Author Topic: Alps SKCM Blue in Focus FK2001?  (Read 6148 times)

Offline Sick Robotron

Alps SKCM Blue in Focus FK2001?
« on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 20:33:53 »

Hey guys - I have been a lurker here for some time now, but just created this account to make this post! (hopefully I've properly followed the rules and posted in the correct spot -- please let me know if I haven't!!)

This week I went on something of an alps binge and purchased three keyboards...

An "old logo" Dell Bigfoot with complicated blacks

A Monterey MTEK 104 with whites

...and a Focus FK2001 with an unknown switch type: https://imgur.com/gallery/yN4Sc9D (the one I purchased is depicted in the lower half of each picture)

I have looked through some other threads discussing the Focus FK2001 and potential indicators as to whether they have SKCM Blues. So far I've learned only that some range of serial #s beginning with "8" had blues. It seems like the conventional knowledge is that none of the versions with windows keys had blues, some of the boards with blank keys where there should be windows keys had blues, and some of the winkeyless versions had blues.

What do you guys think about the winkeyless board in the lower half of both linked pictures? I am dying for it to get here next week!

Offline JP

Re: Alps SKCM Blue in Focus FK2001?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 20:36:38 »
Well this is more a place to give back by sharing finds with others.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline Sick Robotron

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 20:49:37 »
So if all goes well I will be back in this thread soon :). Could you suggest where I might post this instead?

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 21:38:42 »
Sadly, those aren't blue alps. I've been on this hunt before, and those are an omron alps clone shown here: http://sandy55.fc2web.com/keyboard/focus2001.html

number 5 on the list: http://hw001.spaaqs.ne.jp/kaineko2/album20120131.html
before you buy these, always ask for the seller to remove a keycap and send a picture. They almost always do it, and it helps a lot with identification.

the alps clone lists the weird looking numbering on the bottom of the back label unlike the genuine alps version
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 May 2018, 21:43:22 by p_blaze »

Offline Sick Robotron

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 22:05:54 »
I'm not sure how you can tell? what number on the label is the giveaway?

Offline Sick Robotron

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 22:14:26 »
Perhaps I'm having difficulty with google translate, but neither article seems to give a dispositive indicator for blues.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 22:21:37 »
Perhaps I'm having difficulty with google translate, but neither article seems to give a dispositive indicator for blues.

I think that is because no one has found a sure fire indicator to figure that out, as boards with both blue and white can look identical on the outside(unless we find a new clue). The only thing that has a higher probability is the serial number starting with "8", but even then it could be blue or white, but you will know they are real alps at least.

Offline JP

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 22:43:30 »
So if all goes well I will be back in this thread soon :). Could you suggest where I might post this instead?

I'd say in the main keyboards thread.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 10:01:58 »
I'm not sure how you can tell? what number on the label is the giveaway?

The blue alps version has no number on the label on the back that says "No. 163830726 " or some other number.
The version you have, the omron clone, has that number, which means it isn't blue alps. To confirm this, I asked a seller about the exact same keyboard a month back, and he sent me a pic with a white colored switch.

Offline Sick Robotron

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 01:52:29 »
I think you’re a little confused. Not all winkeyless models from Taiwan with the serial number on the center back sticker are Omron models. Though it would be cool if it were Omron instead of standard Alps whites. We shall see.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 03:27:14 »
Sick Robotron: Yeah, "Great Finds" is customarily where we tell everyone about particularly good deals that are still available (e.g. stuff we'd snap up ourselves if it wouldn't lead to divorce, LOL). However, it's fine to mention something like your Focus board—it's all interesting.

I just wanted to contribute this to the topic... Someone whose experience I respected here at GH (Chyros, maybe?) once posted:

"For a chance at Blue Alps in a KB-2001, you need to find one without a s/n."

I know because it's in my general file on vintage keebs. Unfortunately, I didn't include a link to the page, or any other details about the post... Maybe someone else remembers more?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 11:28:29 »
Sick Robotron: Yeah, "Great Finds" is customarily where we tell everyone about particularly good deals that are still available (e.g. stuff we'd snap up ourselves if it wouldn't lead to divorce, LOL). However, it's fine to mention something like your Focus board—it's all interesting.

I just wanted to contribute this to the topic... Someone whose experience I respected here at GH (Chyros, maybe?) once posted:

I know because it's in my general file on vintage keebs. Unfortunately, I didn't include a link to the page, or any other details about the post... Maybe someone else remembers more?

I already linked that one sandy555 page with all the focus variants listed

Offline Sick Robotron

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 13:05:54 »
Maybe I should log mine? It has White SKCM Pine Alps, while the consensus from the serial number and other indicators was that it should have clones?

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 15:15:07 »
Maybe I should log mine? It has White SKCM Pine Alps, while the consensus from the serial number and other indicators was that it should have clones?

are you sure they are genuine ALPS? Hunting around Deskthority and a few foreign wikis leads me to believe the only thing you could have are omron alps clones which are pretty hard to tell apart AFAIK
log it if you are completely sure

Offline Sick Robotron

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 16:17:32 »
Have a look -- https://imgur.com/gallery/QDrLEuy

The switch housing is Alps branded, and the clips are the type used only by Alps. These are the "Pine" variety with the slits in the switch housing, and it has short switch plates.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 17:08:21 »

are you sure they are genuine ALPS? Hunting around Deskthority and a few foreign wikis leads me to believe the only thing you could have are omron alps clones which are pretty hard to tell apart AFAIK
I think you're placing too much trust in these things xD . Almost everything Alps-related has very few hard rules, best you usually get is rules of thumb that are MOSTLY true xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 00:15:05 »
Someone whose experience I respected here at GH (Chyros, maybe?) once posted:

I know because it's in my general file on vintage keebs. Unfortunately, I didn't include a link to the page, or any other details about the post...

I was referring to a GH page, though, where someone made the comment about the s/n-less 2001s. In fact, I don't see any correlation at all between what I posted and the page you linked to. That's okay, though—I'm married, so I'm used to being pointlessly contradicted.  :?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 06:32:17 »
Someone whose experience I respected here at GH (Chyros, maybe?) once posted:

I know because it's in my general file on vintage keebs. Unfortunately, I didn't include a link to the page, or any other details about the post...

I was referring to a GH page, though, where someone made the comment about the s/n-less 2001s. In fact, I don't see any correlation at all between what I posted and the page you linked to. That's okay, though—I'm married, so I'm used to being pointlessly contradicted.  :?)
I meant to say that that page has what you were saying documented with pictures, so you don't need to search for another instance of of the missing s/n

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 18:53:10 »
I meant to say that that page has what you were saying documented with pictures, so you don't need to search for another instance of of the missing s/n

Think about it, though. It's one thing to list some no-s/n boards with a certain type of switch, and another to point out that only no-s/n boards of that type would have the switch. At least that's how I see it. Of course, it wouldn't be the first time I'd overlooked something obvious. (That last part was my disclaimer, see.)