Author Topic: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)  (Read 4190524 times)

Offline iri

Re: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)
« Reply #29650 on: Tue, 29 November 2022, 15:01:24 »
Omit the 'e' in "squirrel".
Who the **** pronounces the 'e' in 'squirrel'? Is that Swedish English, that dialect in which the word 'nuclear' contains an 's'?
Well, it is not supposed to rhyme with "swirl".
That 'e' is reduced to the same barely noticeable schwa in both American and British English.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29651 on: Tue, 29 November 2022, 15:02:38 »
stupid snow. always on a day you have a lot of **** to do. and so early this year too.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #29652 on: Fri, 02 December 2022, 04:02:15 »
I just got diagnosed with colon cancer ... It will probably have to be taken out before I get any chemo or radiation for the lymphoma that I already got, pushing that treatment forward in the calendar even further. Whether this tumour is from the lymphoma or something else, I don't know yet. I'm a bit weak and in constant pain and feeling sick already as it is.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #29653 on: Fri, 02 December 2022, 10:53:36 »
I just got diagnosed with colon cancer ... It will probably have to be taken out before I get any chemo or radiation for the lymphoma that I already got, pushing that treatment forward in the calendar even further. Whether this tumour is from the lymphoma or something else, I don't know yet. I'm a bit weak and in constant pain and feeling sick already as it is.

hang in there buddy. /sending digital good vibes

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #29654 on: Fri, 02 December 2022, 11:04:17 »

:( Sending positive thoughts and vibes your way. Damn, that is unwelcome news.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29655 on: Sat, 03 December 2022, 13:42:30 »
noise canceling earbuds,  has there been any reports, you're walking you're walking, bam hit by a bus, because /noise canceling.

holy crap.. 55% of such accidents involve getting hit by a TRAIN ?.... and this was before 2011, POST 2011, who knows.

https://www.2keller.com/library/the-dangers-of-earbuds-and-headphones-for-pedestrians.cfm

daheck, tree falls on woman while running with earbuds on,  she's running, trying to improves her life, and wham,  tree falls on her, because spotify was just too important.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29656 on: Sat, 03 December 2022, 15:55:40 »
airpod mic quality sounds like utter garbage, people pay for this ... ??

Offline Timbersawdust

• aka snorlax
« Reply #29657 on: Sat, 03 December 2022, 16:23:35 »

sending you good vibes

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29658 on: Tue, 06 December 2022, 12:19:31 »
Tp4's 6570 no support 4K30hz , max is 2560x1440p on dvi-duallink, 1080p on hdmi.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29659 on: Tue, 06 December 2022, 13:36:50 »
Got home from work to my mum turning on the TV.  She had waited for me to get home because she had knocked it off and smashed it in two places, she thought it would be OK because "it was only sticking out a bit and I pushed it back in".  11 months after her stroke and still utterly useless mentally and physically, I'm not sure how much longer I can live with it.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29660 on: Tue, 06 December 2022, 13:46:56 »
Got home from work to my mum turning on the TV.  She had waited for me to get home because she had knocked it off and smashed it in two places, she thought it would be OK because "it was only sticking out a bit and I pushed it back in".  11 months after her stroke and still utterly useless mentally and physically, I'm not sure how much longer I can live with it.

yikes, every1 havn' a hard time,  suppose we're glad Sorang's country has heathcare.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29661 on: Tue, 06 December 2022, 18:09:17 »
Free health insurance in the US is an actual joke. I feel as if I am being constantly pranked.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29662 on: Wed, 07 December 2022, 13:39:55 »
Went to the shop as I'm of the opinion some things should not be bought without seeing them first - a TV being one of them.  Clearly 4K TVs look better and OLED is apparently much tougher and might even have bounced but when there's no blu-ray player or cable/Sky in the house so most channels aren't even HD it's really not necessary.  But I don't like buying cheap stuff just because it's cheap!  Of course I was at work so had less than half an hour to look so no decision was made.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29663 on: Wed, 07 December 2022, 13:58:34 »
Went to the shop as I'm of the opinion some things should not be bought without seeing them first - a TV being one of them.  Clearly 4K TVs look better and OLED is apparently much tougher and might even have bounced but when there's no blu-ray player or cable/Sky in the house so most channels aren't even HD it's really not necessary.  But I don't like buying cheap stuff just because it's cheap!  Of course I was at work so had less than half an hour to look so no decision was made.

