Author Topic: [Ordered] Laser cut titanium 60% plates  (Read 51115 times)

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
Re: [Pre-order] Laser cut titanium 60% plates
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 18:18:15 »
Got an invoice today for 8 plates and 65 tools! Should be dropped off soonish by the cutter and sent to me

Awesome! I'm very excited :)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 18:38:05 »
Sweeeettttt

ti tools mmmmmm

Offline Cottonsox

« Reply #102 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 18:48:39 »
Is there some sort of list for the tools? Put my name in the ic thread for them and undersrand people ordering plates have priority. Really interested tho for my upcomming sprit board I am building.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 22:11:20 »
Is there some sort of list for the tools? Put my name in the ic thread for them and undersrand people ordering plates have priority. Really interested tho for my upcomming sprit board I am building.

I'll just put up a thread, first come first serve
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline JayKthnx

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 22:48:52 »
will you be holding onto some for those of us in another hemisphere? I'm sure your tools will sell out very quickly leaving us without a chance to get any.

Offline fart_toast

« Reply #105 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 06:15:49 »
Got an invoice today for 8 plates and 65 tools! Should be dropped off soonish by the cutter and sent to me

WOO! Finally get my build on the go soon after its planning last summer :p

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 12:44:18 »
please register interest for going on deck for plates if you want one. i have another piece of material in hand and ready to send to the cutter if/when the_beast feels ready to bring in the people on deck.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 13:00:55 »
please register interest for going on deck for plates if you want one. i have another piece of material in hand and ready to send to the cutter if/when the_beast feels ready to bring in the people on deck.

I think I've already registered interest, but just in case, are we registering interest here on this thread?

I'd like to be in for 2 plates on the 2nd round.   

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 15:08:00 »
I am interested in being on deck for a plate as well. If there is room for any extra after everyone who wants in gets in, I'll take a 2nd.

Same question, is this the right place or should I post in the original IC thread?

Really want some switch tools too, registered in the IC thread this morning for that.

Edit: Moved position of question so it was clearer that I was asking about plates, not tools.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 March 2014, 15:16:35 by cultofjosh »

Offline geniekid

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 16:26:03 »
Interest registered.  I'm really curious about how easy titanium is to paint, but will probably get 1 or 2 regardless.

Offline JayKthnx

Re: [Ordered] Laser cut titanium 60% plates
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 22:56:36 »
1 plate ANSI poker layout.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 03:28:36 »
Interested in a plate with ANSI Poker 2 layout  ;D

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #112 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 14:25:20 »
Interest registered.  I'm really curious about how easy titanium is to paint, but will probably get 1 or 2 regardless.
afaik it takes paint like any other metal. there's nothing really that unique about the chemistry. it's highly pure unalloyed titanium. you will need to prep it like any other metal to take primer, but once you get the primer down you're painting on the primer not the metal.

however, having seen this material ground and polished to a very high tolerance finish, it is absolutely beautiful. no other metal quite has the spectral properties that titanium does. polished, it just looks amazing. if you want to get crazy colors out of titanium, the coolest option is anodization. titanium oxide does not have uniform refractive behavior. here are some examples of the spectrum behavior you get out of anodized titanium: http://mrtitanium.com/art4sale.html

the only unfortunate thing is that you have to either anodize at home (cut nasty dangerous chemicals) or find a specialized titanium anodizer. there is one locally that i can talk to if enough people end up wanting anodization, but it's very likely going to be extremely expensive, as their process is specialized for increasing surface hardness and other properties of titanium alloys for aerospace applications. there are probably better titanium anodizers out there for hobbyist purposes.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #113 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 16:26:34 »
That would be great to get it polished. I'd be down for that.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 17:46:10 »
Satin finished or polished would be great for me.   I love Ti!! 

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #115 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 00:23:19 »
 :eek:

Offline bkoyle

« Reply #116 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 00:55:45 »
Registering interest in a plate from the second batch

Bkoyle

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #117 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 07:27:35 »
Boom, photos!

