Author Topic: [GB][SHIPPED] Skull Squadron DSA set (aka: Macross)  (Read 1806044 times)

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: [GB] Skull Squadron DSA set (aka: Macross)
« Reply #200 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 00:47:17 »
This group buy is conducted entirely by Signature Plastics.  It is somewhat akin to buying from MassDrop.  As such, these types of sales are not actually "group buys" and belong in a dedicated SP vendor space.  All actual group buys that are conducted by Geek Hack members collecting money and distributing sets produced by SP are going to remain in the Group Buys subforum.

Yeah...doesn't change the fact that if this GB had started in the SP vendor page I never would have seen it.

Just subscribe to the SP vendor forum and you will never miss a new set  :thumb:

Offline skuko

« Reply #201 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 02:01:04 »
This group buy is conducted entirely by Signature Plastics.  It is somewhat akin to buying from MassDrop.  As such, these types of sales are not actually "group buys" and belong in a dedicated SP vendor space.  All actual group buys that are conducted by Geek Hack members collecting money and distributing sets produced by SP are going to remain in the Group Buys subforum.

Yeah...doesn't change the fact that if this GB had started in the SP vendor page I never would have seen it.

Just subscribe to the SP vendor forum and you will never miss a new set  :thumb:

yeah that's nice and all for people who are actually aware of this, but when the "thread moved" message disappears from the first page of the GB subforum, all new potential buyers who don't even know about this subforum are going to miss it and maybe we will even miss the MOQ because of it. that would be a shame.

mods should at least have a sticky at the top of GB subforum stating that all SP GBs are going through this subforum and that thing should stay there at least for a couple of months for a smooth transition.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #202 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 02:27:24 »
okay guys, please don't start this crusade.

First of all. The GB is not run by SP, they did not chose the colors, they did not run the IC, they did not chose the keys per each set, they did not make the mock-ups, they did not designed the custom keys. And most importantly the organized (me) is not making money out of it. It's not a service like MassDrop. MassDrop is in charge the whole process.

SP is simply offering the group buy platform/service, instead of using my own software (like I did for DSA Retro) I'm using their system.

That being said. I agree that we are in a kind of grey area here but being this the FIRST group buy organized with this system I hope everyone agrees that it's a good thing that it receives a good coverage. From this moment on anyone (not just me) is able to run a GB for keycaps and at the best possible price possible being SP also the manufacturer.

EDIT:

Just to be clear: I agree with the decision of putting this on a subforum, I just don't agree with "conducted entirely by Signature Plastics" because I spent a hell lot of time on this thing and I'm not a SP employee! :P
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 February 2014, 03:04:30 by Matt3o »

Offline skuko

« Reply #203 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 03:10:00 »
okay guys, please don't start this crusade.

First of all. The GB is not run by SP, they did not chose the colors, they did not run the IC, they did not chose the keys per each set, they did not make the mock-ups, they did not designed the custom keys. And most importantly the organized (me) is not making money out of it. It's not a service like MassDrop. MassDrop is in charge the whole process.

SP is simply offering the group buy platform/service, instead of using my own software (like I did for DSA Retro) I'm using their system.

That being said. I agree that we are in a kind of grey area here but being this the FIRST group buy organized with this system I hope everyone agrees that it's a good thing that it receives a good coverage. From this moment on anyone (not just me) is able to run a GB for keycaps and at the best possible price possible being SP also the manufacturer.

EDIT:

Just to be clear: I agree with the decision of putting this on a subforum, I just don't agree with "conducted entirely by Signature Plastics" because I spent a hell lot of time on this thing and I'm not a SP employee! :P

exactly. i think it's really unfair to practically disqualify the GB, just because you're not going through the ordeal of gathering the payments and sorting the keys yourself.

i have the utmost respect for Bunnylake, but according to this warped backwards logic, all the GBs organized by him shoul dbe confined to the space of the ctrlaltstore subforum (which would be just as bullcrap as this is).

so i hereby appeal to the mods to move both of these group buys back to the GB subforum, where they belong, or apply the same logic to all GBs.

just seems like an anti-SP campaign to me.... o.O

edit for matt3os edit: i disagree, as stated above. if the GB is organized by a GH member, the platform it is run on should be irrelevant.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 February 2014, 03:13:12 by skuko »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #204 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 03:17:50 »
like I said.

please don't discuss about this matter on this thread, it's just off-topic.

Offline skuko

« Reply #205 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 03:41:30 »
if this GB doesn't meet the MOQ, the money will be automatically refunded?

Offline JayKthnx

« Reply #206 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 03:46:52 »
@skuko No money should have been taken yet. Papal just has the transaction pending.

Offline skuko

« Reply #207 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 03:52:15 »
right, my bad. just checked my paypal, the payment has not been processed yet. i was confused by the fact that the money was formally deducted from my bank account (or at least it does say so on the sms notification)

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #208 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 04:26:07 »
i was confused by the fact that the money was formally deducted from my bank account (or at least it does say so on the sms notification)
Ah, so that's why my order couldn't be completed...
I actually have to have the money first to order.  ^-^
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline Excessive

• Signature Plastics
« Reply #209 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 08:59:35 »
Hey guys just for clarity we do not deduct funds until the group buy is over. And only if it has met the minimum order amount at that time.

