Author Topic: Protection spray paint for ABS cap (to avoid 'shine' and wear)  (Read 4113 times)

Offline menuhin

Protection spray paint for ABS cap (to avoid 'shine' and wear)
« on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 06:48:27 »
There are keyboards in the past and now that I am letting them sit in storage because I don't want to create any wear and shine on their ABS key caps. I'm thinking if I can do anything like an invisible protective spray paint on these ABS caps so that the 'shine' can be avoided and I can rest my mind and start trying these keyboards out more often.

Has it been done before?
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Protection spray paint for ABS cap (to avoid 'shine' and wear)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 06:59:36 »
Just use them and get over it, embrace the shine.

Life shouldn't be this complicated. :P

But of all the coatings I've seen none have been very long lasting and only make things worse.

Offline Data

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 07:18:53 »
All coatings wear.  There isn't a clear coat you could put on a key cap that wouldn't wear off and look worse than if you'd just left it natural.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 07:47:40 »

All coatings wear. 

There isn't a clear coat you could put on a key cap that wouldn't wear off and look worse than if you'd just left it natural.

+ 1

And the disparity between the more worn ones and less worn ones will be amplified.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline sinusoid

• fd > ESC
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 08:04:05 »
There are a few things you can do, actually.

You can sandblast them with a very fine grit, deskthority thread here: https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/keycap-sand-blasting-t12946-30.html

Or if you're fixed on coating them, there are some interesting two-part epoxy lacquers designed specifically for abrasion resistance, used for example in marine engineering. You should research, but here is one example: http://www.hempel.com/en/products/hempadur-15590

These should be overkill enough :)

ABS is reactive with solvents, though, so some resins can damage its surface. Make tests, pre-coat with acrylic, etc.