Author Topic: [GB] GMK Peaches n Cream (CLOSED)  (Read 132887 times)

Offline jymv

Re: [GB] GMK Peaches n Cream (Shipping to buyers)
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 08:12:20 »
I think the set looks great. Very cute. But I would have preferred the render version. The mods are more like neon orange than any shade of peach

Offline gasp

• Formerly 'boop' (NTBCW Booper)
    • none
« Reply #151 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 13:23:38 »
I think the set looks great. Very cute. But I would have preferred the render version. The mods are more like neon orange than any shade of peach

Agreed wholeheartedly. If you told me this was the taihao version of pnc I wouldn't question it. I'm glad to see that the color story is still peachy rather than the yellow tones other pictures were showing, but the saturation compared to the renders is ridiculous. It would be nice to have color codes to reference in the future.

Offline Rensuya

• Blue is my spirit animal
    • Link to the discord!
« Reply #152 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 14:34:07 »
Glad to see more people are finally getting their sets! Big thanks to everyone who participated in the GB, here are some pics I took on some of my boards  ;D

Offline rxc92

« Reply #153 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 18:50:44 »
I guess we all know what kind of guy you are now, huh?  ;)

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #154 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 19:38:37 »

Offline bliss

« Reply #155 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 03:21:55 »

Offline quadrotiles

« Reply #156 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 11:45:32 »
I am feeling really confused. My set of peaches n cream arrived today and mine looks like none of these photos. The modifiers are light neon orange and not this yellow-y creamy orange that everyone else is posting. The darker, pinker accents are similar, so they look fine but I don't understand how my mods look so different.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #157 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 16:05:44 »
Glad to see more people are finally getting their sets! Big thanks to everyone who participated in the GB, here are some pics I took on some of my boards  ;D

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks like Tiny hit it out of the park once again!
Waiting patiently for my set to arrive. Unfortunately, it looks like the artisans have been delayed for us EU folk due to a miscommunication. Hoping I don't have to wait for too long. And, most of all, hoping I'll like the set's colors when I see it irl.

Offline typischt

[GB] GMK Peaches n Cream (Shipping to buyers)
« Reply #158 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 09:53:06 »
I received my set yesterday or so and I also have to say, that it‘s not too close to the renders in the OP.
That being said: The actual mod colors are insane and I love it!
Not to worry anyone who hasn’t received their set yet, but it‘s pretty „neon-y“ and therefore I really love it. Not sure how the accent colors will look on a board and not sure, how much I like them. But overall I‘m really happy with the set. I‘d also be down with the more pastel-y colors from the render (even if it ran as another set, haha ;)) since I find pastel really nice.
And in my opinion, the photos posted by bliss are quite accurate, especially the mod colors.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 May 2020, 12:45:06 by typischt »

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
« Reply #159 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 10:47:58 »
A small update to some people, we have some QC issues reported on deskmats, many of you will not get their deskmats just yet, will reach out to confirm with the people responsible to get new mats in.
The CandyKeys Mechanical Keyboard Store

Offline tunadesu

« Reply #160 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 12:40:24 »
Yeah I agree with what people are saying about the colors for the most part. Like, it does look great! But If the renders looked like what I actually got, I probably wouldn't have bought. No offence at all, just saying the muted oranges were the turn on

Offline kitty

« Reply #161 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 03:28:09 »
Waiting patiently for my set to arrive. Unfortunately, it looks like the artisans have been delayed for us EU folk due to a miscommunication. Hoping I don't have to wait for too long. And, most of all, hoping I'll like the set's colors when I see it irl.

ooh, where did you get the info about artisans being delayed? i'm in australia and still waiting for mine :')

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #162 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 08:36:49 »

ooh, where did you get the info about artisans being delayed? i'm in australia and still waiting for mine :')

I can only speak for EU people. I was told this by CandyKeys.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #163 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 06:09:36 »
what's the deal with runners that mess up acting as if everything is just peachy

Jessica to this day will claim that necro is perfect

Offline whitty

• Formerly dsw_408
« Reply #164 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 06:27:53 »
what's the deal with runners that mess up acting as if everything is just peachy

Nice pun

Offline quadrotiles

« Reply #165 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 08:50:44 »

Whoa, that's crazy. I've seen pictures of necro a bunch of times, but never the original renders. It's pretty different!
I don't know what could be done now, though, now that the gb is basically complete :/

Offline bliss

« Reply #166 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 13:43:12 »

... while this set luckily sits nicely in front of me right now and extras are sold out, the whole color matching process was far from optimal and its apparent complexity is a mystery to me...

Picked a different board than originally planned and looks fine, but others may experience a chromatic clash in that regard.

That said, cannot wait to shine it by using it extensively :)

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #167 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 13:49:41 »
haven't received my set yet, but looking through the thread, the first samples looked much closer to the renders imo.

Offline J3ff_Leopard

• Wishlist
« Reply #168 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 08:44:09 »

Kinda the pot calling the kettle black, no??
WTB Resin Cast Click Clack Leaf

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #169 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 09:34:00 »

no? where did I mess up and act like everything was fine and ignore criticism?

Offline MacGyver214

« Reply #170 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 13:16:34 »

... while this set luckily sits nicely in front of me right now and extras are sold out, the whole color matching process was far from optimal and its apparent complexity is a mystery to me...

Picked a different board than originally planned and looks fine, but others may experience a chromatic clash in that regard.

That said, cannot wait to shine it by using it extensively :)

aww man wait, when did extras get sold out, when did extras even go up for sale? :(

Offline J3ff_Leopard

• Wishlist
« Reply #171 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 19:37:31 »

I guess with Firefly on indefinite delay we'll just have to wait and see. Still super weird to throw shade when you've been absolutely less than perfect yourself as a designer. Did you even buy this set?

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #172 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 23:42:38 »

I guess with Firefly on indefinite delay we'll just have to wait and see. Still super weird to throw shade when you've been absolutely less than perfect yourself as a designer. Did you even buy this set?

What? Everyone makes mistakes. With firefly I was quick to inform everyone of what is going on and what is being done about it. Did you even try reading what I wrote? What I said was that there is a trend of designers acting as if nothing is wrong when there clearly is something wrong. Despite many customers reporting that the set isn't like the renders rensuya claims the opposite. Do you understand what I'm trying to say now?

Offline J3ff_Leopard

• Wishlist
« Reply #173 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 00:45:51 »

What? Everyone makes mistakes. With firefly I was quick to inform everyone of what is going on and what is being done about it. Did you even try reading what I wrote? What I said was that there is a trend of designers acting as if nothing is wrong when there clearly is something wrong. Despite many customers reporting that the set isn't like the renders rensuya claims the opposite. Do you understand what I'm trying to say now?

I'm not defending Ren or the set, the colors are off from the renders in my opinion as well. That being said, I still actually enjoy it. The point I was making is that it's odd to see the criticism coming from you, specifically. I'm sitting here with a Kono receipt and fingers crossed. Really hopeful for Firefly to look identical to the renders. And if they're not, then I'm hopeful I can be as forgiving. So again, Pot and Kettle, wait and see.

Offline Armaguard

« Reply #174 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 01:22:38 »
Big agree that the colours are not at all like renders. I’ll take some pictures later but my caps are very vibrant. The draw of this set was the pastel/faded orange which is a pretty stark difference to what I’ve got sitting in front of me.
I think I’ll be letting this one go unfortunately. Bit disappointing the difference between what was designed and reality.
I’d be happy if mine looked like some of the pictures posted but that’s simply not the case.

Offline Armaguard

« Reply #175 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 07:31:45 »
Big agree that the colours are not at all like renders. I’ll take some pictures later but my caps are very vibrant. The draw of this set was the pastel/faded orange which is a pretty stark difference to what I’ve got sitting in front of me.
I think I’ll be letting this one go unfortunately. Bit disappointing the difference between what was designed and reality.
I’d be happy if mine looked like some of the pictures posted but that’s simply not the case.

This is as close to real life as I could get with just my phone. But it's quite close with the caps being only slightly more orange on the sides in the image

I am feeling really confused. My set of peaches n cream arrived today and mine looks like none of these photos. The modifiers are light neon orange and not this yellow-y creamy orange that everyone else is posting. The darker, pinker accents are similar, so they look fine but I don't understand how my mods look so different.

I know how you feel. I don't know how other people look so dramatically different

Offline senryo

• Problems are challenges.
    • Thic Thock
« Reply #176 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 08:33:38 »

This is as close to real life as I could get with just my phone. But it's quite close with the caps being only slightly more orange on the sides in the image

Show Image

I know how you feel. I don't know how other people look so dramatically different

To be fair, this isn't the first set, at least from my own point of view, that the actual sets designed by Ren are off colored to the original renders.

