Author Topic: [Oddforge] VE.A  (Read 235962 times)

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
Re: [Oddforge] VE.A
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 10:04:08 »
This might be a really dumb question, but with a custom plate, would it be possible to mod the PCB (by jumping traces etc.) to combine the 2.75x space bar and a 1.25x modifier to accommodate a 4x SA spacebar? Same with the 2x space and 1x FN key to have a 3x spacebar.

Not sure why you would mod the PCB for this.  The board is fully programmable so you would just set one of the two switches to [null] and the other to [space].  The problems would come in modding your 4u cap to fit across both switches (and stabilizers, if you choose) and then getting used to the strange feeling.  I've never used a key that spanned 2 switches but at least one person (in the other thread) has said it does work.  Without the stabilizer wire it's impossible for both switches to actuate precisely at the same time, so the key would likely feel a little wobbly depending on where and how you're hitting it.  Personally, it sounds like not a very good idea.

I took a look at a picture of the board - there aren't any additional holes in the PCB to support those key sizes.
Either it's the double key thing - not wild about it either - or drilling your own hole for the 4u key and jumping the traces.  If this were a $40 GH60 - sure, but a $500 Korean custom?

It's getting hold of 2.5u, 3u and 4u keys which is the real issue and I expect the driving reason for the bottom row layout. 

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 01:05:18 »
This might be a really dumb question, but with a custom plate, would it be possible to mod the PCB (by jumping traces etc.) to combine the 2.75x space bar and a 1.25x modifier to accommodate a 4x SA spacebar? Same with the 2x space and 1x FN key to have a 3x spacebar.

Not sure why you would mod the PCB for this.  The board is fully programmable so you would just set one of the two switches to [null] and the other to [space].  The problems would come in modding your 4u cap to fit across both switches (and stabilizers, if you choose) and then getting used to the strange feeling.  I've never used a key that spanned 2 switches but at least one person (in the other thread) has said it does work.  Without the stabilizer wire it's impossible for both switches to actuate precisely at the same time, so the key would likely feel a little wobbly depending on where and how you're hitting it.  Personally, it sounds like not a very good idea.

I took a look at a picture of the board - there aren't any additional holes in the PCB to support those key sizes.
Either it's the double key thing - not wild about it either - or drilling your own hole for the 4u key and jumping the traces.  If this were a $40 GH60 - sure, but a $500 Korean custom?

It's getting hold of 2.5u, 3u and 4u keys which is the real issue and I expect the driving reason for the bottom row layout.

OK, guys.

This is custom keyboard kit.
Which means, do what you want to do on this kit is just on you.
As a designer of VE.A, I do not suggest modify PCB in that way, even if you succeeded modify PCB, you havo to modify(or produce) plate also.
But as a custom enthusiast? HELL YES, PLEASE DO THAT! That sound awesome!

And this is just a question, is there such bottom key(3x you say?) on market?
VE.A's layout is designed for standard ANSI layout keysets coverage.
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Vergo type.T / alpetit / alpetit II / VE.A with Vergo type.T-II

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 03:17:50 »

More
More

OK, guys.

This is custom keyboard kit.
Which means, do what you want to do on this kit is just on you.
As a designer of VE.A, I do not suggest modify PCB in that way, even if you succeeded modify PCB, you havo to modify(or produce) plate also.
But as a custom enthusiast? HELL YES, PLEASE DO THAT! That sound awesome!

And this is just a question, is there such bottom key(3x you say?) on market?
VE.A's layout is designed for standard ANSI layout keysets coverage.

Am planning on pairing this board with The Amazing Chocolatier SA keycap set, and saw it planned to offer 2x, 3x, and 4x spacebars like Modern Selectric did.
Was just a thought guys, I don't have the balls to go try it on this tier of keyboard :'(

But I am going to fabricate a custom case to go with that extra PCB, so plate-mounted stabs with custom bent wire wouldn't have been out the question...

I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Data

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 08:48:29 »

I think of all the parts in this keyboard the PCB is the very last one you'd want to mod. But what you described should technically be possible, if also incredibly risky. It's a novel idea anyway.

Offline rcordeau

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 11:51:28 »
Sorry to post here, but I thought I'd at least try.  I got in on the drop, but due to credit card number theft, the purchase was declined.  So I missed out on the drop and Massdrop couldn't accommodate adding me back.  So, might there be any way to get one of these keyboards?  Any extras being built for "just in case"?

