Author Topic: Amcol keyboard?  (Read 2933 times)

Offline sandric

Amcol keyboard?
« on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 13:15:26 »
Hey there. Does anyone knows anything about this keyboard?

I found it here http://dnepropetrovsk.dnp.olx.ua/obyavlenie/klaviatura-vintazhnaya-amcol-IDdgzy9.html#505578a3bf - this is smth like Ukrainian ebay, but I can't find no info whatsoever about it. Anyone know is it mechanical or membrane? If yes - what switches. Thx.

Offline BucklingSpring

Re: Amcol keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 15:10:43 »
The closest thing I found was "AMCOL ELECTRONICS" - Formed in 1971 and dissolved in 1982.

I can't say if membrane or mechanic. Although I doubt it's a mechanic keyboard.
Ask the seller to pop out a key and show the stem/switch under.

One thing for sure, the brand is an oddity in itself.
I can't tell either if it was made by or for Amcol. (Most likely for them by a better known company)
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 October 2015, 15:12:14 by BucklingSpring »
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline sandric

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 23:13:04 »
Ah, he's some strange guy - he says it doesn't pop's out so he gave me an a little discount just to take it away. The thing is I need no one more old keyboard.. So I think I'll won't make deal, thanks anyway!

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 07:57:01 »
I don't know why, but this thing looks familiar and for some reason something tells me it was good to type on. 

Where is the guy?  Someone local should go check it out for gh sake. :)

Offline sandric

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 08:52:46 »
I already bought it and just for anyone not to be confused about it - its simple rubber dome one. Well, almost, except it have strange unnecessary detail that connect keycap to the rubber dome - white rectangle that make it looks like white alps mechanical one. Pretty strange design I must say, looks like they wanted it to look like alps-like keyboard haha)) Anyway, I find it pretty good to type actually.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 19:13:25 »
Cool!  Is it a keeper?

Offline sandric

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 09:45:57 »
Cool!  Is it a keeper?

Sorry, didn't get your question. I finally get to make some photos in case smbd interested, one from back side inside kb, others showing keycaps and this strange white piece between keycap and rubber band:

And sorry for blur in images, did my best(.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 09:49:12 »
Weird but cool. Looks like Alps sliders over rubber domes. I bet you could use those caps on Alps-mount keyboards.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 09:58:48 »
I'm sure I've seen those case-integrated Alps-like rubber domes before, but I can't remember where. As I recall they have no affiliation with Alps though.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 12:51:31 »
Those alps mounts are pretty nifty. I think it's pretty. Possible to salvage them for something else.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 13:56:02 »
The case/mounting looks pretty much like Tai Hao / APC semi-mechanical keyboards.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 15:15:07 »
Cool!  Is it a keeper?

Sorry, didn't get your question. I finally get to make some photos in case smbd interested, one from back side inside kb, others showing keycaps and this strange white piece between keycap and rubber band:
Sorry, just meant to ask if it's a good enough board to keep.

Great pictures!  That's a very interesting slider system over the rubber domes.  I wonder why they did that back in the day?  Only thing I can think of is that alps keycaps were cheaper than making their own and a stem.

Offline sandric

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 02:14:58 »
Cool!  Is it a keeper?

Sorry, just meant to ask if it's a good enough board to keep.

Great pictures!  That's a very interesting slider system over the rubber domes.  I wonder why they did that back in the day?  Only thing I can think of is that alps keycaps were cheaper than making their own and a stem.

I really do not know either! Its total mystery for me, but in case of your theory of alps keycaps - I realized I haven't made keycap inside photo, so here it is in case its alps-compatible and anyone search for those this could be helpful:

As to keep it or not - well I don't know actually, as for me feeling of keypressing is pretty good - I like when its easy and you have not to push too hard, but I must say its pretty useless for me, because I'm using my own layout smth similar to planck keyboard with colemak, so I will not be using it anyway I guess. May be take some parts from it for my future project - plastic plate and wire (I always liked those retro spring-like wires haha), I took it for like 4 bucks, so I'm not too sorry about that deal))

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 07:52:37 »
It's interesting how even the rubber domes of yesteryear were better than most rd's today.  That's a steal at $4.  It would be interesting just to keep as is.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 07:55:34 »
Yup, looks like those caps will work with Alps-mount switches.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 08:37:30 »
Those are some sweet alps caps! Too bad about the switches. I'd definitely swap those alphas into a nice alps board.

Offline sandric

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 09:31:22 »
Those are some sweet alps caps! Too bad about the switches. I'd definitely swap those alphas into a nice alps board.

Well, if you want, I can give it to you, I have nothing to do with this keyboard anyway. The only thing that, as I discovered recently, delivery rating from Ukraine is IDK why is pretty high, if anyone need those and you can pay delivery costs, I can send those to you.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 09:35:21 »

Well, if you want, I can give it to you, I have nothing to do with this keyboard anyway. The only thing that, as I discovered recently, delivery rating from Ukraine is IDK why is pretty high, if anyone need those and you can pay delivery costs, I can send those to you.

Mighty nice of you, but I do think shipping from the Ukraine to the US would kill it for me. Though I think that people from Europe would be more than willing to purchase them from you. I think I saw you post on DT and I'm sure there are a few people there who would buy them from you.

Offline sandric

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 09:47:46 »

Mighty nice of you, but I do think shipping from the Ukraine to the US would kill it for me. Though I think that people from Europe would be more than willing to purchase them from you. I think I saw you post on DT and I'm sure there are a few people there who would buy them from you.

Oh, thanks, I think I should write there if anyone wants it! Yeah, I can imagine, it would be pretty looong journey))

Offline tararais

• Forum Justice Warrior
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 22:30:05 »
Nngh, rubber domes with great caps. Like putting caviar on chips.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 22:16:22 »
haha, well said!

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 11:40:10 »
haha, well said!

Putting caviar on chips... LoL we do it cause we can!

Great find anyway as not only the brand is merely unknown but the switch hasn't been positively identified either.

That is a kewl board bro  :cool:
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 October 2015, 11:42:29 by BucklingSpring »
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)