Author Topic: CM Storm Novatouch Tour (Tour Over)  (Read 105393 times)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
Re: CM Storm Novatouch Tour (Tour begins again 6/29/15)
« Reply #350 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 08:52:24 »
Microcenter, how I love thee.

Thou hast amazing keyboards.
Thou hast cheap CPUs.
Thou let me rummage through and pick my own CPU bin/batch number.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #351 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 08:58:24 »
Sounds good. I have always suggested Microcenter as a great place to try out keyboards. Glad it worked out for you too awhitedev :).

I know they don't have them at my local microcenter. I don't see them on microcenter's website either. Do you know if they'd take a special order and return? :)

Here's the NT on the Microcenter website... you could change the location using the drop down at the top and see if there's any stock. You could check their online return policy too... it may be possible to order and return if you buy it and don't like it?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/438332/Storm_NovaTouch_TKL_Mechanical_Gaming_Keyboard_-_Hybrid_Switches

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #352 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 01:22:46 »
i pinged rajiv@cm about possible getting another sample a couple of weeks ago (or somewhere around there), and shot him the link to the thread; i suspect he was off at computex and it went into the "i have too much email" box. i can ping him again if that is the best way to put another sample for the tour.

there are also a number of cap sets that are touring with the remaining board iirc. all of these were donated: massdrop donated the granite set, imsto donated the thick PBT set, and i'm sure i'm forgetting another one (dsa dolch?); as with dorkvader's review (which might be in the reviews forum..), i think the best set for this board is SA doubleshots. if someone can drum one up, it would be great to have that in the tour.

>>> oh, i missed carter's post on the last page! this is exactly what we talked about the first time we chatted. it's pretty darn awesome to actually see it happen! (ps, keep on them until you get 55g :))
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 July 2015, 01:25:52 by mkawa »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #353 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 01:28:24 »
Chiming in, been crazy busy over the last 6 months. Just getting back from ComputeX and resurfacing. Can anyone give me some quick cliffs and do we need to throw another board or 2 into the mix? 

Speaking of other boards....

Should we maybe discuss Quickfire XTi Tour, starting maybe....now?

More people need to be exposed to greeeenz
i agree. if you do put more boards into circulation, it might be wise to have CPT bring in another member to help manage and track the concurrent tours.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #354 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 12:04:33 »
With Geekhack being down, I couldn't access the list of people who were interested in the tour and not everyone had the chance to reply to my PMs. I'll wait until 7/6/15 to ship it out.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: CM Storm Novatouch Tour (Tour Restarted, Board Shipped)
« Reply #355 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 17:11:29 »
Ok whomever didn't reply to me was moved off the list. I mailed the board and the caps out to Lurch. This time I have a new setup for tracking numbers. Please be sure to PM me tracking numbers to prevent USPS from losing another board. I'm updating the OP with the order. Going east to west since I did west to east last time.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #356 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 10:24:26 »
I just got a package from CPTBadAss, but I am trapped in a meeting right now. :(

I'll post a picture of the box as soon as I can.

Thanks again for organizing this, CPTBro!
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Lurch

« Reply #357 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 13:54:37 »

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #358 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 14:15:49 »
Hooray! Thanks for the pictures Lurch. Happy to get this on the road again.

Offline Lurch

« Reply #359 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 08:26:52 »
The board is on its way to iamtootallforthis. I will post a review as soon as I can.

There was no cable included when I received the board, so I threw in a micro USB cable to keep things moving.

Many thanks to CPTBadAss for organizing this! :-*

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #360 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 08:47:04 »
I forgot the cable? Ugh...my bad Lurch. Lemme know if you want me to send you some money or another cable.

Offline Lurch

« Reply #361 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 08:57:11 »
I forgot the cable? Ugh...my bad Lurch. Lemme know if you want me to send you some money or another cable.

No worry at all dude! I had some extras. ;)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: CM Storm Novatouch Tour (Tour Restarted)
« Reply #362 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 10:58:04 »
Just an FYI everyone, this time around I found an app that stores and keeps an eye on the tracking number. Any time the package moves or gets scanned, I get a notification. I'm much more in tune with the tracking info this time. So if you're on this tour, you must give me a tracking number. If anything weird happens with the tracking, I'll be able to call USPS much sooner to hunt the board down.

If you're interested, the app is called Aftership. Works pretty good. Let's hope that "Delivered to front porch/door" doesn't really mean "About to be stolen off the porch".

