Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3503858 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #15450 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 10:49:11 »
As someone who has no experience soldering or building anything electronically is there a good/affordable kit out there to learn how to build boards? I wouldn't mind taking a crack at it, but I don't want to ruin an expensive board.

Thanks! <3
IIRC mkawa had learn to solder kits from a company. Forget what it is. I recommend grabbing some kind of electronic from the thrift store like a VCR, ripping out any pcb you can find, and practice soldering or desoldering on the components.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #15451 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 12:02:39 »
As someone who has no experience soldering or building anything electronically is there a good/affordable kit out there to learn how to build boards? I wouldn't mind taking a crack at it, but I don't want to ruin an expensive board.

Thanks! <3
IIRC mkawa had learn to solder kits from a company. Forget what it is. I recommend grabbing some kind of electronic from the thrift store like a VCR, ripping out any pcb you can find, and practice soldering or desoldering on the components.
If I remember correctly, it was an Edsyn CL1481 iron, a DS-017 Soldapullt, some tips for the iron, and solder (maybe on a spool?).

He still has some of that stuff at geekhackers.org, but I don't know what his stock situation or shipping timelines are.

You can always call Edsyn directly and order over the phone. They are very friendly and helpful.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15452 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 12:04:31 »

Thanks! <3
If I remember correctly, it was an Edsyn CL1481 iron, a DS-017 Soldapullt, some tips for the iron, and solder (maybe on a spool?).

He still has some of that stuff at geekhackers.org, but I don't know what his stock situation or shipping timelines are.

You can always call Edsyn directly and order over the phone. They are very friendly and helpful.

Right that's the soldering kit he had. But I bought a kit with like a PCB and some components to make a little game and it was advertised as a learn-to-solder kit. I know they sell 'em at Microcenter but they're marketed as DIY toys.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15453 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 12:07:21 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:27:28 by alienman82 »

Offline AnTi PRO

• DAS Boot
« Reply #15454 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 14:54:26 »

Thanks! <3

That's actually not a bad idea. I know my dad has some old soldering stuff next time I see him I'll see what I can grab from him. And I know for a fact there's some old VCRs in the basement as well that I can rip apart.

Thanks! <3

I'll have to check that out. I'm holding out to see if I can score some old tools from my dad as well.

Thanks! <3

Right that's the soldering kit he had. But I bought a kit with like a PCB and some components to make a little game and it was advertised as a learn-to-solder kit. I know they sell 'em at Microcenter but they're marketed as DIY toys.

I was just at micro center last night did see the "learn to solder kit".  I love that store... Bought a teensy hehe

Awesome! There's a Mircocenter not too far away I'll see what I can find over there this week. Do you know what section they would probably be in?

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15455 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 15:00:14 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:27:07 by alienman82 »

Offline AnTi PRO

• DAS Boot
« Reply #15456 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 15:18:34 »
Awesome! There's a Mircocenter not too far away I'll see what I can find over there this week. Do you know what section they would probably be in?

They were in the electronics section on the wall hanging in the baggies they come in.  They had a lot of microcontrollers, I spotted the teensy while I was leaving and picked it up for future soarer converting :D

Awesome looks like I will be playing adult legos this weekend.

Cheers!

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15457 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 15:43:54 »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline AnTi PRO

• DAS Boot
« Reply #15458 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 15:56:59 »
And, of course, you should read this:

http://mightyohm.com/files/soldercomic/FullSolderComic_EN.pdf

Haha this is awesome. The lead part cracked me up.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15459 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 16:01:52 »
And, of course, you should read this:

http://mightyohm.com/files/soldercomic/FullSolderComic_EN.pdf

Very nice guide, the author is good at entertaining.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #15460 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 18:53:43 »
This question might not have a simple answer but still...

Today I bought a working Brother AX-400 at a thrift store for $10 and I'd love to use it but I use Dvorak. Does anyone know if they made a Dvorak print wheel for them? A quick google search didn't get me anywhere.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15461 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 08:12:18 »

Today I bought a working Brother AX-400 at a thrift store for $10 and I'd love to use it but I use Dvorak. Does anyone know if they made a Dvorak print wheel for them? A quick google search didn't get me anywhere.

