Author Topic: Why do I not feel like the HHKB is superior?  (Read 23349 times)

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
Why do I not feel like the HHKB is superior?
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 11:14:37 »
The stock keycaps that come with the HHKB are not slick to me at least.  Actually I'd say there is a fair amount of texture on the keycaps. Arguably the best stock caps that can be received on a board
tapatalk screwed up ;-( sorry!
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 August 2014, 11:23:19 by frosty »

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 11:15:21 »
The stock keycaps that come with the HHKB are not slick to me at least.  Actually I'd say there is a fair amount of texture on the keycaps. Arguably the best stock caps that can be received on a board
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 August 2014, 11:23:06 by frosty »

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 11:16:13 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 August 2014, 11:22:51 by frosty »

Offline saturnotaku

Re: Why do I not feel like the HHKB is superior?
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 11:52:29 »

I also do not really like the layout. Well, I like it because it looks fantastic, because it is small and centered. But the layout is just not for me, even though I understand others really like it.

Kind of amazing that you just got into keyboards and went with the HHKB as your very first one.

I'm in the same boat. The concept and execution of the HHKB are intriguing, but a 60% layout simply does not jibe with my professional and gaming workflows. It's for this reason that I would recommend starting with a Poker II or similar keyboard if you're interested in making the switch to a smaller layout. Try it for a few weeks, then step up to the HHKB if you find the condensed form factor working for you.

The HHKB is not a good first mechanical keyboard choice unless you are unequivocally certain it's what you need/want.

Offline Sagii

• Time to bust some nails
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 12:05:09 »

I also do not really like the layout. Well, I like it because it looks fantastic, because it is small and centered. But the layout is just not for me, even though I understand others really like it.

Kind of amazing that you just got into keyboards and went with the HHKB as your very first one.

I'm in the same boat. The concept and execution of the HHKB are intriguing, but a 60% layout simply does not jibe with my professional and gaming workflows. It's for this reason that I would recommend starting with a Poker II or similar keyboard if you're interested in making the switch to a smaller layout. Try it for a few weeks, then step up to the HHKB if you find the condensed form factor working for you.

The HHKB is not a good first mechanical keyboard choice unless you are unequivocally certain it's what you need/want.

Well, you jsut said it's not a good first mech.. I will however say it was (FOR ME!). After having tried the HHKB I've realised I love the 60% form factor, but that it MAY be too little every now and then. But what I've really taken from the HHKB is wether or not I like topre. I mean, I've now tried one of the switches that it seems like every keyboard enthusiast will try sooner or later, I just did it sooner, so that now I know. No need to wait. Starting with a HHKB is like starting with any other keyboard. No matter how you do it, you have to try everything yourself before you come with a definitive verdict. There's no difference starting with a poker vs. the HHKB, IF, and I repeat; IF, you know that you want to try out everything anyways.

I realise now that this comment ended up just being a rant that didn't make much sense.. Maybe I'll rewrite it later today, so that I actually get my point through properly :)) Point is: I do not feel like the HHKB was a bad starting point for me, especially since I knew I would have to try topre sooner or later!

Offline pbtforever

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 12:10:52 »
The PBT keys are great! 

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 12:50:05 »

I'm definitely considering doing that ^^ you still praise the ghost blacks and panda clears?

If you don't want to get custom springs, I think panda clears are the best stock-spring mod you can do with clear stems.

And worn-in-then-lubed Ghost Blacks are still my favorite linear.  I can see them being kind of heavy for gaming if you want to bottom out every keystroke.  I learned to hover/float so they are a great weight for me.  They're just so buttery smooth and the spring works perfectly for linear.

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline Sagii

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 13:04:33 »

I'm definitely considering doing that ^^ you still praise the ghost blacks and panda clears?

If you don't want to get custom springs, I think panda clears are the best stock-spring mod you can do with clear stems.

And worn-in-then-lubed Ghost Blacks are still my favorite linear.  I can see them being kind of heavy for gaming if you want to bottom out every keystroke.  I learned to hover/float so they are a great weight for me.  They're just so buttery smooth and the spring works perfectly for linear.

Well, I'm considering the 62g ergo clears everyone is talking about ^^' but getting stock clears aint the easiest when I preferably want a 60%. Closest I can get RIGHT NOW is the FC660M, but not sure I want that (I'd really like a Pn layer like the poker 2). Maybe I'll wait for a new massdrop sale.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 18:37:14 »
I don't find the keycaps on my HHKB Pro 2 slippery. They are as dry as bleached bones in the desert. However, they are smoother than some dye-sub PBT caps I've used. For example, the stock PBT caps on the original white KeyCool84 feel like pumice stones. Textured or not, I prefer the dry feel of PBT to the clammy feel of ABS.

