Author Topic: [IC] The Manly Unicorn  (Read 106889 times)

Offline Glenmael

Re: [IC] The Manly Unicorn, a GMK set
« Reply #300 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 03:11:16 »
In iN IN!  :thumb:

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #301 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 06:14:01 »
Yeah, I like this, I'm assuming you're not using the interest check form anymore from the front page?
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #302 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 06:31:51 »

Submitted a response. Novelty Keys Please!

That's what I was thinking. The set really needs some novelties.

GMK doesn't do custom legends.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #303 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 06:59:40 »

Submitted a response. Novelty Keys Please!

That's what I was thinking. The set really needs some novelties.

GMK doesn't do custom legends.

It's the colours which will be difficult to get because GMK will need to source them off site from other manufacturers and who knows how long that will take.

Plus if they are simply not able to find your specified colours, then what will you guys be willing to accept as a substitution instead?

Offline Delirious

« Reply #304 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:36:59 »
It's the colours which will be difficult to get because GMK will need to source them off site from other manufacturers and who knows how long that will take.

Plus if they are simply not able to find your specified colours, then what will you guys be willing to accept as a substitution instead?

I'm willing to accept substitution because I love GMK/Cherry profile, hell I even want more colors since we only have 5 out of 7 colors for rainbow

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #305 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:39:23 »
It's going to be JTK, not GMK, so you can stop ****ting on it Elrick.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
Re: [IC] The Manly Unicorn, a JTK set
« Reply #306 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:52:52 »
Uhh super no offence but maybe change the title to reflect that? Manly Unicorn a JTK keyset? :X

Anyway I will get this sun it happens looks rather amusing :p
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: [IC] The Manly Unicorn
« Reply #307 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:41:27 »
Sorry, I figured people had seen it on the previous pages, especially since Elrick has responded to posts about how this is going to be JTK. I changed the title to remove the GMK part.  I've just gotten tired of Elrick coming in and ****ting all over the thread and not providing anything useful, so I've been getting a little short.  It's one thing to provide constructive criticism.  It's another to do what he's been doing.

Offline W_hinklebottom

« Reply #308 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 16:52:44 »
I really like this design. I would buy one if it makes it to a group buy stage.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #309 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 18:49:51 »

Don't be a fvcking retard here, I only read what someone posted above me.

I don't have the luxury of time to read pages of junk to know what you are playing around with.  Unlike you I work for a living so spending all day and night on GH and reading anything related to your colour-way isn't tops on my list of what to know.

Mod Edit: User has been warned for this post
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 22:35:04 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #310 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 22:44:03 »
Hey nubb, u down to make a unicorn inspired artisan for this keyset?

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #311 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 19:53:05 »
Just a little bump to get this back in rotation  :thumb:

wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #312 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 19:54:27 »
Just a little bump to get this back in rotation  :thumb:

Plus one ;D

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #313 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:05:05 »
I'm in,  why not!

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #314 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:07:33 »
oh jeeses plz make this happen already. I got excited with this bump.

wasn't bunny going to work on this?

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #315 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:14:12 »
I want to see this set also so I'm it I think

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #316 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:14:56 »

Yeah, he is. Supposedly it's soon, as in there's one or two sets ahead of it (last I heard), but he'd have to give the definitive update.  It's doable with GMK right now, but I'd still rather go JTK since it will have a wider range of compatibility and be cheaper.

I probably should work on getting a little more compatibility worked out and then see about getting a set render and a board render.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #317 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:17:48 »

Yeah, he is. Supposedly it's soon, as in there's one or two sets ahead of it (last I heard), but he'd have to give the definitive update.  It's doable with GMK right now, but I'd still rather go JTK since it will have a wider range of compatibility and be cheaper.

I probably should work on getting a little more compatibility worked out and then see about getting a set render and a board render.
Just go with GMK nubs. This set needs to be made with OG cherry tooling cause this set is so awesome

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #318 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:21:51 »

Just go with GMK nubs. This set needs to be made with OG cherry tooling cause this set is so awesome

+1

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #319 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:32:18 »

Main reasons I'm not sure if I want to go that route is because I don't want to run a GB that sized through my personal Paypal account for a variety of reasons.  If I did run it through GMK, I'd want an intermediary who had Stripe with Paypal as a backup to collect the money and then I'd handle the distribution.  There are just so many potential headaches with Paypal and the IRS since I would be collecting at least $15,000 for the buy (assuming just a base of $100 a set and 150 sets).

Also, if I went that route, I'd want to look into getting a nice lasercut cap box like this only with Ducky style cap slots and see if GMK could sort and ship in those boxes like they did with their awful plastic cases for the TA buy.  Even if I did the sorting myself, it shouldn't be too bad since there are a decent number of people around me and I know some of them would help out with sorting.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:33:53 by nubbinator »

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #320 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:52:34 »
Ok we'll see what best for this keycaps

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #321 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:09:27 »

Main reasons I'm not sure if I want to go that route is because I don't want to run a GB that sized through my personal Paypal account for a variety of reasons.  If I did run it through GMK, I'd want an intermediary who had Stripe with Paypal as a backup to collect the money and then I'd handle the distribution.  There are just so many potential headaches with Paypal and the IRS since I would be collecting at least $15,000 for the buy (assuming just a base of $100 a set and 150 sets).