Dunno but I found the user manual. I glanced at the Table of Contents and it doesn't seem like it supports non-QWERTY English layouts. Just different languages.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #15462 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 10:41:32 »

Dunno but I found the user manual. I glanced at the Table of Contents and it doesn't seem like it supports non-QWERTY English layouts. Just different languages.
That's what it looked like to me, I think I'll have to modify the printwheel it came with.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Bananabooty2409

« Reply #15463 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 23:47:27 »
Hello. Today I got my HHBK pro 2. its is my first topre board but I have owned a few mechanical boards with cherry switches before this. Anyways, I really like it alot and its my favorite keyboard I have used so far but my "1" key for whatever reason feels way lighter and feels much different from the rest of the board which has been throwing me off while gaming. It also lacks the "thump" that the other keys have when they bottom out and is much softer. I removed the keycap to see if there was something jammed under it or something but everything looked normal. anyone know what this could be?

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15464 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 01:22:41 »
New or used? If new, return to manufacturer. If used, return to seller.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15465 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 00:49:15 »
Would I have any issues trying to swap Alps SKCL Greens into a board with Matias switches...without desoldering? The parts seem swappable, just wondering about the switch leaves themselves, if they are removable or would work on a linear switch just fine.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15466 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 06:04:08 »
Would I have any issues trying to swap Alps SKCL Greens into a board with Matias switches...without desoldering? The parts seem swappable, just wondering about the switch leaves themselves, if they are removable or would work on a linear switch just fine.

Don't think they're directly swappable. If I understand how the Matias switch construction works, it doesn't account for all the extra parts that Alps SKCL Greens will have. I've never tried it before though so it's worth experimenting with. But it's my understanding that you can only swap complicated Alps with complicated Alps parts and Matias with Matias.

Offline Rally Man

« Reply #15467 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 12:59:20 »
Does anyone make full size Filco anodized aluminium shells?  I tend to see more TKL shells then full size.  I'd appreciate any help.
INPUT GEAR
Work: Logitech MX Revolution |
Filco "Hulk" Majestouch-2 Tactile Action NKR
Home: Razer Imperator | Filco "Doraemon" Majestouch-2 Tactile Action NKR
Want:  3DConnexion SpaceMouse Enterprise | Logitech MX Master

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #15468 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 12:59:59 »
Does anyone make full size Filco anodized aluminium shells?  I tend to see more TKL shells then full size.  I'd appreciate any help.

There used to be a guillotine case for Filcos but I don't know where to get them.

This is the only aftermarket full size case that existed to my knowledge for filcos.
I love Elzy

Offline Rally Man

« Reply #15469 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 20:37:28 »
Yeah, that's a bit bigger then what I had in mind.
INPUT GEAR

Offline unoab

« Reply #15470 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 21:03:32 »

These ones were posted in another thread where some people were arguing, but do fit what you are looking for as they are for filcos:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Quality-Anodized-Aluminum-Case-Shell-For-Filco-104-Mechanical-Keyboard/32692295491.html
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Quality-Anodized-Aluminum-Case-Shell-For-Filco-104-Mechanical-Keyboard/32648390668.html

Offline brighenne

« Reply #15471 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 12:39:24 »
Dang I didn't know there was a guillotine for filcos. I want that.

Offline Rally Man

« Reply #15472 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 09:12:34 »

These ones were posted in another thread where some people were arguing, but do fit what you are looking for as they are for filcos:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Quality-Anodized-Aluminum-Case-Shell-For-Filco-104-Mechanical-Keyboard/32692295491.html
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Quality-Anodized-Aluminum-Case-Shell-For-Filco-104-Mechanical-Keyboard/32648390668.html

Thanks.  I can't see if they offer different color options instead of just red.  Also not sure about the payment options it listed on those links.

