Author Topic: [IC] SA Recall - Pricing Released - GB Begins December 18  (Read 19457 times)

Offline Langelandia

[IC] SA Recall - Pricing Released - GB Begins December 18
« on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 08:47:32 »

Welcome to the Interest Check thread for SA Recall from me and ThatTravL.

Here is the IC Form - Please fill it out whether you're interested or not! <3

If you would like to learn about the inspiration, click MORE. Otherwise, scroll down for the keyboardy stuff.

More

Set the mood with some tunes.

The smell and feel of hot vinyl seats that have been baking in the sun all day. The static and tinny sound of the AM radio. Paul Harvey's voice and The Beach Boys in mono sound. Being crammed into the back seat, watching the road emerge from under the car. Watching dad change gears and sticking your hand out the window and making it "fly" just to pass the time.

Our childhood was filled with these memories thanks to a relatively crummy car: the Ford Pinto Station Wagon. Memories aren’t perfect, and neither was the Pinto.

Developed and released in 1971 as a strong competitor to smaller, fuel-efficient cars, this car was meant to appeal to the budget-oriented consumer. Fast-forward to 1978: after a fuel crisis and Recalls, this car got a special edition trim: The Cruising Wagon. Only 15,000 out of 10 million of these cars were made in order to appeal to the aging muscle car generation in an effort to help them Recall their youth by looking sporty...while still only managing to put out 90-100 horsepower and getting 20 to 30 miles per gallon.

To gearheads, the Pinto has been a joke with its own punchline. It’s a car that was hated and feared amongst the public and adored by only the very few. Our father was the proud owner of a ‘76 regular wagon in blue. He had used it for everything from road trips to hauling calves. He loved the Pinto so much he bought his eldest son (ThatTravL) a ’77 wagon in banana yellow.

Many years later, we've started to miss these cars, what they were, and how special they truly were to us...even if we didn't understand it as children. We also coveted the rarest of the rarest trim and the inspiration of the colors for this set. SA Recall is a celebration of our childhood. It's essentially a way for us to Recall the best memories of times gone past. We hope it helps you ask the question, "what memories do I want to Recall?"

INFO

Profile: SA
Manufacturer: Signature Plastics
Sculpt: 1-1-2-3-4-3
Legends: Double Shot
Plastic: ABS
GB dates: December 18 through January 15
Estimated Shipping to Customers: Q1 2022

COLORS

Græy
Purple
Orange
Yellow

ITEMS MARKED FOR PURCHASE

With this kitting we're hoping to put larger groups of users together and price them at a higher MOQ to drive the traditional
pricing of SA down to a more affordable level. Please provide your feedback in the IC form linked at the top and bottom of this thread.

BASE

We're hoping to accommodate the most popular layouts with this kit. TKL, 75%, 65%, and 60%.

ALTS + ISO

The idea here is to have our common 40s friends, (admittedly basic support) ISO users, and Alice/split spacebar friends help each other
with a mutually beneficial kit instead of having marginally cheaper kits with less in them.

NUMPAD

Numpad and 1800 support. Pretty straightforward.

ORTHO

Obviously the gradient is different here and in the Ergo kit below. We tried an awful lot to keep consistency of the downward and upward
angles shown in the base but ultimately decided that aesthetically this works better. Plus, it's actually still true to the inspiration
since the back stripes are horizontal on the body.

ERGO

Honestly, I'm not too familiar with ergo layouts but I love the idea of being as inclusive as possible and I haven't yet offered ergo
support for a set I've done. As with everything else, please provide any feedback in the form.

DESKMAT

PRICING

RENDERS

Here's everything in one place.

IRON180

CYPHER

ADÉLIE

ATLAS

VENDORS

-US: NovelKeys
-EU: mykeyboard.eu
-AUS: Daily Clack
-CAN: Desk[H]ero
-ASIA: zFrontier

UPDATES

3.11.2021 - Updated estimated shipping date to Q1 2022

SPECIAL THANKS TO

Our father, Merritt, who seemed to always find joy in things unappreciated or un-loved

-My poor, poor wife and children...thank you for not leaving me yet
-Shout out to the Beckums for helping me make new memories to recall
-The community for putting a smile on my face every day of the week
-Abec for patience with renders, color adjustments, kitting, and putting up with crap
-OCM for file help - you're a true G
-Chewwy, jnlybean, grindbox, and toki for feedback
-bhk, capsy, füll, lbaron, urban, and vox for continued love and support
-The GMK Yugo crew for teaching us you can make a rockin' keycap set inspired by a less-than-rockin' car
-Konstantin for the amazingly detailed information on what should be added to support more exotic layouts, specifically 40s and split spacebar boards. We may have not used all of it, but we used a LOT of it. Huge huge thank you.