First Mizu

Render:

Actual:

Then now PnC

Render:

Actual:
credit to Maxferfra

Both shares similar characteristics in terms of the extend of color difference from its original renders - darker.

What I believe is that, if you as an author of the set, believed that the set should go on to a different path when you received the sample chip/key from manufacturer, you should let everyone knows and update the renders before the GB because that's what attracts others to support your project(s) in the first place. An author shouldn't change his direction when he receives everyone's monetary support and attempts on a bait and switch (forgive me if it sounds offensive, but in reality, that's what can be objectively seen as); rather, stick to what was offered to the table, the render's colors.

Ren has been trying to fend off this accusation by saying the colors are reflected differently under different lightings. I partly agree to this saying because lighting does affect colors. But at the end of the day, there is no denying that the colors are conspicuously differently from the renders regardless if the lighting is warm or cold, its just the colors are different, light versus dark, simple as that.

Some argue, its still very good looking.
This is not a valid argument to safeguard his work. It doesn't matter whether the outcome is good or not, its the attitude and quality of work he should ensure himself to uphold because at the end of the day, it's his supporters' whos helping to make this set become a reality. And let's look at this problem from a different perspective, let's say if this turns out very wrong, just like what happened to GMK Necro. Would you be as forgiving as you would? You see, its not about the outcome, not that its not important, but that the attitude and quality of work people entrusted Ren in the first place, he, at least from my point of view, betrays it.

It's very alarming to me that a keyset author has, again, from my point of view, screwed up 2 GMK sets on colorings (and I just did a brief research, to my surprise, there were only 2 sets designed by Ren that are out in the wild, that's a 100% screw up rate); I wanted to support community projects, but this is just something that makes me wonder if I should take part in any of Ren's GB in the future.

edit: to further validate my argument, yes, I have a PnC set as well. And to my eyes, its definitely not what was offered and I am to this day still very disappointed.

edit 2: further elaboration

edit 3: same ^
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 May 2020, 09:10:56 by senryo »

Offline Raravin

« Reply #177 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 08:52:01 »

Show Image

To be fair, this isn't the first set, at least from my own point of view, that the actual sets designed by Ren are off colored to the original renders.

First Mizu

Render:
Show Image

Actual:
Show Image

Then now PnC

Render:
Show Image

Actual:
Show Image

credit to Maxferfra

Both shares similar characteristics in terms of the extend of color difference from its original renders - darker.

What I believe is that, if you as an author of the set, believed that the set should go on to a different path when you received the sample chip/key from manufacturer, you should let everyone knows and update the renders before the GB because that's what attracts others to support your project(s) in the first place. An author shouldn't change his direction when he receives everyone's monetary support and attempts on a bait and switch (forgive me if it sounds offensive, but in reality, that's what can be objectively seen as); rather, stick to what was offered to the table, the render's colors.

Ren has been trying to fend off this accusation by saying the colors are reflected differently under different lightings. I partly agree to this saying because lighting does affect colors. But at the end of the day, there is no denying that the colors are conspicuously differently from the renders regardless if the lighting is warm or cold, its just the colors are different, light versus dark, simple as that.

This is not a valid argument to safeguard his work. It doesn't matter whether the outcome is good or not, its the attitude and quality of work he should ensure himself to uphold because at the end of the day, it's his supporters' whos helping to make this set become a reality. And let's look at this problem from a different perspective, let's say if this turns out very wrong, just like what happened to GMK Necro. Would you be as forgiving as you would? You see, its not about the outcome, not that its not important, but that the attitude and quality of work people entrusted Ren in the first place, he, at least from my point of view, betrays it.

It's very alarming to me that a keyset author has, again, from my point of view, screwed up 2 GMK sets on colorings; I wanted to support community projects, but this is just something that makes me wonder if I should take part in any of Ren's GB in the future.

edit: to further validate my argument, yes, I have a PnC set as well. And to my eyes, its definitely not what was offered and I am to this day still very disappointed.

As an owner of Mizu at least I don't mind it being different then renders. There always has to be some expectation that renders can not ever be 1:1 of color. Can always try to get it as close in person, but if the colors are close to the actual RAL / Pantone chips or colors that you have in person to the ones you made the set with then it gets designed.

The same argument can be said with renders of my own issues with GMK Demon Sword and GMK Rudy where people were calling the navy the exact same. Where looking at in hand RAL book comparing colors they were 100% different but renders made them look similar.