Edit: Nevermind, It seems like all the payment options weren't listed when viewing on a smartphone.  Also I'm contacting them directly to see if they offer different color options.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 August 2016, 09:20:33 by Rally Man »
INPUT GEAR

Offline brighenne

« Reply #15473 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 12:00:18 »

Thanks.  I can't see if they offer different color options instead of just red.  Also not sure about the payment options it listed on those links.

Edit: Nevermind, It seems like all the payment options weren't listed when viewing on a smartphone.  Also I'm contacting them directly to see if they offer different color options.

There are other color options in the listings for that case in taobao. They also are supposed to come with a case mount mini b adapter and aluminum feet.

Offline BurnMyDread

« Reply #15474 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 18:42:25 »
So I assembled my b.mini x2 recently. It's my first board with a 7u spacebar and my first board with cherry stabs. I've noticed that when pressing down on the very ends of the spacebar that the switch doesn't activate due to only one side or the other being pressed down, which sometimes leads to missed spaces while typing. Is this normal for longer spacebars with cherry stabilizers and just something I'll have to adjust for?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #15475 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 18:55:54 »
So I assembled my b.mini x2 recently. It's my first board with a 7u spacebar and my first board with cherry stabs. I've noticed that when pressing down on the very ends of the spacebar that the switch doesn't activate due to only one side or the other being pressed down, which sometimes leads to missed spaces while typing. Is this normal for longer spacebars with cherry stabilizers and just something I'll have to adjust for?
This definitely doesn't sound normal. Could you make a video showing this?

Sounds like the stabilizer isn't working :-X

Offline BurnMyDread

« Reply #15476 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 22:42:51 »
This definitely doesn't sound normal. Could you make a video showing this?

Sounds like the stabilizer isn't working :-X

https://vid.me/S1o5

I made a quick video. You can tell when the switch gets activated by the browser scrolling in the background.

Edit: I'm using cherry mx clears with clipped stabs FYI.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 August 2016, 22:45:44 by BurnMyDread »

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #15477 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 15:31:11 »
Anyone have and tips for PCB mount stabs that come loose when pulling off tight keycaps? Anyone stick anything inside the mounting part to prevent it from detaching from the PCB?

Offline E3E

« Reply #15478 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 15:34:38 »
Anyone have and tips for PCB mount stabs that come loose when pulling off tight keycaps? Anyone stick anything inside the mounting part to prevent it from detaching from the PCB?

Toothpicks are one way to do it, to spread the tab wide so it can't pop back out. This won't stop the wire from popping out of place though. I haven't thought of anything for that issue, myself, which is the most frustrating one for me.

Offline ntw

« Reply #15479 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 08:02:14 »

guys, are the black ones 55g domes?

harvested it from Sony News Topre NWP-411A
Wishlist: Hungrkey, Creamsicle Skullthulhu, MDMAver Skullthulhu, Goo, Taka

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15480 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 10:33:30 »
Are the Novatouch stems compatible with hypersphere rings?
Also, have anyone ordered the ANSI set in Europe before? I can only find the ISO set on the european CM store.

Offline ntw

« Reply #15481 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 17:04:25 »
Show Image

guys, are the black ones 55g domes?

harvested it from Sony News Topre NWP-411A
answering my own question with answer from Zeal, yes the black ones are 55g domes and the grey ones are the 45g domes

Are the Novatouch stems compatible with hypersphere rings?
Also, have anyone ordered the ANSI set in Europe before? I can only find the ISO set on the european CM store.
Novatouch stem has the same diameter as the Topre stem so it fits the hypersphere rings
Wishlist: Hungrkey, Creamsicle Skullthulhu, MDMAver Skullthulhu, Goo, Taka

Offline Dwarlorf

« Reply #15482 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 06:42:15 »
More
I know my GH60 doesn't have full LED support but I read I can put a few in. Is this correct? If so, is there a maximum number?
You'll see where they can go by the spots for the resistors on the PCB. You'll need to install those for any LEDs to work.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I take it where it says + and - on the PCB is where the LEDs can go. And the spots where there's two vertical lines and key description is where the transistors go.

How do I know what transistors to get? Does it depend on the  LEDs I choose or is there anything else I have to look out for?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50865.10

I got it all working! Thank you for your help.

