Author Topic: Is there any availability of geekhack finances/money needed to run the site?  (Read 1846 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
I would just like to know for a better understanding of the costs to run the site.  My thinking that if costs were transparent, users might be more willing to offer donations.  For example, if there is a shortfall, we could know the exact amount, and then a push to help cover the shortfall.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
the vast majority of donations come in the form of volunteer hours by our incredibly fantastic all-volunteer staff. if you were to put a dollar price on the time spent by staff maintaining the site and cultivating and keeping order in the community, it would eclipse any dollar amount needed to pay for infrastructure. the greatest thing you can do for the site and community is to volunteer your time to making it better. design something, organize something, even just contributing text and pictures.

this may seem like a bit of indirection, and to some extent it is. infrastructure details are not public for security reasons. there are costs involved, but we have them under control for the most part right now. however, geekhack would not be geekhack if it weren't for its incredible community and volunteer staff; dedicated involvement and volunteer support of the geekhack community is the best form of donation anyone can offer the site administrators.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
the vast majority of donations come in the form of volunteer hours by our incredibly fantastic all-volunteer staff. if you were to put a dollar price on the time spent by staff maintaining the site and cultivating and keeping order in the community, it would eclipse any dollar amount needed to pay for infrastructure. the greatest thing you can do for the site and community is to volunteer your time to making it better. design something, organize something, even just contributing text and pictures.

this may seem like a bit of indirection, and to some extent it is. infrastructure details are not public for security reasons. there are costs involved, but we have them under control for the most part right now. however, geekhack would not be geekhack if it weren't for its incredible community and volunteer staff; dedicated involvement and volunteer support of the geekhack community is the best form of donation anyone can offer the site administrators.

Oops, sorry, I forgot that I made this post.  Okay, thank you, that's useful to know.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing