Author Topic: Hello from Asia~!  (Read 4709 times)

Offline Geckt

Hello from Asia~!
« on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 11:35:22 »
Hello geekhackers, am from singapore and in my 30s.

Only caught the keyboard modding fever just recently when I find that my obsession with PC modding completely to my specific liking just isn't enough when my keyboards is just not matching my builds. What caught my attention was the rise of more and more D.I.Y kits available on the market and while researching for one I found myself here in the geekhack forum looking for something more forgiving for myself to start messing with somewhere.  ;D

My current keyboards:
K65
K90
Li-Keyboard 87 (MX Black Switches. Imported from China)

List of items I bought on impulse recently:
Vortex Pok3r (MX Clear Switches. White Case and LEDs.)
NPKC Blank PBT Keycaps
TaiHao PBT sets: Miami and Black/Red

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello from Asia~!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 03:59:35 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Impulse buys are fun sometimes ;)

Which switches are your favourite?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 04:03:59 »
Hello!!!
I'm a neighbour of yours, the one who give you haze every year

enjoy and welcome :)
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline Geckt

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 01:11:09 »
@Hapster: No real preferences yet tho I really didn't liked red switches since they are simply too soft and am still looking for a fave before I move on to a JD45 or modding a HHKB.
So a burning question, I found this wicked new switch in purple named the Zealios MX and what's the differences between these and the standard Cherry's? Sure matches those TaiHao Lavender/Mint Caps I managed to fumble upon on Taobao.

@Jokrik:LOL, hello there and thank you mate. :)

Offline sitch

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 01:13:09 »
Hey welcome to geekhack, your fever came on the right time! 1SGD:1USD, while in malaysia...  :'(

Offline Geckt

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 01:19:56 »
@Sitch: Yea, unfortunately and I had to cancel a bunch of shipments from there too cuz the price are simply too much expensive.

]I think if you're proficient with Mandarin, TaoBao or 淘宝 is simply a heaven for anyone into keyboard modding.

PS: not sure if I should talk about sites like those ^....
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 March 2016, 01:24:00 by Geckt »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 22:23:51 »
@Hapster: No real preferences yet tho I really didn't liked red switches since they are simply too soft and am still looking for a fave before I move on to a JD45 or modding a HHKB.
So a burning question, I found this wicked new switch in purple named the Zealios MX and what's the differences between these and the standard Cherry's? Sure matches those TaiHao Lavender/Mint Caps I managed to fumble upon on Taobao.

Zealios have custom springs, custom purple sliders and custom clear housings.

You can read more about them here.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Geckt

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 13:25:30 »

welp...
too much for me to digest at once...

guess I would mess more with the basic cherries and gaterons first.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 20:53:43 »
Welcome  :thumb: Plenty of info available on GH

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 04:06:46 »

welp...
too much for me to digest at once...

guess I would mess more with the basic cherries and gaterons first.

If you're buying switches, there's not that much between buying a bag of MX blacks, or a bag of Zealios (except maybe price).

But I have only heard positive things about Zealios, and all sorts of tales about MX blacks!

Offline Geckt

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 05:12:00 »
well they appealed to as i am looking  for either linear/tactile switches with the higher resistances on springs as long as they're not clicky erm "noisy". idk what you would say erm actuation force?

My impressions atm for some of the switches I've tried:
Reds-rarely anything at all, if anything they felt like marshmallows to me.
Blues-Skipped, imo they're almost like reds to me except they're noi... clicky.
Black-are still nice but I only possessed the kailh's which are a tad softer I felt.
Green-Perfect resistance for my preference but they're too loud and it's downstrokes felt rough.

As it is I'm waiting for those clears to test on.

One noob question tho is it possible to silence out the clicky sound on the greens at all?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 03:39:29 »
well they appealed to as i am looking  for either linear/tactile switches with the higher resistances on springs as long as they're not clicky erm "noisy". idk what you would say erm actuation force?

Black-are still nice but I only possessed the kailh's which are a tad softer I felt.
Green-Perfect resistance for my preference but they're too loud and it's downstrokes felt rough.

One noob question tho is it possible to silence out the clicky sound on the greens at all?

No, you can't silence the greens without changing sliders, which effectively makes them be not greens.

Clears are a bit heavier than greens, have a good tactile bump, and no click.

Massdrop has a drop for Gateron switches at the moment, but nothing like clears.  Gateron browns are as MX browns, about the same weight as MX red/blue and with a very slight tactile bump.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/smd-led-compatible-gateron-switches?mode=guest_open

I'd suggest waiting for the clears and see if you like those.

Offline Geckt

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 10:37:15 »

No, you can't silence the greens without changing sliders, which effectively makes them be not greens.

Massdrop has a drop for Gateron switches at the moment, but nothing like clears.  Gateron browns are as MX browns, about the same weight as MX red/blue and with a very slight tactile bump.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/smd-led-compatible-gateron-switches?mode=guest_open

I think I've tried just about all the mx switch types out there including those milk switches and I'm glad I chose the clears for my pok3r.

Right now I am thinking of getting myself some ALPS or Topre boards to try before I settle for a fave switch. Somehow, I kinda have that feeling I am not going to like the Topre's when I read they're actually kinda soft before you hit the "membrane" part of the switch.

I even went to took the time to go find some extra bags of springs and lubes (100CN) heavier then the green ones rated @80CN to store in case I really wanna go the whole nine yards to even mod switches myself.

PS: I'm quite a tapper instead of touch typing and that's the reason why I really like the heavier switches more I felt.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 19:29:02 »

I think I've tried just about all the mx switch types out there including those milk switches and I'm glad I chose the clears for my pok3r.

Right now I am thinking of getting myself some ALPS or Topre boards to try before I settle for a fave switch. Somehow, I kinda have that feeling I am not going to like the Topre's when I read they're actually kinda soft before you hit the "membrane" part of the switch.

I even went to took the time to go find some extra bags of springs and lubes (100CN) heavier then the green ones rated @80CN to store in case I really wanna go the whole nine yards to even mod switches myself.

PS: I'm quite a tapper instead of touch typing and that's the reason why I really like the heavier switches more I felt.

Yes, Topre does tend to have initial resistance, then buttery smooth all the way to the bottom :)

Also have you tried buckling springs?

If you do want to try Alps that's a whole new universe - there are dozens of type of Alps switches and Alps clones!

Offline Geckt

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 19:59:16 »
Right noted, thank you for taking time to answer my noobish questions!

Will be skipping the alps then, and as a matter of fact I used to have a buckling spring board but then again its just as hard as chasing a unicorn trying to get a vintage one in compact sized like a TKL.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 20:07:57 »
I wasn't suggesting you skip Alps, just that when you do go down that road be prepared to spend a lot of time investigating all the options.

Have a look at the Alps appreciation thread ;)

Offline Geckt

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 20:41:37 »
I will probably be posting again with a proper thread the next time I really needed to do some modding, seeing that I overstayed in the welcome lobby. lol

Edit: Not really considering Alps since they aren't very available in the market here for us, meh I liked to keep my wallet with less holes in it. lmao
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 March 2016, 20:57:10 by Geckt »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 20:45:09 »
I will probably be posting again with a proper thread the next time I really needed to do some modding, seeing that I overstayed in the welcome lobby. lol

I don't think there is an "overstayed".  Although not everyone checks this section, so to get more responses it would be a better idea to post specific questions in the appropriate area ;)