Author Topic: Do you switch the Ctrl & Caps Lock on your keyboard?  (Read 15503 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: Do you switch the Ctrl & Caps Lock on your keyboard?
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 22:43:39 »
On Windows Caps Lock is Control and on Mac I map it to command. I'm a space-bar flipper as well, just feels weird using it any other way.

+1

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 02:21:21 »
Caps lock as ctrl really is the best thing since sliced bread.  It take a while to get used to but it's totally worth it to do it, it's BEAUTIFUL.  Also doing this makes you able to put winkey in a more easy to reach place = the old ctrl key, making the winkey useless which makes you ready for a winkeyless masterrace board in the future!  About the flipped spacebars I don't get them at all, when you have the spacebar flipped your thumb is pressing the edge of the key, hurting your finger.  Also it looks like ****, and it looks wrong, like a mistake.
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 02:24:35 »
About the flipped spacebars I don't get them at all, when you have the spacebar flipped your thumb is pressing the edge of the key, hurting your finger.

For you maybe. When I hit the spacebar my thumb perfectly rests on the slope, much more comfortable.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 04:15:33 »
About the flipped spacebars I don't get them at all, when you have the spacebar flipped your thumb is pressing the edge of the key, hurting your finger.  Also it looks like ****, and it looks wrong, like a mistake.

bad posture leads to spacebar flipping

#liftyourwrists2012
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 05:25:27 »
Of course I do!

First of all, I don't use Caps Lock since I don't spend all day on Facebook.
Second of all I DO use Ctrl, since I spend all day in either Atom or Sublime Text, not to mention iTerm and PuTTy (depending on platform).

Third of all, my finger doesn't bend that way, so if I want to use the far left bottom key I have to move my hand, which takes time, effort, and leads to RSI according to people who know about those things.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 05:32:33 »
Of course I do!

First of all, I don't use Caps Lock since I don't spend all day on Facebook.

Made me laugh

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 10:10:36 »
About the flipped spacebars I don't get them at all, when you have the spacebar flipped your thumb is pressing the edge of the key, hurting your finger.

For you maybe. When I hit the spacebar my thumb perfectly rests on the slope, much more comfortable.

Are we talking about non wrist rest user vs a wrist rest user maybe? I use a wrist rest.
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 11:16:10 »
About the flipped spacebars I don't get them at all, when you have the spacebar flipped your thumb is pressing the edge of the key, hurting your finger.  Also it looks like ****, and it looks wrong, like a mistake.

bad posture leads to spacebar flipping

#liftyourwrists2012

This is spot on. The people who flip their spacebar are using wrist rests while they type. Good luck with that in 20+ years of full-time keyboard use.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 11:43:12 »
This is spot on. The people who flip their spacebar are using wrist rests while they type. Good luck with that in 20+ years of full-time keyboard use.

I'm at the computer up to 12+ hrs a day. I absolutely cannot keep my wrists elevated for that long without some sort of support. It would be hell on my arms/shoulders.

(and I'm almost at 20 years of full time computer use ;) )

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 11:48:43 »
I'm over 20 years full time and don't lift my wrists. Everybody's body is different. I don't flip my spacebar, FWIW. Then again, currently using SA, so flipping is exactly the same as not flipped...

I fully believe in ergonomics. I also believe that ergonomics is highly personal. If they weren't, then everybody could wear the same kind of running shoes, or the same chair, etc etc. Wrists aren't any different; what's good for one person isn't for another.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 14:25:24 »
To each his own on the wrist rest thing. I put my feet up on my desk and keyboard on my lap at least once through the day so I'd hardly consider myself a typing posture purist. But unless you're transcribing documents all day, you're not typing all day and that's especially true for coders. I have a nice EK leather wrist rest that always sit in front of my keyboard. When I'm not typing, my wrists are on it. When I type, I lift my wrists. When I pause typing to think, they're back on the wrist rest. It works for me.

Offline Altis

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 16:20:05 »
I don't particularly like having the Control key left of A in the traditional CapsLock position. I find it awkward for use with Z X C V.

I think I'd most like Control to be where the Windows key is traditionally found.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 17:17:38 »
I don't particularly like having the Control key left of A in the traditional CapsLock position. I find it awkward for use with Z X C V.