If your room has good light control, you want to chk out the new "Quantum" QD-Oled. They're brighter AND wider Gamut, (m0ar color purity).

The regular WRGB OLED has a polarizer, so they look blacker in lit rooms, but their color purity is lower, and they desaturate when high peak output is pushed, due to the white sub-pixel.

You can get full bitrate 4K material on _Arrrrgh_shiver_mtimbr... The tv or streamer can install plex, it connect to ur PC (server), and plays the files directly. ~60GB per movie. you'll want to use either a usb ethernet dongle or make sure the native eth port has >100mbps, some are only 100/100 ports. 

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29664 on: Wed, 07 December 2022, 15:17:22 »
If your room has good light control, you want to chk out the new "Quantum" QD-Oled. They're brighter AND wider Gamut, (m0ar color purity).

The regular WRGB OLED has a polarizer, so they look blacker in lit rooms, but their color purity is lower, and they desaturate when high peak output is pushed, due to the white sub-pixel.

The primary user of this TV is retarded following a stroke and even before that the "previous channel" button was too complicated and the blue line in the TV guide showing the current time was seemingly invisible.  There is no point buying anything but the cheapest TV that comes on a very stable base - some are bendy and others feel solid but are surprisingly easy to knock over!

Spending a not insignificant amount of money on a TV is annoying enough without buying terabytes of storage to pay to condemn the planet a little quicker by leaving switched on 24/7 just in case someone wants to watch something.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29665 on: Wed, 07 December 2022, 15:22:06 »
The primary user of this TV is retarded following a stroke and even before that the "previous channel" button was too complicated and the blue line in the TV guide showing the current time was seemingly invisible.  There is no point buying anything but the cheapest TV that comes on a very stable base - some are bendy and others feel solid but are surprisingly easy to knock over!

Spending a not insignificant amount of money on a TV is annoying enough without buying terabytes of storage to pay to condemn the planet a little quicker by leaving switched on 24/7 just in case someone wants to watch something.

/headscratch  are you sure you want a tv and not an amazon kindle Sorange?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29666 on: Wed, 07 December 2022, 15:29:09 »
/headscratch  are you sure you want a tv and not an amazon kindle Sorange?

Show Image

Yes, endless reruns of crime dramas on a big self supported screen, not ... ebooks(?) on an easily droppable tablet.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29667 on: Wed, 07 December 2022, 15:32:56 »

TV that comes on a very stable base

In an environment where a human body is likely to stumble into the set, you should consider fastening down the base, at least securely clamping or strapping it.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29668 on: Wed, 07 December 2022, 15:39:59 »
In an environment where a human body is likely to stumble into the set, you should consider fastening down the base, at least securely clamping or strapping it.
Believe it or not (I'm still undecided) the story goes she leant over the TV to shut the curtains, as she does every day, and somehow managed to hook her sleeve on the corner and then pulled it over.  Whatever happened couldn't have if it was tied down so I like this idea.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29669 on: Thu, 08 December 2022, 16:57:19 »
Believe it or not (I'm still undecided) the story goes she leant over the TV to shut the curtains, as she does every day, and somehow managed to hook her sleeve on the corner and then pulled it over.  Whatever happened couldn't have if it was tied down so I like this idea.

what about wall mounting it.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29670 on: Thu, 08 December 2022, 18:45:00 »
what about wall mounting it.
The only suitable wall in the room is shined on by the afternoon sunlight coming through the window which is behind the TV where it currently is.  TV can be in the corner overlapping one side of the window or in the middle of the room overlapping the other side but there's not enough wall either side to clear it (there's a door angled 45 degrees into the room on the non corner side) Maybe if it was attached to the wall but six inches out it could work but it would look weird.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29672 on: Fri, 09 December 2022, 16:18:07 »
Bought new TV, had to be bigger because ... that's the way everything with a screen continues to go  but didn't think that being bigger and having legs near both sides rather than one in the middle meant it would be too wide for the cabinet as well as being more stable.  It does work with the old remote so no training required and that alone is worth the risk - the cabinet now has an extra layer of glass on top to make it wider.  Will have to find some way of tying it all down...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29673 on: Fri, 09 December 2022, 17:02:19 »

Will have to find some way of tying it all down

Many layers of duct tape for the win !
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29674 on: Sat, 10 December 2022, 17:46:29 »
I've been fasting for a week, eating much less at around 1 meal and 1 snack a day, and working out almost daily and somehow I have put on weight. Not a little bit either, 6lbs! Nearly a pound a day!
Why do I even ****ing bother?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29675 on: Sat, 10 December 2022, 18:11:39 »
unless you're eating sticks of butter, that's mostly water weight.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29676 on: Sat, 10 December 2022, 18:16:54 »
unless you're eating sticks of butter, that's mostly water weight.