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #363 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 11:34:55 »
Board is in the hands of iamtootallforthis.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #364 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 11:40:07 »
Board is in the hands of iamtootallforthis.

No damage or issues with the board just as a heads up. Thought one of the keys was lost at first but just popped off and was in the bottom of the box. Will get around to playing with it some more tomorrow and this weekend as I don't have much time to use it during the week, unless I bring it to work, which I might do.

Offline osi

« Reply #365 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 08:32:17 »
CPT - You can remove me from the tour.

Thank you sir! :D

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #366 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 17:02:42 »
Board has been received and is in tip-top condition. Typed this message on it.

Broke my Topre cherry, and my first impression: NOT ENOUGH CLICK!!! :))

I plan to bring it into work tomorrow and see if it grows on me.

Really loving the Galaxy Class keyset though...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #367 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 17:04:05 »
Thanks for the update CLiB. If the Galaxy Class was on any other profile, I would've been all over it.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #368 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 07:54:31 »
So I have been slacking and haven't posted a write up of my review of the board, so here it is. I will probably edit it and add more as I think of stuff.

Note: Prior Topre experience, 55g HHKB Type-S and 55g 23U

The board itself is solid with some heft to it which is definitely nice in my opinion. It came with the Galaxy Class set on it and my only issue was that when it arrived a few of the caps had popped off in transit. I don't if it was because they were not seated all the way in the sliders or what. The feel of the board with these caps is great though, great thock and feels great on the fingers. I didn't have any issues with the spacebar and would probably buy the board if it came in a heavier weighting. This board has really made me think about purchasing a RF 55g UB and getting some of Bunny's sliders and some silencing rings.

I highly recommend this board. Considering the price point, it is definitely a board that can be purchased as a starter without breaking the bank completely going all in on a RF board.

Thanks again for doing this CPT and again sorry for the slight delays, work has really been getting to me.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #369 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 07:23:08 »
Board handoff between abjr and clib happening this weekend. Just an update letting everyone know this is moving along smoothly XD

Offline Remenition

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Cooler than your average kid ;)
« Reply #370 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:37:52 »
Too late to sign up? Live in Long Island, NY
EDIT: Saw the post said it was closed. Thanks! PS: Trying to do something similar for a Model M, just got linked this post. Would be honored if you can check out my post! :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:39:43 by Remenition »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #371 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:40:52 »
Too late to sign up? Live in Long Island, NY
EDIT: Saw the post said it was closed. Thanks! PS: Trying to do something similar for a Model M, just got linked this post. Would be honored if you can check out my post! :)

Look at the OP's rules. You'll need about 80 more posts to qualify unfortunately.

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #372 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 19:29:19 »
Board handoff between abjr and clib happening this weekend. Just an update letting everyone know this is moving along smoothly XD

I met up with CLiB today for lunch and took possession of the board. I typed this post on it and here is the obligatory potato pic:

107817-0

I'll reserve commenting on my impression of the board so far, but my here's my 7 year old son's review: "That keyboard's kinda funky."  ;D
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #373 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 19:20:52 »
Just an FYI: Abjr and drhubblephd did a handoff on Sunday.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #374 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 19:25:31 »
Just an FYI: Abjr and drhubblephd did a handoff on Sunday.

Im attempting to find a card reader so i can post the photo of the board in my possession  :p

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: CM Storm Novatouch Tour (Tour in Progress)
« Reply #375 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 19:39:35 »
Oh lawd I gotta get it from Harwood?  Gonna have to give it a good cleaning before I use it.  :))
I'm back.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #376 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 19:52:02 »

Just what the doctor ordered  :cool:

im looking forward to reviewing this and comparing it to other topre experiences!

Offline AuRinBei

« Reply #377 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 23:47:07 »
I've got it now. My initial impressions after using it for about a day are that it sure feels like Topre. I used it with the galaxy set, my Imstos, and messed around with zinc caps. The zinc are weird but so cool. I barely have to press at all to actuate the switches. Wouldn't want to use that all the time though. I'm not going to use the other sets because I don't mess with thin stuff and the cherries seem the exact same as the Imstos basically. Imstos feel fine on it. Galaxy are weird as hell. This is DSA? I seriously don't get the hype at all, but I'm going to be using them most of all because I haven't used that profile before. I have a 55G RF and I had an FC660C, so that's what I'll be comparing it to mostly. So far seems like a pretty solid board. But no DIP switches? In a gaming board? Coolermaster WTF?