MEDIA OF THE SOCIAL NATURE

-Discord
-Insta

Here is the IC Form - Please fill it out whether you're interested or not! <3

If you’d like to support the set, feel free to add this to your signature:
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108321.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/ZfLp7xG.png[/img][/url]
Thank you so much for looking through <3
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 March 2021, 11:13:39 by Langelandia »

Offline Langelandia

Re: [IC] SA Recall
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 08:49:39 »

We've made updates to the kits and are now sending off for updated quotes so we can hopefully get you some pricing soonTM.

-Added a second 2u space for ortho users who use two to not force them into buying alts kit if they don't need
-Added several keys into the Alts kit to accommodate more split spacebar layouts to keep the color continuity
-Added two 1.5u keys into the ergo kit to accommodate for boardwalk

I also wanted to address some items that came up in the IC form:

Gray is a bit too dark.
Many folks commented on this and I'm aware that this is a concern. Admittedly, when working out renders with Abec this color chose especially difficult to get right and it may actually be too dark in the renders - I will be sure to post pictures of the color matching process to assage any concerns of it being too dark. I also would dislike it coming out too dark and will choose a different gray if it comes to it.

Special layouts.
If you've asked specifically for one key, I've made sure that the row and size key exists for *physical* layout purposes. To be candid, I want to make sure this is as inexpensive as possible for people and adding keys for every layout for every kit is not how we can achieve that. I hear you, I do; I just can't make it so every person has every key they need or the set won't be viable. Some keys were chosen to be left out also because of the popularity of said layouts.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 October 2020, 09:50:59 by Langelandia »

Offline Capsy

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 09:00:18 »
*****in' and in the best profile as well.

Offline lbaron

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 09:01:34 »
Very awesome and with SP seeming to have quicker leadtimes currently than GMK I love it. Would you ever consider 1-1-2-3-4-4 like SA camping did?

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 09:03:14 »
Love me some SA.

EDIT: I feel like light purple/gray legends on the dark purple caps could look nice and improve legibility.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2020, 09:10:35 by Fredington »

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 09:03:34 »
Hell yeah

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 09:06:31 »

<3

I apparently can't call things "b * t c h i n'" so I've updated it =)

Offline parablol

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 09:08:21 »
Since your legends are all black, you might as well go with the dysub PBT SA-P. Could help lower the cost.

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 09:08:40 »
Very awesome and with SP seeming to have quicker leadtimes currently than GMK I love it. Would you ever consider 1-1-2-3-4-4 like SA camping did?

We went back and forth on the bottom row being R4 but decided against it in the end.

I do like SP's lead times currently and in speaking with them so far they're lovely and I'm excited to work with them!

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 09:09:28 »
Since your legends are all black, you might as well go with the dysub PBT SA-P. Could help lower the cost.

This is an interesting thought - I'll add a question to the form to see if there's preference one way or the other <3

Offline lbaron

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 10:24:06 »

We went back and forth on the bottom row being R4 but decided against it in the end.

I do like SP's lead times currently and in speaking with them so far they're lovely and I'm excited to work with them!

I’ve never looking into kitting and compatibility between R3 bottom row and R4 bottom row, does it add a lot of extra keys getting it to work across multiple layout? I would think R3 would require less compatibility not being sculpted or is it negligible?

Offline singabore

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 10:24:26 »
nice

Offline UggNot

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 10:27:56 »
Please include 1.5u keys for the bottom corners of the ergo layout in addition to what is already there for compatibility with boardwalk, sol, mün, etc.

Set looks good though.

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 10:36:06 »
not sure I can shout YES any louder

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 10:53:57 »

I’ve never looking into kitting and compatibility between R3 bottom row and R4 bottom row, does it add a lot of extra keys getting it to work across multiple layout? I would think R3 would require less compatibility not being sculpted or is it negligible?

It wasn't really a kitting issue for us. Sure, having two R3 rows helps some - but it's negligible at best honestly.

