Author Topic: [IC] The Manly Unicorn  (Read 107533 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: [IC] The Manly Unicorn, a GMK set
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 11:18:50 »
I have a beard and I need this.

The only thing I think is missing is the purple spacebar. If I wanted to say, swap the mods out for the GMK purple mods that Ivan did for the most purple GMK capped 60% ever, the only thing missing would by that elusive purple spacebar!
That's actually a pretty good idea. Nut that I'd need one but it never hurts right ;)

It is a good idea. 

No better mock-ups yet, unfortunately.  I haven't heard back from those who said they'd help or had a master I could color.  I will try to get a revision soon though.

Offline Data

« Reply #151 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 13:38:41 »
I have a beard and I need this.

The only thing I think is missing is the purple spacebar. If I wanted to say, swap the mods out for the GMK purple mods that Ivan did for the most purple GMK capped 60% ever, the only thing missing would by that elusive purple spacebar!
That's actually a pretty good idea. Nut that I'd need one but it never hurts right ;)

It is a good idea. 

No better mock-ups yet, unfortunately.  I haven't heard back from those who said they'd help or had a master I could color.  I will try to get a revision soon though.

Are you waiting for something like this for Retro Cassette as well?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 14:00:58 »

Yes, but I want to try and get this one done first since tgere are rumors of a Retro DSA R2 and I'd rather tge two not co-occur or be close to each other.

Offline Data

« Reply #153 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 09:03:03 »

Yes, but I want to try and get this one done first since tgere are rumors of a Retro DSA R2 and I'd rather tge two not co-occur or be close to each other.

Makes sense.

I have an idea for an easy recolor template.  Do you have Photoshop?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #154 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 09:21:50 »
I don't, but I can use Pixlr or Sketchbook.

Offline Data

« Reply #155 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 12:20:29 »
I'm not familiar with those programs.  Can they open and save to layered PSD files?

Edit: Looks like that's a no.  Sorry, I don't think my idea would work.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 October 2014, 12:25:31 by Data »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 12:51:12 »
I'm not familiar with those programs.  Can they open and save to layered PSD files?

Could use GIMP for that, right?  He'd have to install it of course, but at least it's a free option.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #157 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 12:55:02 »
Sketchbook may be able to open PSDs.  If it's a layered file, you can save the layers as transparent PNGs and I can rebuild with that.  I may have access to Photoshop or Illustrator, but I'll have to check.

Offline Data

« Reply #158 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 13:10:50 »

Could use GIMP for that, right?  He'd have to install it of course, but at least it's a free option.

Yeah, maybe.  I'll work on it a bit tonight.

Offline Data

« Reply #159 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 21:05:51 »
Sketchbook may be able to open PSDs.  If it's a layered file, you can save the layers as transparent PNGs and I can rebuild with that.  I may have access to Photoshop or Illustrator, but I'll have to check.

OK, before I go any further, see if you can open this PSD file:
http://www.infinitefacet.com/files/1uKeycapTemplate.psd

That's my host, but feel free to run the file through VirusTotal if you're unsure.  https://www.virustotal.com/en/

If you can open it, try to change the color of the vector object on the layer called "Key".  Change it at the layer level if you can.  Try not to use a paint bucket.  If it works the layer above it should apply the proper shading for a depth effect (it's a black overlay at 30% fill opacity).

Assuming all of that works I'll work on an ANSI 125 layout for you (and presumably others) to use.  Should make coloring pretty easy.

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
« Reply #160 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 21:28:36 »

GIMP can open and edit layerd PSD files.  Opensource to the rescue.
eh o well

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #161 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 21:57:11 »

OK, before I go any further, see if you can open this PSD file:
http://www.infinitefacet.com/files/1uKeycapTemplate.psd

That's my host, but feel free to run the file through VirusTotal if you're unsure.  https://www.virustotal.com/en/

If you can open it, try to change the color of the vector object on the layer called "Key".  Change it at the layer level if you can.  Try not to use a paint bucket.  If it works the layer above it should apply the proper shading for a depth effect (it's a black overlay at 30% fill opacity).

Assuming all of that works I'll work on an ANSI 125 layout for you (and presumably others) to use.  Should make coloring pretty easy.

It works perfectly with Pixlr. 

I just color matched, then adjusted the gradient mask percentage on the layer for the sides and it worked just fine.

Sketchbook can open it, but without a Pro membership, it doesn't work as well since it won't let me open it with layers.