I get fatter drinking water all day than eating pizzas? Stupid human body, you're doing it wrong!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29677 on: Sat, 10 December 2022, 20:13:52 »
I get fatter drinking water all day than eating pizzas? Stupid human body, you're doing it wrong!

you're not fatter, you're full of water.

Offline alvrnicu

• Collecting Bongo Cat Keycaps
« Reply #29678 on: Sun, 11 December 2022, 09:55:13 »
Attending school for a second Bachelor's and may need to sell a few more artisans for tuition, which I'm fine with. What's bothering me is that if a Brocaps Bowsette artisan pops up for sale, I know I'd definitely dump the money I've saved for tuition for it and am a bit disappointed in myself for that :-[

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29679 on: Mon, 12 December 2022, 23:58:28 »
Tp4 has never actually drank prune juice,  in this scene warf orders an extra large prune juice from the replicator,   is this a large quantity of said juice ? seems like a small cup

the fan remaster of the ds9 dvds is pretty amazing, the deinterlace is fantastic quality.

294280-0

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29680 on: Tue, 13 December 2022, 08:08:39 »

warf orders an extra large prune juice

Prune juice is extremely healthy and strong in both taste and nutrition, but it acquired a "reputation" because it is very often used for its laxative properties.

But you should try it, it is actually great stuff. Not just for old people.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29681 on: Tue, 13 December 2022, 08:12:53 »
prune juice

An ice cold glass of prune juice and Dr Pepper is a sure fire Summer prescription for poopin', I know that much!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29682 on: Tue, 13 December 2022, 08:53:35 »

prune juice and Dr Pepper

That would just make me gag ....

This thread has made me realize that the bizarre toilet functions of the Klingon parody characters in The Orville probably stem from the prune juice in Star Trek.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #29683 on: Tue, 13 December 2022, 11:56:30 »

hang in there buddy. /sending digital good vibes

:( Sending positive thoughts and vibes your way. Damn, that is unwelcome news.
sending you good vibes
Thanks guys (and those who PM:d me as well). It means something.
I'm supposed to meet the doctor and hear test results tomorrow morning, and first then will I know how bad it really is. I have been incredibly worried this past week, and am tonight.

Edit: No new surprises, thankfully. The lymphoma is slow, but after treatment I might have to live with it for years and get new treatment now and then. That really sucks. Now, I'm waiting for the surgery department to contact me...
Edit: Surgery next week, but I don't yet know which day.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 December 2022, 11:39:53 by Findecanor »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29684 on: Fri, 16 December 2022, 16:35:32 »
oooohhnnn''  ate way too much curry, oooh,, feel like gon' xplode.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29685 on: Fri, 16 December 2022, 20:02:26 »
Put my phone on charge for an  hour prior to going out, just before leaving checked and it had not charged at all so I turned it off with 10% left in case I needed to use it later.  Thankfully I didn't but on arriving home it still wont charge or turn on so looks like I have no phone for the foreseeable future (replacement is still sat in Hong Kong and both backups were discovered inept when I tried to use them in August)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29686 on: Fri, 16 December 2022, 20:30:28 »
Put my phone on charge for an  hour prior to going out, just before leaving checked and it had not charged at all so I turned it off with 10% left in case I needed to use it later.  Thankfully I didn't but on arriving home it still wont charge or turn on so looks like I have no phone for the foreseeable future (replacement is still sat in Hong Kong and both backups were discovered inept when I tried to use them in August)

This is the part of the plot where Sorange abandons the dystopian horror of modernity and goes live in the forest. He arrives at a secluded cabin, the scenery is not hollywood, but it is nature, and more importantly, it is peaceful. Sorange unpacks, surveys the materials in the cabin, heads out to chop wood and build a fire. The wood is a little harder from the cold, but he's certainly still man enough to handle it given his prior occupation as a mechanic. Sweat rolls past his eyes, it tastes salty, but the fresh air is different from the factory musk, there is a distinct absence of dread or tiredness. It felt as if he could just chop wood forever, and that would be ok, a satiating existence.