Offline senryo

• Thic Thock
« Reply #178 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 09:05:54 »

First Mizu

Render:
Show Image

Actual:
Show Image

Then now PnC

Render:
Show Image

Actual:
Show Image

credit to Maxferfra

It's very alarming to me that a keyset author has, again, from my point of view, screwed up 2 GMK sets on colorings; I wanted to support community projects, but this is just something that makes me wonder if I should take part in any of Ren's GB in the future.

As an owner of Mizu at least I don't mind it being different then renders. There always has to be some expectation that renders can not ever be 1:1 of color. Can always try to get it as close in person, but if the colors are close to the actual RAL / Pantone chips or colors that you have in person to the ones you made the set with then it gets designed.

The same argument can be said with renders of my own issues with GMK Demon Sword and GMK Rudy where people were calling the navy the exact same. Where looking at in hand RAL book comparing colors they were 100% different but renders made them look similar.

As an owner of Mizu at least I don't mind it being different then renders.

You see that's the type of argument I just mentioned earlier that it doesn't mean it's okay to be different. It just so happens the difference is not big enough / worse enough to make you feel bad about the set.

In the case of PnC, the difference is huge because its more saturated and vibrant IRL when compared to renders. To me, the main reason I hopped on the ship to support the project was because of the pale peach color. Difference matters in this case because the outcome is that its not pale peach, its vibrant peach. If you're saying that this is just a one time mess up, I would have just let it go admitted it's my bad luck and called it a day, but from my point of view, first Mizu then this? It doesn't seem to me its an unintentional mess up, but more like Ren is, forgive me if this sounds offensive, not really good at color matching with sample chips and renders IRL.

IIRC, and please correct me if I'm wrong, Ren said he went with his vision with the set so he thinks its alright. With this logic, if Apple starts a GB and asked for funding for a dark mode mobile system, people support; turns out its a grey mode system because they think it went along with their vision, do you think its acceptable?

Offline Raravin

« Reply #179 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 09:12:19 »
Not quoting just cause of huge wall of text at this point.

It is something you have to wait and see what it is said, stated before it could be 100% matching to the color chips / parts that was in hand. I think comparing this to necro as someone did before was over the top.

Offline senryo

• Thic Thock
« Reply #180 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 09:14:15 »

It is something you have to wait and see what it is said, stated before it could be 100% matching to the color chips / parts that was in hand. I think comparing this to necro as someone did before was over the top.

If that is true, what is the point of renders? Just a vague representation of a concept?
Sorry I'm not buying this logic. An author, who is crowdfunding for a project should be responsible to his supporters. Simple as that.

And not to mention, Ren started his color matching after GB concluded.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 May 2020, 09:16:09 by senryo »

Offline Raravin

« Reply #181 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 09:18:10 »

If that is true, what is the point of renders? Just a vague representation of a concept?
Sorry I'm not buying this logic. An author, who is crowdfunding for a project should be responsible to his supporters. Simple as that.

Yes that is the point of renders, renders is to get as close as can to the actual set as possible. Sometimes they are 1:1 sometimes they are slightly off like Mizu and PnC. No different then throwing something up in KLE. The KLE colors are not 100% as HTML colors are not 100% as the actual production color. I have run into this myself multiple times. At times as well looking up colors for other sets. On a computer you try to get as close as possible but can not guarantee it being 100% accurate on a PC as getting something in person and having the color in hand. Designers like Ren at least try I know personally has a Dell Ultrasharp (one of the most color accurate monitors on the market) as well as a calibrator to try to get colors as best as possible. Even then cannot guarantee colors on a computer being the exact same as the in person color book. Again from my own personal experience GMK Rudy vs GMK Demonsword. The navy looks close on renders but in person color book they are leagues different.

Offline senryo

• Thic Thock
« Reply #182 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 09:23:56 »

Yes that is the point of renders, renders is to get as close as can to the actual set as possible. Sometimes they are 1:1 sometimes they are slightly off like Mizu and PnC. No different then throwing something up in KLE. The KLE colors are not 100% as HTML colors are not 100% as the actual production color. I have run into this myself multiple times. At times as well looking up colors for other sets. On a computer you try to get as close as possible but can not guarantee it being 100% accurate on a PC as getting something in person and having the color in hand. Designers like Ren at least try I know personally has a Dell Ultrasharp (one of the most color accurate monitors on the market) as well as a calibrator to try to get colors as best as possible. Even then cannot guarantee colors on a computer being the exact same as the in person color book. Again from my own personal experience GMK Rudy vs GMK Demonsword. The navy looks close on renders but in person color book they are leagues different.

