Author Topic: Do you switch the Ctrl & Caps Lock on your keyboard?  (Read 15471 times)

Offline mikes41720

• Ranting & Rambling
Do you switch the Ctrl & Caps Lock on your keyboard?
« on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 02:02:04 »
Hello, friends. I have a Realforce 87U and I'm trying out the DIP switches. The only DIP switch function that particularly interests me is option 1, which switches the left Caps Lock with the left Ctrl. I'm not sure if it's better in terms of ergonomics, as I'm used to using my pinky for Ctrl. But I'll give it a shot. How many of you guys have this set-up with your boards?

On a side note, also flipping the spacebar. But I have a wrist rest, so I'm not sure if it's really necessary. Flipped Spacebar Master Race?

And as I copy paste this from Reddit, my Pinky goes to Ctrl+C but it does nothing, I only realize now that it's now Caps Lock.  :))

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: Do you switch the Ctrl & Caps Lock on your keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 02:06:12 »
i use ctrl to the left of a. i like it.

i dont flip my spacebar. it's not necessary if you maintain good typing posture. some people do it anyway. i don't understand why.

11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 02:07:09 »
It takes time to get used to it, but Its better in terms of ergonomics and possibly hitting the caps lock by accident.

And flipped spacebar masterrace, everybody who tell you the opposite is wrong.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Durvid

• Thunk thunk thunk..
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 02:07:43 »
Got used to it on the poker, but haven't tried it out on any of my topre boards. I don't have any mx anymore, so we'll see if I can even do that.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 02:09:30 »
The master race (German: die Herrenrasse) is a concept in Nazi ideology in which the Nordic race—a branch of what in late-nineteenth and early-twentieth century taxonomy was called the Aryan race—represented an ideal and pure white race. In Nazi ideology, the Nordic race was the purest example of the original racial stock of those who were then called the Proto-Aryans,[whom the Nazis believed to have prehistorically dwelt on the North German Plain and to have ultimately originated from the lost continent of Atlantis. The Nazis declared that the Nordics (now referred to as the Germanic peoples), were the true Aryans (ethnically closest descendants of the Proto-Indo-Europeans) because they were much less racially mixed with peoples who were "non-native" to the European continent, than other Indo-European peoples, such as the Slavic peoples, the Romanic peoples, and the Indo-Iranian peoples. Based on this claim that the Nordic peoples were superior to all other races, the Nazis believed they were entitled to expand territorially. This concept is known as Nordicism. The actual policy that was implemented by the Nazis resulted in the Aryan certificate, the one form of the official document that was required by the law for all citizens of the Reich was the "Lesser Aryan certificate" (Kleiner Ariernachweis) which could be obtained through an Ahnenpass which required the owner to trace their lineage through baptism or birth certificates or certified proof thereof that all grandparents were of "Aryan descent".

Along with the Jews and Gypsies, the overwhelming majority of the Slavic population were defined as non-Aryan Untermenschen, and a danger to the "Aryan" or Germanic Übermenschen master race. According to the Nazi secret Hunger Plan and Generalplan Ost, the Slavic population were to be removed from East-Central Europe through expulsion, enslavement, starvation, and extermination. The Nazis eventually decided to exterminate the Poles and most other Slavic people, except for a small percentage of people living in Eastern Europe who were deemed to be non-Slavic descendants of Germanic settlers, and thus subjects for Germanisation.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 02:14:07 »
why Caps Lock is on the home row is beyond me. I guess it won't change now because everyone's too used to it.

flipping the space bar makes the surface perpendicular to your thumb's surface, but because you want to apply force to the switch vertically, if your spacebar is flipped then you'll also be applying force forward, which can cause friction.

Offline mikes41720

• Ranting & Rambling
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 02:48:08 »
i use ctrl to the left of a. i like it.

i dont flip my spacebar. it's not necessary if you maintain good typing posture. some people do it anyway. i don't understand why.

Show Image

It's my first day using the new Ctrl and Caps Lock positioning. How long did it take you before you got used to the new lay-out?

It takes time to get used to it, but Its better in terms of ergonomics and possibly hitting the caps lock by accident.

Okay, I'll try to give it a try for a week. I don't really hit the caps lock by accident anyway. And as for the flipped spacebar, maybe I find it less impressive because I have a wrist rest to level me with the keyboard?

