Author Topic: [IC] Earfbound (Confirming Vendor)  (Read 102487 times)

Offline Glenmael

[IC] Earfbound (Confirming Vendor)
« on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 05:57:30 »
* [Update] Earfbuond is back and in motion to be run through old school methods and dedicated proxies around APAC, EU and the Americas - watch this space.

DSA Renders
More

More images HERE.

More
Hey all,

This is my first foray into keycap design (read; I have no idea what I'm doing), and what better way to begin than to pay homage to one of the all time greats...that is, Earthfbound!

My inspiration starts from the amazing wallpaper I've been staring at over the past month:
More

I know this may not suit everyone, but I've given it a crack non the less and came up with the following (version 6):

Material: ABS (Doubleshot)
Profile: DSA
Mount: Cherry MX
Color Codes: BED, GFE, VBV, YW, RDA
Font: Engravers’ Gothic (Modern Selectric http://pimpmykeyboard.com/sa-modern-selectric-keyset/)

Note; International kits will be in Dye-Sub on Signature Plastics' standard font

Main Set:
 TKL Kit

More

Child Deals:
 Numpad Kit

More

Alternate Modifiers Kit

More

ISO Kit

More

Alternate Layout Kit

More

Novelties Kit

More

Planck/ATOMIC Layout Kit

More

Alternate Arrows Kit

More

Homing Kit

More

International (Cyrillic/UK/DE/DK/ES/FI/SW/FR//IT/NO) Kits

More

More

More

More

More

More

More

More

More

PMK Chip Colors
118455-0

~Edits
2:
  Added Planck/ATOMIC set
3:
  Added blue/green ESC key to Alternate Modifiers Kit
  Added Alternate Arrows Kit
4:
  Added 'SMAAAASH!!' key to Novelties Kit
5:
  Added 'Crater' ESC to Alternate Modifiers Kit
  Added 'SMAAAASH!!' color options to novelties
  Added Homing Kit
  Added International (Cyrillic/UK/DE/DK/ES/FI/SW/IT/NO) Kits
6:
  Added x1.25 Novelities
7:
  Added SP color chips for reference
8:
  Added renders (HUGE thanks to the main man KingRama for the renders)
9:
  Added DSA pricing
10:
  Removed DSA pricing (will need to be re-negotiated depending on distributor)
  Added Massdrop interest check
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 October 2017, 06:45:12 by Glenmael »

Offline Zorberema

• * Maker
  • IG: @ZorbCaps
Re: [IC] Earfbound
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 06:04:01 »
Looks sweet! :) I'd love a planck kit, as well as european kit / one kit for each country! Check out granite; it managed the child deals extremely well! :)

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 06:23:17 »
Really like it. The colorway is pretty gorgeous, although the lavender could be used a bit more. Two small things, there should be a Blue/green escape key, and mono legend arrow keys.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 06:37:43 »
This looks great, my only issue personally is I'm not a huge fan of the font on the caps.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 06:38:16 »
I think it looks great.

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 07:04:29 »
Looks sweet! :) I'd love a planck kit, as well as european kit / one kit for each country! Check out granite; it managed the child deals extremely well! :)

Thanks! I've added a Planck/Atomic kit. The internationals however may take some time as I'll need to manually find/configure all the varying characters, you wouldn't happen to have a template anywhere would you? :)

Really like it. The colorway is pretty gorgeous, although the lavender could be used a bit more. Two small things, there should be a Blue/green escape key, and mono legend arrow keys.

Cheers! Well the only lavender I had to work with was the roof of the house :)~

I've added the mono legend arrows and moved them to a specific 'Alternate Arrows Kit' as well as the blue/green escape key.

This looks great, my only issue personally is I'm not a huge fan of the font on the caps.

The font is for representative (?) purposes only, and will more closely resemble say the recent Modern Selectric set (http://pimpmykeyboard.com/sa-modern-selectric-keyset/)

Do you have another font in mind?

I think it looks great.

Thanks!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 October 2015, 07:08:06 by Glenmael »

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 07:43:04 »

The font is for representative (?) purposes only, and will more closely resemble say the recent Modern Selectric set (http://pimpmykeyboard.com/sa-modern-selectric-keyset/)

Do you have another font in mind?

Ah okay. I'm a big fan of the Modern Selectric font, so if that's what you choose than I'm a fan!

Offline just66in

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 07:43:57 »
I like this. Man, there's loads of SA profile keycaps in my "to acquire" list. Stay calm wallet...