I'm sorry but I must disagree with you on this.
Renders are essentially what people are perceiving when a project / interest check is initiated. It's should be a faithful representation of the potential goods, not a vague representation.

Yes there must be a lot of challenges during the coloring matching phase, I wouldn't deny it. But standing from a consumer point of view, I don't really care how difficult was it for you to do the coloring matching, regardless its on a super fancy monitor or you need to pull your wallet to invest on hyper color accurate equipment. Why? Because its your responsibility. Please don't sound like the difficulties laid in this phase is the reason for consumer to be more forgiving when the actual product is apparently different from the renders. You're well paid to do the job.

Offline Raravin

« Reply #183 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 09:27:10 »
That is fine and will be my final point. All I am saying that renders try to get as accurate as possible. You can never 100% guarantee a render is 100% accurate on a computer you try as hard as you can to get it. But nothing compares to the in person color and having your Color Sample and the Product Sample in hand for comparison. If your Color chip sample from the manu. and your product sample from GMK or wherever are matching then it is what you had visioned and designed the set to be.

Offline senryo

• Thic Thock
« Reply #184 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 09:40:38 »
That is fine and will be my final point. All I am saying that renders try to get as accurate as possible. You can never 100% guarantee a render is 100% accurate on a computer you try as hard as you can to get it. But nothing compares to the in person color and having your Color Sample and the Product Sample in hand for comparison. If your Color chip sample from the manu. and your product sample from GMK or wherever are matching then it is what you had visioned and designed the set to be.

I understand your point.
But at least, lots of other sets I've supported didn't turn out like that. We didn't see GMK Serika got screwed, we didn't see GMK Oblivion has color issues, we didn't see GMK Jamon came out wrong when compared with renders.

Did these author went through hell with color matching?
I bet so.

Did these sets fail as in having different shades of colors when compared to renders?
No.

I specifically mentioned the above sets and authors because these sets are either very challenging to do color matching or the author are very active in contributing the community, just as active as Ren is. But I don't see any problem with theirs, why Ren's, and 2 sets in a roll?

I'm not trying to offend Ren or be rude. As I said, I supported the set, because I love the idea. But when it came out wrong, I want to objectively give constructive criticism on this regard.

You can never 100% guarantee a render is 100% accurate on a computer you try as hard as you can to get it.

We are not talking about a very mild difference. It's dark versus light. Pale peach versus vibrant peach.
And RAL covers a wide range of colors, there is no excuse.

Offline olsen34

« Reply #185 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 09:45:32 »

What are renders for if they are not "what you had visioned and designed the set to be"? Are they just for decorations? Is the aim of renders to make them as pretty and as unrealistic as possible?
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 May 2020, 09:48:02 by olsen34 »

Offline Dr_Bond

« Reply #186 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 09:53:33 »
I kind of have to agree with senryo, although I really like the set when it got into my hands I think it's just really hard to compare irl to on-monitor colors. Everyone is definitely going to see something different (monitor setup, lighting, etc) and going forward maybe we can just assume colors are very slightly to slightly saturated irl than in renders since it seems to be a pattern. Overall though very happy with the results!
TGR Alice | TGR Matrix 8x V2.0 | Iron165 FE | Prophet

Offline bliss

« Reply #187 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 09:56:40 »
aww man wait, when did extras get sold out, when did extras even go up for sale? :(
Have a look at the vendor's shops, you see the elevated prices for the kits - then it's extras. They are usually live when vendors start shipping to customers and sometimes are sold out very quickly. You need to check their website and social media beforehand to know exactly when extras drop :thumb:

You may find someone in this thread willing to trade his/her set, though...

Agreed. Here it is luck that many like it regardless. But this is by no means an acquittal.

I discuss custom colors in a separate thread, how the procedure should be ideally. You may want to chime in there!
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106588.0

Offline Rensuya

• Blue is my spirit animal
    • Link to the discord!
« Reply #188 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 12:18:59 »
I've refrained from saying anything up to this point because I like my actions to speak louder than my words, but I think it's appropriate to give my thoughts here given the discussion that's been happening.

Let's talk about Peaches n Cream. Yes - it's more saturated than the renders. While in some lighting, the set does look close, I'd say in the majority of instances, it looks more saturated. And we should have gone lighter on the colors we picked.

