Author Topic: Elite Keyboards stock  (Read 9782 times)

Offline kinetic

Elite Keyboards stock
« on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 20:51:39 »
Hi all,

I posted this question in the new member section, but figured this was probably a better place to ask this.  How frequent and accurate are the restock estimates on the EK site?  Do you guys normally pre order or just wait for the site to get updated?  I've been waiting for the topre all 55g to get in stock and wasn't sure if it was already sold out via pre orders.   Thanks!

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Elite Keyboards stock
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 21:05:03 »
I usually send them an email to ask when exactly it is coming in, and they reply in a day or two!

Offline kinetic

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 21:45:22 »
Strange, I did the same and they never got back to me.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 21:54:45 »
They are very reliable and a great source for Topre. But the stock is never updated on the website and emails can take up to 5 days some times. So I always buy the part and at worst you can get on back order or refunded. I had white blanks on backorder for the past few weeks, just got them and they are amazing.  :cool:

Offline steve.v

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 23:18:44 »
Purchased mine earlier in the year via preordered. The stock dates were spot on.

Offline kinetic

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 23:27:14 »
Thanks guys.  Might as well pull the trigger now just in case they sell out before I get one!

Offline kinetic

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 23:31:16 »
Aaaaaand... their Website's down.  Bummer.

EDIT: Just tried to order, but it won't let me since the item is not available.  Do I need to call them to place a pre-order?  Strange that it lets me add it to the cart.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 September 2015, 23:41:06 by kinetic »

Offline steve.v

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 20:37:31 »
I apologize, as a correction I did not preorder my hhkb. I actually made the purchase on the date that was specified as available; thats when they can process the order I believe. I received the keyboard within a week.

Offline Aengus

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 22:00:35 »
Kinectic, I am waiting on the realforce 87u 55g from EK as well.  I actually asked the same question on reddit earlier this evening and I was told that the dates listed are usually pretty accurate but are sometimes off by half a month or so. 

I emailed EK last week and have not heard anything back yet, so its not just you.  Hopefully we'll hear back soon and get our realforces ASAP.  Out of curiosity, are you thinking of getting the white or black version? I am leaning towards the black, but still haven't decided.

Offline kinetic

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 23:33:26 »
Out of curiosity, are you thinking of getting the white or black version? I am leaning towards the black, but still haven't decided.

I'm also leaning towards the black. If I fall in love with it, I may also get a white one for home (where the ambient lighting is usually darker than my office at work).

I apologize, as a correction I did not preorder my hhkb. I actually made the purchase on the date that was specified as available; thats when they can process the order I believe. I received the keyboard within a week.

Ah, that makes sense.  Thanks for the clarification.

Offline yomammary

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 07:23:07 »
I ordered my RF 55g from amazon.co.jp and it shipped to my proxy last week. EK should get some pretty soon IMO.
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 07:44:58 »
Aren't the docks in LA still backed up due to the strike from earlier this year? IIRC, its was going to take at least 6 months to get caught up. Could still be seeing issues stemming from that.

Keep in mind that using a proxy will be air mailed. Goods going to a vendor are sent via sea. So, if Japan is just now getting goods, it'll be another 2 weeks before the vendors in the states get them.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline kinetic

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 09:47:17 »
I ordered my RF 55g from amazon.co.jp and it shipped to my proxy last week. EK should get some pretty soon IMO.

I recall seeing a couple 55g's on the US Amazon site that even included Prime shipping and free returns.  I was hesitant to pull the trigger, however, since the seller only had 1 rating.  I believe it was priced around $290, but it looks like they're all gone now.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 10:16:38 »
I recall seeing a couple 55g's on the US Amazon site that even included Prime shipping and free returns.  I was hesitant to pull the trigger, however, since the seller only had 1 rating.  I believe it was priced around $290, but it looks like they're all gone now.

If a product is fulfilled by Amazon, you're covered by their return policy if something should go wrong. That said, unless you were in a super-hurry to get it, it would be cheaper to use a proxy service and import the keyboard from Japan.

Offline Aengus

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 13:32:28 »

Yea, last week there were two  87u 55g - blacks in stock for $260 with Amazon Prime, but unfortunately they sold out before I decided to pull the trigger.

If a product is fulfilled by Amazon, you're covered by their return policy if something should go wrong. That said, unless you were in a super-hurry to get it, it would be cheaper to use a proxy service and import the keyboard from Japan.

