Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3496905 times)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #16300 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 14:24:18 »
Is "standard" size for Tab 1.5u?

yes

Offline Sick Robotron

Focus FK-2001 Replacement Case?
« Reply #16301 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 09:14:45 »
Hi guys- I recently purchased a Focus FK-2001. It turned out to have Alps SKCM White Pine switches. I cleaned out all of the switch housings and restored clickiness and tactility to the switches. The keyboard feels pretty good now, but the sound is rather horrendous (sounds like I am typing on lego pieces soldered to a garbage can). I believe this is caused by the shoddy plastic case (and maybe the keycaps? though they are double shot ABS). Anyone know of a good candidate for a transfer case? Could really use the advice of anyone who has more experience with these boards :)!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: Focus FK-2001 Replacement Case?
« Reply #16302 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 15:56:33 »
Hi guys- I recently purchased a Focus FK-2001. It turned out to have Alps SKCM White Pine switches. I cleaned out all of the switch housings and restored clickiness and tactility to the switches. The keyboard feels pretty good now, but the sound is rather horrendous (sounds like I am typing on lego pieces soldered to a garbage can). I believe this is caused by the shoddy plastic case (and maybe the keycaps? though they are double shot ABS). Anyone know of a good candidate for a transfer case? Could really use the advice of anyone who has more experience with these boards :)!

There are so many Alps cases that are all so slightly different that I'd put money on one not existing.

Keycap material shouldn't change the sound too much. The thickness does. Although I can't think of any thick Alps caps.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #16303 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 17:03:34 »
Is there any source to get standard GMK L9 blank 2.25 and 2.75 keys?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #16304 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 17:10:04 »

No but you could buy a GMK 9009 R2 spacebar kit.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #16305 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 17:23:03 »

Is there any source for it? Or you meant to get it in the classifieds? I explored some places that reported it out of stock. I think I could wait for Wodam's upcoming split kit, whenever it happens. I will also add them in my wanted list to see if someone that got the 9009 R2 do not use them.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #16306 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 17:24:41 »

Is there any source for it? Or you meant to get it in the classifieds? I explored some places that reported it out of stock. I think I could wait for Wodam's upcoming split kit, whenever it happens. I will also add them in my wanted list to see if someone that got the 9009 R2 do not use them.

Believe everywhere sold out, so classified/mechmarket it is.

Got a link to Wodan's kit?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #16307 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 17:27:19 »

Believe everywhere sold out, so classified/mechmarket it is.

Got a link to Wodan's kit?

https://deskthority.net/group-buys-f50/hadapter-kit-round-ii-t14441.html

It is still a plan; but, Wodan's trustable guy, so I am sure it may happen at some point.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #16308 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 17:17:38 »
who does low/no MOQ dyesub novelties these days?
I love Elzy

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #16309 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 11:47:42 »
who does low/no MOQ dyesub novelties these days?
I was told to ask u/dartdart but I'm yet to make a deal with the gentleman 'cause he's currently out of the keycaps profile and base colour that I'm after.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #16310 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 16:21:44 »
I want to swap the sliders on my 87u with NT sliders, but the housing and slider for the left control is a different shape to accommodate the LED.
Can I just desolder that led and dremel the plate to fit a standard NT housing and slider?

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #16311 on: Sat, 26 May 2018, 05:47:08 »
I want to swap the sliders on my 87u with NT sliders, but the housing and slider for the left control is a different shape to accommodate the LED.
Can I just desolder that led and dremel the plate to fit a standard NT housing and slider?

don't think you even need to desolder the LED, just dremel the plate

there's a few people on gh and /r/mk that have done this

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #16312 on: Sat, 26 May 2018, 06:19:05 »

don't think you even need to desolder the LED, just dremel the plate

there's a few people on gh and /r/mk that have done this

Success.
I needed to remove the LED too.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 May 2018, 20:41:05 by MajorKoos »

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #16313 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 15:04:22 »
Anyone know how to take a Model F apart from the IBM 5155?
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Sick Robotron

M0110a layout modification
« Reply #16314 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 00:24:59 »
Hi guys -I am trying to modify the layout on my M0110a with Hasu's converter. I used the browser tool to create the .hex file, and installed Atmel Flip. I navigate to device selection and choose ATmega32u2, but When I "select a communication medium" and choose "USB", Atmel returns this error: "AtLibUsbDfu.dll not found". I'm sure this is a newbie question!! Thanks!

Offline MajorKoos

Re: M0110a layout modification
« Reply #16315 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 09:31:28 »
Hi guys -I am trying to modify the layout on my M0110a with Hasu's converter. I used the browser tool to create the .hex file, and installed Atmel Flip. I navigate to device selection and choose ATmega32u2, but When I "select a communication medium" and choose "USB", Atmel returns this error: "AtLibUsbDfu.dll not found". I'm sure this is a newbie question!! Thanks!

