Author Topic: [IC] SILVERLINE keycap set - seeking specific feedback  (Read 6716 times)

Offline Wilkie

[IC] SILVERLINE keycap set - seeking specific feedback
« on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 12:32:07 »
This is an early-stage interest check for the Silverline keycap set.  I would appreciate your feedback, especially on the specific points listed below the diagrams.  The keycaps would be DSA ABS doubleshot with (custom color) metallic silver legends on black.  The goal is to run this through PMK and Massdrop (anywhere else?).  Please note this design intentionally uses black for all keycaps' base color (i.e., no striped function row, no different color Esc or modifiers, etc.).

UPDATE 29 Jan 2016: SP can't doubleshot the spacebars, so they'd have to be blank or pad printed (if made by SP).  I'm leaving the lines in the diagrams, though, in case this ideal could be possible with a different manufacturer.

Version 1 diagrams, might change:

125994-0

Specific feedback I am looking for (all feedback welcome):

• What additional languages would you use if supported, and would you want additional languages together in one child deal or each as its own deal?
  • Do you want an ErgoDox kit with legends for all keycaps?  Without such a kit, would you still use this on an ErgoDox by combining (black) blanks (which some might already have) with the Base kit?
  • Smaller-than-TKL users: do you want anything added to the Planck + JD40 kit?  For example, I believe it currently does not fully support Atomic.  If you want something added, please be precise (size, legend).
  • Do you want keycaps with windows for LEDs, such as windowed CAPS, windowed stepped CAPS, etc.?  I am not yet sure how I would handle a window on a keycap with the silver square surrounding the legend, such as S2 (in the Scroll Lock position).
  • Your thoughts about WASDEF and HIJKL kits?  Leave as-is, combine into one kit, reduce to just WASD?
  • Your thoughts about the Homing kit (deep dish for Colemak, Dvorak, etc.)?  Leave as-is or combine with another kit, like WASDEF, HIJKL, or even Base?  I don't have experience with this, but I imagine that combining some kits might result in higher order numbers and therefore lower prices per keycap (but possibly offset by more keycaps per kit).  And not combining might mean some kits can't reach MOQ and would have to be removed.
  • Do you want support for swapping CTRL and CAPS?  If so, do you want both stepped and non-stepped CTRL, or only one?  If this can't be its own kit, to which kit should it be added, Splits or Winkeyless?  Any other CAPS swaps desired?
  • Your thoughts about the Communities kit?  Leave as-is, add other communities, add other types of novelties (compatible with the overall design), remove?
  • I think this should be ABS, but would anyone prefer POM for both black and silver (if metallic silver POM were possible)?

And of course, if you like Silverline, please let me know which kits you might be interested in (no commitment) so I can begin to get a slight idea of numbers.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 January 2016, 15:08:36 by Wilkie »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: [IC] SILVERLINE keycap set - seeking specific feedback
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 12:59:12 »
That looks rather sleek. A nice segue from the standard white-on-black.

Offline agbockus

[IC] SILVERLINE keycap set - seeking specific feedback
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 13:04:26 »
I like how clean and sleek the mock ups look. Seriously, very nice!

I would say for the Outlined extras, to maybe just go with a WASD kit and then the homing keys F an J. But that's just my thoughts!
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 January 2016, 13:05:57 by agbockus »

Offline Zorberema

• * Maker
  • IG: @ZorbCaps
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 13:07:17 »
I completely agree with romevi and agbockus, looks extremely clean! I like that you choose silver over just plain white! Also... International please :)

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 13:12:33 »
I'll buy it for that spacebar.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 13:24:08 »
I like the outline idea for accent keys, this looks really clean and simplistic with a consistent design element to it to make it more than just a standard colourway! vaguely gives me the feel of the look of these keys which I've always loved.
More
Also excuse my ignorance but what is the EF for in the WASDEF pack for?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 13:31:18 »
OMG I just realized you added ESDF! Now I have to buy this set. First gamer kit I want to add.