If you like 60% and don't like the HHKB, you could try the Poker II. I put some thick dye-sub PBT caps from geek_feng on mine. They have more texture than the HHKB caps, but not as much as the ones on the KC84. You can get these caps now from IMSTO.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 01:27:13 »
I don't find the keycaps on my HHKB Pro 2 slippery. They are as dry as bleached bones in the desert. However, they are smoother than some dye-sub PBT caps I've used. For example, the stock PBT caps on the original white KeyCool84 feel like pumice stones. Textured or not, I prefer the dry feel of PBT to the clammy feel of ABS.

If you like 60% and don't like the HHKB, you could try the Poker II. I put some thick dye-sub PBT caps from geek_feng on mine. They have more texture than the HHKB caps, but not as much as the ones on the KC84. You can get these caps now from IMSTO.

Actually, you explained that perfectly! It's not that the PBT doesn't have the texture 'n all that, it's just that my finger just slide off easily. The "clammy" feel of the ABS keeps ,y fingers on there. A clammy feel is a lot better of an adjective to explain what I feel ^^' the PBT is as dry as you said yes, but my finger slide around like crazy :))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 03:49:09 »

Six posts in a row!

I think that's a new record :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sagii

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 14:53:03 »
Okey, I thought I'd just post a comment here, instead of starting a new thread ^^' I was just wondering if you got any places to buy DSA profile keycaps? I've found only pimpmykeyboard so far, which only sell blanks, while I'd like printed. There's ofc the granite set and other GBs though, but other than that?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 17:21:49 »
As far as I am concerned, the HHKB is the best sounding keyboard I've ever used.

However, I can't stand the layout. The backslash and delete swap is a complete deal breaker.

Such a shame. If I could get a RealForce that felt and sounded like the HHKB, I'd be in heaven.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 17:25:26 »
Okey, I thought I'd just post a comment here, instead of starting a new thread ^^' I was just wondering if you got any places to buy DSA profile keycaps? I've found only pimpmykeyboard so far, which only sell blanks, while I'd like printed. There's ofc the granite set and other GBs though, but other than that?

AFAIK you cannot get DSA profile keycaps for HHKB, or for any Topre board with the likely exception of the Novatouch.  You could replace (most?) of the Topre sliders in an HHKB with Matt's MX-compatible stems.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 20:09:51 »
You can email Signature Plastics directly. For a one-off custom-legend dyesub set, it costs something like $200.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 00:02:57 »

AFAIK you cannot get DSA profile keycaps for HHKB, or for any Topre board with the likely exception of the Novatouch.  You could replace (most?) of the Topre sliders in an HHKB with Matt's MX-compatible stems.
Oops, shoulda specified :)) I'm thinking of MX, mate

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 00:09:46 »
I absolutely love the hhkb, as my title states, but its my least favorite topre switch. Maybe because its case mounted and not plate but RF has the best feeling switches. If i could get the RF55g feel in my hhkb id be in keyboard heaven. But, i love my board so much i put up with it. Not that they are bad, but it could be smoother.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 04:17:30 »
I absolutely love the hhkb, as my title states, but its my least favorite topre switch. Maybe because its case mounted and not plate but RF has the best feeling switches. If i could get the RF55g feel in my hhkb id be in keyboard heaven. But, i love my board so much i put up with it. Not that they are bad, but it could be smoother.
I love the layout, but the typing experience bothers me :/

Offline Kmynis

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 07:21:15 »
Viper or GON, dude. I regret not jumping in the viper gb  :'( , hopefully I'll find one in the classifields.
HHKB Type-S
Filco TKL MX Red

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 09:27:35 »

AFAIK, DSA is a Signature Plastics only profile. They only produce large orders (such as Group Buys or large orders from companies) in that profile, except for the blank sets they sell. So if you want legends, the Group Buy sets are your only option. There've been some great ones made, though, so you have some range of choice if you can find them in the Classifieds section or active or upcoming Group Buys.

