Author Topic: GH60 Group Buy (Salvage Mode: Enabled - Update in OP)  (Read 1615440 times)

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
Re: GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #600 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 06:23:24 »
i have access to high quality cnc milling machines as i am working in metal industry, but as this isn't usually what i do (i am more from the electrical department) i am not that experienced with cad or whatever is used to create the feed for those machines. maybe someone with a little more insight can hook me up with a technical drawing or/and more info while i try and figure out in what quantities i could get some cases done.

i probably could also have the cases anodized there afterwards.
I wish i had experience with this as it would be really nice to get a case from you since you are located in Europe.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #601 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 06:26:47 »
One question about the HHKB ANSI plate:
- is it possible to setup the bottom row like that: 1.5 - 1 - 1.5 - 7 - 1.5 - 1 - 1.5 ?

Yes, that is exactly how the plate is set up. If you want to have the HHKB bottom row, you simply don't install switches in the outside 1.5 positions.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline jcrouse

Re: Re: GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #602 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 08:14:49 »
- is it possible to setup the bottom row like that: 1.5 - 1 - 1.5 - 7 - 1.5 - 1 - 1.5 ?

Yes, that is exactly how the plate is set up. If you want to have the HHKB bottom row, you simply don't install switches in the outside 1.5 positions.

JDC ... Isn't the HHKB a 6.25 spacebar?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #603 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 08:16:46 »
The actual HHKB does, but this layout has a 7x spacebar.

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #604 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 08:20:46 »

It is **** like that that just adds confusion. Along with the nice pictures not aligning with the naming of the plstes and order form. I haven't ordered for 3 weeks because I still am not sure what is what.

John

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #605 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 08:24:31 »
I think pictures of the plates instead of the layouts, and a list of what each plate can do layout wise, with the pictures of the layouts under them in a smaller size (width=200) or something could clear the confusion up.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #606 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 08:29:59 »
Someone give me pictures of the plates and I'll make it all better. You can copy and paste it into the OP or point people to my post.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #607 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 08:41:02 »
Updated my order to add switches and assembly services.  Whites on one board, Grays on the other.  Poker layout for both.

;)

Offline pasph

« Reply #608 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 08:41:37 »
i have access to high quality cnc milling machines as i am working in metal industry, but as this isn't usually what i do (i am more from the electrical department) i am not that experienced with cad or whatever is used to create the feed for those machines. maybe someone with a little more insight can hook me up with a technical drawing or/and more info while i try and figure out in what quantities i could get some cases done.

i probably could also have the cases anodized there afterwards.
I wish i had experience with this as it would be really nice to get a case from you since you are located in Europe.

+1
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #609 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 09:41:25 »
i submitted my order day 1 but i dont think i responded to the switch order section properly.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #610 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 09:50:09 »
i submitted my order day 1 but i dont think i responded to the switch order section properly.

Sent you a PM about your order.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Broadmonkey

« Reply #611 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 10:07:24 »

It's 6 in size not 6.25, no?
It goes from 0.75 on the X to 0.75 on the ,< key.

Something like this would give the board true HHKB layout while giving the opportunity to add three more keys.
17722-0

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #612 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 10:19:31 »

It's 6 in size not 6.25, no?
It goes from 0.75 on the X to 0.75 on the ,< key.

Something like this would give the board true HHKB layout while giving the opportunity to add three more keys.
(Attachment Link)

Actually, that layout is supported by the PCB. The 6x spacebar center mount is offset, and matches with the 7x spacebar center mount position. I'm not sure about stabilizer holes, though. It would be up to the plate and case designer (aka WFD) to decide if he wants to change the case and plate design to the "true" HHKB layout, or stick with the 7x spacebar design as it currently stands.

Sorry, but I don't think we will be adding any more layout options at this late date. The 7x spacebar seems more appealing anyhow, as they are more commonly found (e.g. in tsangan kits), and it fixes a problem with the HHKB, by creating a balanced symmetry on the bottom row. PFU Fujitsu doesn't have to worry about spacebar compatibility, since you don't have many options for replacing the keycaps, anyway.

Also, by using the 7x spacebar in that configuration, instead of a 6x, it matches the 1.5x (and WKL) layout.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 April 2013, 10:33:18 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline Broadmonkey

« Reply #613 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 10:32:09 »
oh, I wasn't making a request about a new plate as I don't think there would be a lot of backup, especially since it uses 6x spacebar. Just that one could create it by using a universal plate ;)

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #614 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 11:36:36 »
is it possible with this kit to have off-centered capslock and spacebar?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #615 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 11:48:38 »
is it possible with this kit to have off-centered capslock and spacebar?