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 10:54:31 »
Please include 1.5u keys for the bottom corners of the ergo layout in addition to what is already there for compatibility with boardwalk, sol, mün, etc.

Set looks good though.

:thumb:

be sure to leave this in the form as well so I don't miss it and specify how many you'd be looking for <3

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 10:54:51 »
nice

I have finally given you SA, sir <3

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 10:55:14 »
not sure I can shout YES any louder

Happy to hear you enjoy it! Much <3 to you, friend.

Offline eczactly

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 12:34:23 »
I could swear to god that you and I are 80% the same person. You keep rendering and coming up with sets that I have visualized in my head over the last 12 months. I mean, even how you assign colors is almost 1 : 1.

This is a banger.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 13:56:30 »
More car-inspired sets, yes please :D

Edit:
-The GMK Yugo crew for teaching us you can make a rockin' keycap set inspired by a less-than-rockin' car

Just saw this. Big luv 💜
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2020, 14:07:41 by konstantin »

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 16:02:06 »
Hi langel. I like what you’ve got here. Very cool!

Few things:

1) The R2 1u escape key in the Alts kit is yellow. I think it’s supposed to be orange to better match your gradient on a 40%.

2) There is a purple R3 shift key in the alts kit. I don’t know if any layout which utilizes a R3 shift key. Is it supposed to be R4? (looking at my Prime_e, I’m convinced this is supposed to be R4)

3) I recommend adding a second 2u spacebar and removing the 1.75u spacebar from the alts kit. The layouts which need a 1.75u spacebar require two (not one) and aren’t very common. Whereas double 2u spacebar is way more common on ortho layouts.

4) In the base kit, you have several delete keys in different colors. Some say “delete” and at least one says “del”. What is the text you will be using here?

5) in the base kit, there is a bottom row “ANY” key. Is this intentionally “ANY” and not “ALT”? Is this some new-fangled mod text that’s catching on?
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2020, 16:10:42 by DrHigsby »

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 17:01:55 »
This is an interesting thought - I'll add a question to the form to see if there's preference one way or the other <3
While i do clearly prefer PBT, i don't know if SP have the moulds for ISO / Ergo / exotic layouts.. They didnt on their previous SA-P run, so that means either they make new ones for this set, or we lose a lot of compatibility from the set. If they manage to do it all, that would be awesome, SA PBT is fantastic.

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 22:25:57 »
Form submitted! Love all the colors, great job!

Offline dom

• XOXO
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 22:51:55 »
Coolio, super fun! I see Langelandia -> I click -> I support <3

Offline spacecables

• Space Cables
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 00:48:07 »
I'm in for this one.

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 08:41:27 »
Having experimented with all kinds of subtle ways for making people type worse (from non-obvious like swapping N/M, O/I key caps etc), I feel pretty confident this would be a pain in the arse to type on. Even as someone who doesn't look at their keyboard to type, the colours draw attention way more than normal key legends and the completely non-standard structuring of the colour blocks is going to have an impact. A mix of anecdote and speculation I know, but I still wouldn't be in for this despite how nice it might seem from a strictly aesthetic perspective.

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 06:28:18 »
I could swear to god that you and I are 80% the same person. You keep rendering and coming up with sets that I have visualized in my head over the last 12 months. I mean, even how you assign colors is almost 1 : 1.

This is a banger.

<3 much love, friend - thank you!

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 06:28:37 »
More car-inspired sets, yes please :D

Edit:

Just saw this. Big luv 💜

<3

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 06:30:28 »
Hi langel. I like what you’ve got here. Very cool!

Few things:

1) The R2 1u escape key in the Alts kit is yellow. I think it’s supposed to be orange to better match your gradient on a 40%.

2) There is a purple R3 shift key in the alts kit. I don’t know if any layout which utilizes a R3 shift key. Is it supposed to be R4? (looking at my Prime_e, I’m convinced this is supposed to be R4)

3) I recommend adding a second 2u spacebar and removing the 1.75u spacebar from the alts kit. The layouts which need a 1.75u spacebar require two (not one) and aren’t very common. Whereas double 2u spacebar is way more common on ortho layouts.

4) In the base kit, you have several delete keys in different colors. Some say “delete” and at least one says “del”. What is the text you will be using here?