But let me provide some context as well. This isn't an excuse - but more of an explanation of what happened. To begin, we picked some RAL colors. But when we received them, they weren't peachy enough. So we tried a 2nd round of color samples with RAL colors. This 2nd round was even worse than the first, to my eyes. So we bought 8 different pantone chips for a 3rd round of color sampling. We narrowed it down between two pairs of pantone colors, and unfortunately, we picked the more saturated colors.

Despite ordering the R3 color samples in October, we only received them in late January. They matched the colors we asked for well, and we thought they'd look great. We liked them well enough to move forward. In retrospect, we should have asked for an R4 with the lighter pantone colors, to at least compare. But it's hard to add another 3 month delay when you're already late. And we truly did believe that the colors we got in Round 3 were amazing, captured the essence of Peaches n Cream, and resembled the renders.

Our decision was correct in one way - the set that was produced with the pantone colors we chose came out great. I strongly believe that Peaches n Cream looks amazing in person. I also think that some people here are overreacting. The set is hard to photograph and some people haven't seen the set in person, and are comparing it to sets that matched much worse. I have never stated that the set was perfect to renders, just that I thought it looked great.

On the subject of renders... someone earlier brought up Apple. You should check out the renders of products they release before and after the product ships. You might be surprised. That said, we try to get renders to get close to what the set will look like. There is always going to be a small margin of error. The only way to know for sure, is for you to look at a color in person. I think Mizu fell into that margin of error. For Peaches n Cream, I can admit where I made a mistake.

Anyways, there are some things we did well with Peaches n Cream, that we will continue to do:
- We looked at the colors on a physical medium before asking for color samples from GMK (Some RAL Design colors are not readily available in plastic). We felt they were peachy enough to move foward with color sampling, but the plastic samples from GMK did not match that perception.
- We took 3 rounds. This was good in a sense because we were not satisfied with round 1 or 2, which I think would have made a worse product. Ideally, we would have taken a 4th round.

And there are some things I'm doing now that I've learned to do, based on my experience, which I have been doing if you look at any of my newer sets:
- Announce RAL colors ahead of time, so customers can validate the color choices based on their own perceptions if they so desire. Renders are never going to be 1:1, but this will let people get an even better idea.
- Start color sampling before the GB starts
- Announce any changes to colors if a 2nd round is necessary

If Peaches n Cream ever runs again, we'll probably ask for the lighter colors we chose from the pantones. (GMK Pale Peaches?). For those of you who are unhappy with the set, I'm truly sorry, and I promise that I'll work harder and do better going forward, and I hope you can see the steps I've taken already.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 May 2020, 12:32:05 by Rensuya »

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
Re: [GB] GMK Peaches n Cream (CLOSED)
« Reply #189 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 13:50:50 »
This hobby really needs to move towards sampling colors before entering any phase where people are allowed to spend hundreds of dollars that will be tied up for almost a year.
The lack of accountability is really staggering when it comes to keycap sets not being close the advertised product. All people can do is say that they are sorry, and that the people who spent this money are overreacting, and that MAYBE next time, when people are allowed to spend their money AGAIN on something they have no proof will be any better, has the potential to be what it was supposed to be years back.
I have such a massive hesitation to join any group buy because of the numerous post-gb threads and runners/vendors supposedly being incapable of doing anything after everything is said and done.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 May 2020, 13:55:08 by Kokaloo »

Offline senryo

• Thic Thock
« Reply #190 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 14:14:46 »
First and foremost, its good that the precautions are taken in order to prevent this from happening again, and I truly appreciate the time and effort Ren has poured into this writeup.

That said, if you may, allow me to give some of my thoughts with regard to the writeup. And please don't take the following as personal attack, I'm merely inputting my own thoughts as objectively as I could, not to rant on a set that I don't like, nor it may seem that I'm against an author, but because I want the community to thrive, in a more healthy manner, just like everyone else.

I've refrained from saying anything up to this point because I like my actions to speak louder than my words, but I think it's appropriate to give my thoughts here given the discussion that's been happening.

This is a very interesting take because, again, from my humble point of view, when there are dozens of ICs Ren is running at the moment, and that the 2 sets that came out from the factory has encountered a off color issue; isn't that it is alarming enough for an author to step up and clarify what steps should be taken and explain to his supporters and potential supporters that why the other sets of his will not face similar ordeal?
I've been saying, its not whether the set came out looking good or not, its the attitude and quality the author is bound to uphold to make his supporters feel ensured and have faith on him. It's a group buy, if, given the aforementioned situation, one would still want to commit to a motto - action speaks louder than voice, does that mean the supporters or potential supporters would have to take risk for the future sets Ren is willing to run? That doesn't sound logical to me, neither it is the proper way to handle the matter.