This GB is ending soon, DSA profile and quite nice colorway:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61402.0
http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/royal-apollo-gt-10-base-set/

Order now if you want it!
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 09:43:16 »

AFAIK, DSA is a Signature Plastics only profile. They only produce large orders (such as Group Buys or large orders from companies) in that profile, except for the blank sets they sell. So if you want legends, the Group Buy sets are your only option. There've been some great ones made, though, so you have some range of choice if you can find them in the Classifieds section or active or upcoming Group Buys.

This GB is ending soon, DSA profile and quite nice colorway:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61402.0
http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/royal-apollo-gt-10-base-set/

Order now if you want it!

Ahhhh, tnaks, that make things clearer! No wonder I couldn't find any other DSA caps than from Signature Plastics, lol
Well, the Apollo isn't really to my liking, unfortunately. I really like the granite set though, so I might end up waiting for round 2 :D Are there any other keycap profiles that are low profile (I know DSA is in reality medium, but whatever), you would recommend?

Viper or GON, dude. I regret not jumping in the viper gb  :'( , hopefully I'll find one in the classifields.

Too much money for me to put into a single board :c

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 19:04:36 »

GTFO
 :p
 :))
 ^-^

>:D

:-*
 :D
 ;D
 ;)

Offline HolidaySHRIMP

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 23:41:37 »
As someone who sold a HHKB I wish I hadn't over a year later. I miss my SSK too. Glad I sold my rf87u though. KMAC still love.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 23:55:47 »

GTFO
 ^-^

;D
 ;)

Classic response there ^^^^

You've got to be careful when frequenting Geekhack because seeing all this keyboard eye-candy will do nasty things to you.  Definitely not a place for weaklings or fainters  8) .

Offline Sagii

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 00:01:14 »

GTFO
 ^-^

;D
 ;)

Classic response there ^^^^

You've got to be careful when frequenting Geekhack because seeing all this keyboard eye-candy will do nasty things to you.  Definitely not a place for weaklings or fainters  8) .
Dude.. my first mech was an HHKB Pro 2, 'cause of all the eyecandy here. Come at me bro!

EDIT: Too much money to spend RIGHT NOW :))

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 00:02:49 »
Not Type-S
GTFO

do you even vim?

Offline Sagii

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 00:06:11 »
Not Type-S
GTFO

do you even vim?
Yes.. yes, I do

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 00:30:56 »
Not Type-S
GTFO

do you even vim?

So you found a keyboard you like. I'm happy for you. Now please stop trolling (just because you like that board doesn't mean others have to). Thank you.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 16:11:57 »
Not Type-S
GTFO

do you even vim?

So you found a keyboard you like. I'm happy for you. Now please stop trolling (just because you like that board doesn't mean others have to). Thank you.

Id have to second that... it gets tiresome in the long run, mate

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 16:39:46 »
You might want to try a switch-type and board that are completely different from a Topre and HHKB Pro 2.

In my own case, I avoided trying the HHKB Pro 2 for a long time while trying almost every other type of switch, form factor, and layout.

After sampling boards with various switches, including Cherry mx of all kinds, Matias tactile and silent, Alps of various sorts, black and white Hi-Tek space invaders, capacitive and membrane buckling springs, and Topre of different weights, I finally settled on a short list of boards that I really like:

-- IBM XT (capacitive buckling springs)
-- IBM Model M SSK (membrane buckling springs)
-- RF 87u (55g Topre)
-- HHKB Pro 2 (45 g Topre)

The Topre boards are very different from the buckling spring boards, but I like both varieties for different reasons. I use one of these for a few days or a few weeks and then rotate to one of the others for a while.

It is still possible to find an XT for a reasonable price on eBay, but you will then need to get a Hagstsrom converter or install a Teensy (or equivalent) and Soarer's Converter to use it with a modern computer. I refurbished one, including sanding and repainting the interior plates, installing a Teensy and Soarer's Converter, and installing a case-mounted USB connector for a detachable cable. It was well worth the effort.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 02:53:09 »
You might want to try a switch-type and board that are completely different from a Topre and HHKB Pro 2.

In my own case, I avoided trying the HHKB Pro 2 for a long time while trying almost every other type of switch, form factor, and layout.

After sampling boards with various switches, including Cherry mx of all kinds, Matias tactile and silent, Alps of various sorts, black and white Hi-Tek space invaders, capacitive and membrane buckling springs, and Topre of different weights, I finally settled on a short list of boards that I really like:

-- IBM XT (capacitive buckling springs)
-- IBM Model M SSK (membrane buckling springs)
-- RF 87u (55g Topre)
-- HHKB Pro 2 (45 g Topre)

The Topre boards are very different from the buckling spring boards, but I like both varieties for different reasons. I use one of these for a few days or a few weeks and then rotate to one of the others for a while.