5) in the base kit, there is a bottom row “ANY” key. Is this intentionally “ANY” and not “ALT”? Is this some new-fangled mod text that’s catching on?

Thank you for the feedback. I'll go through everything and make sure it's consistent for the legends. "DEL" is the SP delete legend so they should be that. I'll also look through everything else and make sure =)

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 06:31:09 »
While i do clearly prefer PBT, i don't know if SP have the moulds for ISO / Ergo / exotic layouts.. They didnt on their previous SA-P run, so that means either they make new ones for this set, or we lose a lot of compatibility from the set. If they manage to do it all, that would be awesome, SA PBT is fantastic.

Fair point. I'm not sure either, but I at least want to gauge folks' interest on it <3

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 06:31:46 »
Form submitted! Love all the colors, great job!

<3 <3 <3

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 06:32:08 »
Coolio, super fun! I see Langelandia -> I click -> I support <3

Luv you <3

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 06:32:44 »
I'm in for this one.

You're lovely - thanks for the support <3

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 07:48:33 »
Kit feedback! I'll start off by covering DrHigsby's great suggestions:

Agree.

Agree.

No need to add a second 2u to Alts. You'll notice that 2× 2u is already covered by getting Ortho + Alts. Something worth considering might be adding a second 2u to the Ortho kit, in which case ortho users won't need to get the Alt kit if they need two, but this isn't a must.

As for the second 1.75u, that's actually also already sort of covered by the purple 1.75u Shift from base. JD40, JD45, Prime-L (all the keyboards that use 2× 1.75u space) all have left 1.75u Shifts, which are græy in this set, so the purple one can be used to cover the second 1.75u space.

What this set is missing in terms of 40% support is some extra purple 1u, 1.25u and 1.5u mods. The thing is that most staggered 40% boards have small spacebars (e.g. 2.25u+2.75u), so without extra purple mods on the sides, the purple line won't make it all the way from X to .>. Here are some examples of what I mean:

KLE
Not shown: Prime_E, which also needs a second 1.25u Alt; and Prime_L, which needs 1u Alt and 1u Fn/Any.

From this I can conclude that the following purple keys should be added to the Alts kit:
  • R3 1.25u Alt — so that there are two in total: one in Base, one in Alts
  • R3 1.5u Alt — this key is also useful for 1800/CP/96-key, 65% boards w/o blockers, 50% boards such as TMO50, etc.
  • R3 1u Alt
  • R3 1u Fn or Any — ideally, both
I love to see R4 <> included, but I hate to say that, given the circumstances, it should be removed from Alts to make room for these other, more useful keys. ISO users will be able to use R4 \| in its place.
Alternatively, you can drop the ISO-UK-specific keys and keep just R3 \|, R4 <> to make room for 6u worth of extra keys in the kit. That's probably what I'd do, since, statistically, ISO-UK users only make up around 3% of all users in the community.

Other keys to consider adding to the Alts kit, in order of priority:
  • R3 1.5u Code ×2 — for Mac and OG HHKB bottom row users (second 1u Alt doesn't need to be added since there is a 1u Any), as well as for some 40% boards
  • R4 2u Shift — for 60% with arrow keys
  • You could also add Minivan support with two extra keys: R2 1.75u Backspace, R3 1.5u Return (also useful for Pearl), but it doesn't look too great imo.
  • R3 1.25u Return or Fn — for some 40% boards (UT47.2, Dimple etc.)
  • R4 1.5u Shift — for Evolv and some 40% boards (Dimple, Minivan)

Edit: more potential additions
Edit2: fix broken image link
Edit3: fix formatting
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 August 2020, 09:30:59 by konstantin »

Offline trashpanda

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 11:57:17 »
keyset called "SA Recall" that's based on  a vintage car? I'd think it would be based on the Chevy Corvair https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsafe_at_Any_Speed not the Pinto  ;) ;) ;)

but to be perfectly honest, seeing the phrase "SA RECALL" gave me a moment of panic, my immediate thought was "product recall". you might want to think about changing the name to something less... alarming.

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 16:10:02 »
Couple thoughts on Ergodox:

1) If you do end up going SA-P, you should come up with generic novelty legends to use for the Ergodox, similar to the composition of an Assembly kit.

2) The lateral gradient color scheme works fine with ortho, but it's not really playing nicely with the Ergodox layout as it stands, particularly since all the side modifiers are the same grey (instead of continuing the gradient out to the edges).  I bet there are better ways to make that pattern work.