Any recommendations on a proxy service? And how cheap are we talking typically? I have never used a proxy service and not too familiar with how the process goes, the risks, etc.

Offline steve.v

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 18:55:17 »

Yea, last week there were two  87u 55g - blacks in stock for $260 with Amazon Prime, but unfortunately they sold out before I decided to pull the trigger.

Any recommendations on a proxy service? And how cheap are we talking typically? I have never used a proxy service and not too familiar with how the process goes, the risks, etc.

I signed up for tenso but decided to buy thru ek. The guy talks a little bit about the service at :55 secs.

Offline senar

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 13:05:12 »
Just got a 87u 55g and I'm absolutely loving it!  First experience with Topre and coming from MX browns it's night and day.  The only downside is now I want another for home...

Offline ryahirv

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 16:14:46 »
I have an 87U Variable Silent & a 55G next to each other...

..and I'm so frustrated - I literally can't decide which one I like more.

Like so many here, the plan was to try the boards I was considering and then sell the other one.....and I simply can't decide.
:-(  haha

Offline kinetic

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 21:56:17 »
Back on topic regarding Elite Keyboards, I'm seriously considering going the proxy route.  For some reason, the fact that an email 10 days old and another 4 days old never got a response left a bad taste in my mouth.  I thought EK was supposed to be all about their customers?  Have they really fallen off since then?  I'm really trying to give them my money... but I suppose they don't care?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 06:18:09 »
Back on topic regarding Elite Keyboards, I'm seriously considering going the proxy route.  For some reason, the fact that an email 10 days old and another 4 days old never got a response left a bad taste in my mouth.  I thought EK was supposed to be all about their customers?  Have they really fallen off since then?  I'm really trying to give them my money... but I suppose they don't care?

The owner is a real flake, to say the least - hence best to spend your money elsewhere.

Stopped buying from them years ago and still managed to amass a good selection of Thorpies and their particular Coloured Key-caps via Ebay and Tenso with such ease.  If an owner of a business seems suspect there are always other sellers more sane and reputable to supply you with what you need  :thumb: .

Offline Aengus

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 08:01:16 »

I got an email response from EK this morning saying that they should be in stock next week and that he would let me know.  Elrick's post makes me a little nervous, but I feel like EK is only half as inconvenient as using a proxy.

Offline kinetic

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 10:11:33 »
I've signed up for Tenso. Yes, EK has finally gotten back to me as well (although I don't think they said anything about it being in next week).  If I actually do get an email next week about stock, I'll be purchasing from them.  Otherwise, proxy it is. 

The positive note with EK is that their prices are quite reasonable (at least for this particular board).  On Amazon Japan, the 55g is going for around $182.00 before shipping.

Let's see if we get that email next week!

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 11:51:37 »

The owner is a real flake, to say the least - hence best to spend your money elsewhere.

Stopped buying from them years ago and still managed to amass a good selection of Thorpies and their particular Coloured Key-caps via Ebay and Tenso with such ease.  If an owner of a business seems suspect there are always other sellers more sane and reputable to supply you with what you need  :thumb: .

I have to take issue with your statement about the owner being a flake. I have placed about 10 orders with EK over the years and never had a problem. I have friends with the same experience. I also had the opportunity to work with the owner on a software project for his company and found him to be a man of integrity and very professional.

If your emails didn't get a response, I'd guess that is because everybody is emailing with the same questions about stock. The problem seems to be Realforce supply. EK would have the product if it were available. Maybe you should be directing your frustration at Leopold, the makers of Realforce keyboards.

Offline yomammary

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 13:11:48 »
I always got an answer from EK and bought stuff from him 1 time with no issue, but when someone emails you should always answer it.
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 13:14:19 »

Elrick is probably drinking at the keyboard again. Never had an issue with Brian @ EK and probably made 10+ purchases from his site. Quick shipping, great communication, solid dude.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 02:35:27 »
Elrick is probably drinking at the keyboard again. Never had an issue with Brian @ EK and probably made 10+ purchases from his site. Quick shipping, great communication, solid dude.

Bullsh1t, he doesn't like shipping to my country and when it comes to dealing with any emails, he ignores complaints quite easily.  That was why I stopped trying to buy anything off him, better to deal with other retailers (sane) who are willing to sell to foreigners with no hang ups at all.