Also, fun fact. In the box I found the Majora's Mask keycap I ordered from Imsto in like freaking December. I had forgotten about it, so that was a pretty big shock.
87u || Poker 2

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #378 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 08:23:35 »
Lol I think that was a coincidence the cap was in the box. I'm not imsto's proxy or anything.

Offline AuRinBei

« Reply #379 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 19:44:14 »
Full review. I sent the board out today.

Case:

It's OK. I like it when cases have cable routing grooves, but it's not really a big deal that it doesn't. It seems solid and the feet are well designed. I don't use flip feet so I didn't have them flipped out when using it. The plastic doesn't feel Chinesey, but it's significantly lighter than an 87u. It slid on my admittedly terrible desk a few times. It probably wouldn't on a normal desk, but still, I give points when a keyboard can deal with a non-optimal surface. What I'm not sure about is the micro USB. Someone else called it a mini, but it's actually a micro. I don't know how sturdy those are compared to the standard mini that you see on most boards with detachable cables. The cable itself was very short and cheap. I don't know if that's the one that comes with it retail, but if so, make sure you have a USB extender. I have tons so it didn't give me any problems. Reasonable height and slope to the case as well. I type with my wrists floating though, so I'm probably not the best judge of that. My big issue with this case is that it has no dip switches. I guess that's a PCB thing, but I'm not doing a section for that, so I'll do it here. A lot of people like to disable the windows key, to the point where it's a pretty common feature in most keyboards even remotely advertised as "gaming" boards. You also can't swap control and capslock. Every board should have that feature.

Switches:
Yeah, like others have said, basically a 45g Topre. What I liked was how consistent it felt. I'm pretty sure all the domes were within 10g of each other for actuation force. I've never owned a Topre keyboard that I could say that about. And consistency is a big deal with rubber domes. A 10g difference on MX switches might be noticeable, but it doesn't really effect the feel of the switch much. Rubber domes, on the other hand, can feel quite different with even a small change in actuation force. I still prefer typing on my Topre though. It might be a slight difference in the switches or in the case material, and even just the sound probably has something to do with it. The Novatouch is pretty close though.

Sound:
This depends a lot on keycaps. With PBT, it sounds alright. It's got that thock, to a degree. Both my 87u and my (former) FC660C sound better though. The Novatouch just sounds a little higher pitched to me. IMSTOs sounded the best, probably because they were thickest. Also, while the stabilized keys feel pretty much the same as the other keys, the backspace sounds pretty rattley compared to everything else. Overall it's not a particularly loud board, about the same as an RF.

Games:
I can't really comment too much on this, even though I'd like to. I like games, but I don't play RTS or MOBA, which would be the genres that this board is best suited for. For FPS it works, but like any non-linear switch, you can't really float the actuation point easily, so I don't prefer it. Same deal with platformers, although I've moved to arcade stick for those recently. CM says this switch actuates at 1mm, which I think is part good part bad. The good part is obviously you don't have to push the key down as far before actuation. I noticed that I was a little more consistent at pressing 2 keys on the same frame than with my cherries. The bad part is that because this is a tactile switch with a non-linear force curve, I bottomed out pretty much each time I pressed a key, and instead of having to move back only 2mm (or usually less, in the case of linear Cherries)  to de-actuate, it had to move 3mm. This is not really that huge of a difference, but it's not unnoticeable. So my overall opinion is that, for gaming, I might prefer it to Topre, but for the kinds of games I play, linear MX is a lot better.

Conclusion:
$200? Man that is steep. Considering the case is pretty bare bones, the stock caps are thin abs, and there are no dip switches, I don't really understand where this cost is coming from. It's a nice board, and at $130, or even $150, it would make a lot of sense for a lot of people, but $200? I got my 87u for only $15 more. I guess maybe it's because they had to buy the molds for the MX/Topre hybrid plungers? The problem is that you can get a Topre board for around the same price that already comes with fantastic keycaps. So if I had $200 to spend right now on my first Topre, I would probably just save a little more and get an RF, especially considering I would need around $50 to get the base set of caps I wanted for the Novatouch.

Also, not Novatouch specific, but DSA keycaps didn't work well with it. I think this is because they are non-sculpted and so as a result every row other than the top feels weird because all the caps are sloping down with the board.

I see on their website that they include a braided cable with the retail unit, so don't worry about the tiny cable I was talking about.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 September 2015, 19:54:45 by AuRinBei »
87u || Poker 2

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #380 on: Sun, 06 September 2015, 03:15:24 »
Nice write up there!