Try installing the driver in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Flip 3.4.7\usb"
Right click --> install on the .inf file.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #16316 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 12:42:43 »
Anyone know the weight of just one Alps switch? I have a sensitive scale, but even my scale isn't accurate down to tenths of a gram.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #16317 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 00:04:29 »
Anyone know the weight of just one Alps switch? I have a sensitive scale, but even my scale isn't accurate down to tenths of a gram.

I don't know the weight, but if you want it that precise, might it vary between complicated and simplified alps? Would it work for your purposes to get an estimate by weighing a group of 10 or 20 switches and taking the average?
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Kilgarah

« Reply #16318 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 09:54:04 »
It's tough to give a weight of an Alps switch in the standard sense. The "weight" of an SKCM Alps switch is often not dependant on the spring, but rather on the stiffness of the tactile leaf. SKCL switches, however, should be measurable by spring weight.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #16319 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:48:21 »
It's tough to give a weight of an Alps switch in the standard sense. The "weight" of an SKCM Alps switch is often not dependant on the spring, but rather on the stiffness of the tactile leaf. SKCL switches, however, should be measurable by spring weight.

I'm not talking about spring weight.

Offline Kilgarah

« Reply #16320 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:52:16 »

I'm not talking about spring weight.
Then what exactly are you talking about? Actuation force? Bottom out force? You asked about weight, which is generally associated with springs, not tactile leaves.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #16321 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:53:34 »
Then what exactly are you talking about? Actuation force? Bottom out force? You asked about weight, which is generally associated with springs, not tactile leaves.

No, I'm talking about how much mass any given Alps switch has. Not talking about force, springs, leaves, or anything. Just physical weight.

Offline Kilgarah

« Reply #16322 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:54:56 »

No, I'm talking about how much mass any given Alps switch has. Not talking about force, springs, leaves, or anything. Just physical weight.
Ah, I see. My bad. I misunderstood. Can I ask why you want that particular metric?

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #16323 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 14:28:39 »
Ah, I see. My bad. I misunderstood. Can I ask why you want that particular metric?

I'm currently running a group buy for over 7000 switches (which I still have to sort). It would be nice to get invoices sent out now, instead of after sorting all of them and then having to wait for a response.

Offline MonsterZero

« Reply #16324 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 04:33:53 »
what to lube plastic stab sliders with if i dont have teflon grease?
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #16325 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 06:34:24 »

I mean Dielectric grease is easy to find and generally a good choice for stabs. Cheap too.

Offline MonsterZero

« Reply #16326 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 07:24:38 »

I mean Dielectric grease is easy to find and generally a good choice for stabs. Cheap too.

already have that for wire-on-plastic

are you saying i should use di-grease on plastic-on-plastic parts also?
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Offline Potatoes

« Reply #16327 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 16:41:46 »
Trying to install qmk on a tada68 and I've been following this tutorial.

I'm just on the QMK firmware installation portion. "1. Download the qmk_firmware-master.zip file here:", part. Right at the top.

So I'm on step 7 and at the end of the installation it's asking me...

Which USb dirvers do you want to install?

(a)all - all supported rivers will be installed
(c)onneced - Only divers for connected keyboards (in bootloader/flashing mode) will be installed
(f)force - Like all, but will also override existing drivers for connected keyboards
(n)one - No dirvers will be installed, flashing your keyboard will most likely not work.

(ac/f/n)?

Which am I supposed to choose?

I went with A lol. Guessed
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 June 2018, 18:39:51 by Potatoes »

Offline Plstic

« Reply #16328 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 00:14:10 »
What are some nkro or 6kro keyboards that have alps switches? I know the ominikeys  but they're way too expensive. My focus 2000 is not cutting it with only 2kro.

Offline ROBINKA486

« Reply #16329 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 15:56:10 »
hi, simple question, mechanical or not? i only have 2 pictures, i wanna buy it.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #16330 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 08:22:19 »
It's made by SMK, so probably, but there's not much to go in those pictures.

Offline nyunyu

« Reply #16331 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 11:31:45 »
Is there any keyboard firmware for ATMega32U4 (/Teensy 2.0/Arduino Micro), which supports keyboard sending scan codes over serial interface?

Offline ROBINKA486

« Reply #16332 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 12:00:53 »
Sorry for being newbie but this one?

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #16333 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 15:25:57 »
Alps-mount rubber dome.

Offline DonutiKilla

« Reply #16334 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 10:11:55 »
Has anyone had success with programming the tada68 with QMK?

My keyboard works but  I can’t get any of the QMK features to work like esc~, ralt_T(kc), LSFT_T(kc), MO, cut, paste, etc. I’ve used both methods, qmk configuator to compile my hex and I have modified a  .h file. Both converted hex to bin with MSYS and flashed to tadad68 as FLASH.BIN . Keyboard works but not any QMK features?