Even Canadian Sellers are great to deal with here, they send their keyboards over rather quickly with no lame excuses provided, unlike what Brian is famous for when he drops his balls in handling any basic order.  That is why it's better to deal with others that get the job of selling RF gear easily with no hassles.

I know Brain has cultivated some shills here to support his business, so if he delivered for you then please leave your tongue where it belongs up his bloated a**.  But don't try to paint universal praise upon someone who has failed to do the basic job of selling RF gear around the world, because it seems to be beyond his capabilities.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 September 2015, 04:15:29 by Elrick »

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
Elite Keyboards stock
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 04:12:03 »

Bullsh1t, he doesn't like shipping to my country and when it comes to dealing with any emails, he ignores complaints quite easily.  That was why I stopped trying to buy anything off him, better to deal with other retailers (sane) who are willing to sell to foreigners with no hang ups at all.

Even Canadian Sellers are great to deal with here, they send their keyboards over rather quickly with no lame excuses provided, unlike what Brian is famous for when he drops his balls in handling any basic order.  That is why it's better to deal with others that get the job of selling RF gear easily with no hassles.

I know Brain has cultivated some shills here to support his business, so if he delivered for you then please leave your tongue where it belongs up his bloated a--.  But don't try to paint universal praise upon someone who has failed to do the basic job of selling RF gear around the world, because it seems to be beyond his capabilities.

They only ship me one esc when I pay for two... and haven't answered any of my emails (it's been a week).

Edit: upon emailing Brian directly, he shipped out the missing key immediately, all is well :v
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 September 2015, 05:07:40 by KatzenKinder »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 05:57:41 »
Just got a 87u 55g and I'm absolutely loving it!  First experience with Topre and coming from MX browns it's night and day.  The only downside is now I want another for home...

Welcome to Geekhack!

And welcome to the Topre addiction :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 13:54:43 »

I know Brain has cultivated some shills here to support his business, so if he delivered for you then please leave your tongue where it belongs up his bloated a**.  But don't try to paint universal praise upon someone who has failed to do the basic job of selling RF gear around the world, because it seems to be beyond his capabilities.

UNIVERSAL PRAISE FOR BRIAN @ EK

UMAD?

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 17:07:33 »

Us Canadians know how to do it right! :thumb:

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline kinetic

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 08:40:54 »
Has anyone ever bought a new Realforce from eBay?  Just wondering which sellers on there would be good to purchase from (if not now, then in the future).

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 09:15:38 »
Has anyone ever bought a new Realforce from eBay?  Just wondering which sellers on there would be good to purchase from (if not now, then in the future).

I bought my 10th Anniversary Realforce from eBay seller widebasket out of S. Korea. Those are the only Realforce models they sell, and they cost almost $400. For one of the regular models, just look for any eBay seller that has a feedback score of 99.5% or higher. Australia-based seller MechKB seems to have a pretty-solid reputation. Their shipping charge looks kind of high, but they do use express service, so you would have a tracking number and probably have it arrive to your door in 5-10 business days, depending on where you live.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 11:08:11 »

I have had nothing but a positive buying experience from brian....

someone is salty

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 11:17:51 »
FWIW, I never had to email EK , when I ordered my Realforce and a red ESC key separately, Brian even combined my shipping and refunded the difference  :) , also ordered my HHKB from them as well.  So I guess I have positive things to say about the site, but can't comment on direct communication. I'm also on the East Coast of the US.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 11:20:43 »
FWIW, I never had to email EK , when I ordered my Realforce and a red ESC key separately, Brian even combined my shipping and refunded the difference  :) , also ordered my HHKB from them as well.  So I guess I have positive things to say about the site, but can't comment on direct communication. I'm also on the East Coast of the US.

seeing as he says things like this "I know Brain has cultivated some shills here to support his business, so if he delivered for you then please leave your tongue where it belongs up his bloated a**."

I can see why someone would be hesitant to email him back.

