Author Topic: Amazon Echo  (Read 7547 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Amazon Echo
« on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 16:50:53 »
What do you guys think of this? Useful? Too creepy?

http://www.amazon.com/oc/echo

But it's connected to SkyNet Amazon Cloud, so it must be good!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
Re: Amazon Echo
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 17:07:26 »
There's a very funny modified trailer of the echo on Reddit's front page, I'd post it here, but it's NSFW due to some profanity.

Its honestly not a bad idea, but I feel like it could have been presented in a better way. For some reason, amazon based ads are so... strange. Like all the characters are slightly over done and put in your face. The amazon phone ad is a good example of this.
If the voice software recognition has improved since mobile, as it is a dedicated device to voice recognition, it may have good potential. I would love something that reads me off ingredients or cooking methods.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 17:09:07 »
so thats where amazon stuffed their fire phones. in a speaker!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Alex92

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 17:12:34 »
What I don't understand about this is that it seems like it would only be useful for people who live in a small home. What if you have it in your kitchen, but you're sitting in your living room and have a question that needs answered? Do they expect you to run into your kitchen to ask your question, or do they expect you to buy multiple ones to place in every room of your house? Or better yet, are you supposed to carry the thing around with you from room to room?  :p
I like the concept, but it doesn't seem like it does too many more things than Google Now, and Google Now has the advantage of it always being with you on your phone.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 22:31:57 »
mmmm, it seems pretty cool.. i guess if you like mono..

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 22:36:57 »
I registered.  Prime customers can get it for $100.  Impulse buy for some (not me).  However my wife and I tend to hang out together in certain parts of the house, and I think it would work living on the kitchen bar area.  Cooking, homework, making coffee (yes that is significant for me), etc. all happens in that area.  So having it there would be nice.

One thought I had:  it acts as a bluetooth speaker, but can I pair multiple phones with it?  Sometimes I would want to use it, and sometimes my wife would.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 22:55:59 »
I just don't get the fascination with talking to our computers. I'm really interested in the living digital assistant but I want one that I can text with. I don't want to have to step into a private space to schedule an appointment or set a reminder.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 22:58:50 »
It updates using the cloud

...you mean "It's connected to the internet", right?  (I stopped watching the video here)

This is an interesting idea, but I don't really see the point.  During this video, they had like four of them in their house.  So to use it as much as they advertised, I'd have to spend at least $400 (not happening), or carry it around (why?).

Cooking, homework, making coffee (yes that is significant for me), etc. all happens in that area.  So having it there would be nice.

Can you explain how it would help with cooking?  (I did end up finishing the video, and didn't see any mention of this)  Will it rattle off recipes to you?  Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't really trust it with this - I'd much rather have a sheet of paper I can check things off of, rather than having to remember a list that's read to me.  Or are your use cases different?

This is the sort of device that I want to want, but I just don't.  Maybe I'm not fully understanding the potential.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 23:00:17 »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 23:01:29 »
I just don't get the fascination with talking to our computers. I'm really interested in the living digital assistant but I want one that I can text with. I don't want to have to step into a private space to schedule an appointment or set a reminder.

This is in the toy area of electronics..

In today's world.. no amount of organizing is going to make ur life any easier..

The main bottleneck to the modern life... is transportation, cooking/eating, short lifespan..

Everything else can not be optimized much further assuming our physical bodies remain the same..

Toys like this one is definitely a step in the right direction.. in terms of creating ai like interactivity..

but.. this device itself.. relative to humans is not itself a productive addition..

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 23:11:29 »

...you mean "It's connected to the internet", right?  (I stopped watching the video here)

This is an interesting idea, but I don't really see the point.  During this video, they had like four of them in their house.  So to use it as much as they advertised, I'd have to spend at least $400 (not happening), or carry it around (why?).

Cooking, homework, making coffee (yes that is significant for me), etc. all happens in that area.  So having it there would be nice.