FYI, you can deactivate the Windows key on the Novatouch with FN + F9. And +1 on being able to put Ctrl where is should on all keyboards :D

Offline majnu

« Reply #381 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 08:55:33 »
I'm part of the tour that is currently being run by Cooler Master in the UK, so I hope you don't mind me posting my review/impressions of the keyboard here. I wish that we got the fancy keycaps included would have been nice to try other types out. https://goo.gl/Fi1kkc
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 September 2015, 21:52:26 by majnu »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #382 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 13:04:36 »
Tour isn't dead. It's currently stuck with greath though. Waiting on him to reply or ship the board to LXXIX.

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #383 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 11:09:50 »
Tour isn't dead. It's currently stuck with greath though. Waiting on him to reply or ship the board to LXXIX.

Are Hwood and Heed out of the tour?

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #384 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 12:59:46 »
I still haven't heard anything in weeks. I haven't gotten anything so far.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #385 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 17:42:28 »

I haven't heard from greath either. I tried contacting him twice so far.

Yes

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #386 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 18:06:43 »
Tried the Granite set on the NT. It works well in terms of not having down-stroke click, but I cannot type very well on the DSA profile and spherical tops.

After trying many different keycap sets, including Leopold profile and various sets in Cherry profile, the best sets are Ducky dye-sub PBT in OEM profile. The Ducky caps look and feel great, and the OEM profile eliminates the down-stroke click. With these caps and the addition of internal silencing rings, typing on the NT is almost as good as typing on a silenced RF87U.

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #387 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 19:43:39 »

I haven't heard from greath either. I tried contacting him twice so far.

Yes

Sweet its almost my time to try out that cup rubber  :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #388 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 13:48:03 »
Tour is back on track. Sorry for the delays. LXXXIX should be receiving it shortly.

Offline LXXXIX

« Reply #389 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 12:47:04 »
Just got the package today and currently typing on it right now. Everything was nicely packaged and with no issues.

I will give my write up soon enough.

Thanks again CPT for doing this for GH. :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #390 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 12:49:01 »
Glad it arrived safely and the tour is back on track. Thanks for the update LXXXIX

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #391 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 13:42:43 »

Yes

I apologize, I was on a work trip to the jungle for 3 weeks and didn't get Capt'n's PM until it was too late.  I hope I wasn't holding you guys up.  Hopefully it will get to me eventually at the end of the line. :-(
I'm back.

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #392 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 00:56:52 »

Yes

I apologize, I was on a work trip to the jungle for 3 weeks and didn't get Capt'n's PM until it was too late.  I hope I wasn't holding you guys up.  Hopefully it will get to me eventually at the end of the line. :-(

No problemo. Just eager to try my firs Topre board in hopefully 2-3 weeks  :thumb:

Offline LXXXIX

« Reply #393 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 07:02:43 »

Yes

No problemo. Just eager to try my firs Topre board in hopefully 2-3 weeks  :thumb:

To say the least I might be a converter to cupped rubber. :X

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #394 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 22:27:00 »

Yes

Is the board already in your hands?

Offline LXXXIX

« Reply #395 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 22:50:34 »

Yes

Is the board already in your hands?

Yes I'm typing on it right now.

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #396 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 13:36:09 »

its here safe and sound.

I'm typing like a mad man on this thing

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #397 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 13:37:01 »
Thanks for the heads up  :).

Offline LXXXIX

« Reply #398 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 22:50:50 »
Construction and Aesthetics:

I love the size of the Novatouch. This thing is thick and just the right amount of weight. I also tried to twist it a little and it held up like a champ. I also like that they hid the branding behind the board and wasn't visible when looking at the board while typing. Whatever they used to coat this thing was really pleasing to touch too. The little concave fender thing on the side of the board is a nice touch as it doesn't make it too minimal, and getting it into Razer territory. I also am glad the Novatouch doesn't have LEDs as it's always eventually going to have to get swapped and just keeping the board straight to the point. Though, if it had LEDs I think it would really be nice if they were white or possibly RGB. I really like the construction and look of this board, and I think they should attempt to make an all white limited edition model kind of like what Ducky's Shine 3 did with NZXT.

Feels:

Wow the Novatouch was a real joy to type on! I literally looked forward to coming home and typing on it while I was holding it. I've never experienced a board like that. When I received the keyboard it still had the BSP caps on them. These were a real treat to type and game on (another topic I will cover). I really like how "solid" the whole mechanism feels. The stems also do a great job at holding the caps, and it doesn't feel like anything "wobbles." Overall I was very happy with the switches while having a usual preference for my usual linear blacks.

