Author Topic: Changing alps from white to X  (Read 1522 times)

Offline aquapura

Changing alps from white to X
« on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 02:19:05 »
Is it possible to replace a keyboard with white alps switches entirely to another color alps switch? I opened up and saw you can take the switch out, But are the other alps switches completely compatible. In other words say i wanted to replace all my white switches with a click blue (assuming i could ever find those) would i just take all the white out and put in the blue or is it more complicated? Sorry for the newbie question

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
Re: Changing alps from white to X
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 03:31:16 »
It's totally possible, all SKCM/SKCL or Simplified switches should be electrically compatible with eachother, this also includes Matias. It's as simple as just popping out the old ones and soldering the new ones in.

Offline aquapura

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 04:24:24 »
Cool :D

Offline aquapura

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 08:42:18 »
Oh wow i didn't know I could swap in new matias switches that's pretty cool....

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 08:55:20 »
Matias and Alps are only one-way compatible, though. IIRC Matias parts fit in Alps but not the other way around.

Also not EVERY combination of Alps parts works, but most do :) . The modular nature of Alps is one of their advantages though :) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline aquapura

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 08:59:19 »
Thanks Chyros, what's your person view on them in comparison to the original white alps? Which do you prefer ?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 11:40:14 »
Thanks Chyros, what's your person view on them in comparison to the original white alps? Which do you prefer ?
I don't own a Matias board, just a few loose switches, so I couldn't give a proper answer to that. The general view is, which as far as my Matias tester goes, I agree with, is that Matias switches are more tactile, but Alps are somewhat more satisfying. There's virtually no contest about the typing sound, though - Alps switches sound much better.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 15:31:10 »
Matias and Alps are only one-way compatible, though. IIRC Matias parts fit in Alps but not the other way around.

Also not EVERY combination of Alps parts works, but most do :) . The modular nature of Alps is one of their advantages though :) .
I found that a spring from an SKCM White switch will work on a Matias switch.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 19:13:36 »
This is probably my next project.

I have an Omnikey 101 in decent shape but I want to populate it with a nice set of orange Alps. So instead of de-soldering all the switches, I plan to leave them in place and pull the guts out of the switch bodies, and replace them with orange internals that I have thoroughly cleaned and inspected.

My mental debate is whether and how and with what I might lubricate them.
I am leaning towards a dry Teflon that sprays on but dries to a very thin residue.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 19:26:15 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:16:52 by alienman82 »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 19:28:29 »
I have a question too.  anyway to put an SKCM stem in an SKCL housing?  I need a couple for Lock LEDs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeh you just cant have a click leaf of course