Got used to it on the poker, but haven't tried it out on any of my topre boards. I don't have any mx anymore, so we'll see if I can even do that.

I believe it's an option on the Realforce. Not sure about the Novatouch, Leopold and HHKB though.

The master race (German: die Herrenrasse) is a concept in Nazi ideology in which the Nordic race—a branch of what in late-nineteenth and early-twentieth century taxonomy was called the Aryan race—represented an ideal and pure white race. In Nazi ideology, the Nordic race was the purest example of the original racial stock of those who were then called the Proto-Aryans,[whom the Nazis believed to have prehistorically dwelt on the North German Plain and to have ultimately originated from the lost continent of Atlantis. The Nazis declared that the Nordics (now referred to as the Germanic peoples), were the true Aryans (ethnically closest descendants of the Proto-Indo-Europeans) because they were much less racially mixed with peoples who were "non-native" to the European continent, than other Indo-European peoples, such as the Slavic peoples, the Romanic peoples, and the Indo-Iranian peoples. Based on this claim that the Nordic peoples were superior to all other races, the Nazis believed they were entitled to expand territorially. This concept is known as Nordicism. The actual policy that was implemented by the Nazis resulted in the Aryan certificate, the one form of the official document that was required by the law for all citizens of the Reich was the "Lesser Aryan certificate" (Kleiner Ariernachweis) which could be obtained through an Ahnenpass which required the owner to trace their lineage through baptism or birth certificates or certified proof thereof that all grandparents were of "Aryan descent".

Along with the Jews and Gypsies, the overwhelming majority of the Slavic population were defined as non-Aryan Untermenschen, and a danger to the "Aryan" or Germanic Übermenschen master race. According to the Nazi secret Hunger Plan and Generalplan Ost, the Slavic population were to be removed from East-Central Europe through expulsion, enslavement, starvation, and extermination. The Nazis eventually decided to exterminate the Poles and most other Slavic people, except for a small percentage of people living in Eastern Europe who were deemed to be non-Slavic descendants of Germanic settlers, and thus subjects for Germanisation.

A period in mankind's history that screams utter stupidity.

why Caps Lock is on the home row is beyond me. I guess it won't change now because everyone's too used to it.

flipping the space bar makes the surface perpendicular to your thumb's surface, but because you want to apply force to the switch vertically, if your spacebar is flipped then you'll also be applying force forward, which can cause friction.

Can I say I also don't like how the flipped spacebar looks? Also, I think because I have a wrist rest, it's less impressive to flip it.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 05:19:45 »
Ever since I swear by HHKB, I have switched my Ctrl to CapsLock on all of my keyboards.

I went a step further by switching the Backspace to backslash too (I forgot remap it to backspace in this keyboard :p).
Please feed my addiction.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 07:40:04 »
HHKB doesn't have a layer 1 caps lock, its on the Fn layer on Tab IIRC. I don't remember the last time I used capslock, and I use TMK on my HHKB anyways now. Pretty sure I don't have it bound anywhere.

My Pok3r, nor my Varmilo TKL have a capslock key either. On my Pok3r its Function, and I've remapped it to Control on my Varmilo. Key chords are easier with Control in its proper location next to A.

Its probably more ergonomic as well. You have to move your hand to use Control in the corner. While you can maintain the same position when its next to A. Or at least, there's less movement.

If you do key chords often, it won't take long to adjust. The only chord that gave me problems was two handed ctrl+alt+delete, but that's probably because I tended to do that after I was already standing up. I fixed that by switching to Windows+L instead. On a TKL or full-sized, when sitting at the keyboard, I have always used ctrl+alt+delete one handed.

So, quirky stuff like that aside, it was a pretty easy transition. Control+letter chords became second nature within a few days.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 07:47:56 »

Agreed on both fronts. Since using my HHKB, I find myself caps locking by accident on my 7G a ton at home.

I really wish I could modify the firmware on the 7G to fix all the wonkyness it has. Replace the big ass enter with a regular one, standard size delete, etc. One can dream!

Offline jd29

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 07:55:39 »
I switch Ctrl with Alt because I'd rather be able to hit it with my thumb than my pinky. If I change Caps to anything it's backspace.

Especially it you've got wide modifiers, I urge you to give it a shot. Alt is a wasted use of a thumb key.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 07:57:19 »
Flipped master race checking in. Switchable Ctrl/Caps is one of my favorite things about Realforce keyboards. Pair that with a flipped spacebar and you're on the path to success in life!

