Author Topic: [IC] DCS Alps Pingmaster (Closed; Fredington is creating new thread)  (Read 24838 times)

Offline FRANCO

Important Update (11/2): Due to life getting in the way (nothing bad though!), I will be closing this IC. Fredington will be picking this up soon though!

Hi Everyone!
Fredington and I teamed up again to bring you DCS Alps Pingmaster!

Like many in this hobby, I discovered Alps switches and ended up loving them. But unfortunately, there isn’t that much choice for Alps lovers when it comes to keycaps. It seems like the only choices are Tai Hoa sets (but dolch is always out of stock), the sets from those two GBs from back in the 2010’s, or a yellowed vintage set. And good luck finding a set with a 1u Zero keycap for the numpad. Honestly, as a fan of Alps switches, I kind of just want a new keycap set haha

A few key things about this set:
  • The set is PBT with Dye-sublimated legends
  • We went the PBT route since Alps keycaps in Doubleshot ABS tend to have an issue of very fragile stems, and SP informed us that because the PBT Alps keycaps are single shot molded, fragile stems shouldn’t be an issue
  • The longer spacebars (6u, 6.25u, 6.5u, 7u) will be in ABS as the PBT spacebar is known to warp pretty badly
  • The set was inspired by the IBM Pingmaster because I’ve always liked the Japanese Alps keycaps.
  • (UPDATE: 7/28) We have gone back to one base kit; this time, with both text and icon modifiers, to be more faithful to the Pingmaster keyboard, incorporating elements from both the Japanese and Chinese variants
  • (UPDATE: 7/28) We included full compatibility for JIS layouts
  • All Modifiers will have MX mounts for stabilizers

If you are interested in this set, please fill out this form here! There also may be a question regarding future sets ;)

Kits:

Base Kit

After even more deliberation, we felt it was best to make the set more faithful to the Pingmaster, but incorporating both text and icon modifiers into the base kit, using inspiration from both theChinese and Japanese variants
The legends have also been changed to more accurately reflect the Pingmaster legends. Specifically, we moved the English legends from the top left, to the bottom left

JIS

Offers full JIS layout compatibility; accents included

Numpad

We initially wanted the base kit to include everything, but due to the legends, it got a bit pricey. So we split out the Numpad to make it a bit more affordable.

Split Spacebars

We added a Split Spacebar kit for more compatibility with various layouts. Please note which spacebars are marked as ABS

Other Considerations:
  • We wanted to include relgendables in the GB, but they only offer them in a couple of PBT colors. And because the tooling was made for ABS, the PBT tends to shrink
  • We really wanted to try to include a Big Ass Enter, but unfortunately, it's just not possible right now

Standard SP Color Codes:
  • Alphas: GKK
  • ABS Spacebars: Color matched to GKK (in the event that we can’t color match, this will be GSL)
  • Modifiers: GDE
  • Blue Accents: BFD
  • Pink Accents: RCA

Special Acknowledgements:
  • Thank you again to Fredington for creating the fonts, kits, and just being a pleasure to work with
  • Thank you to kidviddy and konstantin for helping Fredington with the new text and icon modifiers
  • Thanks to ai03 for giving us his blessing. It was genuinely a mistake that this set looks like his SimpleJA keycap set; we honestly forgot that he had already created a PBT set with Katakana sublegends

To-do’s:
  • Gather feedback
  • Possible polling
  • Finalize kits
  • Finalize colors
  • Vendors (currently reaching out)
  • Pricing (in progress)
  • Renders (in progress)
  • GB Date

Changelog
  • 7/28/20
    Revised modifiers to both text and icon to be more in line with Japanese and Chinese Pingmaster variants
    Revised kits from separate Alphas and modifiers, back to one Base Kit
    Added full JIS layout support
    Finalized color codes
  • 7/4/20
    Revised legends so English Alphas sit on the bottom left, being more in line with the Pingmaster's legends
    Broke out Alphas, Icon Mods, and Katakana Mods
    Unfortunately, had to remove the BAE kit
  • 6/25/20
    Added Icon Modifiers Kit
    Broke out accents to be combined in other sets
    Included standard accents in Base Kit
    Included Icon BAE keys with accents in BAE Kit
    Broke out ISO into its own kit, and included accents and Icon ISO Enter Keys with accents
    Added Split Spacebars Kit (note: Similar to the base kit, the longer 6u and 6.5u spacebars will be made in ABS)
  • 6/19/20
    Confirmed that the spacebars will be ABS
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 November 2020, 18:08:11 by FRANCO »