The fire lit easily enough with his cigar lighter, he's not impractical enough to discard all technology. He pour himself a scotch and was about to nestle into the singular worn down recliner when a knock sounded at the door. He's discarded his superficial acquaintances and burned the last bridges. No one could possibly need him or know where he was, who could it be. It was a weak slow knock, almost a surrender, had it been a person, he couldn't have been eating properly.

Sorange opens the door slowly, a thin svelte figure collapses into his arms, it was a young woman, her lips were pale........

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29687 on: Sat, 17 December 2022, 04:04:52 »
This is the part of the plot where Sorange abandons the dystopian horror of modernity and goes live in the forest.
It is actually cold here at the moment (not getting above freezing some days) and sadly the few ties I have are intact - tomorrow I have to get up and go out early to feed my sister's bunnies!  No idyllic cabin life for me :(
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 December 2022, 04:07:36 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #29688 on: Sat, 31 December 2022, 18:38:38 »
I'm currently in a hospital bed recovering from colon surgery. I got an ileostomy, which is really yucky.
It all went too fast: I hadn't got enough time to mentally prepare over Christmas, and I've got really scrawny. So I'm feeling very miserable right now. I have the pressure on me to eat properly, but I have a real problem with apetite. In the worst case, I throw up again because of anxiety.

Edit: The ileostomy can be reversed with new surgery, but I'd have to recover greatly first.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 December 2022, 18:47:37 by Findecanor »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29689 on: Sat, 31 December 2022, 18:52:41 »
Good luck with your recovery.
We will be thinking about you.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29690 on: Sat, 31 December 2022, 19:06:27 »
Tp4 channeling broccoli energy to Findecanor.

Stay positive,  see if you can sign up for one of those experimental Ayahuasca therapies.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29691 on: Sat, 31 December 2022, 21:27:27 »
I'm currently in a hospital bed recovering from colon surgery. I got an ileostomy, which is really yucky.
It all went too fast: I hadn't got enough time to mentally prepare over Christmas, and I've got really scrawny. So I'm feeling very miserable right now. I have the pressure on me to eat properly, but I have a real problem with apetite. In the worst case, I throw up again because of anxiety.

Edit: The ileostomy can be reversed with new surgery, but I'd have to recover greatly first.

Wishing you luck and comfort in the new year

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29692 on: Sun, 01 January 2023, 06:44:10 »
That's a rough start to the year Fin, it can only get better and you've survived so hopefully the anxiety decreases.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29693 on: Wed, 04 January 2023, 17:04:52 »
Trying to contact customer service about an important document never arriving in the mail, and the only way to create an account to reach out to them is with the pin that is on  that document.

Cool. They really thought this process through.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #29694 on: Wed, 04 January 2023, 17:10:23 »
Countless interviews, zero offers.  :(

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29695 on: Wed, 04 January 2023, 18:52:47 »

They really thought this process through.

There are many variations of this. I always liked the "go to the web site for the answer" when the problem was that I couldn't get online.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29696 on: Sat, 07 January 2023, 01:52:55 »
tp searches project box, on amazon, and the AI  already-knew that tp4 wanted a metal project box to put an amplifier board into...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29697 on: Sat, 07 January 2023, 08:43:30 »

the AI  already-knew

TP4 is AI.
The Central Scrutinizer is already tapped in.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #29698 on: Sun, 08 January 2023, 03:55:16 »
Not quite sure where I belong at the moment.
I have my family, and I have my friends.

But the last couple years I've invested heavily in finding decent places to hang out online.
Then today it hits me that I don't honestly even like anyone on the discord server I am on, I have nothing in common with them, they are in different places in their lives compared to me.
And then the sinking feeling of being alone and being lonely comes.

It's getting better - am getting used to being alone.

But sometimes it just hits you, YOU'RE ALONE.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29699 on: Sun, 08 January 2023, 08:32:51 »
Not quite sure where I belong at the moment.
I have my family, and I have my friends.

But the last couple years I've invested heavily in finding decent places to hang out online.
Then today it hits me that I don't honestly even like anyone on the discord server I am on, I have nothing in common with them, they are in different places in their lives compared to me.
And then the sinking feeling of being alone and being lonely comes.

It's getting better - am getting used to being alone.

But sometimes it just hits you, YOU'RE ALONE.

could be a sign of clinical depression.   gotta eat your veggies.  natural anti-depressants.