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 08:17:55 »
Alt is a wasted use of a thumb key.

not if you use it for tab switching/window switching :)

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 08:29:17 »
We have the exact same setup! :D

Yes, I use Ctrl in place of caps lock. Flipped space bar is nice because I have bad typing skills and use my index finger to hit the spacebar, this way I only get shine on the very edge of the spacebar. It makes my transition to my HHKB (when I need to use my other station at my desk) easier. I almost never hit the caps lock, and do so when inadvertently trying to do ctrl+x/c/v/ whatever.

Offline mikes41720

• Ranting & Rambling
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 09:43:57 »
Ever since I swear by HHKB, I have switched my Ctrl to CapsLock on all of my keyboards.

I went a step further by switching the Backspace to backslash too (I forgot remap it to backspace in this keyboard :p).

I'm so used to having the backspace in the top most area. How does it feel having it in the backslash area? Is it more ergonomic?

HHKB doesn't have a layer 1 caps lock, its on the Fn layer on Tab IIRC. I don't remember the last time I used capslock, and I use TMK on my HHKB anyways now. Pretty sure I don't have it bound anywhere.

My Pok3r, nor my Varmilo TKL have a capslock key either. On my Pok3r its Function, and I've remapped it to Control on my Varmilo. Key chords are easier with Control in its proper location next to A.

Its probably more ergonomic as well. You have to move your hand to use Control in the corner. While you can maintain the same position when its next to A. Or at least, there's less movement.

If you do key chords often, it won't take long to adjust. The only chord that gave me problems was two handed ctrl+alt+delete, but that's probably because I tended to do that after I was already standing up. I fixed that by switching to Windows+L instead. On a TKL or full-sized, when sitting at the keyboard, I have always used ctrl+alt+delete one handed.

So, quirky stuff like that aside, it was a pretty easy transition. Control+letter chords became second nature within a few days.

Glad to hear it! I'm on my first day and I've already messed up some of the more usual functions like Ctrl + C, V, S, A, Z, X and the like. Hope it gets easier as time passes!

Agreed on both fronts. Since using my HHKB, I find myself caps locking by accident on my 7G a ton at home.

I really wish I could modify the firmware on the 7G to fix all the wonkyness it has. Replace the big ass enter with a regular one, standard size delete, etc. One can dream!

Or one can always sell it off and get a new keyboard.  :p

I switch Ctrl with Alt because I'd rather be able to hit it with my thumb than my pinky. If I change Caps to anything it's backspace.

Especially it you've got wide modifiers, I urge you to give it a shot. Alt is a wasted use of a thumb key.

I don't think I can program my Realforce to do that though? Or do you mean use another third party program? So basically use the left alt as the Ctrl?

Flipped master race checking in. Switchable Ctrl/Caps is one of my favorite things about Realforce keyboards. Pair that with a flipped spacebar and you're on the path to success in life!

Well, I have that exact same set-up right now. Does that make me successful in life already?

We have the exact same setup! :D

Yes, I use Ctrl in place of caps lock. Flipped space bar is nice because I have bad typing skills and use my index finger to hit the spacebar, this way I only get shine on the very edge of the spacebar. It makes my transition to my HHKB (when I need to use my other station at my desk) easier. I almost never hit the caps lock, and do so when inadvertently trying to do ctrl+x/c/v/ whatever.

Cheers to us having the exact same set-up! Still on my first day with the Ctrl/Caps Lock experiment. That's unique! I don't think I'd ever hit the spacebar with anything else than my thumb!

Offline raymogi

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 10:05:56 »
For more it is. But maybe because I'm just so used to HHKB layout. Even though I cycle the keyboards I use at home, I have HHKB in both of my offices so that layout sticks with me the whole time.

Offline mikes41720

• Ranting & Rambling
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 10:20:06 »
For more it is. But maybe because I'm just so used to HHKB layout. Even though I cycle the keyboards I use at home, I have HHKB in both of my offices so that layout sticks with me the whole time.

My Realforce 87U with 55g domes are amazing, but I've always been curious to how the 45g domes from the HHKB feel like. I keep reading that people say it's more 'fun' and 'alive' to type on. Hmmm.  :))

Offline raymogi

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 10:23:48 »
It's lighter but not to the point it's not enjoyable to type on.

And sometimes after not hearing any noise from the silenced keyboards, it's refreshing to hear the Topre clacks.