I've been observing from the first day when Louis posted the picture and part of the community immediately blew up because the colors were very different from render in the picture. I'm not sure by that time, had Ren personally seen the set already. But if he did, how hard was it to say its different from renders due to the darker/more vibrant/more saturated taste? But rather, Ren, correct me if I am wrong, explained renders are not always 100%, pictures were not properly taken because of lightings, believed it captured the essence of the vision. Up to this moment, Ren admitted its not the same as render and might I quote: "For Peaches n Cream, I can admit where I made a mistake."

I think as a consumer, I would rather you take the responsibility at the very beginning when you realized what's really going on. Just as I said, it's not about how good looking it turns out, but the attitude and quality you should uphold because the renders were the only thing that made this a reality, not the final set.

On the subject of renders... someone earlier brought up Apple. You should check out the renders of products they release before and after the product ships. You might be surprised.

I chuckled when I saw this because the analogy I made was not about whether the actual product made by Apple = the renders they made; instead, if anyone needs more enlightenment on this manner, is that of the concept - bait and switch.

And again, I wouldn't want anyone to take this personally, especially Ren. I'm saying this is a bait and switch because it is. As mentioned in the discussion before, the end product is different from what was proposed. If colors of keyset is just a peripheral additional like the colors of airpods, I wouldn't have any problem with it if the colors turned out looking bad because the main product isn't airpod's colors, but the quality of the sound and the comfortness when you wear it. The problem is, colors of a keyset are the soul, essence of the set. It is what makes people dig the idea, it is what people gonna look at on their keyboard, it IS the crux of the whole project. It's not like you mess up the drawing of the bandarole, its the colors of the keyset man.

I also think that some people here are overreacting. The set is hard to photograph and some people haven't seen the set in person, and are comparing it to sets that matched much worse.

So are people overreacting? or should the question be, should people overreact?
In my humble opinion, I don't think people should overreact. But consumers who supported the set have a right to voice out their concerns when the set is not looking like the same as what they had hoped for. So is voicing out their concerns an overreaction? No, because keyset author is well paid to do their job.

Was the set difficult to shoot?
Probably.

Is the colors off?
According to Ren, yes.

Did you see it in person?
Yes.

So I believe I have the right to voice out and not counted as overreacting?

- Announce RAL colors ahead of time, so customers can validate the color choices based on their own perceptions if they so desire. Renders are never going to be 1:1, but this will let people get an even better idea.

It's nice to hear the precautions and steps taken to ensure similar ordeal from happening. What I'm more concerned with this quote though is that the logic of color sampling before GB and upon IC is that you could communicate with your render guy in order to faithfully reflect your vision with the renders. The way Ren expressed it made me wonder -- "So when the renders were made, Ren didn't even think of the pantone code / RAL code when communicating with the render guy?"

That seems to me a bit too...if I may, causal. Renders are, possibly the most important factor in an IC because beside the sample chip, color codes, it is the best representation of the end product before it is produced.

Sample chips?
it depends on how well you take the picture;

Color codes?
People would have to do the imagination without renders.

I cannot imagine one was taking this lightly considering how much investment were in the line; not to mention, again, author is well paid not only because of the exquisite design, but also his ability. But of course, an argument cannot be built upon a speculation, so I could only imagine.

"...if they so desire"
As if Ren is reluctant to do so. It'd be rude to say this but the way it is expressed leave sour taste in mouth. Isn't it the responsibility of the runner of GBs to ensure his supporters of what they are getting into? Supporters are entitled to know as much as they could before they enter the GB because of the nature of this whole thing works. Consumers are paying full price upfront only because of several renders, updates, communications, but not the actual product. Why sounds so salty? Yikes.

...we'll probably ask for the lighter colors we chose from the pantones. (GMK Pale Peaches?)

Let us revisit the renders.

Not sure what Ren wants to achieve with that name, but to me, this was what PnC suppose to be. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm taking time to do this, again, not because I have so much time I want to rant on a set and bash the author to mud, but because I was extremely excited to receive the set and left equally disappointed when I received it, and got further depressed when seeing how Ren handled the matter.

