Author Topic: [IC] GMK Grey on Black quote under $60 TKL (excl. shipping)  (Read 8452 times)

Offline Wilkie

GMK grey (CC) legends on black (CR) base.  I dislike the high contrast of white on black and don't want black on "black"=grey caps to clash with my black keyboard.  Do others feel the same way?

No arrow symbols on Shift, Tab, Backspace, Enter.  Personally preference, I think it looks cleaner/simpler/calmer than the usual or the icon-only modifiers.  According to GMK, "Enter legend without arrows isn't available right now, but we would create that legend with no additional costs for you and the community."

88 pcs TKL + stepped Caps Lock quoted by GMK at 51.56€ (150 MOQ), 47.49€ (250 MOQ). Excludes shipping. Packing in zip-lock bags or option of packing in plastic trays for additional 3.71€ (150 MOQ), 3.55€ (250 MOQ).

GMK render below shows 105 pcs, quoted at 61.22€ (150 MOQ), 56.40€ (250 MOQ).

Trying to keep the cost down by eliminating keys for other layouts.  I wonder if the people who want winkeyless or splits, e.g., have acceptable keys from other sets.

I asked about the wrong-way # symbol, too-large (to my eyes) ~ and ^, and vertically off-center  ~, ^, and *, and have some potentially good news from GMK about the #: "Concerning the “3#” key I will see what I can do. In case of placing an order I am sure we will find a solution for this key."  Don't know how others feel about this, but the # has always bothered me, especially given GMK prices.  The rest I could live with as is.

Please leave a comment if 1) you'd be interest in TKL as described, 2) you'd be interested in full-size as described, but not TKL, or 3) you'd be interested in either TKL or full-size but only if other keys were added (e.g., ISO country-specific).  Also, what do you think about the windows and menu keys?  Change them to text-only in keeping with the Shift, Tab, Backspace, Enter treatment?  I haven't discussed options for them with GMK.

Finally, but very importantly, if there is sufficient interest, I would ideally like to see this run through an existing trusted buying channel, whether MD or a community member's shop or something else other than me running the GB.  I have never run a GB, don't have a huge desire to do so, and have concerns about user-run GBs in general.  If you have suggestions, please leave a comment.  If there is enough interest, I will be happy to help get this set up between GMK and the buying channel.  Thanks!

136494-0

Offline logomachy

Re: [IC] GMK Grey on Black quote under $60 TKL (excl. shipping)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 16:31:24 »
From the render, they looks like shine-through keys not being lit up.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 17:12:39 »
The part of the proposal that may be somewhat attractive is the price, as I am a sixty user the number pad keys have no use, so a low cost TKL is what I need, for the bottom row I already have some keys that can cover it. The color of the legend is not attractive at all, while I am a touch typist I like the high contrast in double shot sets for the occasional glances, maybe black legends on light gray could be more attractive.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 May 2016, 17:41:36 by ideus »

Offline WNovizar

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 17:37:19 »
This will look like dolch modifier colors in real world right?
I like mechanical keyboards

Offline Wilkie

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 18:08:52 »
This will look like dolch modifier colors in real world right?

I believe GMK Replica Dolch and Sky Dolch use CC for alpha base color, which would be legend color here.  However, I believe they use N9 for modifier base color, not the CR base here.  CR is darker, see https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79535.0.

Offline Wilkie

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 18:14:23 »
The part of the proposal that may be somewhat attractive is the price, as I am a sixty user the number pad keys have no use, so a low cost TKL is what I need, for the bottom row I already have some keys that can cover it. The color of the legend is not attractive at all, while I am a touch typist I like the high contrast in double shot sets for the occasional glances, maybe black legends on light gray could be more attractive.

Thanks for your comments.  If you want high contrast or light grey base, this is not the IC for you, and that would not be the IC for me.  But I would encourage you to try to gather interest separately for whatever you want. I wouldn't think the low price would be dependent on these specific colors, but you can ask GMK and find out.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 18:25:59 »
I'd be interested. I don't really care about the modifier changes, they all look the same to me. However, I would very much love winkeyless as a winkeyless user. Any chance of changing the bars to scoops? It looks cleaner in my opinion.

Offline Willyc277

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 20:28:15 »
Would be really really hard to pass up a $60 GMK set. Will be keeping an eye on this one. I don't stray very far from standard ANSI, so this is great for me! Could see this doing incredibly well as a TKL kit on MD as I'm pretty sure 90% of their audience is looking to cover Pokers or some generic TKL.

Offline WNovizar

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 20:30:10 »
Would it be possible to change it to N9 base color instead of CR Base?
I like mechanical keyboards

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 06:13:42 »
Love the price, but not really sure whether this color combination will look good in real life.

ISO support (4 extra keys) would be nice  :thumb:

Offline sambarugh

• Megalixir
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 10:17:49 »
If the F and J were scooped I'd be interested for sure. I have a feeling these colors would look good IRL.

Offline punkpc

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 13:00:22 »
I would be interested in the TKL or Full set.

The only other key I would like to see is Function "Fn" instead of a menu key, but I would buy the set either way.

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 19:34:32 »
The price is the only point that atrract me.
i don't  know how the real set looks like after production,may be some contrast but soft color is better.
almost three WoB sets coming simultaneously would split the meet for set likes CC OR CR.

Offline Saiph

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 00:30:31 »
I'd be interested at that price point.

Offline codywanks

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 00:30:52 »
This is far from being my favourite colourway but I'd still be in for two sets based on price alone.

I also like the idea of only getting 88 + 1 keys & not paying extra for a bloated set

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 16:20:16 »
Has this gb ever started?

Given the very intersting price point, I wonder if there could be someone interested in launching a gb for alphas only. Probably about 50 keys, which could cost how much... $35?

Offline Wilkie

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 16:25:34 »
Has this gb ever started?

Given the very intersting price point, I wonder if there could be someone interested in launching a gb for alphas only. Probably about 50 keys, which could cost how much... $35?

No, the gb did not start.  There did not seem to be enough interest for a gb.  People like the price, but I seem to be in the minority on the colors.  Perhaps, a more popular color scheme would attract enough interest, but I'll leave that to someone else.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 16:27:37 »
The price is great, but I feel that the similarity between this and WoB is too similar. While it may look more mute, I can't see this taking off too strongly.

On top of that, the lack of support for other sets might lead this set to be unsuccessful. People have more boards than just TKL:P
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 17:03:28 »
An alpha set with some extras may be a low cost alternative to this that, in my opinion, may clash with the upcoming WoB full support set. You may try to get some attention, but I'd say that people would prefer to pay for full coverage, extra mods, extra rows and all in a full all inclusive set. Instead of compete with the other upcoming set you could offer a complimentary set.