Offline graefeln

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 08:06:05 »
I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this set. It looks good so far, but I have to say I would love to see a 'SMAAAASH!' key as a replacement for enter or something (perhaps in the novelty kit).

Offline SL89

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 08:49:08 »
yup, i like it

Offline harlw

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 09:54:22 »
great idea!
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 11:09:55 »
Fantastic! Still haven't played it, even though I own the entire Mother series in cartridge format.  :p

Offline Zorberema

• * Maker
  • IG: @ZorbCaps
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 11:21:45 »

Thanks! I've added a Planck/Atomic kit. The internationals however may take some time as I'll need to manually find/configure all the varying characters, you wouldn't happen to have a template anywhere would you? :)
Here's how granite did it; you'd need an ISO enter + shift as well!

This would cover a majority of european users! :) If you search up mito DSA Sci-Fi you can see that he had a specific deal for each country; your choice how you want to keep it! :)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 12:30:55 »

Show Image

This would cover a majority of european users! :) If you search up mito DSA Sci-Fi you can see that he had a specific deal for each country; your choice how you want to keep it! :)

As someone who would actually buy an international kit, I would dramatically prefer separate deals for each country. I know its not always feasible because of concerns around demand, but it's a lot more expensive to have to buy a whole kit with a lot of keys I'm not going to use.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 14:22:09 »
I'll be passing on this since it's all Row 3 SA ( :( ), but I love the inspiration.   :thumb:   The resulting set ends up looking a bit like Calm Depths meets HyperFuse, which is nice, though I'd probably change the color of the mod legends as they seem to stand out a bit too much in my opinion.  The alphas have complementary blues while the mods have contrasting purple/beige.  Just my 2 cents though.  :)

Offline neverused

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 14:53:02 »
It's a shame it'd be SA

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 14:54:22 »
It's a happiness it'd be SA

Fixed that for you.

Offline neverused

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 14:59:52 »
It's a happiness it'd be SA

Fixed that for you.
Nope. The height of R1 and the profile overall lend itself to easily introducing lateral force on the switch and increasing friction. Unless you adapt to the profile for the aesthetic appeal (it is very striking), I personally haven't found an SA set that I enjoy using.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 15:09:49 »
Damn I loved that game..

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 16:48:32 »
I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this set. It looks good so far, but I have to say I would love to see a 'SMAAAASH!' key as a replacement for enter or something (perhaps in the novelty kit).

'SMAAAASH!' key added :)

Show Image

Thanks for the info, I'll try get to this at some stage after work =) to be honest I'm wanting it as fair as possible, so a deal for each country sounds good!

I'll be passing on this since it's all Row 3 SA ( :( ), but I love the inspiration.   :thumb:   The resulting set ends up looking a bit like Calm Depths meets HyperFuse, which is nice, though I'd probably change the color of the mod legends as they seem to stand out a bit too much in my opinion.  The alphas have complementary blues while the mods have contrasting purple/beige.  Just my 2 cents though.  :)

Would it make any difference if it was varying profile SA? :P

I've made a little 'contrast' comparison (see below), don't think I can make it 'darker' without it looking somewhat 'dirty':

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 16:59:47 »
Ugh, Joker + Dasher/Dancer, + Dusk, and now this?  My wallet can only take so much.  I like the color scheme so I'm going to keep an eye on this one and see how things go with time and wallet.

Time to bump up the beer money generation, I guess ;)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 19:05:41 »

I've made a little 'contrast' comparison (see below), don't think I can make it 'darker' without it looking somewhat 'dirty':

Show Image

Yes it would.  :D  I wouldn't mind another sculpted SA set, but all row 3 just wasn't for me. 

The more I look at it, the more the current mod colors grow on me.  So maybe it isn't as big of a deal as I originally made out.  But I am curious why you went with the beige to begin with?  I don't see that color theme in the original inspiration picture, so I'm just curious.  :)  That said, pulling more colors from the original picture, have you tried a color similar to the "cliff" colors as the base for the mods?  Seems to be a more neutral tone to me.  Though at that point the set is largely blue/grey, which is both a little less exciting and more like Calm Depths, which I don't think is the right choice.  Hmm.  (pardon my rambling :)) )

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 19:38:01 »

Show Image

Yes it would.  :D  I wouldn't mind another sculpted SA set, but all row 3 just wasn't for me. 