I like the outline idea for accent keys, this looks really clean and simplistic with a consistent design element to it to make it more than just a standard colourway! vaguely gives me the feel of the look of these keys which I've always loved.
More
Show Image

For ESDF master race.
http://use-esdf.org/

Offline Wilkie

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 15:27:19 »
I like how clean and sleek the mock ups look. Seriously, very nice!

I would say for the Outlined extras, to maybe just go with a WASD kit and then the homing keys F an J. But that's just my thoughts!

Thanks.  The Base kit comes with both deep dish and normal F and J already.  The Homing kit would be for Colemak, Dvorak, etc. users who want deep dish, but offering it would depend on interest level.

Offline Wilkie

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 15:28:45 »
I completely agree with romevi and agbockus, looks extremely clean! I like that you choose silver over just plain white! Also... International please :)

Thanks.  Would you want a single international kit or one kit per language?  And are you interested in only Swedish, or other languages, too?

Offline Wilkie

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 15:30:31 »
OMG I just realized you added ESDF! Now I have to buy this set. First gamer kit I want to add.

More
Show Image

For ESDF master race.

I'm surprised more sets don't include it.  Not much extra if you're already doing WASD.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 16:38:23 »

More
Show Image

For ESDF master race.

I'm surprised more sets don't include it.  Not much extra if you're already doing WASD.

Right? That's what I'm saying.

I have to add that this set and mock-up is very well done. It actually adds to how clean your overall proposal appears. Will most likely order a set if it comes to that.

How difficult would PBT be for this? I just ordered my first DSA set (Granite round 4) so I don't know much about it or if PBT would work.

Offline Wilkie

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 16:43:41 »

More
Show Image

For ESDF master race.

Right? That's what I'm saying.

I have to add that this set and mock-up is very well done. It actually adds to how clean your overall proposal appears. Will most likely order a set if it comes to that.

How difficult would PBT be for this? I just ordered my first DSA set (Granite round 4) so I don't know much about it or if PBT would work.

Thanks, romevi.  My first design, so that's encouraging to hear.  With PBT, you can dyesub the legends if they are darker than the keycaps, but, in this case, since the legends are lighter, they'd have to be doubleshot.  As far as I know, the only place that can do doubleshot PBT is Vortex, and I think I'd rather run things through Signature Plastics if possible.  The only viable PBT option would be pad printing and then covering with some clear protective layer, but I have the impression most people don't like that and would prefer doubleshot ABS.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 20:19:41 »
I think this set will look awesome, but I just can't get into the DSA profile for some reason.

Offline ika

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 20:26:39 »
That looks really awesome, but have you contacted SP to see if what you want is even possible? I was not aware they could do lines through spacebars.

Offline Wilkie

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 20:44:51 »
That looks really awesome, but have you contacted SP to see if what you want is even possible? I was not aware they could do lines through spacebars.

Just asked SP, will post what they say.  Thanks.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 20:45:39 »

They can do anything, just a matter of how much money you want to throw at the issue.

Offline Vypr

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 12:41:46 »
I might be interested in an Ergodox set depending on the price.
current keyboard: VE.A (home) WhiteFox TrueFox (home)  MD1 Infinity (Home)  Infinity Ergodox (work)
future keyboards:

Offline Wilkie

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 12:46:11 »
I might be interested in an Ergodox set depending on the price.

Thanks, Vypr.  If there's more interest in ErgoDox, I'll create mockups in a consistent style.

Offline Wilkie

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 14:21:51 »

Heard from SP and unfortunately they can't doubleshot a line through the spacebar, so this would have to use blank spacebars if it went through them.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 14:44:20 »

Heard from SP and unfortunately they can't doubleshot a line through the spacebar, so this would have to use blank spacebars if it went through them.

I think they can do pad printing though. Probably wear off on a spacebar over time, but it would be an option.

Offline Wilkie

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 15:03:51 »

I think they can do pad printing though. Probably wear off on a spacebar over time, but it would be an option.

Thanks, mashby.  Yes, Melissa said they could, but I think the spacebar would be the worst place for wear, and I'm not sure how the combination of pad printing and doubleshot would look.  I'm leaning towards blank spacebars rather than pad printing, but I'm certainly open to considering it, if others feel differently.