With that many discussions above, let me reorganized my humble views.
  • it's not about how good it turned out; its about the process, the choice making and the responsibility to the supporters
  • it's not about hitting the proposed concepts / renders 1:1, but rather, faithfully following that path you set, not the vision you changed afterwards

Edit: forgot an argument, gotta add it back
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 May 2020, 14:40:07 by senryo »

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #191 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 16:35:06 »
Good writeup. I also found it funny that he said he will keep quiet (despite not being quiet and telling people the opposite, that it's fine) and let actions speak. Well his action was to post even more ICs and not adressing this at all - what did you want to convey with that besides seeming like a cash grab?

Respect for writing something down, but much like with gmk wob hiragana it only frustrated more.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 May 2020, 16:36:43 by Emir »

Offline Andalus

« Reply #192 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 18:19:48 »
I'm all for Paler-PnC.

I would have preferred more muted modifiers as well, but the set is decidedly good-looking.

I think Ren realizes he didn't get it quite right; there is merit to some of the objectionable views here - I think he's working to address these issues.

Ren - run it a 2nd time with Muted Mods please.

Offline leexy

« Reply #193 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 04:46:49 »
I'm all for Paler-PnC.

I would have preferred more muted modifiers as well, but the set is decidedly good-looking.

I think Ren realizes he didn't get it quite right; there is merit to some of the objectionable views here - I think he's working to address these issues.

what

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #194 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 15:33:59 »
Don't ever rely just on renders, especially with muted colors as they can be especially hard to reproduce and react to different lighting drastically. Renders, even if they are spot on, often won't translate all that well just because everyone's monitors are so different. I know the one I use that is adjusted for correct colors/renders doesn't look anything like my main gaming monitor.

The communities reliance an expectations from renders has also grown exponentially over the years. The very early 3D renders we had (Jukebox R1 on Massdrop for example) were certainly not made to be truly accurate to colors. Obviously they were close, but not exact. The growth of renders has been impressive, with most being nearly photorealistic these days. That being said, just because a render is technically impressive doesn't also mean that it is going to be exactly what the finished product looks like. This isn't anyones fault, just something people should be aware of. 

Providing color codes (RAL, Pantone, stock colors, etc) ahead of time is always the best practice I think. If consumers are truly worried about what the actual colors will look like before investing they can procure a sample of the colors ahead of time if they want. Colors designed for print like Pantone can still be difficult to imagine as plastic even when you have a book, so getting a plastic sample from Pantone is recommended. Generally it is pretty easy to know ahead of time if a color may be different in the render than in real life (again, muted colors, highlight colors, lighter shades especially).

One last note, in my opinion contrast is the bigger issue when designing/buying sets I think. Colors being slightly different is one thing, but if the contrast isn't correct then the set really could be less useable. I'm personally much more cautious with sets when I have concerns with contrast.

This is not a knock on this set at all, I personally think it looks great in person, different but good. This is a general PSA for folks new to buying sets and things to look for when buying a custom color set that has no IRL to look at before purchasing.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 May 2020, 15:39:30 by livingspeedbump »
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline bliss

« Reply #195 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 05:16:50 »
Providing color codes (RAL, Pantone, stock colors, etc) ahead of time is always the best practice I think. If consumers are truly worried about what the actual colors will look like before investing they can procure a sample of the colors ahead of time if they want. Colors designed for print like Pantone can still be difficult to imagine as plastic even when you have a book, so getting a plastic sample from Pantone is recommended. Generally it is pretty easy to know ahead of time if a color may be different in the render than in real life (again, muted colors, highlight colors, lighter shades especially).
Word!
And in the Moomin IC, Rensuya already puts the RAL #s up front :thumb:

This is not a knock on this set at all, I personally think it looks great in person, different but good.
Yes!

Offline Andalus

« Reply #196 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 07:58:47 »
I'm all for Paler-PnC.

what

What x 2?

Offline rxc92

« Reply #197 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 21:25:59 »
I'm all for Paler-PnC.

?

Offline JohnsonMG

« Reply #198 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 22:49:02 »
I don't want to beat a dead horse here, I think the colour matching narrative has been covered.

I did want to touch on something Ren brought up though; forgoing a round 4 of samples because the set was late. I think a vast majority of buyers, especially in this community, are happy to wait if it means getting a better product. I hope you were not getting pressured too much to wrap PnC up. If it was just personal pressure, please know that we all loved and supported your idea, and were happy to pay and anxiously wait for it to come to fruition.

I will echo what others have said though, despite not matching renders, the set looks great.

Offline leexy

« Reply #199 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 23:18:40 »
I'm all for Paler-PnC.

?