Offline JayKthnx

« Reply #210 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 09:05:04 »
People really need to start buying into this set. I'll be really sad if I can't get it due to not making moq

Offline regack

« Reply #211 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 09:25:24 »
People really need to start buying into this set. I'll be really sad if I can't get it due to not making moq

Hmm, I just noticed that the expiration isn't showing up on the site.  Matt3o posted 'Group Buy ends on March 9 at 11:59pm' in the OP.  I guess there's still some time.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #212 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 09:38:16 »
there are still 23 days. I think we can still meet the MOQ. I thought this would have been an easier sell.

Offline RapidCancel

« Reply #213 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 12:43:40 »
I'll be joining this as soon as I get my tax return funds :)

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #214 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 14:05:57 »

Interesting user name. Is this Pacifist?

Offline Coumbaya

« Reply #215 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 16:48:06 »
there are still 23 days. I think we can still meet the MOQ. I thought this would have been an easier sell.

Yeah, that's a relatively cheap DS set you got us here, I wonder what's the holdup.
I was hoping to see more ISO love too.  :'(
Filco MJ2, Browns, Skull Squadron Ducky Shine III, Browns, Granite Unknown, White Alps & trackpad 1390132 & 1391402 Model M

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #216 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 18:14:25 »

YES it would if you stuck to the old ways young Matt, but you went all 'modernish' with this new ordering system and that is why people are scared of it  :-\ .

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #217 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 18:26:18 »

YES it would if you stuck to the old ways young Matt, but you went all 'modernish' with this new ordering system and that is why people are scared of it  :-\ .

I don't see why people would be more concerned about dealing with the manufacturer, than with a single person. I like the idea.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #218 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 18:29:43 »
Maybe it is not the set, but the new system to participate in the GB what it is preventing ppl from joining.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 February 2014, 18:31:38 by ideus »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #219 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 20:10:19 »
I don't see why people would be more concerned about dealing with the manufacturer, than with a single person. I like the idea.

Because this is the absolute FIRST time SP is now sorting and shipping these orders, there is room for extreme doubt that they could indeed pull this off.  You keep forgetting how simple orders are sent to them and they stuff up the manufacture of these orders.  Hence if they have trouble interpreting specifications from customers in making key-sets who wants to bet they will drop the ball on sorting and shipping?

So far Mashby has done an excellent job with the Commando Key-set in sorting and shipping and SP won't be anywhere as decent as his efforts.  Plus at SP they'll be employing people for the lowest wage possible to sort all the key-set orders, I know I wouldn't give a toss about amounts when I'm paid less than $2.00USD an hour.

Offline RapidCancel

« Reply #220 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 21:57:07 »

Interesting user name. Is this Pacifist?

Lol, no.  It's just terminology from a fighting game called Blazblue.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #221 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 23:26:13 »

Because this is the absolute FIRST time SP is now sorting and shipping these orders, there is room for extreme doubt that they could indeed pull this off.  You keep forgetting how simple orders are sent to them and they stuff up the manufacture of these orders.  Hence if they have trouble interpreting specifications from customers in making key-sets who wants to bet they will drop the ball on sorting and shipping?

So far Mashby has done an excellent job with the Commando Key-set in sorting and shipping and SP won't be anywhere as decent as his efforts.  Plus at SP they'll be employing people for the lowest wage possible to sort all the key-set orders, I know I wouldn't give a toss about amounts when I'm paid less than $2.00USD an hour.

If orders were votes, I already voted SP can deal with it. I hope they back the community trusth with a good job in handling these orders, both at manufacturing, and at distribution.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #222 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 01:09:13 »
I believe we have multiple issues here:

1) a big company is involved directly. people feel that the order is final right from the start. remember that in standard GB you have a 10% that does not fullfill. Ordering on google-groups is simply less binding
2) it's not seen as a community-to-community service, or a GB per-se. It's a commercial sale
3) the system had (and still has few) issues
4) the GB is now in SP sub-forum with a much lower visibility
5) skull squadron is not your "standard" keycaps set, I don't like "standard" keycaps set. Also Macross itself is a very old and niche franchise.

I'm sure that if I had run the GB myself we wouldn't had any trouble reaching the 50 tier. But two days no orders, I'm pretty worried right now.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #223 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 01:20:11 »
It's only been moved here for one day, since last evening, and the group buy is still listed on the front page of the group buys subforum with locked redirects.  So I don't think that's the root of your problem if you're saying 2 days without orders.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #224 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 01:23:16 »
I'm not blaming GH (if that's what you imply)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #225 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 02:14:32 »
Matt3o,

The 6U Spacebar, would that be for G80-1865's ?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #226 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 02:28:37 »
The 6U Spacebar, would that be for G80-1865's ?

it might work but I believe you need to change the stem position. My suggestion is to take two and work with scalpel and epoxy glue

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #227 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 08:40:26 »
I believe we have multiple issues here:

1) a big company is involved directly. people feel that the order is final right from the start. remember that in standard GB you have a 10% that does not fullfill. Ordering on google-groups is simply less binding
2) it's not seen as a community-to-community service, or a GB per-se. It's a commercial sale
3) the system had (and still has few) issues
4) the GB is now in SP sub-forum with a much lower visibility
5) skull squadron is not your "standard" keycaps set, I don't like "standard" keycaps set. Also Macross itself is a very old and niche franchise.