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline JayKthnx

« Reply #118 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 07:30:46 »
Beautiful. Really looking forward to my chance at getting one of these

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
[Ordered] Laser cut titanium 60% plates
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 07:38:47 »
Awesome, I'm glad they came out well!

However, is there a chance that the order was placed incorrectly? I'm only seeing one of the "danielucf layout" from the OP, which I assume is JD's because it has his name carved out of it :))

In particular, it looks like only one was made with the universal backspace when Daniel, JD, and me were all signed up for the same layout.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 April 2014, 07:50:39 by riotonthebay »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 07:59:52 »
Beast can I have my tools now? :P Those pics look great though :D.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 08:09:16 »
Wow! Jdcarpe got his name on it! wow!

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 08:10:31 »
Awesome, I'm glad they came out well!

However, is there a chance that the order was placed incorrectly? I'm only seeing one of the "danielucf layout" from the OP, which I assume is JD's because it has his name carved out of it :))

In particular, it looks like only one was made with the universal backspace when Daniel, JD, and me were all signed up for the same layout.

It looks like the cutter used joneslee85 or Latin00032 which is the same as yours/Daniels but without the universal backspace.....

Thankfully, it's the same layout, just a little extra metal (which is always better than too little metal)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 08:11:04 »
Wow! Jdcarpe got his name on it! wow!

I let Jd go crazy since he designed all the plates without any compensation (other than the name thing)

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 08:23:20 »
I think the plates are upside down.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 08:28:42 »
How hard will it be to remove the extra metal for two 1x keys compatibility? Honestly I'll probably just put a 2x backspace on it and call it a day.

They all look awesome.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #126 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 08:32:12 »
How hard will it be to remove the extra metal for two 1x keys compatibility? Honestly I'll probably just put a 2x backspace on it and call it a day.

I'm also interested in this :). I'd really love 1x compatibility, since I've basically fallen in love with the true HHKB layout.

If it's difficult to remove the extra metal cleanly, I'd personally be okay waiting for round two – I'm not in any hurry, and if this run was any indication, there's no shortage of people looking for a plate with this particular layout.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #127 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 08:34:06 »

I'm also interested in this :). I'd really love 1x compatibility, since I've basically fallen in love with the true HHKB layout.

If it's difficult to remove the extra metal cleanly, I'd personally be okay waiting for round two – I'm not in any hurry, and if this run was any indication, there's no shortage of people looking for a plate with this particular layout.

I couldn't really say. I've never sanded/filed titanium

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #128 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 08:44:56 »

If you have concerns about it, I'd really be fine waiting for R2 and you could just make this plate available for someone who wants this layout now. To be honest, one of the reasons I was excited for this was for the aesthetics of it (silly, I know) and I'd prefer to avoid obvious blemishes that might occur from filing :). But I have no experience with it, so you might be able to make it look awesome anyways.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 08:58:11 »
Looks like my plate was one that got "bumped." The switch holes in rows don't line up exactly around the F-G and V-B area. Any chance he can re-cut that plate? I don't think it will be usable. :(
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 09:03:29 »
Looks like my plate was one that got "bumped." The switch holes in rows don't line up exactly around the F-G and V-B area. Any chance he can re-cut that plate? I don't think it will be usable. :(

I doubt it, It's going to be even hard to secure compared to the 12" x 48" plate it was cut from.

If you have concerns about it, I'd really be fine waiting for R2 and you could just make this plate available for someone who wants this layout now. To be honest, one of the reasons I was excited for this was for the aesthetics of it (silly, I know) and I'd prefer to avoid obvious blemishes that might occur from filing :). But I have no experience with it, so you might be able to make it look awesome anyways.

If there is an R2...

It's hard to say since I don't have plates in my hand yet

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 09:05:16 »

I doubt it, It's going to be even hard to secure compared to the 12" x 48" plate it was cut from.