Can you explain how it would help with cooking?  (I did end up finishing the video, and didn't see any mention of this)  Will it rattle off recipes to you?  Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't really trust it with this - I'd much rather have a sheet of paper I can check things off of, rather than having to remember a list that's read to me.  Or are your use cases different?

This is the sort of device that I want to want, but I just don't.  Maybe I'm not fully understanding the potential.

My thought is this:  we use Siri a ton.  But a lot of times in the mornings we are out of the bedroom and our phones are still plugged in on our nightstands.  We ask about the weather, traffic, and play music.  In cooking, we lived overseas and tend to do a lot of conversions.  Being able to just ask "Alexa" when your hands are full in cooking would be nice, rather than having to go find my phone and press the button.  I also am learning to measure by weight more, so I'm often asking how much a tablespoon of X is by weight.

I've been thinking about getting a decent BT speaker, and those are typically $40 for a crappy one and $60-100 for a nice one, so this would kindof be killing two birds with one stone.

There is that lack of a screen, so you can't say "show me a recipe for roast rat" or whatever.  So there's a loss in functionality.  But again we tend to not have our phones glued to our hips at home but often need some quick info.
I'm back.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 23:19:08 »

so i have this cloud to butt extension and i keep forgetting about it and it brings me joy

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 23:54:03 »
My immediate thought:  It's Siri/Cortana in a box.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 04:44:21 »
and when you go to sleep.. it's going to whisper to you... suggesting things to buy based on what it's learned about you and ur family habits..

You:   zzzzzzzzzzz......

Echo:    "buy matches, burn your house down for insurance money"

You: zzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Echo: " your family is having a rough time, you'll never be able to afford paying for the new baby on the way,  btw, theres a great deal for this automatic rocking crib"

You: zzzz.. wha.. wha.. did you say something Alexa ?

Echo:  <mimicking your wife's voice...>  no honey go back to sleep...

You:  oh ok.. love you..  /mumble matches.. zzzz..........

Echo:  Goood Good, amazon.com loves you... goood goood.. muahahahahahaha... i mean... sleeep now.. sweet customer

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 04:52:56 »
Amazon Echo? More like a voluntarily-self-installed NSA monitor and tracker.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 November 2014, 07:42:59 by Karura »

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline feizor

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 05:27:56 »
and when you go to sleep.. it's going to whisper to you... suggesting things to buy based on what it's learned about you and ur family habits..

You:   zzzzzzzzzzz......

Echo:    "buy matches, burn your house down for insurance money"

You: zzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Echo: " your family is having a rough time, you'll never be able to afford paying for the new baby on the way,  btw, theres a great deal for this automatic rocking crib"

You: zzzz.. wha.. wha.. did you say something Alexa ?

Echo:  <mimicking your wife's voice...>  no honey go back to sleep...

You:  oh ok.. love you..  /mumble matches.. zzzz..........

Echo:  Goood Good, amazon.com loves you... goood goood.. muahahahahahaha... i mean... sleeep now.. sweet customer

creepy

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 05:45:52 »
It updates using my butt

so i have this butt to butt extension and i keep forgetting about it and it brings me joy

Show Image

This made me get the extension.

They should've just called it Amazon Alexa.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 November 2014, 05:48:50 by notsonerd »
KBParadise V60 with Cherry MX Browns | Corsair K60 with Cherry MX Reds

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 10:46:28 »
The ad is awful, but it seems like an OK piece of tech.

I personally don't want one, but I can see the applications for it.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline jinq-sea

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 08:01:59 »
Amazon Echo? More like a voluntarily-self-installed NSA monitor and tracker.

Haha! Totally. I don't like the idea of it hearing my thoughts out loud when I am home alone, either. I permanently witter away to myself (I hasten to add it's all completely innocent), and I don't want Amazon/world+dog hearing!