Gaming:

So I tried this mainly with 3 different games. I'll start with the one I played the most with which is Final Fantasy XIV. Everything went really fluid during movements and even combat was a breeze. I played for many hours while I had it and I didn't feel very fatigued or anything. Though it did feel a little like I was on a membrane after a while. Next, I'll talk about Dota 2 which I think it was paired the best with. Since MOBAs generally have breaks from pressing skills thus, it felt almost as fun as typing. Lastly, I'll mention about an FPS that I cherish which is Quake Live, but unfortunately it fell the shortest in. The key presses were really weird (I guess) for very rapid movement which is a must for a fast paces game like Quake Live. After a couple of matches it was just strange to play on. I'm not sure how else to explain it.

Sounds:

The thock is definitely there, and it only intensifies when it's paired with some thick caps. I don't have too much to say except I find the sound of typing on the Novatouch more pleasant than MX switches. I'd prefer this over any other switch types if sound is a priority.

Final thoughts:

In conclusion, the Novatouch was a blast to type and play some games on. The overall look and feel of the Novatouch was fun, humble, and straight to the point. This a great board that I think would be an awesome board to have in an office environment and on the desk back home. Overall I think I may have to purchase one of these mainly since I want to slow down on buying boards. The Novatouch is honestly at a great price point if you can nab one if it's on sale (right now for a barebones kit for $129.99 on MD). At the end of the day the one thing that really stuck with me was that the Novatouch really requires some nice and thick keycaps to really enjoy it. The Galaxy Class set was really not that intriguing or fun to type on. So if someone were to ask me if they should purchase this board I would mention these pros and cons to them;

Pros:
  • Great size.
  • Looks and feels solid.
  • Very easy to type on without fatigue.
  • Easy to swap out keycaps.
  • MX compatible stems.

Cons:
  • Needs some quality keycaps to really get the most out of it.
  • TKL?
  • A bit pricey when not on sale.
  • Not ideal for twitchy games or FPSs.

I also wanted to give a huge thank you to CPTBadAss for running the tour so smoothly :thumb:

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #399 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 14:45:03 »
Here's my review a few months late. I had this board back in early August. I did take some notes so hopefully I can remember what it was all in reference too.

First, apologies to CPTBadAss. I should not have taken so long to write this up as writing a review is part of the tour.

Second, this review is from the POV of someone who has never used a Topre board before (or since) so I will not be comparing it to a Realforce, HHKB, etc. I have really only used Cherry MX Blues and fake ALPS Acer clones as far as mechanical switches are concerned.

So on to the review. I have to admit, I hated it at first. I think coming from MX blues, the feel and sound it made were just too different at first. A bit jarring actually. It also didn't really feel like there was any tactility to it at all. I definitely bottomed out on every keystroke (I do that normally anyway) but it felt, for me at least, that the 45g switches are a bit light. So after using it for the first day at home I brought it to work the rest of the week. I don't know how to really explain it other than it really did feel awkward to use at first. My 7 year old son loved it tho :-)

At work it got a lot of regular use and started to become more enjoyable to type on. It really does sound pretty cool when you are typing fast and in a good rhythm. That "thock" sound everyone makes reference to does start to grow on you after a while. It's noisier than I expected, but coming from MX blues, that doesn't really bother me. One thing I did notice is that the stabilized keys do sound a bit different. As well, if you are just pressing random keys here and there and let go quickly, to me it does sound like the keys rattle a bit. The tour did include a lot of other key sets, but I left the Galaxy Class (DSA) set on there. I don't know how any of the other caps would have affected the sound or feel of the board. By the end of the week I was wishing I could have kept it a little longer.

Pros:
  • It does sound nice if you give it some time
  • MX compatible stems
  • Build quality seemed fine to me
  • Nice weight to it
  • TKL. My prefered form factor

Cons:
  • That damned rubber coating. It does seem better (more resistant to smudges/fingerprints) than the coating on my QFR, but I really hate the coating.
  • Right hand side micro usb port
  • No underside cable routing
  • No caps lock LED
  • 45g too light?
  • That damned rubber coating.

So all in all, I did like it despite some of it's quirks. The price is a bit steep, but I do think I could find myself buying one as a change of pace if the right deal came along.

-abjr
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K