E5XKBP10140                 GH60 Iso/Ansi hybrid, cherry mx red

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #15483 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 09:53:51 »
I've been out of the loop for a few months. Have we got thick Alps caps yet?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15484 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 09:54:54 »
I've been out of the loop for a few months. Have we got thick Alps caps yet?

New stuff? No. Vintage stuff? Yes.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15485 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 14:23:12 »
Is Jukebox still the last SA-set Massdrop had? Been a while, hasn't it? Are they falling out of love with us...?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #15486 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 14:27:24 »
Is Jukebox still the last SA-set Massdrop had? Been a while, hasn't it? Are they falling out of love with us...?
Chocolatier ended recently.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15487 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 14:51:49 »
Completely overlooked that. Not my thing :)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #15488 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 10:33:45 »
What approximate temp range do I use on my FX888D for SMD soldering?  I'm trying to add the bluetooth kit to my GON NerD60.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15489 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 10:48:36 »
What approximate temp range do I use on my FX888D for SMD soldering?  I'm trying to add the bluetooth kit to my GON NerD60.

I have been told 300cel.

I have also seen people suggest going as high as 700.
they might have been lost and talking Fahrenheit.

all with leaded

Id prob go 300-350C

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #15490 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 11:05:28 »

I have been told 300cel.

I have also seen people suggest going as high as 700.
they might have been lost and talking Fahrenheit.

all with leaded

Id prob go 300-350C

Perfect, thank you.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15491 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 13:43:56 »
I've always used 300C, but I'm told with smaller soldering points higher temperatures can be better, IF you're sure your hands don't shake...

How much lube should I get for 183 keys? (3x60%)
And is there an easier way to open switches than with the opening tools from mechanicalkeyboards.com? I always end up almost bending them when trying to open a switch from both sides at the same time, and if I open them one side at the time I end up closing the first side when opening the second - again and again...
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 August 2016, 13:52:09 by tofgerl »

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15492 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 14:06:10 »
I've always used 300C, but I'm told with smaller soldering points higher temperatures can be better, IF you're sure your hands don't shake...

How much lube should I get for 183 keys? (3x60%)
And is there an easier way to open switches than with the opening tools from mechanicalkeyboards.com? I always end up almost bending them when trying to open a switch from both sides at the same time, and if I open them one side at the time I end up closing the first side when opening the second - again and again...

Good point on the soldering, shakey hands mean a big mess.

For the lubing, what kind of switch? linear, tactile, clicky, or topre?

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15493 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 14:08:28 »
Zealios. I'm gonna get some in the next buy if the tube I have isn't enough.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15494 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 15:10:19 »

The thicker stuff in my experience goes alot faster, so I would just get 3 vials at least to be safe.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15495 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 16:54:05 »

The thicker stuff in my experience goes alot faster, so I would just get 3 vials at least to be safe.
Better safe than sorry :)

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15496 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 04:29:22 »
Never thought of this before, but a Q in the pricing thread put it into my mind: After GMK bought the machining for cherry profile keycaps, do Cherry keyboards still use the same caps? Do they buy them from GMK, or did they buy new machines with a different profile?

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15497 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 09:49:26 »
Speaking of Cherry keycaps, this is supposedly one, and it certainly has the right profile, but why does it have legs?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15498 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 09:54:12 »
Can you try and use a multi-quote next time instead of triple posting?

Speaking of Cherry keycaps, this is supposedly one, and it certainly has the right profile, but why does it have legs?
Show Image

I believe it's for the old style stabilizers.

Never thought of this before, but a Q in the pricing thread put it into my mind: After GMK bought the machining for cherry profile keycaps, do Cherry keyboards still use the same caps? Do they buy them from GMK, or did they buy new machines with a different profile?

They buy their caps from somewhere else. Not from GMK. The last two boards they came out with, the Cherry 3.0 and 6.0, had Devlin caps.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15499 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 09:55:11 »
Can I get some of those old style stabilizers anywhere? I assume I can't use them with a plate?