Author Topic: MX Red Silent (pink) switches  (Read 19612 times)

Offline zslane

MX Red Silent (pink) switches
« on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 13:21:20 »
I'm starting this thread to track the progress of the availability of MX Red Silent (aka "pink") switches in Varmilo keyboards.

I am eager to try this switch, but I only want to try it in the Varmilo VA108M. I was told that this switch would be available by the end of November...

Offline zslane

Re: MX Red Silent (pink) switches
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 18:25:05 »
Any updated news on when Varmilo will have MX pink switches available on their keyboards? It is now mid-December...

Offline hking0036

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 20:25:08 »
No idea about Varmilo, but MechanicalKeyboards.com is looking like they're going to get some Leopolds and Filcos with MX Pinks by the end of the year. Sorry you can't get them ont he board you're after. https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/incoming.php
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 December 2016, 20:26:46 by hking0036 »
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline zslane

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 20:34:24 »
Yeah, my Filco with MX pinks arrived from mechanicalkeyboards.com yesterday. That at least will give me a chance to see how I like the sound and feel of the new switch with SA keycaps.

But if I end up liking them, ultimately I'm going to want a white Varmilo VA108M with them.

Offline hking0036

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 20:47:26 »
Yeah, my Filco with MX pinks arrived from mechanicalkeyboards.com yesterday. That at least will give me a chance to see how I like the sound and feel of the new switch with SA keycaps.

But if I end up liking them, ultimately I'm going to want a white Varmilo VA108M with them.
Sure thing. How are you liking them so far? I've heard they're the best thing since sliced bread so I'm curious how they are.
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline zslane

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 20:54:06 »
I haven't transferred SA keycaps over to it yet. That won't happen until tomorrow night, at the earliest.

Offline hking0036

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 20:57:29 »
I haven't transferred SA keycaps over to it yet. That won't happen until tomorrow night, at the earliest.

I just mean the mx pinks in general, not necessarily with SA.

Offline zslane

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 12:19:01 »
Oh, ha! Sorry. My prejudices got in the way of comprehension there.

I haven't typed on it yet because I hate OEM/Cherry (i.e., cylindrical) keycaps and refuse to type on them. Typing on the stock Filco keycaps would only give me a false impression of whether or not they are good or if I would like them. Need to get SA on them first.

Offline hking0036

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 12:29:54 »
Oh, ha! Sorry. My prejudices got in the way of comprehension there.

I haven't typed on it yet because I hate OEM/Cherry (i.e., cylindrical) keycaps and refuse to type on them. Typing on the stock Filco keycaps would only give me a false impression of whether or not they are good or if I would like them. Need to get SA on them first.
Ah, I understand. I'm still very interested to find out.  :p I've heard some very interesting things but I've not seen many people talking about it on GH or otherwise, I suppose mainly because they're not super available yet like all the other ones, I suspect we'll hear more once they're available loose.

Offline Heezy

• Formerly trynds
  • ★★★★★
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 04:10:58 »
they are like cloud of boobs, like the real thing

Rig - i3 6300, 240GB SSD, 500GB SSD, Gigabyte H170N Wifi, 16GB DDR4, Zotac 1060 Mini, 650w SuperFlower
Monitor - HKC144hz Mouse/Mousepad/Keyboard - Zowie EC1A - Zowie GS-R - Zowie Camade - Filco TKL MX Pink

Offline zslane

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 10:50:52 »
So I've only spent a little time with SA keycaps on these switches, but I can report that it is an unusual experience. I'm just so not used to a linear switch that doesn't make the usual bottoming out and upstroke noises. Yes, there is a gentle thud sound when I bottom out and a barely perceptible fip sound on the upstroke, but compared to a stock MX red, this switch is as quiet as a mouse. With MX reds, you can't really hear the sound of slider friction over all the bottom/upstroke noise, but now you can actually hear it, even though it is a very soft sound as well. I imagine that the sound of the slider movement will fade with use (I refuse to lube every slider individually).

So far the MX pink gets a pretty big thumbs up from me. I want to spend more time with it before I make any final judgments, but I can say that I vastly prefer it over MX red, which has been my switch of choice for the last year and a half. Its only competitor right now for endgame switch is a silenced Topre, as on the new RealForce RGB board (after I've added silencing rings). They are both quiet in pleasing ways; the difference of course is in the feel of linear vs. tactile. I am primarily a linear switch guy, but Topre managed to make tactile switches into an attractive option for me (but only Topres).

I really can't wait to get these into a white Varmilo VA108M. I don't know what is taking Varmilo so long to source them from Cherry. Did Filco buy them all or something?

Offline hking0036

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 12:40:18 »
So I've only spent a little time with SA keycaps on these switches, but I can report that it is an unusual experience. I'm just so not used to a linear switch that doesn't make the usual bottoming out and upstroke noises. Yes, there is a gentle thud sound when I bottom out and a barely perceptible fip sound on the upstroke, but compared to a stock MX red, this switch is as quiet as a mouse. With MX reds, you can't really hear the sound of slider friction over all the bottom/upstroke noise, but now you can actually hear it, even though it is a very soft sound as well. I imagine that the sound of the slider movement will fade with use (I refuse to lube every slider individually).

So far the MX pink gets a pretty big thumbs up from me. I want to spend more time with it before I make any final judgments, but I can say that I vastly prefer it over MX red, which has been my switch of choice for the last year and a half. Its only competitor right now for endgame switch is a silenced Topre, as on the new RealForce RGB board (after I've added silencing rings). They are both quiet in pleasing ways; the difference of course is in the feel of linear vs. tactile. I am primarily a linear switch guy, but Topre managed to make tactile switches into an attractive option for me (but only Topres).

I really can't wait to get these into a white Varmilo VA108M. I don't know what is taking Varmilo so long to source them from Cherry. Did Filco buy them all or something?
That is super interesting  :eek:
I'm tempted to get some to try out myself sometime, unfortunately I'm not much of a linear guy at all. If they move these silencers over to a tactile switch then I'll probably be interested in them. Neat to see.

Offline zslane

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 15:49:30 »
I agree. I don't see why Cherry would want to use anything else inside their switches going forward. Maybe they could add a click leaf to their MX browns and call them MX ambers, and to their MX blues and call them MX purples. I would think that a clicky switch where most of what you hear is the click leaf, and not all the other unnecessary noise, would be very popular.

Offline dante

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 15:59:55 »
I'd like to see a franken Cherry switch that uses this silencing technique with the Silver (Speed) stem and Nature White spring.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 December 2016, 19:41:38 by dante »

Offline zslane

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 15:48:10 »
Does the Varmilo rep read these forums anymore?

Can we get an update on when MX Silent Red switches will be available in Varmilo keyboards?

It is now Jan of 2017 and the last thing I was told was that they would be available at the end of Nov 2016. What happened?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 20:40:03 »
they are like cloud of boobs, like the real thing

Rubbish sunshine because again we have this fantasy recollections, trying to describe a woman's breast.

It's nothing like a real woman's breast so PLEASE stop posting such idiotic garbage information, in relation to women's body parts.

First have a REAL girlfriend or wife, then try to find out for yourselves instead of typing up such stupid info.

Offline Varmilo MNF

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 03:26:48 »
Does the Varmilo rep read these forums anymore?

Can we get an update on when MX Silent Red switches will be available in Varmilo keyboards?

It is now Jan of 2017 and the last thing I was told was that they would be available at the end of Nov 2016. What happened?

Hi All Cherry switches are available for all Varmilo keyboards.Sorry for the late reply