Thanks,
Rob

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 13:19:13 »

I think of all the parts in this keyboard the PCB is the very last one you'd want to mod. But what you described should technically be possible, if also incredibly risky. It's a novel idea anyway.

Yup, there's a fine line between brave and stupid. 

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 21:12:54 »
Sorry to post here, but I thought I'd at least try.  I got in on the drop, but due to credit card number theft, the purchase was declined.  So I missed out on the drop and Massdrop couldn't accommodate adding me back.  So, might there be any way to get one of these keyboards?  Any extras being built for "just in case"?

Thanks,
Rob

Sorry to hear that.
Unfortunately there's nothing I can to right now.
There will be some leftovers after GB ends, I'll sell those at kbdlab market.
Maybe you can join then, but I cannot guarantee since it's really limited quantity (11~12).
Hope you can fix it up.
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 21:36:37 »

It's like my motto.
"I'm brave cause I'm stupid."

Under that motto,
I was stupid that I built a hand wired keyboard. (... was fun, but NO MORE)

So, I learned how to draw PCB.

I learned how to draw acrylic case.

I learned how to draw aluminium case.
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 22:48:08 »
my hero

Offline Marshal

• Formerly dranzer889
  • Kō Caps
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 00:53:16 »
I wish I had the money for this. It's absolutely stunning :thumb:

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 06:45:23 »

It's like my motto.

Under that motto,
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That was a really informative set of pics - thank you.
I'm really impressed with how you prototyped the first one in the series - I need to learn how to do that.
On a similar note, what's your preferred protocol for connecting the two halves? SPI?

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 10:54:20 »
That's a truly inspiring sequence of photos. Thanks for sharing that.

In other, tenuously related news, does anyone know of a custom SATA cable maker? I may have missed it, but didn't see any in the artisan section, and Google was less than helpful.

Offline Vypr

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 12:58:30 »

In other, tenuously related news, does anyone know of a custom SATA cable maker? I may have missed it, but didn't see any in the artisan section, and Google was less than helpful.

Pexon's store page has a listing for SATA cables under the PC cables section
http://pexonpcs.co.uk/products/sata-3-6gbps-data-cables?variant=839012899
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 June 2016, 13:28:31 by Vypr »
current keyboard: VE.A (home) WhiteFox TrueFox (home)  MD1 Infinity (Home)  Infinity Ergodox (work)
future keyboards:

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 05:02:07 »

It's like my motto.

Under that motto,
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That was a really informative set of pics - thank you.
I'm really impressed with how you prototyped the first one in the series - I need to learn how to do that.
On a similar note, what's your preferred protocol for connecting the two halves? SPI?

It's TWI. As known as I2C.
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 05:03:29 »

Surf for PC customizing communities. They uses awesome cables.
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline krisst

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 01:22:33 »
Ordered and received one SATA 3.0 cable from aliexpress, cost 4 bucks with shipping. 18 inches. Purple sleeved with black and gold connector. Sadly, I just checked, the product is no longer available.

Link to the product page http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Purple-Sleeved-18-inch-Premium-6Gb-s-SATA3-DATA-cable-w-Gold-Plated-latch-Locking-for/32667583249.html

« Last Edit: Mon, 27 June 2016, 01:24:07 by krisst »

Offline Data

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 07:28:09 »
Dude... nice.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 09:22:00 »
Pexon has sleeved SATA cables for those interested.

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 23:34:47 »
Ordered and received one SATA 3.0 cable from aliexpress, cost 4 bucks with shipping. 18 inches. Purple sleeved with black and gold connector. Sadly, I just checked, the product is no longer available.

Link to the product page http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Purple-Sleeved-18-inch-Premium-6Gb-s-SATA3-DATA-cable-w-Gold-Plated-latch-Locking-for/32667583249.html

Show Image

N w i c e!
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 23:41:24 »
Announcement from oddforge

All in-switch LED's resistors will be pre-soldered with 910ohm.
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline Data

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 07:46:53 »

Seems high.  That would bring white LEDs down to around 2mA current and red LEDs down to around 3.5mA.  That's only 10-18% of the LED's rated output.  I hope that's bright enough to even bother.   :-X

Offline Jaceun

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 11:55:08 »

I have a noob question, since I'm starting to gather materials for this build and I've never assembled a keyboard before.