Offline mikes41720

• Ranting & Rambling
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 10:49:28 »
It's lighter but not to the point it's not enjoyable to type on.

And sometimes after not hearing any noise from the silenced keyboards, it's refreshing to hear the Topre clacks.

Well, I can still get a delicious amount of thock from the RF board! But I'm just curious to hear how the HHKB fares against it. But then again, I might be hard pressed to go down to 60% form factor.

Offline Shaussman

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 11:37:41 »
I leave my control+caps lock normal because I honestly find it to be more comfortable to hit control with my pinky, especially when playing games.

As for the spacebar thing, I leave mine normal. I think that flipping it just looks awful and is incredibly uncomfortable. My thumb doesn't hit the edge of my spacebar anyways...
MX Brown Quickfire XT | MX Clear WASD VP3 | MX Blue Ducky Zero

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 11:46:28 »
Well, I can still get a delicious amount of thock from the RF board! But I'm just curious to hear how the HHKB fares against it. But then again, I might be hard pressed to go down to 60% form factor.

I had reservations about the layout at first but after a couple of days it becomes second nature. You'll wonder why all other keyboards aren't the same.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 14:07:58 »
My CTRL and Caps Lock are switched by default on the HHKB. I'm sure it's an advantage for some uses, but for the most part in OS X, the Command key (which sits where the ALT key is in Windows) does the heavy lifting. I could see maybe switching my work keyboard so that it matches and I don't have to keep readjusting -- but I'd still have to deal with the default placement on my Macbook.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 15:40:27 »
I make the caps lock to be ctrl and totally get rid of caps lock in my keyboard. I hardly ever needs caps lock and caps lock is also dangerous in Vim.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline AuRinBei

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 16:34:09 »
Yes because I'm a civilized adult and not a drooling Neanderthal. I also flip my spacebar, and I have perfect, godlike even, typing posture. Wrists straight and level at all times, like a champ. Don't bother using a wrist wrest because they would never touch it.

Also, you should be hitting Ctrl with pinky regardless of whether it's in its normal place or where capslock usually is.

87u || Poker 2

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 17:46:18 »
Tried it out a long time about when I was learning Vim, never looked back. Just feels natural now. Plus I don't think I've legitimately used CapsLock in years (my boards effectively have 3 control keys)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 17:48:05 »
Switched and flipped.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 18:24:12 »
Swapping Control and Caps Lock is the best single layout mod you can do. If I could only pick one, that would be it. The second best is swapping Backspace and "\". I came to appreciate this on my HHKB which has a dip switch for it. But I liked it so much, I have an AHK script that swaps them for my other keyboards.

Offline mikes41720

• Ranting & Rambling
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 05:43:24 »
I leave my control+caps lock normal because I honestly find it to be more comfortable to hit control with my pinky, especially when playing games.

As for the spacebar thing, I leave mine normal. I think that flipping it just looks awful and is incredibly uncomfortable. My thumb doesn't hit the edge of my spacebar anyways...

The only thing I have noticed so far that was disadvantageous with the old lay-out is when you have to adjust your whole hand if you want to do Ctrl + A. Now it's much easier since the Ctrl + A are right next to each other. I'm trying it out flipped. But if I don't really notice anything in the change, I'll go back to the regular orientation.

I had reservations about the layout at first but after a couple of days it becomes second nature. You'll wonder why all other keyboards aren't the same.

Well, that's something for me to think about doing. Maybe in the future! But I use a lot of the F keys at work though.

My CTRL and Caps Lock are switched by default on the HHKB. I'm sure it's an advantage for some uses, but for the most part in OS X, the Command key (which sits where the ALT key is in Windows) does the heavy lifting. I could see maybe switching my work keyboard so that it matches and I don't have to keep readjusting -- but I'd still have to deal with the default placement on my Macbook.

I have no experience with anything Mac, but I'm glad it works out for you!

I make the caps lock to be ctrl and totally get rid of caps lock in my keyboard. I hardly ever needs caps lock and caps lock is also dangerous in Vim.

What is Vim? Are those the keyboard layouts? Like Dvorak and Colemak? I might be murdering those names as I totally haven't read about them.

Yes because I'm a civilized adult and not a drooling Neanderthal. I also flip my spacebar, and I have perfect, godlike even, typing posture. Wrists straight and level at all times, like a champ. Don't bother using a wrist wrest because they would never touch it.