Actually, I meant can he re-cut the plate from blank stock. That's a manufacturing defect.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 09:08:09 »

Actually, I meant can he re-cut the plate from blank stock. That's a manufacturing defect.

What blank stock? 8 plates were nested with 3-5" each side to be used to secure the sheet during cutting of the plates. This 3-5" was then used to cut switch tools since if I lost these, it wouldn't be as important and it's not nearly as much cutting time.

So the one sheet mkawa sent has been totally used. There is no other ti sheets at the cutter right now.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 09:10:29 »

What blank stock? 8 plates were nested with 3-5" each side to be used to secure the sheet during cutting of the plates. This 3-5" was then used to cut switch tools since if I lost these, it wouldn't be as important and it's not nearly as much cutting time.

So the one sheet mkawa sent has been totally used. There is no other ti sheets at the cutter right now.

Okay, so I just lose my $75, due to the manufacturer screwing up when he tried to cut it...

I'm cool with waiting on more stock from mkawa, if that's what it takes, but I won't be able to use that plate at all. You shouldn't have to pay the cutter for a defective product, is what I'm saying.

in memoriam

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 09:15:59 »

Okay, so I just lose my $75, due to the manufacturer screwing up when he tried to cut it...

I'm cool with waiting on more stock from mkawa, if that's what it takes, but I won't be able to use that plate at all. You shouldn't have to pay the cutter for a defective product, is what I'm saying.

Hate to pull this, but this is CLEARLY in the OP. I'm sorry you're plate didn't turn out, but the risks are clearly stated in the OP as well as in the PM I sent when collecting payment.

- Since my laser guy hasn't cut titanium, I'm not 100% sure how they will turn out. Therefore, if they don't come out, I will not be refunding anything. I have full confidence in my laser guy, but if they don't come out, they don't come out.
 - Enter this Gb at your own discretion. I also reserve the right to deny entry/sale

- If you have any concerns, ask them BEFORE giving payment!

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 09:18:06 »
There were risks stated in the OP, but it was heavily implied that those risks were around the cutter being able to cut Ti. He can obviously cut Ti, but mistakes were made that were fully within his control. Mkawa has also suggested that more material is available.

I don't believe anyone is suggesting that you should be fixing these out of your own pocket, but it seems like there is an opportunity to have these issues fixed…

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #136 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 09:21:16 »
There were risks stated in the OP, but it was heavily implied that those risks were around the cutter being able to cut Ti. He can obviously cut Ti, but mistakes were made that were fully within his control. Mkawa has also suggested that more material is available.

He typically deals with sheets 4' x 8' long weighing much more than titanium, doing a sheet this small was another risk of cutting since it's not the norm. He thought he could secure it using 3-5" each side, which could have been right or wrong. I can't say, I'm not a laser cutter.

mkawa has suggested that there is more titanium available, but it's not exactly free....

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 09:23:38 »

Hate to pull this, but this is CLEARLY in the OP. I'm sorry you're plate didn't turn out, but the risks are clearly stated in the OP as well as in the PM I sent when collecting payment.

- Since my laser guy hasn't cut titanium, I'm not 100% sure how they will turn out. Therefore, if they don't come out, I will not be refunding anything. I have full confidence in my laser guy, but if they don't come out, they don't come out.
 - Enter this Gb at your own discretion. I also reserve the right to deny entry/sale

- If you have any concerns, ask them BEFORE giving payment!