Offline Ulliam

• Formerly Papithered
  • 𝖚𝖑𝖑𝖎.𝖆𝖒
Re: [IC] DCS Alps Pingmaster
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 11:57:28 »
You had me at DCS but hit damn. Amazing looking set sign me up for 5

Offline xIHA

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 11:58:24 »
Yes!~ More alps keysets please!!!
Jane v2 | OTD 456gt | LZ Physix | xIHEx (One off comission) | Duck kingsaver | G80-1838HPU

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 11:58:35 »
Cool! I love this set, but I wish it was SA PBT or MT3. Also, BAE! WHAT?!   :eek: :D  :thumb:

Renders please

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 12:05:51 »
Very interested in this, already filled the form.
BTW, you should change the first question of the form, since it will only let you choose one option, you should use checkboxes.

Offline Capsy

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 12:07:46 »
DCS PBT. Sign me up.

Offline qriousgabriel

• aka. gabrlyg
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 12:13:14 »
You run it and I’ll join, that simple.
HHKB | OTD DGE | FC660C | Realforce | Kaze
WTB Topre Clacks

Offline mrkevint

• OK.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 12:14:31 »
I'm definitely interested. I filled out the form.

I have a Blue Alps TKL that is begging for these key caps haha. SimpleJA is one of my favourite sets.

Offline Shadohhh

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 12:51:54 »
Filled out the form. Hopefully this makes it past IC. I haven't seen SP dye subs quality in awhile. Hopefully it's still decent.

Offline gnhuy91

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 13:05:26 »
yas!

Offline Gert Fischer

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 13:30:50 »
renders when?

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 13:57:24 »
renders when?

The problem with renders of DCS is that nobody actually has bothered to make DCS models, so they end up using cherry models, which is not exactly the same thing and could be potentially misleading. Not saying that renders are off the table completely, but just wanted to set expectations.

Offline Beni986

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 13:58:16 »
Definitely interested in this :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 October 2020, 12:18:43 by Beni986 »
Noxary T60 | LZ CLSm

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 14:13:40 »
Good ****.

Offline FRANCO

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 15:17:57 »
Very interested in this, already filled the form.
BTW, you should change the first question of the form, since it will only let you choose one option, you should use checkboxes.

Thank you for pointing out! Changed it a bit after you posted =)

Offline J3ff_Leopard

• Wishlist
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 15:30:52 »
Absolutely yes. I have 3 Alps builds planned for the future so any custom caps with wider compatibility would be great. Love seeing this and I'll keep an eye on the thread.
WTB Resin Cast Click Clack Leaf

Offline ilikerustoo

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 16:10:36 »
Interested for sure

Offline bibobim

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 16:32:30 »
Ah yes. PBT and dye-sub caps for my lovely alps

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 16:58:25 »
Always need more Alps caps.

Offline stickerliu

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 20:49:41 »
need more alps caps too!

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 21:25:12 »
hi, yes

Offline Pluto19

• All who break the taboo will be eliminated.
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 01:28:59 »
I would love to see the inclusion of the ISO keys in the Base kit instead of the Numpad kit.
Also ~ would love to see the removal of one row 4 1.25u shift as you have one in both the Base kit as well as the Numpad kit.

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 06:09:34 »
Any chance of Alice spacebars being added to one of the kits? I want to do an alps build of my PhysiX at some point

Offline FZ

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 08:43:00 »
Happy to see this and I think the colorway was a good choice. I echo the thoughts of others regarding DCS as the profile for it. Personally I'd like to see this with the KAT sculpt. Actually, ideally, I'd like to see an Alps set with the Apple IIc profile but I think that is a bit of a niche request currently.

Good luck with it. I will definitely be looking forward to the group buy for this.

Offline kakan

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 08:45:55 »
I'm very interested, good luck with running it.

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 09:24:29 »
Very interested, which stabs are you going to use for this set?

Offline dallman5

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 09:40:19 »
Nice looking set! Any change for an icon mod option? Some pingmasters did have icon mods after all  ;D
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline zrrion

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 09:47:04 »

this and what stabilizer does the BAE use? I'm contractually obligated to join any gb with a BAE but only if it uses a reasonable stabilizer. If it uses alps stabilizers and a rod or dummy switch for the top of the BAE then it would actually be compatible with the things I want to put it on.

Offline segami

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 11:22:19 »
I'm in.

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 13:34:41 »
Definitely interested! These caps actually remind me more of the Japanese IBM P70 keycaps or the IBM JX keycaps (but with katakana instead of hiragana) than the pingmaster... but that makes me like the caps even more.