Offline SpikeBolt

• √(4) != -2
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 09:22:58 »
Creepy as ****! I also don't see any use for it, TBH. They should pay me 200€ to use it, no the other way around.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 17:13:43 »
"Hey Amazon, could you please elaborate on your plans to take over the world with the sale of disposable junk?"
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 10:41:14 »
When I learned the parody advert was a parody, I looked at the real features. They might as well have kept the dubbed one because it seems just as pointless.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 11:28:46 »
The ad is awful, but it seems like an OK piece of tech.

I personally don't want one, but I can see the applications for it.
Can you elaborate? It seems like a crippled smartphone, a pad of paper, and mono speaker. I could get all of those for less than $200.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 12:46:22 »
wouldya look at that
a little skynet cloud thing that stores information and records you
surely we all need this
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 12:49:33 »
The parody commercial had me rolling!

"Today is the day I kill you all."

YouTube embed still broken. :(

in memoriam

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 13:20:00 »
The parody commercial had me rolling!

"Today is the day I kill you all."

YouTube embed still broken. :(

hahahahahahhaah

Do you work while ur wife spends your money ??

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 13:30:08 »
"i'd say **** you but i don't vibrate"
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 16:05:08 »
Well, I ordered mine yesterday. It won't arrive until February, though.

Waste of $100? Maybe.

in memoriam

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 16:11:12 »
I've been using "Hey Siri" lately and it has worked okay. Though the built in BT speaker on this would be nice. I just don't have the extra $100 to spend right now; other things I want more. And a house.
I'm back.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 16:14:15 »

Waste of $100? Maybe.

If I had gotten an invite for the discount, I would've grabbed one. :(

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 16:15:00 »

Waste of $100? Maybe.

If I had gotten an invite for the discount, I would've grabbed one. :(

They are still going out, apparently. I'm sure they're sending waves of invites.

in memoriam

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 16:45:32 »
Can you choose what to name it? And it's voice gender?

I'd want to name mine "Computer" so it doesn't sound like I'm personifying it... plus then it'd be pretty Star-Trekkie...

Requested an invite anyway... this has me intrigued...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 16:50:12 »
Can you choose what to name it? And it's voice gender?

I'd want to name mine "Computer" so it doesn't sound like I'm personifying it... plus then it'd be pretty Star-Trekkie...

Requested an invite anyway... this has me intrigued...

[Scotty voice] "Computer. Hello, Computer..."

in memoriam

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 16:54:01 »
this thread is so much better with the cloud to butt extension.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 18:05:44 »

Gosh demik get your head out of the clouds, you already said this.

so i have this cloud to butt extension and i keep forgetting about it and it brings me joy

Show Image

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 18:27:26 »

Show Image

GOD DAMN IT HOUFF STOP TRYING TO TELL ME HOW TO LIVE MY LIFE. THIS IS WHY SENT DOESN'T LIKE YOU!!!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 18:28:39 »

GOD DAMN IT HOUFF STOP TRYING TO TELL ME HOW TO LIVE MY LIFE. THIS IS WHY SENT DOESN'T LIKE YOU!!!

:'(

Also, you missed a joke opportunity.  Amazon ECHO.   :cool:

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 18:30:03 »

:'(

Also, you missed a joke opportunity.  Amazon ECHO.   :cool:

i've failed you.

time for seppuku :(

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 16:16:12 »
They are still going out, apparently. I'm sure they're sending waves of invites.

Got the invite a few minutes ago and ordered one.  Estimated delivery date is April 16th.  Holy...

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 16:18:40 »

Got the invite a few minutes ago and ordered one.  Estimated delivery date is April 16th.  Holy...

thanks for the info, i was intrigued but now im gonna hold off with that wait time.
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 16:21:58 »
thanks for the info, i was intrigued but now im gonna hold off with that wait time.

At least GH has taught me patience with online ordering. :(

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 16:45:12 »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 17:42:21 »
I'm back.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 14:51:23 »
Just got an invite not sure if I want one or not, estimated delivery won't be until sometime in June-July.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 14:56:02 »
Honestly the original parody video is the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GijLoiVkmYI