It is still possible to find an XT for a reasonable price on eBay, but you will then need to get a Hagstsrom converter or install a Teensy (or equivalent) and Soarer's Converter to use it with a modern computer. I refurbished one, including sanding and repainting the interior plates, installing a Teensy and Soarer's Converter, and installing a case-mounted USB connector for a detachable cable. It was well worth the effort.
Yeah, I'm planning to buy a Poker maybe.. I wanted the newest Ducky Mini, 'till I realised they've removed the Pn layer >.> now I'm just waiting for a poker 2 with clears to show up in the classifieds :D

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 03:22:43 »
Not Type-S
GTFO

do you even vim?

Yep I knew you youngsters didn't have the stamina to FIGHT for your Keyboard's Place - in the Cosmos  8) .

Offline Sagii

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 13:19:48 »
Does anyone know how many requests that are needed for a drop on Massdrop to come back? ^^' I'd reaaaaaaally like a poker 2 with mx clears !

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 13:44:42 »
Not Type-S
GTFO

do you even vim?

Yep I knew you youngsters didn't have the stamina to FIGHT for your Keyboard's Place - in the Cosmos  8) .
Well I get where Oobly is coming from and I can respect that. OP on the other hand you don't get to say "it's annoying in the long run" when your entire post is just you joking about being a poor indecisive whimsical student on a budget and flip flopping.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 September 2014, 13:49:05 by the1onewolf »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 14:04:37 »
Does anyone know how many requests that are needed for a drop on Massdrop to come back? ^^' I'd reaaaaaaally like a poker 2 with mx clears !

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/kbc-poker-2-clear?mode=guest_open

I think they're running one right now, actually. Not as cheap as the previous round I think, but still worth it for a Poker II with Clears. Customs may raise the final price, though.

If that doesn't work out I could mod one to Clears for you when I find some extra project time.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 14:12:36 »
Well I get where Oobly is coming from and I can respect that.

Would it be wishful thinking to believe that you'll start respecting other threads in a similar manner?

« Last Edit: Thu, 04 September 2014, 14:37:25 by saturnotaku »

Offline Sagii

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 15:07:44 »
Not Type-S
GTFO

do you even vim?

Well I get where Oobly is coming from and I can respect that. OP on the other hand you don't get to say "it's annoying in the long run" when your entire post is just you joking about being a poor indecisive whimsical student on a budget and flip flopping.
Sorry, but I see absolutely no disrespectful nor non-appropriate behaviour regarding my statement or what I've said in any of my comments/threads. Me being a not very rich student is first of all a fact, and second of all something I like to joke about, especially since I'd like to try every single board that's out there. I'm sorry if that's such an annoyance to you. This is also not the first time you've come bursting into a thread with a very non constructive and non related comment, where you've contributed nothing to a thread, and therefore, yes, I said it gets annoying in the long run.

That's all I got to say.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/kbc-poker-2-clear?mode=guest_open

I think they're running one right now, actually. Not as cheap as the previous round I think, but still worth it for a Poker II with Clears. Customs may raise the final price, though.

If that doesn't work out I could mod one to Clears for you when I find some extra project time.

O wat! Thanks for the link, and thanks for the very kind offer :) but as of right now getting something with stock clears without having to buy them separate is kinda what I want. Unfortubately that "something" is nothing else but a Poker 2 at this point in time :)) knowing me, that'll probably change in a heartbeat, though :))

EDIT: It'll end up at about 190-200$ for shipping and customs.. it's EXTREMELY tempting. There's only 400 units available as well. Maaaan, this is killing me. And not just that, it went online just a couple hours ago, it's like it's fate. But I haven't even sold my HHKB yet O_o
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 September 2014, 15:21:07 by Sagii »

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 17:11:02 »
yeah totally dude mx blues rock
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Sempre

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 17:34:56 »
O wat! Thanks for the link, and thanks for the very kind offer :) but as of right now getting something with stock clears without having to buy them separate is kinda what I want. Unfortubately that "something" is nothing else but a Poker 2 at this point in time :)) knowing me, that'll probably change in a heartbeat, though :))

EDIT: It'll end up at about 190-200$ for shipping and customs.. it's EXTREMELY tempting. There's only 400 units available as well. Maaaan, this is killing me. And not just that, it went online just a couple hours ago, it's like it's fate. But I haven't even sold my HHKB yet O_o

I committed as soon as i got the email from MD. I've been waiting for this. It cost me $130, but im using a forwarding service so that will set me another $40.