I'm sure that if I had run the GB myself we wouldn't had any trouble reaching the 50 tier. But two days no orders, I'm pretty worried right now.
People do feel like it is more final but for me personally, since I need to pay using paypal right away, I will wait until my paycheck comes in.
Wait until the end of the month before you spell doom and gloom on this GB. I am sure you will see a big bump in people ordering.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #228 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 09:00:11 »
We can still make it, there are still 3 weeks.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #229 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 11:23:11 »
This is not in the group buy section anymore?

Well i guess this is the end of this Group Buy. I really wanted this set bad

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #230 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 11:43:52 »
This is not in the group buy section anymore?

Well i guess this is the end of this Group Buy. I really wanted this set bad

if you like it, share it and spread the word :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #231 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 22:28:59 »
Not moving. It is a shame, this is a very nice and unique set. Now nested within vendor's forum it may not see the light though.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #232 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 22:41:06 »
Would making it DCS be more popular? I know I personally can't stand how un-ergo the DSA caps are.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #233 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 22:47:57 »
I have not used DSA before, but I want to try some alternative layouts to qwerty and this profile seems a good way to go. I am not sure about ergonomics though.

Offline blighty

« Reply #234 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 05:37:06 »
As much as I love Macross, this set is a wee bit too loud for me.  I am hoping with SP's new system we will see a WoB DSA set pop up. Any chance of just getting the custom legend keys in a pack?
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #235 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 05:39:00 »
As much as I love Macross, this set is a wee bit too loud for me.  I am hoping with SP's new system we will see a WoB DSA set pop up. Any chance of just getting the custom legend keys in a pack?

find someone who got the boring joe kit and grab the custom keys :)

Offline skuko

« Reply #236 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 09:13:04 »
Would making it DCS be more popular? I know I personally can't stand how un-ergo the DSA caps are.

in which case i would pull out of the set, in it primarily because of DSA :)

Offline Coumbaya

« Reply #237 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 10:53:36 »
A DCS set would lost a lot of ISO non qwerty users...Like me. :rolleyes:
Filco MJ2, Browns, Skull Squadron Ducky Shine III, Browns, Granite Unknown, White Alps & trackpad 1390132 & 1391402 Model M

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #238 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 11:27:59 »
If DCS I'd rather prefer a GMK made one.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #239 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 11:32:45 »
the idea was: DSA Macross, DCS Midnight, SA Star Wars

but considering the lack of interest I'll reconsider my priorities :P

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #240 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 11:34:51 »
What about the BoB PBT DSA one?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #241 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 11:35:36 »
What about the BoB PBT DSA one?

Indeed, that will be most likely my next set.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #242 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 12:44:35 »
go go skull squadron DSA!

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #243 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 13:54:51 »
A DCS set would lost a lot of ISO non qwerty users...Like me. ::)

That makes no sense, as they have the same kits for DCS.

Offline Coumbaya

« Reply #244 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 15:45:03 »

Nope. The iso kits are great at fixing the large enter key and missing <> key, but the Q and W not being in the same row are harder to fix...
It's a shame us europeans don't get to buy PBT sets or even DS good looking sets. Even with the ISO set, my symbols on the number row aren't going to be right with this set  :(. I think my next keyboard is gonna be ANSI lol.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #245 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 15:46:51 »

Nope. The iso kits are great at fixing the large enter key and missing <> key, but the Q and W not being in the same row are harder to fix...
It's a shame us europeans don't get to buy PBT sets or even DS good looking sets. Even with the ISO set, my symbols on the number row aren't going to be right with this set  :( . I think my next keyboard is gonna be ANSI lol.

Thus, you could buy the set to get it in stock waiting for your future upcoming ANSI board.

Offline Coumbaya

« Reply #246 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 15:57:34 »

It's a shame us europeans don't get to buy PBT sets or even DS good looking sets. Even with the ISO set, my symbols on the number row aren't going to be right with this set  :( . I think my next keyboard is gonna be ANSI lol.

Thus, you could buy the set to get it in stock waiting for your future upcoming ANSI board.

Oh but I'm buying it. I'm just not really ready to buy a DCS and learn QWERTY. I can do with the symbols not being the same, as long as they're labelled, but the AZERTY I've been using for 20 years is kinda hard to forget.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #247 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 16:03:39 »

Oh but I'm buying it. I'm just not really ready to buy a DCS and learn QWERTY. I can do with the symbols not being the same, as long as they're labelled, but the AZERTY I've been using for 20 years is kinda hard to forget.

AZERTY eh? I happen to have something you might be interested in :D

Offline Coumbaya

« Reply #248 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 16:12:26 »

:eek: What is it ?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #249 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 16:14:21 »

:o What is it ?

I will PM you :)