Author Topic: KBD8x PCB Damage?  (Read 2208 times)

Offline wudci

KBD8x PCB Damage?
« on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 14:15:04 »
I recently attempted to desolder all my key switches to fix a stabilizers and change out plates and after resoldering an entire column of switches have become unresponsive. I'm assuming that I have done damage to the PCB and I'm wondering how you would go about fixing it.

Here are pictures of what I believe to be damaged solder pads...? I've lightly drawn on the second image the affected keys with faint red circles.
https://imgur.com/a/UHs3Dqd

I've tried carefully adding more solder to the affected solder joints but nothing happened. I then desoldered a few of the key switches again and used a pair of tweezers to see if I could get an output that way, but still nothing happened. Seeing this, I found that every single affected key no longer has an output when using tweezers Is my PCB busted?

Offline nevin

Re: KBD8x PCB Damage?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 14:34:05 »
probably just have to add some jumpers to fix the broken traces.

you got lots of rosin on there as well. not an issue but i'd probably clean it off with isopropyl alcohol to prevent corrosion down the line.
do you have a multimeter? continuity tester? use it to diagnose where the broken trace is.
looks like it's the whole bottom row, is that correct? start around the bottom left switch. one leg should connect to the column above, the other should go through the diode and to the next switch in the row (if that's how this pcb was designed, every manufacturer does it a little differently) i know the DZ60 is a bit screwey in this area, diagnosed a handful in the last couple months.

do some poking around and see what you can find out. i can dig into it later (either this evening or tomorrow)
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline wudci

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 20:36:54 »
Thanks for the help!

Ended up buying some jumper wire and had two spots on the PCB where I had to use them. All keys work now.

Offline nevin

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 23:59:03 »
nice. glad you got it working.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68