Also, you should be hitting Ctrl with pinky regardless of whether it's in its normal place or where capslock usually is.

Show Image

I'll try to hit Ctrl with my Pinky finger. But I'm so used to using my ring finger already. Might be hard to unlearn that.

Tried it out a long time about when I was learning Vim, never looked back. Just feels natural now. Plus I don't think I've legitimately used CapsLock in years (my boards effectively have 3 control keys)

Caps Lock is useful when you just want to shout at the world.

Switched and flipped.

I like that. Switched and flipped.

Swapping Control and Caps Lock is the best single layout mod you can do. If I could only pick one, that would be it. The second best is swapping Backspace and "\". I came to appreciate this on my HHKB which has a dip switch for it. But I liked it so much, I have an AHK script that swaps them for my other keyboards.

I'm liking it so far, but I'm still at that adjustment period. I don't think I'm going to go do the second best mod though.  :thumb:

Offline burn1nsun

• My stupid YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 06:12:46 »
Yup, but right now I don't have a caps lock key :c
HHKB Pro 2 l Pok3r Gateron Blacks

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 13:34:01 »
VIM is a text editor, that has different modes for writing and for navigating, and it uses the home row keys for the arrows.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 14:06:19 »
I don't swap Caps Lock and Left Control. I map Caps Lock as an additional Control key.

Only because of historical reasons. Typewriters had latching Shift Lock mechanisms where the latch latched to a lever next to it. The entire bottom row was occupied by the Space Bar so the space to the left of A was the most convenient spot.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 14:58:09 »
I DON'T SWITCH CTRL AND CAPS LOCK ON MY KEYBOARD.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 15:16:09 »
 Yes. In fact, I remap all my keyboards to something as close as possible to a HHKB/Mac layout. Most of the time, I simply use a HHKB Pro 2.

Offline linuxhermit

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 16:19:50 »
I'm a remapper as well I like my control close for vim and emacs
87UW45FC660C EW

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 16:48:50 »
I don't swap Caps Lock and Left Control. I map Caps Lock as an additional Control key.

Only because of historical reasons. Typewriters had latching Shift Lock mechanisms where the latch latched to a lever next to it. The entire bottom row was occupied by the Space Bar so the space to the left of A was the most convenient spot.

Interesting, the good part is that while the keyboard inherited something from mechanical type writers it has its own trades as a modern mechatronics system.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 05:48:38 »
I enjoy my HHKB with Ctrl above the left Shift, and everything else with Ctrl under the left Shift.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mikes41720

• Ranting & Rambling
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 07:33:42 »
No love for Caps Lock. </3

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 09:14:56 »
No love for Caps Lock. </3

All the love is for caps lock, when it invokes control.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 09:24:40 »
I'm use to the position of LCTRL so I usually just prefer a stepped Caps Lock with a MX Lock switch on there.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline blahlicus

• UniqueK | DIY keyboards, etc
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 09:29:59 »
i use vim so the ctrl key isnt used that much with intensive typing sessions, so the ctrl key stays at where it is

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 12:44:37 »
I used to have Fn where Caps is but switched to Ctrl recently and I love it. I've also switched it on all of my laptops on the OS level because I like it so much.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 14:38:47 »
I used to have Fn where Caps is but switched to Ctrl recently and I love it. I've also switched it on all of my laptops on the OS level because I like it so much.

I did the same; then, I can use the layout even with my laptop keyboard.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 06:17:59 »
I map Esc to Caps Lock instead. Use it more than  Ctrl and it's farther away from the home row.

A colleague of mine sets his Caps Lock so that a short press = Esc but holding it down = Ctrl. I always thought that was very clever.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline mikes41720

• Ranting & Rambling
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 07:53:57 »
What good timing considering that I'm trying to get into Colemak. My left Caps Lock key is now backspace!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 10:13:41 »
What good timing considering that I'm trying to get into Colemak. My left Caps Lock key is now backspace!

Is there a right caps lock in Colemak?