The more I look at it, the more the current mod colors grow on me.  So maybe it isn't as big of a deal as I originally made out.  But I am curious why you went with the beige to begin with?  I don't see that color theme in the original inspiration picture, so I'm just curious.  :)  That said, pulling more colors from the original picture, have you tried a color similar to the "cliff" colors as the base for the mods?  Seems to be a more neutral tone to me.  Though at that point the set is largely blue/grey, which is both a little less exciting and more like Calm Depths, which I don't think is the right choice.  Hmm.  (pardon my rambling :)) )

:) well I was tossing up between row 3 or 1-1-2-3-4-4 (with SP row 3 Shift and Space Bar), your thoughts?

The beige was as 'close' as I could get to the browney/rocky(grey?) cliff colors without looking too 'dirty' and with what the ABS color palette allows. I tried quite a few varients to make it suitable enough to the cliff and still look good with the violet legends. Hope that made some sense  ;D 

Offline graefeln

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 20:08:22 »

It's beautiful but, and this is my fault, 'SMAAAASH!!' should have two exclamation points.
I seriously can't wait to see how this turns out - Earthbound is just an amazing game and I loved it when I was younger.

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 20:54:01 »

It's beautiful but, and this is my fault, 'SMAAAASH!!' should have two exclamation points.
I seriously can't wait to see how this turns out - Earthbound is just an amazing game and I loved it when I was younger.

No problems at all, easy fix :)

I'll also add a few more color options to align with the other novelties.

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 23:00:44 »

Show Image

As someone who would actually buy an international kit, I would dramatically prefer separate deals for each country. I know its not always feasible because of concerns around demand, but it's a lot more expensive to have to buy a whole kit with a lot of keys I'm not going to use.

Separate options added :)

Offline harlw

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 23:51:31 »
I'd like to see the novelties also in the modifier bottom row personally.
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 00:17:33 »
I'd like to see the novelties also in the modifier bottom row personally.

Done! I'm unsure of how many novelties are 'allowed' so we may need to split them if it becomes too costly :)

Offline sealcouch

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 19:46:37 »
I'd be all about this! I'm a huge EB fan.  I'm gonna be keeping a close eye on this.

Here's something I made a few months ago when I was bored.
http://i.imgur.com/b0JTcuq.jpg

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 01:59:20 »
I'd be all about this! I'm a huge EB fan.  I'm gonna be keeping a close eye on this.

Here's something I made a few months ago when I was bored.
http://i.imgur.com/b0JTcuq.jpg

Awesome! here's hoping you have awesome skillz in 3D rendering  :p

I'm trying to stay away from anything proprietary e.g. the ESC key in your image, as SP has some strict rules around producing anything copyrighted (...I think :|)

From one fan to another, I hope we can make this happen :)

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 11:16:50 »
this

this could be REALLY dope

I haven't purchased anything besides a Cherry or OEM profile set in forever. If this moves forward it will be my first SA set.

Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 11:26:25 »
non related- is this from the game "to the moon"?

btw the set looks great.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 11:27:20 »

btw the set looks great.

It's EarthBound (Mother 2 in Japan).

Offline Butter

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:15:51 »
The novelties kit look really good. Can you separate the image when I click on the image it just make it even smaller.

Offline Zanduby

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:18:23 »
Huge Earthbound fan, this set is great. I love the novelties set. So many awesome sets in this forum.

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 13:35:51 »
I would love this set especiallly in all row 3

Offline lashiel

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 13:56:59 »
Just noticed this. The colors are great . But there's too many keysets on the horizon....!

I need more keyboards to put these on. And a bigger wallet.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 14:48:59 »
I like, I like it a lot. Nice colours ^:)

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 15:29:48 »
this

this could be REALLY dope

I haven't purchased anything besides a Cherry or OEM profile set in forever. If this moves forward it will be my first SA set.

Cheers dude, there are plenty of SA sets around these days, I'm hoping to let this simmer (while I work out how to actually get it off the ground) until the proper shift keys are sorted out with SP (PMK) so we get a nice 'properly' sculpted SA set  :thumb:

I would love this set especiallly in all row 3

See above hehe

Huge Earthbound fan, this set is great. I love the novelties set. So many awesome sets in this forum.

Yeah it's great to see so many people getting interested in this hobby, I used to be a full time lurker and am glad I made the switch  :)

The novelties kit look really good. Can you separate the image when I click on the image it just make it even smaller.

Sure can, here you go:

btw the set looks great.