Yes, the PCB supports both of those.

in memoriam

Offline agor

« Reply #616 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 16:03:36 »

Could you do this for me aswell, please?
KBD8X II - MX 5000 - Realforce 88UB - Phantom - GH60

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #617 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 16:10:30 »

Could you do this for me aswell, please?

Done.

in memoriam

Offline gropingmantis

« Reply #618 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 17:43:26 »
Is there a way of getting a PM just to verify that my order changed correctly? I would so hate to miss out on ths

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #619 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 17:49:45 »
Is there a way of getting a PM just to verify that my order changed correctly? I would so hate to miss out on ths

PM sent

in memoriam

Offline miscsubbin

« Reply #620 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 17:58:26 »
Anyone know where I could get a low profile case? I've looked at the ones in the OP, but they're not quite what I'm looking for. Something similar to this:

I'll post somewhere else if this is the incorrect place.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #621 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 18:11:40 »
well i suppose i should get in on this to use up the rest of my vintage blacks. ordered :)
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline hankz

« Reply #622 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 20:12:56 »
I change my order and I want to know my order is changed to right quantity or not.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #623 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 20:43:07 »
Anyone know where I could get a low profile case? I've looked at the ones in the OP, but they're not quite what I'm looking for. Something similar to this:
Show Image

Ask mashby since those are his boards?

Offline T0ken

« Reply #624 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 20:48:52 »
Is shipping to Canada available? I'm fine with increased shipping cost and taxes etc, but I know that shipping  an item to Canada from both USA or EU is a pain. I realized I might as well ask here as I'm about to place my order...

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #625 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 20:50:41 »

There were only ~30 of them from a GB and I'm afraid they're all gone.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #626 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 21:03:46 »
Is shipping to Canada available? I'm fine with increased shipping cost and taxes etc, but I know that shipping  an item to Canada from both USA or EU is a pain. I realized I might as well ask here as I'm about to place my order...

The GH60 has no boundaries my fellow Canadian!

Offline T0ken

« Reply #627 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 21:36:47 »

The GH60 has no boundaries my fellow Canadian!

Awesome, thanks for the reply! Order placed, eh  ;D

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #628 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 05:42:20 »

It is **** like that that just adds confusion. Along with the nice pictures not aligning with the naming of the plstes and order form. I haven't ordered for 3 weeks because I still am not sure what is what.

John

I'll add actual plate pics next to the layouts with keycaps. This was initially done because I would think it's harder for newbs to visualize the keycap size based on a  size 1x switch hole and an unknown space in between. It's easier to see the layout with the actual keycap size at the corresponding positions. I'll notify again when I've added the plate pics.

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #629 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 06:04:15 »

John

I'll add actual plate pics next to the layouts with keycaps. This was initially done because I would think it's harder for newbs to visualize the keycap size based on a  size 1x switch hole and an unknown space in between. It's easier to see the layout with the actual keycap size at the corresponding positions. I'll notify again when I've added the plate pics.
WFD ... I completely agree with your reasoning. Looking at the keyboard pics is WAY better than pics of the plates.

Maybe use the name of the plate as a header, EXACTLY the way it is named on the order form and then show a pic of all the different ways it could be setup or at least the majority of them I realize the generic ANSI and ISO plates could be configured quite a few different ways. Also, naming is important to avoid confusion. I just started using a HHKB at work this week and wanted the "true" HHKB layout, only to find out it really is different. I understand the reasons it is so, and again agree, but the naming led me to believe it was exactly the same.

Good work on this to both you and JDC. Your efforts are goung to be enjoyed, and hopefully appreciated, by many.

John

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #630 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 07:21:36 »

John

WFD ... I completely agree with your reasoning. Looking at the keyboard pics is WAY better than pics of the plates.

Maybe use the name of the plate as a header, EXACTLY the way it is named on the order form and then show a pic of all the different ways it could be setup or at least the majority of them I realize the generic ANSI and ISO plates could be configured quite a few different ways. Also, naming is important to avoid confusion. I just started using a HHKB at work this week and wanted the "true" HHKB layout, only to find out it really is different. I understand the reasons it is so, and again agree, but the naming led me to believe it was exactly the same.