So, are you going to work with me toward getting this fixed, or do I need to take a different approach with you, sir?

in memoriam

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 09:32:15 »
No one is holding you personally accountable, The_Beast, but you're being quite dismissive and that's what's a little frustrating. Material isn't free, but it's presumably less than $75 and the cutter should be willing to waive his charge at least for the plate that was messed up.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 10:23:29 »
If there is no chance for a Round 2, I'd appreciate it if you'd sell my plate to one of the folks who didn't make it into the first round, and then refund my fee. I unfortunately don't want a plate without the universal backspace and I'd prefer that it not be filed down.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 10:39:32 »
Hey ..... everyone relax.   I will personally drill out anything as long as it's marked clearly where I need to drill?   Shouldn't be difficult based on what I'm looking at.   And I can file out the area and smoother it as well.  Should take me minutes and I will do it for free.    Unless I'm mistaken, it's not much that needs to be filed out.   

skc

Offline kektr0city

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 14:07:56 »
I'm super interested in getting in on this if there's a round 2.  ANSI 1.25x standard Poker plate please!  Also, if there is a future option, I would also be interested in a polished or anodized finish.

Offline fart_toast

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 17:38:52 »
When are we shipping the plates out? Look lovely :)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 17:49:42 »
If there is no chance for a Round 2, I'd appreciate it if you'd sell my plate to one of the folks who didn't make it into the first round, and then refund my fee. I unfortunately don't want a plate without the universal backspace and I'd prefer that it not be filed down.

If you want to sell it, do it and update shipping info to me

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #144 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 18:20:04 »
nvm
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 April 2014, 18:44:50 by riotonthebay »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 15:46:14 »
speaking only as someone who helped facilitate this and not as a staffmember, i can categorically tell you that no one has made any money on this yet. CP4 ASTM B265 titanium is incredibly expensive, but an amazing looking and acting material. i fronted the money for the material, and then the beast helped me out by getting some cut for plates, but we worked hard to make sure that everyone knew that this was the first time this had ever been done by all of us, cutter, the beast, and that there was a risk that something might not turn out.

again, no one has made any money on this. however, a wealth of knowledge has been gained. my material source didn't even know how the material would react to high powered laser cutting, as unalloyed titanium has very interesting behavior at high temps. for example, i approached a heat treater early on and she told me that titanium develops so much scale at heat that heat treating actually completely blows out all tolerances on your stock, by a factor of ten more than eg steel alloys.

so, please please take your lemons and make some lemonade. skcheng has offered to modify the two plates that have minor mistakes with his 12k$ ultrasonic drills _for free_. that is lemonade folks. and yes, there is more material, and yes, it also costs money. if you want a round 2, 3, 4 etc. to happen, taking up skcheng's extremely generous offer and not haranguing the cutter or the beast more than absolutely necessary is probably going to be a better way to go about things than to do otherwise.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #146 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 15:51:28 »
Or, alternately, a vendor on this site could act accoring to the VToS. Just because they partnered with a forum admin in this instance doesn't make them exempt from following the rules.

FYI, I am trying to work something out with The_Beast, and I'm awaiting his reply. And in my opinion, a repaired plate that has visible defects is most definitely not equivalent to a correctly cut plate.

in memoriam

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 16:25:43 »
Or, alternately, a vendor on this site could act accoring to the VToS. Just because they partnered with a forum admin in this instance doesn't make them exempt from following the rules.

Ok, I have a problem with logic in this statement.  What does it have to do with the forum admin partnership?  Seems like you are just not happy with the situation and are going to an extreme here with assigning ranks to everyone.  Pretty sure no one here is saying that you should deal with it BECAUSE they are a vendor or forum administrator.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 18:46:03 »
I've decided not to transfer my plate order to anyone. I'll take it as-is.

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #149 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 20:50:40 »
I've decided not to transfer my plate order to anyone. I'll take it as-is.

I would have done the same, no BS. If round 2 ends up falling through, you suddenly have a very rare, unique and desirable item IMHO. And if round 2 happens, you can always just put it back up for sale, it's not like it's going to lose value. I think the line is long enough here that not everyone is going to get in on round 2, assuming it happens.

I'm still trying to come up with some lemonade for jdcarpe...can anyone think of anything cool to do with it? Is it salvageable? If someone comes up with a cool idea for it, I'll certainly consider buying it.