should be law.

It's a bit more pain in the butt, because you might have to exchange the monitor a few times with amazon/ costco to combat the backlight bleeds these days (especially given the curve.)   But that's why they allow exchanges.

Refer to This vvv, thread for the description on Viewing Geometry of curved Panels.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=100774.msg2765153#msg2765153

Offline yui

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 08:53:02 »
usually multi monitor setups do have a curve to them, so make sense that a extra wide monitor would have a curve, back to the point TP4 knows his stuff when it comes to screen, may be a bit over the top but you can trust his knowledge of them.
Although too much curve can be a thing depending on where you sit, if you are way far away you may not want curve, but that is not a typical PC use-case.
Speaking of screen anyone knows if there was a thin hi-res 4:3 screen ever made, i liked 4:3 for reading web pages and code?
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 09:07:41 »
Speaking of screen anyone knows if there was a thin hi-res 4:3 screen ever made, i liked 4:3 for reading web pages and code?

You buy an 86 Inch 4K LG TV if you need IPS, or an 82" Samsung for VA

Then you sit across the room, and set it to 4:3 mode to render 2880x2160.

Any 4:3 monitor you can buy today are either small, or have bad image quality.

Offline phinix

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 10:23:35 »

VA has contrast drift on the left and right edges , Curved makes a huge difference. It's not a gimmick. 

They' stopped making curved TVs in the high end, but only because people do crazy things like watch movies with other people. That's insane, everybody gets their own TV, that' should be law.

It's a bit more pain in the butt, because you might have to exchange the monitor a few times with amazon/ costco to combat the backlight bleeds these days (especially given the curve.)   But that's why they allow exchanges.

Refer to This vvv, thread for the description on Viewing Geometry of curved Panels.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=100774.msg2765153#msg2765153

That's cool, but those 1000R are only 1080p.
32" would need to be QHD.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 10:26:22 »

That's cool, but those 1000R are only 1080p.
32" would need to be QHD.

Well, they'll make qhd for 1000r eventually.

For now you can do qhd 1500r.

Offline yui

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 02:33:44 »

You buy an 86 Inch 4K LG TV if you need IPS, or an 82" Samsung for VA

Then you sit across the room, and set it to 4:3 mode to render 2880x2160.

Any 4:3 monitor you can buy today are either small, or have bad image quality.

thanks for your answer.

just a question, and some background info.
when you said small, you were talking 15 inch or more like 22+inch? (sorry to doubt your scale but i do think reading your screen stuff that you might be a bit biased towards huge screens)
my current setup is 3 22in 1080p 10:16 screens with one vertical in the center was only planing on changing the center one, not going berserk with 4k 80+inch
(and when i said hi-res i meant 1080-1440p territory, i do not think a fury nano can handle 4k, even less 3 of them and upgrades do not seem to come from amd soon)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 08:36:51 »

It's a combination of factors which converge in Tp4's-M0n1tar-Recommendatz.

The larger the monitor, the more usage scenarios that can be covered. We can render images smaller than the monitor, but not larger.

The Natural resting focal distance of the eye is ~1.5+ meters same with resting vergence. eye muscles are at rest beyond this resting distance.

Contrast ratio is important, because that's what makes images POP.

Works well with PC.

You put all of these factors you get, VA-panel + BIG + Curved. 

Your digital portal is the most important and most-used Interface in modern daily life. Its FUNCTIONAL-importance is above that of the following:

Appearance of decor
Appearance of room layout
Mechanical Dimension of support mechanisms, chairs/tables/walls