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 13:32:09 »
When I switched to Colemak two years ago, the only thing I didn't like about the layout was the right AltGr key. So I used Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator to make a Colemak layout with the AltGr as a standard Alt key.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 10:23:42 »
I switched maybe 4 or 5 months ago to using caps lock as control because I wanted to be one of the cool HHKB kids - don't think I'll ever go back to using the default layout

Also just recently changed \| to backspace and oh my god it is awesome

Offline tararais

• Forum Justice Warrior
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 22:20:18 »
I wasn't really a believer in it before I got my HHKB, now I do actually prefer the layout, it's pretty comfortable not having to stretch to the bottom of the keyboard.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 22:29:00 »
On Windows Caps Lock is Control and on Mac I map it to command. I'm a space-bar flipper as well, just feels weird using it any other way.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 22:43:39 »
On Windows Caps Lock is Control and on Mac I map it to command. I'm a space-bar flipper as well, just feels weird using it any other way.

+1

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 02:21:21 »
Caps lock as ctrl really is the best thing since sliced bread.  It take a while to get used to but it's totally worth it to do it, it's BEAUTIFUL.  Also doing this makes you able to put winkey in a more easy to reach place = the old ctrl key, making the winkey useless which makes you ready for a winkeyless masterrace board in the future!  About the flipped spacebars I don't get them at all, when you have the spacebar flipped your thumb is pressing the edge of the key, hurting your finger.  Also it looks like ****, and it looks wrong, like a mistake.
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 02:24:35 »
About the flipped spacebars I don't get them at all, when you have the spacebar flipped your thumb is pressing the edge of the key, hurting your finger.

For you maybe. When I hit the spacebar my thumb perfectly rests on the slope, much more comfortable.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 04:15:33 »
About the flipped spacebars I don't get them at all, when you have the spacebar flipped your thumb is pressing the edge of the key, hurting your finger.  Also it looks like ****, and it looks wrong, like a mistake.

bad posture leads to spacebar flipping

#liftyourwrists2012

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 05:25:27 »
Of course I do!

First of all, I don't use Caps Lock since I don't spend all day on Facebook.
Second of all I DO use Ctrl, since I spend all day in either Atom or Sublime Text, not to mention iTerm and PuTTy (depending on platform).

Third of all, my finger doesn't bend that way, so if I want to use the far left bottom key I have to move my hand, which takes time, effort, and leads to RSI according to people who know about those things.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 05:32:33 »
Of course I do!

First of all, I don't use Caps Lock since I don't spend all day on Facebook.

Made me laugh

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 10:10:36 »
About the flipped spacebars I don't get them at all, when you have the spacebar flipped your thumb is pressing the edge of the key, hurting your finger.

For you maybe. When I hit the spacebar my thumb perfectly rests on the slope, much more comfortable.

Are we talking about non wrist rest user vs a wrist rest user maybe? I use a wrist rest.
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 11:16:10 »
About the flipped spacebars I don't get them at all, when you have the spacebar flipped your thumb is pressing the edge of the key, hurting your finger.  Also it looks like ****, and it looks wrong, like a mistake.

bad posture leads to spacebar flipping

#liftyourwrists2012

This is spot on. The people who flip their spacebar are using wrist rests while they type. Good luck with that in 20+ years of full-time keyboard use.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 11:43:12 »
This is spot on. The people who flip their spacebar are using wrist rests while they type. Good luck with that in 20+ years of full-time keyboard use.

I'm at the computer up to 12+ hrs a day. I absolutely cannot keep my wrists elevated for that long without some sort of support. It would be hell on my arms/shoulders.

(and I'm almost at 20 years of full time computer use ;) )

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 11:48:43 »
I'm over 20 years full time and don't lift my wrists. Everybody's body is different. I don't flip my spacebar, FWIW. Then again, currently using SA, so flipping is exactly the same as not flipped...

I fully believe in ergonomics. I also believe that ergonomics is highly personal. If they weren't, then everybody could wear the same kind of running shoes, or the same chair, etc etc. Wrists aren't any different; what's good for one person isn't for another.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 14:25:24 »
To each his own on the wrist rest thing. I put my feet up on my desk and keyboard on my lap at least once through the day so I'd hardly consider myself a typing posture purist. But unless you're transcribing documents all day, you're not typing all day and that's especially true for coders. I have a nice EK leather wrist rest that always sit in front of my keyboard. When I'm not typing, my wrists are on it. When I type, I lift my wrists. When I pause typing to think, they're back on the wrist rest. It works for me.

Offline Altis

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 16:20:05 »
I don't particularly like having the Control key left of A in the traditional CapsLock position. I find it awkward for use with Z X C V.