Offline yuktsi

• * Maker
  • Colour my life with the chaos of trouble
« Reply #162 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 10:47:57 »
any update on this keyset? I need one!  :thumb:
email: yuktsi@ttggrr.cc

My collection

More
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 | Whale Poly | 356cl | HBCP | Dolinger | Linger | FMJ80 | KFE

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #163 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 10:53:29 »
It's stalled at about 50 sets and I'm still looking to get a template or help to make some nice mock-ups.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #164 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 10:58:42 »
It's stalled at about 50 sets and I'm still looking to get a template or help to make some nice mock-ups.

me and cody are working on getting that polished up and over to you sir
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #165 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 11:06:54 »

me and cody are working on getting that polished up and over to you sir
Yes! 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #166 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 11:10:39 »
Thanks man.  I look forward to seeing the mock up you guys make. 

I know my OP pic doesn't have the Ctrl for capslock cap, a purple spacebar, magenta \|, a purple WASD cluster, (and the magenta WASD in the pic was supposed to be an arrow cluster) or proper ISO. If there are any other things I'm forgetting feel free to add them and if there are any things you think could be done to improve it, let me know what you're thinking.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #167 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 23:13:09 »
I would buy this.

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #168 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 06:16:54 »
this set is serious, I would like.
I got boards.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #169 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 09:32:05 »
To buy, I will !
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline findingthelimit

• Rawr
« Reply #170 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 19:41:08 »
in my opinion (and i feel like there are a lot of people like me out there), i would not buy the entire set but i would certainly buy a moogle / tsangan kit to spice up my "serious" gmk sets (classic beige, dolch, etc). It might be worth considering throwing that out there as an option, if only to see if it meets MOQ.
Poker 2 reds, GH60 42g ergo clears

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #171 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 07:21:50 »
in my opinion (and i feel like there are a lot of people like me out there), i would not buy the entire set but i would certainly buy a moogle / tsangan kit to spice up my "serious" gmk sets (classic beige, dolch, etc). It might be worth considering throwing that out there as an option, if only to see if it meets MOQ.

Very good point. I think this set can only be achieved over multiple group buys of smaller color kits that work with "serious" sets.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #172 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 08:27:45 »
I would love if you ever consider lightsaver (or G80) layout option
This set is just made for my unicorn LED Lightsaver
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline Belfong

« Reply #173 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 09:08:31 »
Just stumbled upon this set. It looked radical and very Miami like. I'm not sure if my wife can take such a manly look. Definitely worth considering. Let me think harder :)

Offline cseng

« Reply #174 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 17:30:12 »
eyeing the pink spacebar...

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #175 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 00:15:38 »
You can count me in for one depending on when this happens.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #176 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 00:19:00 »
What about something like Handarbeit, but with pinks and purples instead of reds and greens?

I made a Rowdybeit at one stage that was extremely close to Handarbeit, and it was surprisingly usable and nowhere near as distracting as I thought it might be.

81973-0
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #177 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 00:21:39 »
What about something like Handarbeit, but with pinks and purples instead of reds and greens?

I made a Rowdybeit at one stage that was extremely close to Handarbeit, and it was surprisingly usable and nowhere near as distracting as I thought it might be.

(Attachment Link)
That looks like about 8 different TaiHao sets?

Since interest is slowing, is it time to consider a non-GMK provider for lower MOQ? Of course, it doesn't matter since I'm broke right now and will be for the foreseeable future.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Pliny

• has 1800 fever
« Reply #178 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 00:48:39 »

(Attachment Link)

Like this? (they're SP colors not GMK; didn't know wat to do with the greens: there is already a lot of purple!)

"He will never, ever give you up. And, most importantly, he will never, ever let you down.”
- Melania T.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #179 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 00:58:34 »
I suppose giving the numbers it's time to start looking at SP.  I was also hoping to have better mockups, but that hasn't happened yet.  If someone could get me a good template, I could go from there on my own.

And I'll probably tone it down a little with a "color" pack or see about splitting it so that you either buy the boring or the colorful pack or both to fill it out.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #180 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 03:09:36 »

(Attachment Link)

Like this? (they're SP colors not GMK; didn't know wat to do with the greens: there is already a lot of purple!)