Also, if I went that route, I'd want to look into getting a nice lasercut cap box like this only with Ducky style cap slots and see if GMK could sort and ship in those boxes like they did with their awful plastic cases for the TA buy.  Even if I did the sorting myself, it shouldn't be too bad since there are a decent number of people around me and I know some of them would help out with sorting.

Yeah the IRS stuff sounds like a major potential headache - I know as soon as you go over $10k in transactions they start to pay a lot of attention - even if you made multiple payments you could get in a HUGE amount of trouble for structuring

GMK have apparently improved their tray design by the way - I think Sherry from originative has some

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #322 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 23:03:13 »
If GMK have improved things on their end, that eliminates some of the problem.  Then just let it run through MassDrop and don't worry about having to deal with the shipping and such.

Though if it comes to it, party at Nub's :D  I'll pass through the Orange Curtain and lend a hand if need be ;)

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #323 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 23:07:23 »
If GMK have improved things on their end, that eliminates some of the problem.  Then just let it run through MassDrop and don't worry about having to deal with the shipping and such.

Though if it comes to it, party at Nub's :D  I'll pass through the Orange Curtain and lend a hand if need be ;)

Well running with Massdrop is a good option in terms of less headache
but again for international buyer like us, we're stuck with paying high custom tax. Massdrop declared the full value of the item bought

I've to agree that if this is happening, GMK production would pay off
not that JTK is bad,is just that the overall product is better
but again the price is also big concern
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #324 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 23:16:58 »

That is an option, though I'm not a huge MD fan.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #325 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 23:34:53 »

but again for international buyer like us, we're stuck with paying high custom tax. Massdrop declared the full value of the item bought

This would be solved by having an international proxy working in conjunction with the buy

Offline shoostep

« Reply #326 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 23:37:18 »
However this set pans out, I am pretty excited.

I know its been said before, but I think that a purple space would be a great addition to complete the alphas.
Also, I think that a cyan enter would be pretty sweet.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #327 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 23:40:09 »
However this set pans out, I am pretty excited.

I know its been said before, but I think that a purple space would be a great addition to complete the alphas.
Also, I think that a cyan enter would be pretty sweet.

Yeah, that's some of the clean up for the mockup I need to do.  I plan on making it have some caps to make it a little more "accessible".

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #328 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 22:19:22 »
I'm sticking to the SA profile for now but I'm still interested to see how this set turns out. 
As for novelty key ideas, how about a unipede space bar?

126197-0

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #329 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 22:38:55 »
No novelty keys as it's GMK, though I might see what symbol legends they have.  If we wait and go JTK, there is the potential for novelty keys, but it wouldn't be anything like that spacebar.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 January 2016, 22:41:17 by nubbinator »

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #330 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 22:46:03 »
No novelty keys as it's GMK, though I might see what symbol legends they have.  If we wait and go JTK, there is the potential for novelty keys, but it wouldn't be anything like that spacebar.

GMK Monkey has novelty keys  :)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #331 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 22:49:29 »

I can talk to GMK, but they've stated that they don't do novelty keys.  GMK monkey also went through Cherry I believe.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #332 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 23:01:07 »

I can talk to GMK, but they've stated that they don't do novelty keys.  GMK monkey also went through Cherry I believe.

Ahh ok, sorry. I thought feng actually made that legend and GMK had agreed to make it.

Offline 1deeg

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #334 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 01:24:13 »
Ok, updated keycaps that should be included.  I feel like I need to nuke some to make it more affordable or to break off the super anti-rainbow pack, but I also feel like keeping the massive pack is what will convince a certain population to hop on board.

Let me know what you think can be nuked and what should be kept.  Also, let me know if you prefer the yellow or the blue WASD cluster as one of those can probably be nuked.

126223-0

The bottom pack is organized by row.  Function and number row are the same profile as are the shift and spacebar rows.  There will not be any A profile caps as I feel past buys have clearly shown people do not like it and it is not a good selling point.  I'm still not 100% sure if I'm going to wait for JTK (I need to talk to bunny and see where things are looking timewise) or if I'm going to go GMK.

Hosted image link and direct link to keyboard layout editor.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 January 2016, 02:46:48 by nubbinator »

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #335 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 02:11:40 »
Ok, updated keycaps to include.  I feel like I need to nuke some to make it more affordable or to break off the super anti-rainbow pack, but I also feel like keeping the massive pack is what will convince a certain population to hop on board.

Let me know what you think can be nuked and what should be kept.  Also, let me know if you prefer the yellow or the blue WASD cluster as one of those can probably be nuked.

(Attachment Link)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yU1RidlBFF8/VqsRxmWee0I/AAAAAAAAAhM/lhFh82fmC_U/s1152-Ic42/Manly%252520Unicorn.png[/img]]Hosted image link and direct link to keyboard layout editor.