I think I'd most like Control to be where the Windows key is traditionally found.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 17:17:38 »
I don't particularly like having the Control key left of A in the traditional CapsLock position. I find it awkward for use with Z X C V.

I think I'd most like Control to be where the Windows key is traditionally found.

That's precisely why I like Control on home row. But it only works better if you touch type your keyboard shortcuts. Otherwise, your hand remains over those keys. However, learning them without looking is easy enough. And looking down at your keyboard is something you shouldn't be doing for this stuff anyway.

For me, I use:
Control + Z: ring finger
Control + X: middle finger
Control + C: index finger
Control + V: index finger (it just slides over a bit)

Give it a try. You'll have it down in a day or so.

Offline Altis

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:09:52 »

That's precisely why I like Control on home row. But it only works better if you touch type your keyboard shortcuts. Otherwise, your hand remains over those keys. However, learning them without looking is easy enough. And looking down at your keyboard is something you shouldn't be doing for this stuff anyway.

For me, I use:
Control + Z: ring finger
Control + X: middle finger
Control + C: index finger
Control + V: index finger (it just slides over a bit)

Give it a try. You'll have it down in a day or so.

For those combinations, you're still using your pinky finger for Control (next to 'A')?

When I place my ring, middle, and index fingers on Z, X, and C, my pinky naturally falls on the Windows key. It's actually quite an uncomfortable stretch to make it next to the 'A' with my pinky, and involves arching my other fingers to allow the reach.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:35:58 »
Yes, pinky finger ALWAYS actuates Control beside A for me. I should've noted that, but assumed that would be understood because it's the only finger not used in my examples haha.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:38:00 »
I have to use other people's keyboards at work so it makes no sense to get used to a helpfully positioned Control key, instead my main board has a cap designed to mock how infrequently it gets used :thumb:

More

120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:49:07 »
I have to use other people's keyboards at work so it makes no sense to get used to a helpfully positioned Control key, instead my main board has a cap designed to mock how infrequently it gets used :thumb:

More
Show Image

lmao, mocking the Caps Lock key. I like that! I use other keyboards all the time as well and don't have any problem switching. Must be the years of muscle memory helping out.

Offline Altis

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 20:28:48 »
Yes, pinky finger ALWAYS actuates Control beside A for me. I should've noted that, but assumed that would be understood because it's the only finger not used in my examples haha.

I figured as much, but I still can't see how that's very comfortable. With my pinky next to A, my ring finger on Z is bent sharper than a right-angle.

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 20:42:56 »
Of course Ctrl should be to the left of A, and Alt should be below Left Shift.  This was one of the dipswitch options 25 years ago on Northgate Omnikey boards as represented in the image below; it was the option that WordPerfect recommended back in the day.  I have always figured that this is the arrangement that God intended for anyone who is a serious typist, and I regularly revamp my boards to that layout.  The Omnikeys came with extra keycaps for that layout; unfortunately, not all modern boards are so equipped.112920-0

« Last Edit: Mon, 05 October 2015, 20:47:53 by opensecret »
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 22:01:49 »
I like keeping Caps Lock whenever I have a board with the MX Lock switch for it, I rarely use it but it's fun to use haha. I got one on my RS96 but I'll probably pass on my board because I'll be using Zealios.

Offline tararais

• Forum Justice Warrior
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 01:39:31 »
Look at all these people who can have wrist rests! 
Meanwhile my vision is crap without glasses so I have to put the laptop screen as close as possible (i.e. keyboard on top on the edge of the table). I don't have a problem floating, due to some nice adjustable arm rests on my 'gaming chair'.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 07:28:42 »
I put my space bar in its normal orientation yesterday and I confirmed again that keep i flipped makes sense. The space bar in its flipped position allows you to keep its top surface in parallel to your thumb, in its normal orientation you hit its angle, and that feels uncomfortable. This morning I just rotated it again, and I felt at home, again.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 09:54:43 »
I put my space bar in its normal orientation yesterday and I confirmed again that keep i flipped makes sense. The space bar in its flipped position allows you to keep its top surface in parallel to your thumb, in its normal orientation you hit its angle, and that feels uncomfortable. This morning I just rotated it again, and I felt at home, again.

Just lift your wrists more and then the space bar wouldn't need flipped. It's all personal preference but if you have good posture and lift your wrists or use a wrist rest then there should be no need to flip the space bar.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 09:59:57 »
How high are your wrist rests?!?