Show Image

Something like that, yeah.  I like the yellow fj and space - looks like the keyboard is smiling at me :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #181 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 13:04:37 »
Since GMK is out the question, the only way I'll be interested in this with SP is if the set is SA, never tried SA set and looks thickest of the rest SP profiles.
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #182 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 13:07:16 »
Since GMK is out the question, the only way I'll be interested in this with SP is if the set is SA, never tried SA set and looks thickest of the rest SP profiles.

I megaloathe SA.  It would only be DSA or DCS.  I'm not a fan of the thin either, but I refuse to do SA.  I know, not a popular opinion, sorry.

Offline Fetus Breath

« Reply #183 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 13:20:28 »
I'm definitely interested in this set. I really like the unique look and colors.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #184 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 13:26:51 »
Not going to be GMK or SP SA? :(

Definitely not interested anymore.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #185 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 13:32:17 »

Ditto.  It's a shame, but I can't buy more DCS or DSA.  It would just sit in a box.  :(

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #186 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 13:51:57 »

I want GMK.  I'm waiting to see what the Unikey thing is before any final decisions are made, but right now the numbers just aren't there for GMK.  I'd need everyone to double or triple their order to hit MOQ.

As for SP DCS or DSA, I've been up front from the beginning that I wouldn't do SP SA and that if it didn't hit GMK MOQ, it would likely be SP DCS.  Call me selfish or whatever, but I won't run a GB for a color scheme I want in a profile I despise, even if it is the current "hip" thing.  That said, if we can hit DCS MOQ, I'd be more than willing to also run it in SA as well, I just won't cannibalize sales in a profile I want.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #187 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 13:56:03 »
As for SP DCS or DSA, I've been up front from the beginning that I wouldn't do SP SA and that if it didn't hit GMK MOQ, it would likely be SP DCS.  Call me selfish or whatever, but I won't run a GB for a color scheme I want in a profile I despise, even if it is the current "hip" thing.  That said, if we can hit DCS MOQ, I'd be more than willing to also run it in SA as well, I just won't cannibalize sales in a profile I want.

Speaking for myself, I don't fault you for this decision.  My comment was simply to give my opinion and explain why/that I wouldn't be interested in DCS/DSA.  (I know you quoted CBA, but I'm explaining my own comment anyway)

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #188 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 14:03:21 »

Agreed, if the caps aren't thick I don't really think it's worth it.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline frostylove

« Reply #189 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 10:45:19 »
Interested
Suhr Custom Standard Carve Top
Manson DL-1 Matt Bellamy Signature
Marshall JVM410H + 1960A
Lovepedal Kanji Enternity

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #190 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 23:13:14 »
Just looking at this mockup gets the testosterone in my body moving.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #191 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 23:21:00 »
This set died a while ago, look at the date.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #192 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 23:21:59 »

Not dead, just on infinite hiatus ;)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #193 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 23:24:24 »
If you want to crack the GMK factory to make this then it will solely depend upon the people signing up for this which would be around 250.

Like I said numerous times before COPY the original "Handerbeit  Colour-way" and I'll buy up 4 complete sets straight away, no questions asked.

Always stick to the original concept (don't bastardize it) because you'll get far GREATER pick up on the set, just like Dolch and Hyperfuse did (fact)  :thumb: .

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #194 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 23:29:36 »
I think I just threw up.
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #195 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 23:42:24 »

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #196 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 23:54:08 »
oh my goodness lol, how much would this set actually cost?? considering more colours in the set = increase in price from GMK right?
OTD 456GT with Lubricated 68g Gold Spring MX Clears and GMK Dolch Keycap set

WTB: KMAC2 kit

Offline Asininity

« Reply #197 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 00:19:34 »

Not dead, just on infinite hiatus ;)

That's unfortunate. I love it. It's like the Crayola factory vomited all over a keyboard.

It's hideous. It's to bright. There's too many colors. I want it.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #198 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 00:20:14 »
oh my goodness lol, how much would this set actually cost?? considering more colours in the set = increase in price from GMK right?

I don't think that's how they work, I'd assume this set would cost the same as other GMK sets. But there isn't enough support to hit the 250 MOQ which is why this IC failed.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #199 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 00:32:08 »
I may try and rework it some and make it less unicorn vomity to make it more appealing to a larger group.  If I do that, I might see about making it a TKL or 60% set to make it cheaper and something more people would be willing to buy.  A slimmed down GMK set may have a chance.  If it's SP only, I'll probably kill it and just do the Retro Cassette DSA first.

What's funny is people go crazy for Handerbeit which, to me, is even more god awful since it's actually trying to take itself seriously.