Edit: Grammer

Offline Bucake

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 11:46:32 »

i purchased this yesterday (Realforce SE18T0 - US $262.99, FREE Economy Int'l Shipping): http://www.ebay.com/itm/111778667455?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
(i've also worked out a bonus deal, i'm pretty sure i'm not allowed to discuss.)

the seller was very quick to answer my messages and he immediately worked out the issues. despite his engrish, communication was actually very good.
now, the keyboard hasn't actually arrived yet, so i can't vouch for the seller just yet. but, so far, it looks great.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 September 2015, 11:48:09 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline kinetic

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 13:00:45 »

i purchased this yesterday (Realforce SE18T0 - US $262.99, FREE Economy Int'l Shipping): http://www.ebay.com/itm/111778667455?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
(i've also worked out a bonus deal, i'm pretty sure i'm not allowed to discuss.)

the seller was very quick to answer my messages and he immediately worked out the issues. despite his engrish, communication was actually very good.
now, the keyboard hasn't actually arrived yet, so i can't vouch for the seller just yet. but, so far, it looks great.

Sounds promising.  Let me know what happens when you get the board!

Offline Bucake

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 16:16:58 »
will do! :)

edit: should arrive between 4th and 7th of october
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 September 2015, 04:44:49 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline jamster

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 21:58:25 »

<snip for brevity>

My one and only transaction with EK to date:

EK slightly screwed up an order for me. Brian apologised and acknowledged his error within 24 hours (I am in an timezone 12 hours out from him) and had it corrected, taking a slight loss on his part iirc.

He has responded with varying promptness on my questions regarding RF stock, but this has been the same case with other RF suppliers who I have contacted in other countries.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 September 2015, 22:01:47 by jamster »

Offline kinetic

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 20:42:01 »
So I was able to complete an order on EK for the 55g even though it still said "out of stock".  It previously wouldn't let me pay because it wasn't in stock... hopefully it wasn't a glitch in the system and they actually DO have them.  We'll see...

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 20:57:13 »
So I was able to complete an order on EK for the 55g even though it still said "out of stock".  It previously wouldn't let me pay because it wasn't in stock... hopefully it wasn't a glitch in the system and they actually DO have them.  We'll see...

Usually EK will do "pre-orders" of OOS items shortly before a shipment arrives, so I'd say the odds are pretty good that you'll be getting your goods in a reasonable amount of time.

Offline Aengus

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 22:34:34 »

Haha, I thought I was obsessive by refreshing EK website every hour to see if it still said out of stock.  I am glad you took it one step further and tried to get the order to go through! I just did placed my order as well and hopefully well be typing on some RFs by next week  :D

Offline kinetic

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 23:16:06 »

Haha, I thought I was obsessive by refreshing EK website every hour to see if it still said out of stock.  I am glad you took it one step further and tried to get the order to go through! I just did placed my order as well and hopefully well be typing on some RFs friend,,,, t week  :D

My friend, you have no idea.  I was in some VERY important meetings at work today,  but still snuck in a few browser refreshes on my phone. 

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 04:11:45 »
The 55g uniform (black for sure and I believe white) are back in stock.

You can place an order for one now even though it says out of stock

The stock status should change in 10(?) or so hours.

:)

Offline jamster

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 08:54:06 »
The 55g uniform (black for sure and I believe white) are back in stock.

You can place an order for one now even though it says out of stock

The stock status should change in 10(?) or so hours.

:)

The whites should be in too. I had an update via email, and placed an order.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 09:24:25 »
Looks like Brian is going to be a pretty busy guy getting orders packed and shipped today as I placed an order last night as well. Not for a Realforce keyboard, but still...

Offline kinetic

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 09:42:29 »
Indeed!  I live about 45 min from his storefront, but his hours make it tough for me to pick it up in person.  There's also that notorious LA traffic...

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 09:54:58 »
Indeed!  I live about 45 min from his storefront, but his hours make it tough for me to pick it up in person.  There's also that notorious LA traffic...

I've taken at least 2 dozen business trips to LA. One time, I was going from LAX to Century City and was on the 405 at about 4:00 in the afternoon. It took over an hour and a half to go those roughly 11 miles.

Offline Cebu

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 11:02:45 »
I'm going to place an order in for the White 55g even though it says out of stock, here's hoping that I get one. I've been eager to get a high quality topre keyboard.

I actually sent EK support an email 2 hours ago about pre-ordering even if it says OUT OF STOCK. Not sure if they'll respond, I expect them to be busy.

Offline kinetic

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 20:45:04 »
Shipped! Should be here tomorrow.  Just received my Leopold today so should be interesting to compare them.