I think I'd most like Control to be where the Windows key is traditionally found.

That's precisely why I like Control on home row. But it only works better if you touch type your keyboard shortcuts. Otherwise, your hand remains over those keys. However, learning them without looking is easy enough. And looking down at your keyboard is something you shouldn't be doing for this stuff anyway.

For me, I use:
Control + Z: ring finger
Control + X: middle finger
Control + C: index finger
Control + V: index finger (it just slides over a bit)

Give it a try. You'll have it down in a day or so.

Offline Altis

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:09:52 »

That's precisely why I like Control on home row. But it only works better if you touch type your keyboard shortcuts. Otherwise, your hand remains over those keys. However, learning them without looking is easy enough. And looking down at your keyboard is something you shouldn't be doing for this stuff anyway.

For me, I use:
Control + Z: ring finger
Control + X: middle finger
Control + C: index finger
Control + V: index finger (it just slides over a bit)

Give it a try. You'll have it down in a day or so.

For those combinations, you're still using your pinky finger for Control (next to 'A')?

When I place my ring, middle, and index fingers on Z, X, and C, my pinky naturally falls on the Windows key. It's actually quite an uncomfortable stretch to make it next to the 'A' with my pinky, and involves arching my other fingers to allow the reach.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:35:58 »
Yes, pinky finger ALWAYS actuates Control beside A for me. I should've noted that, but assumed that would be understood because it's the only finger not used in my examples haha.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:38:00 »
I have to use other people's keyboards at work so it makes no sense to get used to a helpfully positioned Control key, instead my main board has a cap designed to mock how infrequently it gets used :thumb:

More

120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:49:07 »
I have to use other people's keyboards at work so it makes no sense to get used to a helpfully positioned Control key, instead my main board has a cap designed to mock how infrequently it gets used :thumb:

More
Show Image

lmao, mocking the Caps Lock key. I like that! I use other keyboards all the time as well and don't have any problem switching. Must be the years of muscle memory helping out.

Offline Altis

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 20:28:48 »
Yes, pinky finger ALWAYS actuates Control beside A for me. I should've noted that, but assumed that would be understood because it's the only finger not used in my examples haha.

I figured as much, but I still can't see how that's very comfortable. With my pinky next to A, my ring finger on Z is bent sharper than a right-angle.

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 20:42:56 »
Of course Ctrl should be to the left of A, and Alt should be below Left Shift.  This was one of the dipswitch options 25 years ago on Northgate Omnikey boards as represented in the image below; it was the option that WordPerfect recommended back in the day.  I have always figured that this is the arrangement that God intended for anyone who is a serious typist, and I regularly revamp my boards to that layout.  The Omnikeys came with extra keycaps for that layout; unfortunately, not all modern boards are so equipped.112920-0

« Last Edit: Mon, 05 October 2015, 20:47:53 by opensecret »
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 22:01:49 »
I like keeping Caps Lock whenever I have a board with the MX Lock switch for it, I rarely use it but it's fun to use haha. I got one on my RS96 but I'll probably pass on my board because I'll be using Zealios.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline tararais

• Forum Justice Warrior
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 01:39:31 »
Look at all these people who can have wrist rests! 
Meanwhile my vision is crap without glasses so I have to put the laptop screen as close as possible (i.e. keyboard on top on the edge of the table). I don't have a problem floating, due to some nice adjustable arm rests on my 'gaming chair'.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 07:28:42 »
I put my space bar in its normal orientation yesterday and I confirmed again that keep i flipped makes sense. The space bar in its flipped position allows you to keep its top surface in parallel to your thumb, in its normal orientation you hit its angle, and that feels uncomfortable. This morning I just rotated it again, and I felt at home, again.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 09:54:43 »
I put my space bar in its normal orientation yesterday and I confirmed again that keep i flipped makes sense. The space bar in its flipped position allows you to keep its top surface in parallel to your thumb, in its normal orientation you hit its angle, and that feels uncomfortable. This morning I just rotated it again, and I felt at home, again.

Just lift your wrists more and then the space bar wouldn't need flipped. It's all personal preference but if you have good posture and lift your wrists or use a wrist rest then there should be no need to flip the space bar.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 09:59:57 »
How high are your wrist rests?!?