Good work on this to both you and JDC. Your efforts are goung to be enjoyed, and hopefully appreciated, by many.

John
:/ that's what I said... and I disagree. To me, looking at the plate is easier. I can see the placement of the switches better.

Offline mkaito

« Reply #631 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 17:34:48 »
Hey,

What's the absolute minimum I need to get from the GB so that I can complete the keyboard later on? I'm a little tight on cash, but don't want to miss this amazing opportunity. I'm not good with a solder, really. I think I need the soldered PCB, the plate, and stabilizers?

As a side note. I've done a little soldering before, but I'm certainly not very good with it. Can I learn to solder switches easily, or should I splurge for switches and assembly?

Offline gnubag

« Reply #632 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 17:48:41 »
Hey,

What's the absolute minimum I need to get from the GB so that I can complete the keyboard later on? I'm a little tight on cash, but don't want to miss this amazing opportunity. I'm not good with a solder, really. I think I need the soldered PCB, the plate, and stabilizers?

As a side note. I've done a little soldering before, but I'm certainly not very good with it. Can I learn to solder switches easily, or should I splurge for switches and assembly?

you need for a functioning gh60 at least: soldered pcb, pcb mount switches, pcb mount stabilizers (cherry only), keycaps, and a usb cable. (plate is optional)

soldering is pretty easy but if you are not confident in your skills, you are better off spending $25 more.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 April 2013, 17:55:48 by gnubag »

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #633 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 17:55:37 »
/ that's what I said... and I disagree. To me, looking at the plate is easier. I can see the placement of the switches better.

I would say not for the masses but that is just my opinion. I was an Autocad designer for over a decade. Personally, I have no problem with the pics of the plates but I suspect many others would find it easier to look at a pic of a kbd.

John

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #634 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:03:14 »
This looks like a really fun project, I'd love to buy a kit.

But I'm not sure about the case. I don't want to cannibalize a poker/pure, buy an expensive aluminum case, or make one myself. Will there be a community case to go with this, eventually? Something cheap, plastic maybe?

Offline mkaito

« Reply #635 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:12:30 »
Hey,

you need for a functioning gh60 at least: soldered pcb, pcb mount switches, pcb mount stabilizers (cherry only), keycaps, and a usb cable. (plate is optional)

soldering is pretty easy but if you are not confident in your skills, you are better off spending $25 more.

I have never soldered anything on a keyboard, but have taken the solder iron to the innards of a laptop before. It didn't explode or burn up in my face  ;D I'm less confident in being able to bring up enough money to pay for switches and assembly before the deadline, so I'll have to learn. I don't want to order stuff and end up unable to pay for it before the deadline.

I'm picking this up as a long term project, to build my ideal keyboard. I'll take my time with the case, caps, and cable. Pick them out after extended research, and buy them as I get the money for it. Shipping to EU is a *****.

By the way. To whoever is handling payment for this. Do you accept bitcoin?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #636 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:18:28 »
The minimum I would suggest is the pre-soldered PCB. You can likely buy plates, switches, stabilizers, case, keycaps, USB cable all later. But you will want at least a PCB so you don't miss out now.

As for payment, I'm pretty sure TJ is accepting Paypal only.

in memoriam

Offline Noko

• jolonarr: a tough dude who takes no esses!
  • * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
« Reply #637 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:19:36 »
I haven't soldered in about 15 years but I figured it'll be a lot more rewarding to do it myself.  Here's hoping I don't fry anything!
Noko's Leatherworks - Handmade Custom Leather Wrist Rests -  http://www.noko.ca

Sales Thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51762.0
Build Log: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47704.0

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #638 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:20:25 »
I posted this answer to someone else back there somewhere, but depending on the layout you want, you may also want a plate at this moment too. Unless you're looking for a Poker layout, I'm of the feeling that plates won't be seen so often.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #639 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:22:21 »

Do you accept bitcoin?

Absolute minimum you'll need is a PCB and recommended to get a plate with it. These two things are pretty much a one time offer, while switches, stabilizers, case, cable, and keycaps will be the same (for the most part) no matter when you get it. These things you can source yourself later.

Don't ask for bitcoin payment, this isn't the forum for that. During my brief experimentation with bitcoins, I realized the nature of them attracts all kinds of scumbags.

But I'm not sure about the case. I don't want to cannibalize a poker/pure, buy an expensive aluminum case, or make one myself. Will there be a community case to go with this, eventually? Something cheap, plastic maybe?