Though getting the larger modifiers right for an ergo kit is really tricky (as it adds cost, particularly ABS), you can hypothetically get a good solid variety of mods for the R3 1u modifiers.

Also, there are a few Ergodox-like boards that use Ergo kits that need a handful of keys.  At minimum, just two more 1.5u's for the bottom row (for Sol and Boardwalk).

I'm happy to consult on anything Ergodox-related.

Offline SirTimmyTimbit

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 22:56:36 »
How about changing backspace to "Recall" 😛

Offline keebnewb

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 10:16:37 »
I'm in! I am in LUV with the deskmat and it's so sweet you and your brother got to work on this together  :)

Offline Corrovich

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 16:28:48 »
How about changing backspace to "Recall" 😛
  I love this suggestion.  Please make it happen.

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 16:41:18 »
Hey friends!

Wanted to give a quick bump and offer some thanks to all of you for providing your feedback! I have, thankfully, just started a new job and am pretty swamped; however, this hasn't left my line of sight so I intend on synthesizing all of the feedback this weekend/next week and working on the updates to the set. Thanks so much!!!!

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 09:19:07 »
Kit feedback! I'll start off by covering DrHigsby's great suggestions:

Agree.

Agree.

No need to add a second 2u to Alts. You'll notice that 2× 2u is already covered by getting Ortho + Alts. Something worth considering might be adding a second 2u to the Ortho kit, in which case ortho users won't need to get the Alt kit if they need two, but this isn't a must.

As for the second 1.75u, that's actually also already sort of covered by the purple 1.75u Shift from base. JD40, JD45, Prime-L (all the keyboards that use 2× 1.75u space) all have left 1.75u Shifts, which are græy in this set, so the purple one can be used to cover the second 1.75u space.

What this set is missing in terms of 40% support is some extra purple 1u, 1.25u and 1.5u mods. The thing is that most staggered 40% boards have small spacebars (e.g. 2.25u+2.75u), so without extra purple mods on the sides, the purple line won't make it all the way from X to .>. Here are some examples of what I mean:

Show Image

KLE
Not shown: Prime_E, which also needs a second 1.25u Alt; and Prime_L, which needs 1u Alt and 1u Fn/Any.

From this I can conclude that the following purple keys should be added to the Alts kit:
  • R3 1.25u Alt — so that there are two in total: one in Base, one in Alts
  • R3 1.5u Alt — this key is also useful for 1800/CP/96-key, 65% boards w/o blockers, 50% boards such as TMO50, etc.
  • R3 1u Alt
  • R3 1u Fn or Any — ideally, both
I love to see R4 <> included, but I hate to say that, given the circumstances, it should be removed from Alts to make room for these other, more useful keys. ISO users will be able to use R4 \| in its place.
Alternatively, you can drop the ISO-UK-specific keys and keep just R3 \|, R4 <> to make room for 6u worth of extra keys in the kit. That's probably what I'd do, since, statistically, ISO-UK users only make up around 3% of all users in the community.

Other keys to consider adding to the Alts kit, in order of priority:
  • R3 1.5u Code ×2 — for Mac and OG HHKB bottom row users (second 1u Alt doesn't need to be added since there is a 1u Any), as well as for some 40% boards
  • R4 2u Shift — for 60% with arrow keys
  • You could also add Minivan support with two extra keys: R2 1.75u Backspace, R3 1.5u Return (also useful for Pearl), but it doesn't look too great imo.
  • R3 1.25u Return or Fn — for some 40% boards (UT47.2, Dimple etc.)
  • R4 1.5u Shift — for Evolv and some 40% boards (Dimple, Minivan)

Edit: more potential additions
Edit2: fix broken image link
Edit3: fix formatting

I wanted to take a second to say thank you again for this incredible level of detail and explanation. I am making updates now and this is invaluable for me take make decisions on what to include.

Thank you thank you thank you <3

Offline yoniwolf1202

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 09:43:14 »
I love this set!! GLWIC and GLWGB

Offline BirgusLatro

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 12:17:04 »

^^^^^THIS

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 13:08:12 »
Langelandia what the heck is this

I love it
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Langelandia

Re: [IC] SA Recall - Pricing Deed - GB Begins December 18