I really hope I like clears. Because if I don't I may jump to the Topre side. Probably Novatouch.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #89 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 17:51:53 »

I committed as soon as i got the email from MD. I've been waiting for this. It cost me $130, but im using a forwarding service so that will set me another $40.

I really hope I like clears. Because if I don't I may jump to the Topre side. Probably Novatouch.

I'm typing on a Novatouch right now. This is my third day with the new CM keyboard. At first I didn't like it much. It still doesn't sound or feel like a Topre board to me, but its appeal is increasing. It is nice to be able to put Cherry keycaps on it, and I like it better than any Cherry mx board I have tried.

Only one annoyance remains for me with the Novatouch, which is that the Fn key is hardwired and doesn't respond to remapping software. However, I have managed to remap the Right Control as Fn to put the Fn key where I want it. The downside is that the original Fn key is now a dead key. It would also be nice if the Novatouch had DIP switches, an embedded Num Pad, and LEDs for CapsLock and NumLock (all of which exist on my RF 87u), but I can live without these features.

Therefore, yes, if it turns out you don't like Cherry mx clears, you might take a look at the Novatouch, but if you have the opportunity to do so, it would be good to try out a Realforce or HHKB to get a sense of what Topre switches are like in some other keyboards.

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 17:52:37 »
once this baby hits the hunger games, alonz-y
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Sempre

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 18:47:12 »
More
I'm typing on a Novatouch right now. This is my third day with the new CM keyboard. At first I didn't like it much. It still doesn't sound or feel like a Topre board to me, but its appeal is increasing. It is nice to be able to put Cherry keycaps on it, and I like it better than any Cherry mx board I have tried.

Only one annoyance remains for me with the Novatouch, which is that the Fn key is hardwired and doesn't respond to remapping software. However, I have managed to remap the Right Control as Fn to put the Fn key where I want it. The downside is that the original Fn key is now a dead key. It would also be nice if the Novatouch had DIP switches, an embedded Num Pad, and LEDs for CapsLock and NumLock (all of which exist on my RF 87u), but I can live without these features.

Therefore, yes, if it turns out you don't like Cherry mx clears, you might take a look at the Novatouch, but if you have the opportunity to do so, it would be good to try out a Realforce or HHKB to get a sense of what Topre switches are like in some other keyboards.

Thanks for taking the time to write this.

Unfortunately there's no place close to me that has Topre boards. So my only chance of trying one (like an RF 87u) is paying $215 plus shipping.

The lack of key mapping and dip switches is indeed a downside to the Novatouch. But it's not a big deal for me since it's a TKL and i could use AHK to switch caps-lock and left control. I do however care more about the feeling of the switch.

I've read that the Poker w/clears won't ship until October. Lets see if CM releases the Novatouch before that :D I doubt it

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 05:10:05 »

Sorry, but I see absolutely no disrespectful nor non-appropriate behaviour regarding my statement or what I've said in any of my comments/threads. Me being a not very rich student is first of all a fact, and second of all something I like to joke about, especially since I'd like to try every single board that's out there. I'm sorry if that's such an annoyance to you. This is also not the first time you've come bursting into a thread with a very non constructive and non related comment, where you've contributed nothing to a thread, and therefore, yes, I said it gets annoying in the long run.

That's all I got to say.

Yada yada sob sob sob I'm a poor student. It's a fact, not an opinion! Well ****.
Yada Yada Yada I have a budget. Well **** again.
Oh my gosh mommie look at this candy? Do you think I should buy it?
What's that? You heard it's good? Okay I'll buy it!
Nope I changed my mind, I don't want this candy after all.
Yada yada Oh my gosh! I want to learn much and I want try every single board! Well Holy ****!
Great do you have any other hopes and aspirations you want to share?
Oh go on ahead and ignore all the other threads and make a new thread about it.

This isn't the first time I've come bursting into a thread with nonconstructive things?
This isn't the first time you've made a stupid, thoughtless thread either.
So you think it's fine to make a whimsical thread like this one but I can't recommend you something to you on a whim?
You have some amazing double standards.
If you want a constructive response then make a thread which deserves one.
Stop making threads based on your whims or at least do it in another section.

Well I get where Oobly is coming from and I can respect that.