I'm still in the early processes of trying to get some plastic cases 3D printed. That won't be in this GB though, too much complications and time consuming if we try to integrate it at this point.

Offline mkaito

« Reply #640 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:30:53 »

Do you accept bitcoin?

Absolute minimum you'll need is a PCB and recommended to get a plate with it. These two things are pretty much a one time offer, while switches, stabilizers, case, cable, and keycaps will be the same (for the most part) no matter when you get it. These things you can source yourself later.

I think that's what I'll do. Thanks.

Does anyone, by any chance, know sources of these in Europe?

Don't ask for bitcoin payment, this isn't the forum for that. During my brief experimentation with bitcoins, I realized the nature of them attracts all kinds of scumbags.

I'm sorry, I did not intend to come off as a... scumbag? Bitcoin is pretty handy for international fund transfer, so I thought I'd ask. I can use paypal too, so it's okay.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #641 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:55:23 »
lol I didn't specifically say you were a scumbag. There are a lot of decent people that believe and use bitcoins, but the nature of them attract tons of scammers. There's actually a subforum within the bitcoin forum specifically to make threads if you've been scammed. All confirmed scammers are still free to use the forum, except with a scammer tag instead of being banned. This is just a bit ridiculous. Anyways don't want to go too far off topic.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #642 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 19:12:03 »

I'm still in the early processes of trying to get some plastic cases 3D printed. That won't be in this GB though, too much complications and time consuming if we try to integrate it at this point.

Perhaps by "Rev. B" or the second GB?

Offline justin one

« Reply #643 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 19:16:23 »
I had to cancel my order. I'm sorry I really wish I could do it but just can't right now.
[ KBC Poker ] [ Ducky DK9087 ]

Offline mkaito

« Reply #644 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 19:30:38 »
After some quick investigation, I've decided to buy the damn thing assembled with switches and stabilizers. I'll just have to find the money somehow.

Not afraid of being able or not to solder, but the equipment I'll have to buy is far more expensive than I can justify.

Offline mkaito

« Reply #645 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 20:28:53 »
I hope I'm not going too far off topic. Just let me know if I should split into a thread of my own. I'm not very familiar with the politics of this forum. Please forgive the stupid questions  :-[

I'd like to get some input before I submit my order; partially, because I'm not as knowledgeable as I'd like to pretend, and also because I don't want to waste anyone's time with an incorrect order. Please tell me what you think.

Bearing in mind that I'd like to order an assembled poker layout with switches, stabilizers, and a plate:
  • The universal ANSI and the Poker plate should both fit. I think I'll get the universal plate, in case I ever buy a solder iron and decide to get an extra key somewhere.
  • The board has 61 keys, so 63 switches just in case?
  • I assume you're able to source Cherry MX Blue?
  • Space bar wire is 6.25x, right?
  • I do not believe there is much of a difference between stabilizers, so I'll just stick to my guns and get plate mounted costars.
  • Assembly service would solder the switches and mount the stabilizers and the plate, right?

Is there anything I should consider that I missed?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #646 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 20:31:59 »
^Yes to everything except the stabilizers. They have different feelings to them, but I think you'll be happy with the Costars.

Offline mbreslin

« Reply #647 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 20:36:11 »
I'd be happy to pay an extra 25$ assembly fee (plus the cost to order some leds) if you would solder in leds for mine?

1. I could be dead last if you want to deal with all the easy orders first
2. If you're too busy with all the other stuff and can't do it no worries!  ;D

(cross posted from the ic thread)

Also: I decided I want a second one do I just order again or do you/jd modify the order as it stands?

Thanks!

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #648 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 20:46:39 »
  • The universal ANSI and the Poker plate should both fit. I think I'll get the universal plate, in case I ever buy a solder iron and decide to get an extra key somewhere.
  • I do not believe there is much of a difference between stabilizers, so I'll just stick to my guns and get plate mounted costars.

Is there anything I should consider that I missed?

Per the second post, these two are not compatible. The universal plate is compatible with Cherry PCB mounted stabilizers only.

Edit: The costars should work with the Poker plate though
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 April 2013, 20:49:35 by whiskytango »
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #649 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 20:49:58 »
^Yes to everything except the stabilizers. They have different feelings to them, but I think you'll be happy with the Costars.

Aren't they non-standard stabilizer bar length though?  Where would you find the right size stabilizer?