Author Topic: Difficulty of/Difference with Hypersphere's Topre Silencing Ring Mod  (Read 7591 times)

Offline Aengus

Hey all,

I just ordered a RF 87u 55g and was thinking of also ordering hypersphere's silencing rings to put on the sliders once I receive the keyboard.  I have seen a few posts on GH talking very positively about the silencing rings, but I was wondering two things since I am such a noob :-[ :

1) How difficult is this mod? This will be my first time opening up a keyboard so I am a bit nervous about messing things up, but I feel like I am capable.  I am basically removing a bunch of little screws and removing the case, and then removing each topre slider and placing the ring on the slider and putting the slider back, yea? I am correct that this does not sound TOO bad?

2) Does the mod make a noticeable difference? The "silenced" aspect is that the keys are quieter on their way back up after being pressed I believe.  Is it a big difference in sounds? Everything I read makes it seem like people prefer the sound silenced, but has anyone regretted using the silencing rings for any reason?

Offline tararais

• Forum Justice Warrior
Re: Difficulty of/Difference with Hypersphere's Topre Silencing Ring Mod
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 23:05:16 »
I'm not 100% sure on Hypersphere's mod specifically, but every Topre silencing mod involves exactly as you mentioned, opening up the case and inserting the silencing pads. 
It's certainly a matter of preference; I use factory-silenced Topre switches, and they lack the audible thock of the Topre, but feel nice and organic. Pretty much the difference between MX Blues and Browns; if you like the nice audible feedback, don't silence it (I used dental bands and those were pretty crappy), but regardless you should try it out before you mod!

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 23:17:14 »
Really? To me, the thock sounds even clearer and really quite nice, it just removes the clack sound of the upstroke.

Oh and as far as taking apart a realforce 87u
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 October 2015, 23:20:34 by Air tree »

Offline raymogi

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 23:21:01 »
It's not hard at all. The most terrifying part if you're a first timer, is when you have to push the slider out of the case. It will break just a tiny bit of the plastic but it's totally fine.

Yes it's a very noticeable difference in sound. No more clacking, just pure thock thock thock.

I didn't regret doing it at all. I have a HHKB Type-S and I love the sound of it so I bought the rings and did a mod to my black HHKB (with 55g domes) and it's heavenly now. I just ordered the 107 pack of rings again to mod my 55g 10th AE board.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline jiexi

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 11:52:52 »
Can anyone who has used Hypersphere's silencing rings and has also done the landing pad mod chime in?

Offline raymogi

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 11:57:45 »
It's as close as you can get to the stock Type-S sound and feel.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 10:29:28 »
Can you please share the link for purchasing those silent rings? I'd like to try it on my topre board. Thanks
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 10:35:50 »
Can you please share the link for purchasing those silent rings? I'd like to try it on my topre board. Thanks

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73940.0

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 11:02:10 »
Currently, my HHKB has Hypersphere's rings on it, and the qwerty portion of my girl's Novatouch. As mentioned, the thock is the same, but the clack is pretty much gone.

The Topre sliders have a nub on the end to keep the sliders in place when the keyboard is apart. That's what raymogi was referring to. If you want to take an extra few seconds per slider, a razor or similarly sharp knife can be used to 'trim' the nub, so they still snap into place.

This is the best photo I could find on Google depicting the nub:

The nub serves absolutely no purpose when the keyboard is together. Note, the above is a Novatouch topre slider, which has smaller nubs. The Realforce slider nubs are slightly larger. And obviously don't have the MX compatible portion in the middle :)

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline Aengus

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 23:20:06 »
Sorry for disappearing for a few days after creating the post, I took a mini vacation and wasn't able to check my computer too much.  Anyway, thanks for all the info everybody.  The disassembly video was really helpful too to actual see what needs to be done.  To get the sliders out I would need to take all the keys off in addition though, which makes me a bit nervous.  Any recommendations on a good keycap puller? Or keycap pullers not to buy? I know the one that comes with the RF doesn't have a good reputation.  I definitely plan on putting the silencers in at some point, but I am on the fence on whether I should experience listening to the thock-clack of the board for a while before attempting the mod or if I should put the silencers in immediately since I will be bringing the keyboard to work so 1) quieter is better and 2) I wont have to bring it back home down the road to put the rings in.  My RF should be coming in Wednesday and I can't wait for the feels   :D

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 00:30:30 »
Sorry for disappearing for a few days after creating the post, I took a mini vacation and wasn't able to check my computer too much.  Anyway, thanks for all the info everybody.  The disassembly video was really helpful too to actual see what needs to be done.  To get the sliders out I would need to take all the keys off in addition though, which makes me a bit nervous.  Any recommendations on a good keycap puller? Or keycap pullers not to buy? I know the one that comes with the RF doesn't have a good reputation.  I definitely plan on putting the silencers in at some point, but I am on the fence on whether I should experience listening to the thock-clack of the board for a while before attempting the mod or if I should put the silencers in immediately since I will be bringing the keyboard to work so 1) quieter is better and 2) I wont have to bring it back home down the road to put the rings in.  My RF should be coming in Wednesday and I can't wait for the feels   :D
Any wire keycap puller should work just fine.
This one is good enough
http://www.amazon.com/Max-Keyboard-Steel-Wire-Puller/dp/B00TAUJDJK/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1444109300&sr=1-2-fkmr2&keywords=MKC+wire+puller

For the spacebar, just remove the keys that surround it, and put your thumbs under each side and pull it off. Watch out for the spring that is under the spacebar, it likes to fly off, just be careful.  :p

Offline Aengus

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 10:51:29 »

Any wire keycap puller should work just fine.
This one is good enough
http://www.amazon.com/Max-Keyboard-Steel-Wire-Puller/dp/B00TAUJDJK/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1444109300&sr=1-2-fkmr2&keywords=MKC+wire+puller

For the spacebar, just remove the keys that surround it, and put your thumbs under each side and pull it off. Watch out for the spring that is under the spacebar, it likes to fly off, just be careful.  :p

Ok great thanks. I will order that keycap puller (thanks Prime!) .  My RF 87u 55g is arriving today and my biggest concern throughout my work day is that the delivery guy is going to require a signature and I'll come home to only a slip of paper  :'(

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 20:38:07 »
Damn it now I really want this, what to do..........

I tried Topre silent in Japan and really loved it !!!

But the price of these rings !!!  What to do !!!

:confused:

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 20:58:06 »

Ok great thanks. I will order that keycap puller (thanks Prime!) .  My RF 87u 55g is arriving today and my biggest concern throughout my work day is that the delivery guy is going to require a signature and I'll come home to only a slip of paper  :'(

If this isn't an international package and being shipped through USPS, sign up for My USPS - you can set delivery instructions for packages. I have to do this for every package because my local branch is so hit or miss.

I don't know why I can't manage international packages though, probably because most tracked packages are signature confirmation.

Edit: Oops, just saw this was from a few days ago...hope you got the board. And good info for the future :)