Blue WASD is best WASD

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #336 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 02:36:32 »
Ok, updated keycaps to include.  I feel like I need to nuke some to make it more affordable or to break off the super anti-rainbow pack, but I also feel like keeping the massive pack is what will convince a certain population to hop on board.

(Attachment Link)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yU1RidlBFF8/VqsRxmWee0I/AAAAAAAAAhM/lhFh82fmC_U/s1152-Ic42/Manly%252520Unicorn.png[/img]]Hosted image link and direct link to keyboard layout editor.

Blue WASD is best WASD

The only problem is that I kind of want to see a Skeletor set and the blue WASD would just be doing caps from that.

Rough Skeletor idea for reference:
More

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #337 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 03:39:12 »

(Attachment Link)

Blue WASD is best WASD

The only problem is that I kind of want to see a Skeletor set and the blue WASD would just be doing caps from that.

More
Show Image

In that case I'd probably just rather not have a WASD cluster at all, yellow doesn't appeal to me really. I see what you mean with the Skeletor set but realistically they would have to both come to fruition and people buy both to even be mildly annoyed, you could just as easily do a yellow WASD cluster with the skeletor.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #338 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 03:53:54 »

(Attachment Link)

Blue WASD is best WASD

More
Show Image

This one is Better than the original IMO

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #339 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 12:46:39 »
Okay, wanted to give a better idea of what everything would be and wanted to update OP.

Should this be run as a complete buy everything set or a base set and child deal?  Should there be a small Esc pack buy first so that people can actually see the colors?  Any caps that can be nuked to make it more affordable?  Any changes that should be made?

I tried to cover all the basic layouts with the add-on set, but since I don't use a ton of alternate layouts I could be missing some essential caps.

126248-0

Potential Esc pack (Ivan already did the yellow on Magenta in a prior pack)

And link to keyboard layout editor permalink.

Offline roadkill54

« Reply #340 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 14:04:46 »
in like flynn

Offline Dee1

« Reply #341 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 15:03:55 »
I'm a fan of the "complete package" buys. I think it makes things simpler.

Offline Goranth

« Reply #342 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 15:19:26 »
The Esc pack is an interesting idea, I would probably get a set if you end up doing it.  The yellow WASD cluster isn't very appealing to me.  Also I noticed that there is no R2 1.5u Backspace key for HHKB type layouts.

Offline Wilkie

« Reply #343 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 15:21:32 »
Any caps that can be nuked to make it more affordable?

To make it more affordable, maybe remove the alternate arrow cluster and one of the WASD sets?  Limit stepped Caps and R3 Control to one color?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #344 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 15:23:53 »
The Esc pack is an interesting idea, I would probably get a set if you end up doing it.  The yellow WASD cluster isn't very appealing to me.  Also I noticed that there is no R2 1.5u Backspace key for HHKB type layouts.

I have that as a question in the OP.  Should I add an R2 1.5x Delete and R1 1x |/ key?  The main reason I didn't is because the Viper is the only board off the top of my head that supports the HHKB layout, so it didn't make sense to add it for such a tiny minority who probably aren't buying it, at least not for the Viper.

Any caps that can be nuked to make it more affordable?

To make it more affordable, maybe remove the alternate arrow cluster and one of the WASD sets?  Limit stepped Caps and R3 Control to one color?

I could delete the one WASD cluster if there's a general consensus for blue or yellow being preferred, but the alt arrows are likely staying for those who want uniform mods.

Similar deal for the stepped and full touch caps, getting rid of them disrupts some winkeyless boards.  If there's a way to reduce the number of caps and control keys without disrupting compatibility, I'm all for it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 January 2016, 15:30:11 by nubbinator »

Offline Goranth

« Reply #345 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 15:37:51 »

I have that as a question in the OP.  Should I add an R2 1.5x Delete and R1 1x |/ key?  The main reason I didn't is because the Viper is the only board off the top of my head that supports the HHKB layout, so it didn't make sense to add it for such a tiny minority who probably aren't buying it, at least not for the Viper.

I believe a lot of the DIY keyboard sets are starting to allow people to create the HHKB layout if they wish, such as the True Fox version of the WhiteFox by Matt3o and LeandreN's latest GB.  I know I personally would have interest in one but as you said I'm not sure how much of a minority that is.  Maybe a new poll would be beneficial in deciding which clusters or addons people want to keep/get rid of?

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #346 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 16:03:51 »
That skeletor set is sick!

Offline shoostep

« Reply #347 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 16:04:58 »
That skeletor set is sick!

Agreed, totally awesome.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #348 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 16:07:03 »
So based on the feedback so far, it's looking like I need to expand a little with some HHKB layout caps (updated permalink with them) and then stay the course with JTK and see about running Skeletor GMK. 

I'm hoping I can get some bulk render discount on sets or my wallet will hate me.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 January 2016, 16:11:30 by nubbinator »

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #349 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 16:29:18 »
I'm still happy to help out with render fees.