It's EarthBound (Mother 2 in Japan).

:thumb:

Just noticed this. The colors are great . But there's too many keysets on the horizon....!

I need more keyboards to put these on. And a bigger wallet.

Haha, cheers dude. I'm hoping to organise some color chips for SP and see how they look in real life :)

I like, I like it a lot. Nice colours ^:)

Offline W_hinklebottom

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 16:45:35 »
I'm not sure what all font options are available but it might be cool exploring the one the text in the game was. I am not a 100% it would look good until it was on some renders. I am talking about the pixel style like this

or something like these

edit* added the starting alphabet
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 November 2015, 16:47:42 by W_hinklebottom »

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 18:27:47 »
I'm not sure what all font options are available but it might be cool exploring the one the text in the game was. I am not a 100% it would look good until it was on some renders. I am talking about the pixel style like this

Show Image

or something like these

Show Image

Cool idea, and maybe someone can elaborate on this but I think we are limited to a very small subset of fonts, at least with the SA profile manufactured by SP (PMK).

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 23:12:31 »

Show Image

or something like these

Show Image

Cool idea, and maybe someone can elaborate on this but I think we are limited to a very small subset of fonts, at least with the SA profile manufactured by SP (PMK).

Unless you want to pay for custom molds for a new font then you will be very limited when it comes to options sadly. Unless you choose to dye-sub but I highly doubt that's what you're going for.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 23:21:46 »

Show Image

or something like these

Show Image

Unless you want to pay for custom molds for a new font then you will be very limited when it comes to options sadly. Unless you choose to dye-sub but I highly doubt that's what you're going for.

Thanks for the clarification.

Yeah not thinking dye-sub would be a popular option :(

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 23:36:49 »

Show Image

or something like these

Show Image

No problem, I'd definitely go with double shot as well. People aren't too big of a fan of dye sub since they don't last as long. Any chance of getting a render done for the set, that usually reels in a bigger crowd?

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 23:46:57 »

Show Image

or something like these

Show Image

No problem, I'd definitely go with double shot as well. People aren't too big of a fan of dye sub since they don't last as long. Any chance of getting a render done for the set, that usually reels in a bigger crowd?

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

I'm in Australia and the render options (that I have found) are 50 USD, so without sounding like a tigha$$, 70 AUD for a render is steep for me at this stage, I've spent a mint this month :(

If I wasn't being spammed myself I'd knockup some roughish renders but they wouldn't be anywhere close to what the gurus produce here.

Edit; 50 USD = 70 AUD
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 November 2015, 23:58:35 by Glenmael »

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 23:51:55 »

Show Image

or something like these

Show Image

I'm in Australia and the render options (that I have found) are 50 USD, so without sounding like a tigha$$, 80 AUD for a render is steep for me at this stage, I've spent a mint this month :(

If I wasn't being spammed myself I'd knockup some roughish renders but they wouldn't be anywhere close to what the gurus produce here.

Wow I always forgot about the insane currency jump from USB to AUD. I wish I could help as well, I never really got into rendering. I've been blowing up my wallet as well the past few weeks and even have more to spend in the upcoming week.

Glad to see this IC is still in motion, keep up the good work. :thumb:

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 23:55:52 »

Show Image

or something like these

Show Image

I'm in Australia and the render options (that I have found) are 50 USD, so without sounding like a tigha$$, 80 AUD for a render is steep for me at this stage, I've spent a mint this month :(

Wow I always forgot about the insane currency jump from USB to AUD. I wish I could help as well, I never really got into rendering. I've been blowing up my wallet as well the past few weeks and even have more to spend in the upcoming week.

Glad to see this IC is still in motion, keep up the good work. :thumb:

Haha yeah it's a real killer :( I'll be ok though :P

I'll definitely revisit the render and again, if I have to do some dodgy mock-ups then so be it :)

Cheers  :)

Offline Weltschmerz

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 02:57:51 »
Looks like a pretty awesome set. I'd like to see the legend color and cap color reversed though, I think the lighter blue/green with the darker font would look superb.

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 04:20:52 »
Looks like a pretty awesome set. I'd like to see the legend color and cap color reversed though, I think the lighter blue/green with the darker font would look superb.

Appreciate the suggestions, the reason I didn't go the lighter option is I thought it would like too much like the Jukebox SA set.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 04:46:33 »
I like the colors, not sure about the modifier legends myself, but overall it really looks nice.  :thumb:

"haters are confused admirers"