Will we be able to toggle the in-switch LEDs on/off, or adjust their brightness, that sort of thing? That will help me decide if I'm going to include them in my build.

In any case, the pre-soldering is blessing to noobs like me - Thanks Zefyr!
Leopold FC660M | MX Blues

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 23:25:09 »

Seems high.  That would bring white LEDs down to around 2mA current and red LEDs down to around 3.5mA.  That's only 10-18% of the LED's rated output.  I hope that's bright enough to even bother.   :-X

Agreed, it's high resistor. We tested with several resistors and 910 was stable for any settings.
With RGB LEDs on, brightness will be reduced automatically by firmware.
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 18:38:57 »
Hi Vermillion!

I had a couple questions I couldn't find information on. I haven't seen any pictures of the underside of the keyboard, and was curious what it looked like. But I really wanted to know if this keyboard supports additional screw-on feet? (specifically the ones avail on massdrop) I've only seen pictures of the keyboard laying flat (without the tent)

Massdrop link: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/anodized-cnc-aluminum-cone-feet

Also is a SATA 3 cable required to join the two halves? I'm assuming SATA 2 is fine since there is no mention of 3.

Thanks! excited to see this board in the mail :D

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 23:39:44 »
Hi Vermillion!

I had a couple questions I couldn't find information on. I haven't seen any pictures of the underside of the keyboard, and was curious what it looked like. But I really wanted to know if this keyboard supports additional screw-on feet? (specifically the ones avail on massdrop) I've only seen pictures of the keyboard laying flat (without the tent)

Also is a SATA 3 cable required to join the two halves? I'm assuming SATA 2 is fine since there is no mention of 3.

There is no hole for screw under bottom side. If you want to attach it, you have to use double-sided tape or glue, (or drill)
And any SATA cable will works.
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 11:34:09 »
Hi Vermillion!

There is no hole for screw under bottom side. If you want to attach it, you have to use double-sided tape or glue, (or drill)
And any SATA cable will works.

Thanks!!

Offline krisst

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 02:39:06 »
Good news for anyone looking to get the Purple sleeved SATA cable I posted before. It is back in stock it seems.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Purple-Sleeved-18-inch-Premium-6Gb-s-SATA3-DATA-cable-w-Gold-Plated-latch-Locking-for/32667583249.html

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 01:49:38 »

As Massdrop announcement today, VE.A's schedule is delayed.

We found noticible scratches at final quality check.
This is very painful but we decided to go for re-production.
It will take another month. So shipping will be delayed for a while.
We will update process more often from now.

You can see detailes at massdrop.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ve-a/talk/474880

We have no words to make this better, instead say something we will work harder.
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 02:05:08 »

We have no words to make this better, instead say something we will work harder.

Great attitude! I don't mind waiting at all! Appreciate that you guys actually paying attention to the details, even its a large amount of orders.
Thanks for ensuring us the buyers get the top notch final product! Respect  :thumb:
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 03:25:43 »

possible to buy scratched units as b-stock?
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 05:53:04 »

I appreciate the care you're taking to ensure we get a top notch product and the tough choice you had to make.
All good man.  All good.

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 10:47:11 »

Would like to know this as well  :thumb:

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 13:05:33 »

Me three.
I ordered silver with the intent of re-anodizing, so definitely interested.

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 18:32:03 »

Same question. Willing to pay pretty much retail (unless the damage is actually SIGNIFICANT) for b-stock. Let us know.

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 21:22:26 »
Since the drop is being delayed is it possible to add more orders?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Jedi

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 23:00:47 »

Also interested in purchasing one of the scratched cases.  If available, please PM.

Offline Data

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 06:28:03 »
Since the drop is being delayed is it possible to add more orders?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Production is delayed.

The drop is over.

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 08:42:50 »

Me three.
I ordered silver with the intent of re-anodizing, so definitely interested.

me four.
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 20:06:52 »
Interested in B-Stock too (just casing)~!

Offline shangrila500

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 20:38:31 »
Quick question.

I was just looking over the VE.A build guide posted on Oddforge and was fine until I got to "C. In-Switch LED Assembly" step 3. I have never dealt with selecting the Lock LED mode, haven't even heard of it. Can anyone explain what it is and what the proper way to set it up is? I will have in switch LEDs and the switches will be SIP socketed so I can change the LEDs when the mood strikes.