Would it be wishful thinking to believe that you'll start respecting other threads in a similar manner?

Well it certainly doesn't help if you keep that condescending attitude up.
Would it be wishful thinking to believe that you'll stop being a passive aggressive **** OR are you one of those people in those suburban neighborhood association that likes to stir up things and go through other people's ****?

Sorry back to your question, that depends.

Are we going to be graced with a trilogy from yours truly "Why do I miss the HHKB?"
OR maybe we can expect one of these lovely feature threads:
12 episode monthly series "I'm as fickle as the month. oh my gosh the leaves changed color now so must i!"
Learning channel series "Why do some people own more than one keyboard? What really goes on behind closed door... We investigate tonight!"
Court room drama "I'm behind in alimony. Why do I feel so guilty about owning so many keyboards, your honor?"
Reality television "Why do I own 5 poker II's? Well **** you tell me -well **** you bought them! Well **** I dunno... (confessional scene) why are you being so mean wahhhhh"
Esports documentary "Find out what switch it takes to become the world's greatest player"

But you know what.
Nevermind that you were even joking around with me before this ... just a few posts above
Nevermind that you started this silly thread.
Nope **** that, it's all your fault!
**** you guys.
I get that my **** can be annoying and I tried to make amends and threw you a bone (it's wasn't a big one I give you that but it was enough to deescalate things and get you back on track), instead you guys just keep on piling this on.
Don't think your own **** doesn't stink.

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #93 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 05:13:30 »
slay
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline Sagii

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 05:17:28 »
Seems like people are reaaaally wanting that poker :)) almost 200 sold in a few hours O.o
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 September 2014, 06:06:12 by Sagii »

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 08:45:23 »
Would it be wishful thinking to believe that you'll stop being a passive aggressive ****

Hmm..

But you know what.
Nevermind that you were even joking around with me before this ... just a few posts above
Nevermind that you started this silly thread.
Nope **** that, it's all your fault!
**** you guys.
I get that my **** can be annoying and I tried to make amends and threw you a bone (it's wasn't a big one I give you that but it was enough to deescalate things and get you back on track), instead you guys just keep on piling this on.
Don't think your own **** doesn't stink.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #96 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 09:06:33 »
Aw heeeeel yeah baby! I just bought myself a Poker 2 with MX clears and white backlighting. Well, put in a order at least. Damn, I'm excited. Ended up at 190$ (with what I have to pay to customs etc.), so it got kinda expensive, but oh well.

Only downside is it won't ship 'till earliest 30th of October, which means it won't be here 'till mid November. That kinda sucks :))

EDIT: Is it worth it for 190$? I'm asking you experienced folks, taking into account how much a used modded poker 2 would go for in the classifieds etc.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 September 2014, 09:08:41 by Sagii »

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 09:18:36 »
EDIT: Is it worth it for 190$? I'm asking you experienced folks, taking into account how much a used modded poker 2 would go for in the classifieds etc.

If you're OK with a 60% board, I would say yes. In my case, had I been able to adjust to the compacted layout, I would have absolutely kept my Poker II and modded the heck out of it (custom case, etc). The next big thing will be the switches. Given the lighter feel of the HHKB, MX clears will require some time to get used to.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 09:23:08 »

If you're OK with a 60% board, I would say yes. In my case, had I been able to adjust to the compacted layout, I would have absolutely kept my Poker II and modded the heck out of it (custom case, etc). The next big thing will be the switches. Given the lighter feel of the HHKB, MX clears will require some time to get used to.

Yeah, I'm pretty prepared (hear me saying that now.. It'll be fun to see what I say in three months time) for heavier switches. I'm also quite prepared to mod them to ergo clears though. I'm pretty sure just stock clears won't be my favourite switch. But taken into account that springs cost next to nothing, and I already have soldering equipment, so I'm not really too worried.

And btw, I do realise wether it's worth it or not is a personal opinion, but I was mainly thinking if there is any other (read: cheaper) way of obtaining a poker 2 with clears. And I love the 60% btw, there were only a few minor things that bugged me about the HHKB, which, with a poker 2, I'll be able to easily fix with a Pn layer ^^

EDIT: I've read a little bit about LEDs and installing them into a poker 2. is there really no wizardry going on? All I need to buy is normal LEDs, and solder them straight onto the PCB? O.o 'cause if so.. then there's no reason for me to buy a Poker 2 with already white LEDs :))
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 September 2014, 09:30:55 by Sagii »