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #16335 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 09:20:45 »
does anyone know what kind of process was used to make cherry switch sticker sheets? laser cut vinyl stickers?

haven't been able to find suppliers that will do cheap, custom designs, on single colour vinyl

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #16336 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 05:18:26 »
does anyone know what kind of process was used to make cherry switch sticker sheets? laser cut vinyl stickers?

haven't been able to find suppliers that will do cheap, custom designs, on single colour vinyl

Yup, laser cut vinyl stckers.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #16337 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 08:36:49 »

Switch stickers are cut from vinyl sheets with a plotter / Cutter.

From my experience a lot of places will refuse to do switch stickers tho since they are not equipped to do small detailed parts.

As far a I understand cutting small details requires an omnidirectional blade instead of a free rotating blade

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #16338 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 08:47:38 »

Switch stickers are cut from vinyl sheets with a plotter / Cutter.

From my experience a lot of places will refuse to do switch stickers tho since they are not equipped to do small detailed parts.

As far a I understand cutting small details requires an omnidirectional blade instead of a free rotating blade
what I'm thinking of is hopefully a little simpler; think of a sheet cut roughly with the same dimensions and holes as a 60% switch plate

holes themselves might be the hard part

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #16339 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 16:26:11 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 July 2018, 02:54:37 by Giorgio »

Offline Acerk

• I pay attention to details!
« Reply #16340 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 01:13:58 »
Trying to buy a Microsoft Surface Pro or -Laptop with ANSI layout in Norway.

Found a store that lists some products as English International. Is that ANSI?

Also, is there a way to find more information and possibly images using a product/model number?

FFQ-00013
DAH-00014

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #16341 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 12:25:44 »
Trying to buy a Microsoft Surface Pro or -Laptop with ANSI layout in Norway.

Found a store that lists some products as English International. Is that ANSI?

Also, is there a way to find more information and possibly images using a product/model number?

FFQ-00013
DAH-00014

From the part# for the cover (FFQ-00013) it looks like it's ANSI.
https://notebooki.pl/laptop-microsoft-surface-pro-signature-type-cover-platinum-ffq-00013-klawiatura-ffq-00013-GWARANCJA-9794.html
https://www.jacob.de/produkte/microsoft-surface-pro-signature-type-cover-ffq-00013-artnr-3728269.html

Offline Acerk

• I pay attention to details!
« Reply #16342 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 17:25:23 »
Thank you! :thumb:

I think I'll go for the Microsoft Surface Pro instead of Laptop, so I'm not tied to a keyboard.

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #16343 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 17:35:05 »
Thank you! :thumb:

I think I'll go for the Microsoft Surface Pro instead of Laptop, so I'm not tied to a keyboard.

Great choice.
The keyboard cover is useful for being both a screen protector and a usable keyboard that's really easy to get out of the way when you want to use your Bluetooth CA66 ;)

Offline YakMN

« Reply #16344 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 21:26:25 »
Anybody know what kind of computer or terminal this would have come out of? I found it in a warehouse of old computer parts. The owner doesn't remember what it might have been from. I cleaned it up a bit, and found a few things, but I can't find any images online that look like this layout.

• Key Tronic
  • Manufacture date is Feb 1978, serial # is 08754.
  • There is a wood grain veneer. I can't tell if it's factory or just somebody wanted to put that on.
  • For some reason, the springs on the numeric keypad appear to be a different strength.
  • Foam and foil

199880-0

199882-1
199884-2
199886-3
199888-4
199890-5
199892-6

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #16345 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 06:11:49 »
swill’s plate builder doesn't tell me... are the cutouts of the plate the same for both PCB mount and plate mount stabs?

Offline HokieGeek

« Reply #16346 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 07:40:19 »
I really need an enclosure for a (very likely handwired) 5x12 ortho. I welcome any suggestions.

Offline razen

« Reply #16347 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 09:10:24 »
Hello guys
I got two Dah Yang K160 with blue cherry clones,they were dead at the time i tried to use it.apparently was not the keyboards but my din5 to ps/2 adapter.
Today i purchased a new adapter, and fired some keyboards up and everything works fine.
Except my two K160, Switch is on AT mode plugging keyboard while pc off gets me all leds light up and they stay.
Pc will not recognise them as a keyboards or as hardware at all.
Can anyone help me figure their problem?

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #16348 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 01:02:00 »
Anyone have any luck with something like this https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.16.708c442aDuR22n&id=565823984744
I have a couple G81-3000 cases on the way and would love to fill at least one of them.
Is it safe to assume that even if a proxy is required something like this would be cheaper and easier than sourcing a plate, or are there G80-3000 style plates / PCBs (ideally NKRO) floating around elsewhere?

Offline Norz

« Reply #16349 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 04:58:11 »
I know you guys are too much of keyboards connoisseurs for this brand (  ;D ) but i'm looking for the new Corsair K70 Mk. 2 SE with European QWERTZ layout, and I can't seem to find it anywhere. Am I just bad at using the intertubes or you really can't find it anywhere in this version ?