Would the Full-LED mode be all in-switch LEDs lit at all times? If so what is Lock-LED mode?

In case someone doesn't understand my question or needs more info the VE.A assembly guide is here and the part I am having trouble grasping is part C, step 3.

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 20:56:15 »
Quick question.

I was just looking over the VE.A build guide posted on Oddforge and was fine until I got to "C. In-Switch LED Assembly" step 3. I have never dealt with selecting the Lock LED mode, haven't even heard of it. Can anyone explain what it is and what the proper way to set it up is? I will have in switch LEDs and the switches will be SIP socketed so I can change the LEDs when the mood strikes.

Would the Full-LED mode be all in-switch LEDs lit at all times? If so what is Lock-LED mode?

In case someone doesn't understand my question or needs more info the VE.A assembly guide is here and the part I am having trouble grasping is part C, step 3.

those 2 are for scroll lock and numlock indicators. If you connect the F and middle, it will be a full LED on that in switch LED (acts like any other switch LED). If you connect the L and the middle, it will be a lock LED for that one (ie, numlock and scroll lock indicators).

But I don't know why those keys has this functionality, when there are indicator LEDs already on the pcb as circled in red:

Maybe you can use the 3 Lock LEDs I indicated as FN layer indicators instead, and use those 2 as Num/Scr Lock... but I didn't do that with my build :)

Offline shangrila500

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 21:05:30 »
Quick question.

those 2 are for scroll lock and numlock indicators. If you connect the F and middle, it will be a full LED on that in switch LED (acts like any other switch LED). If you connect the L and the middle, it will be a lock LED for that one (ie, numlock and scroll lock indicators).

But I don't know why those keys has this functionality, when there are indicator LEDs already on the pcb as circled in red:
Show Image

Maybe you can use the 3 Lock LEDs I indicated as FN layer indicators instead, and use those 2 as Num/Scr Lock... but I didn't do that with my build :)

Ahhhh, ok. That makes sense. Thank you for the answer. Maybe ZeFyr will have the time to explain why those are there since the PCB already has indicator LEDs......

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 00:24:20 »
Quick question.

Show Image

Ahhhh, ok. That makes sense. Thank you for the answer. Maybe ZeFyr will have the time to explain why those are there since the PCB already has indicator LEDs......

Not a fancy reason :)
It's for custom case builders option. But I didn't published reference case design, there's no custom(custom over custom haha) case yet.
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline shangrila500

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 00:51:21 »
Quick question.

Show Image

It's for custom case builders option. But I didn't published reference case design, there's no custom(custom over custom haha) case yet.

Ahh, ok. So they don't have to be used then? Like the Massdrop kit wouldn't need those messed with?

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 01:53:10 »
Quick question.

Show Image

Ahh, ok. So they don't have to be used then? Like the Massdrop kit wouldn't need those messed with?

You probably want to set it with F.
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline Ryukuxyz

• VE.A!!!
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 20:48:14 »
Quick question.

Show Image

You probably want to set it with F.

So if the PCB already has indicator lights, do we need to do solder in the Lock LEDs at all? http://oddforge.com/product/vea_assembly Step B2 here.

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 00:30:22 »
The only pre-soldered LEDs are the RGB LEDs and they don't indicate lock status.

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 04:12:47 »
So if the PCB already has indicator lights, do we need to do solder in the Lock LEDs at all? http://oddforge.com/product/vea_assembly Step B2 here.

I don't understand what is your question.
In my head, indicator lights = Lock LEDs.

So, I'm gonna reply in general.

No Normal LED is pre-soldered. Only 18 RGB LED will be pre-soldered.
You should solder indicator(Lock) LEDs and all in-switch LEDs.
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline Data

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 09:50:19 »
If you use the individual lock indicator LEDs in the upper left corner of the board then you do NOT need to jumper for "lock-type" on the in-switch LEDs unless you want both for some strange reason.

In-switch LOCK behavior has the LED normally off and it only turns on when the indicated lock type is engaged.  So for Caps Lock the LED sits off until you engage Caps Lock, at which time the LED turns on -- this is how any normal in-switch lock indicator works.  Why would someone want this?  Mainly if they have WINDOWED key caps for the lock keys.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 16:25:55 »
any update on this yet?