Offline FRANCO

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 15:45:01 »

this and what stabilizer does the BAE use? I'm contractually obligated to join any gb with a BAE but only if it uses a reasonable stabilizer. If it uses alps stabilizers and a rod or dummy switch for the top of the BAE then it would actually be compatible with the things I want to put it on.

The BAE should use MX stabilizers as I don't believe SP has the tooling necessary for Alps/Matias stabilizers

Offline Poblopuablo

Re: [IC] DCS Alps Pingmaster (6/19: Small Update - Spacebar will be in ABS)
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 09:34:16 »
Will this be compatible with lunar aek? https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96112.0

Offline Full

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 11:14:54 »
I am 100% in on this!
Hi!

Offline AuDiTH

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 11:50:35 »
Looks great, would be down for a set :thumb:
SSK | AEK64 | TX-CP | HHKB | Acrylic Pearl | Duck Orion V3 | LZ MP | Kyuu Sakura
Currently joined GBs:
GMK British Racing Green
GMK ThinkCaps
SA 8010

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 19:10:55 »

The BAE should use MX stabilizers as I don't believe SP has the tooling necessary for Alps/Matias stabilizers

This is quite sad to hear as only Alphas are really going to be usable with most Alps Customs.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 21:58:01 »
will this keyset have a center stem capslock for kingsaver compat
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dallman5

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 08:00:38 »

Why though? Kingsaver would require all new right side mods too since they’re 0.25u longer than the standard.

Also curious to know what kind of stabilizers this will be using as I’m not very familiar with SP’s PBT alps caps.
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 08:55:06 »

Why though? Kingsaver would require all new right side mods too since they’re 0.25u longer than the standard.

Also curious to know what kind of stabilizers this will be using as I’m not very familiar with SP’s PBT alps caps.

It will use MX stabs. It's been stated that SP does not have the moulds for Alps stabs.

Offline garbo

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 09:36:54 »

I figured that was a joke on the question about Lunar support, since using a set like this on either of them would be sort of missing the point of the case designs.

(The Wang caps lock stem is just the same as any other non-stepped Alps one anyway. DCS doesn't have the stab mounts but it doesn't really matter)

Offline it99

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 16:25:35 »
oh my god this is so beautiful i need this for my blue alps tkl, was gonna sla print some mx to alps adapters but i think i would much rather get this set. it would be amazing in SA or MT3 to be that much more like the pingmaster's caps (quite high profile iirc) but I'd imagine that the tooling necessary for that would cost quite a bit. any ideas of when you'd be considering running this?

Offline syke

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 05:35:31 »
nice

Offline Yahhuy212

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 09:21:33 »
Any chance for special F row keys for AEK II ?

Offline FRANCO

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 14:47:07 »

This is quite sad to hear as only Alphas are really going to be usable with most Alps Customs.

I feel you! I actually have been researching this and there are Alps to MX stab adapters. I'll try to find a link

Offline mode

Re: [IC] DCS Alps Pingmaster (6/25 Update! New Kits! Added Icon Modifiers!)
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 15:20:10 »
100% in

any chance of some more iso keys though? People who want ISO are going to pay for it if it costs a bit more and has more coverage.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 June 2020, 15:59:31 by mode »

Offline lucid211

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 17:06:50 »
 :D :D :D :D hi yes!!!

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 19:44:03 »
Easily buying two sets (including numpad, icons, and spacebars)

Offline mode

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 03:56:51 »
Also, why not have alphas in the icon kit? or even have seperate alphas, If you want alphas then you've gotta have two sets of mods, and it'd be better to have two full usable sets.

Gotta say, I think it doesn't make sense to split iso unless you add considerably more keys to the set, such a small ISO kit may as well be rolled into the main one. Again, please make ISO icon mods possible, add an icon small shift!

Offline platypusduck

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 08:19:57 »
I filled in the IC form, but I forgot to mention the following errors:

– All Enter legends seem to be spelling out "ESOTA–" instead of "ENTA–". It should be エター, not エター. The difference is subtle, but it's noticeable.

– Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Alt should be アルト, not アールト.

I'm all for new Alps keysets, but I'm going to be honest, all these silly direct translations of modifiers are getting out of hand. Trendiness aside, if good Japanese legends are what you're after, I think it kinda makes more sense to use ai03's translations, wouldn't it?
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 June 2020, 08:23:44 by platypusduck »

Offline mode

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 16:02:53 »
Also, why not have alphas in the icon kit? or even have seperate alphas, If you want the icons then you've gotta have two sets of mods, and it'd be better to have two full usable sets.

Gotta say, I think it doesn't make sense to split iso unless you add considerably more keys to the set, such a small ISO kit may as well be rolled into the main one. Again, please make ISO icon mods possible, add an icon small shift!