Author Topic: AcidFire's modular keyboard system - Axios [In Development]  (Read 657460 times)

Offline AcidFire

• Axios - The Open Source Modular Ergonomic Keyboard
Re: AcidFire's custom keyboard aka The Grand Piano
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 17:26:20 »
Are u open to us sending you money to get an extra board with your order?

No problem. :)

Sorry, though I do appreciate all the enthusiasm :) Once I've got them up and running I'll be open to taking applications for a closed beta, will probably do 10-20 beta sets to get some proper feedback. This will all come down to timing, as producing beta testing units will be expensive for me and I really hate the idea of asking for cash to participate in the testing. Hopefully it'll work out timewise that a successful run on kickstarter would pay for beta units as part of the development process, so we'll see.

Offline bbl

« Reply #101 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 22:53:38 »
What is the timeline for mass-production and shipment?  Based on your progress, it looks we can see the final product by the end of this year. 

Also, a few suggestions:
1. Have legend keycaps to ensure there is a higher level of acceptance at Kickstarter.
2. Offer a choice of cases.  As you know, acrylic has a number of drawbacks.  Aluminium will probably have problem with wireless.  Have you considered carbon fiber?  It will be the coolest KB in the market.
3. If you can put a trackpoint/trackball on the right-hand side (in your future development), it will be my ideal KB.

Offline ShallowMoon

« Reply #102 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 07:19:11 »
You should compare Kickstarter to a website called Indiegogo, I heard they take less commission compared to Kickstarter.

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #103 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 10:15:42 »
What is the timeline for mass-production and shipment?  Based on your progress, it looks we can see the final product by the end of this year. 

Also, a few suggestions:
1. Have legend keycaps to ensure there is a higher level of acceptance at Kickstarter.
2. Offer a choice of cases.  As you know, acrylic has a number of drawbacks.  Aluminium will probably have problem with wireless.  Have you considered carbon fiber?  It will be the coolest KB in the market.
3. If you can put a trackpoint/trackball on the right-hand side (in your future development), it will be my ideal KB.
1. I absolutely agree, and once I've got a better idea of what I need I'll be talking to someone like SP to make this happen.
2. That's the plan, though not initially. While the acrylic definitely has its drawbacks, it's the cheapest medium for me to produce cases at the start. I do however plan to offer additional styles/materials as overage goals on the kickstarter.
3. Thats definitely on the list, as a programmer I would prefer not to move my hands off my keyboard just to highlight a snippet of text. What I'm hoping to do is offer one as part of the modular thumb system in the near future.

You should compare Kickstarter to a website called Indiegogo, I heard they take less commission compared to Kickstarter.
I have, and while Indiegogo is nice for fees and the fact that you can do flex funding, they don't attract nearly the traffic or attention that projects on kickstarter do. We know several people who have campaigned on both platforms and we've been told time and again that kickstarter was the much bigger draw/success.

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #104 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 20:32:49 »
So, since my first revision board layouts have gone in, control electronics have been ordered, and quote requests sent for keys & caps, I did a quick test layout for the RGB board:

Unfortunately, the default footprint for the led I have in mind is a bit too big. I'm not yet deterred, I have a couple ideas on how to reduce them to fit.

Offline BlueByLiquid

« Reply #105 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 20:37:01 »
What about a diagonal layout at the corners? Should give you more rooms as the switches are rounded and pins can hang out on both sides

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #106 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 17:40:13 »

It definitely works out better, however I'd have to do some real world testing to see how well they light a key evenly.

Offline BlueByLiquid

« Reply #107 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 19:06:13 »
It definitely works out better, however I'd have to do some real world testing to see how well they light a key evenly.

Don't know if you remember but I mentioned I did testing like this with the offset layout like you did here with surface mount parts and it actually works out much much better because when they are centered you are splitting one of the bars of the plus sign with each led. This way it works out much much better because you fill the well of the keys and results in much more even coloring. Also it helps shin through the keys because the bars of the plus sign are much much thicker.

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #108 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 23:01:46 »

Don't know if you remember but I mentioned I did testing like this with the offset layout like you did here with surface mount parts and it actually works out much much better because when they are centered you are splitting one of the bars of the plus sign with each led. This way it works out much much better because you fill the well of the keys and results in much more even coloring. Also it helps shin through the keys because the bars of the plus sign are much much thicker.

Very true, do you remember what viewing angle the LEDs you tested were?

Offline BlueByLiquid

« Reply #109 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 23:25:55 »
Hmmm. That is a great question and I remember making spreedsheets but I need to find them but it is one of those loss of hard drive things. I remember looking at a number of them. The only one I can think of right of the bat was the first one I did a quick test on. It is obviously WAY too big but it is what I had on hand because it is very common in arduino work. That one is the 5050 https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10866

Not really too helpful but I know most of them looked very good that were much smaller viewing angles (don't remember how small) as long as you used two. I didn't do as many tests with four LEDs because I didn't know I could wire four. I would imagine you could get pretty narrow unless you have completely transparent keycaps as they will serve as a diffuser.

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #110 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 00:26:31 »
Hmmm. That is a great question and I remember making spreedsheets but I need to find them but it is one of those loss of hard drive things. I remember looking at a number of them. The only one I can think of right of the bat was the first one I did a quick test on. It is obviously WAY too big but it is what I had on hand because it is very common in arduino work. That one is the 5050 https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10866

Not really too helpful but I know most of them looked very good that were much smaller viewing angles (don't remember how small) as long as you used two. I didn't do as many tests with four LEDs because I didn't know I could wire four. I would imagine you could get pretty narrow unless you have completely transparent keycaps as they will serve as a diffuser.

Actually thats perfect as that answers my question, the LEDs I put the pads down have the same viewing angle. Your right though, the ones I have are a fair bit narrower @ 1.6mm. I've got it marked higher on my list, possibly as an overage goal for kickstarter.

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 19:00:23 »
So, a quick update for those of you who might be interested in a kit. I've got my first round of quotes back, and for PCBs:
Each kit is 2x Main, 2x Thumb, 1x CPU
50   - $34.00
125 - $19.80
250 - $15.12
Keep in mind, this doesn't include the setup costs which is roughly $175/board for the main & thumb. I've also asked them to quote me for 500 kits.

Also, SP got back to me with some numbers as well. The kit as I requested it:
- 58x Size 1 DSA
- 14x Size 1.5 DSA
- 6x Size 2 DSA

Kit 1 - Clear ABS - Blank
100 sets                 $28.28 per set
150 sets                 $27.77 per set
200 sets                 $27.51 per set
250 sets                 $27.36 per set
500 sets                 $27.05 per set

Kit 2 - Clear ABS, Vinyl Coating (Black) to allow for etching
100 sets                 $50.59 per set
150 sets                 $50.10 per set
200 sets                 $49.85 per set
250 sets                 $49.71 per set
500 sets                 $49.41 per set

I haven't asked them for the regular caps yet as these were the prices I was more interested in. The clear ABS is pretty reasonable. The coated black seem a bit pricy, but I've also never seen the finish on them either. Melissa @ SP is sending me a couple of the coated keys to try out in the laser and see if they're worth getting, in the meantime I'm going to do a bit more reading and see if I can come up with a better solution.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 23:09:21 »
So, a quick update for those of you who might be interested in a kit. I've got my first round of quotes back, and for PCBs:
50   - $34.00
125 - $19.80
250 - $15.12
Keep in mind, this doesn't include the setup costs which is roughly $175/board for the main & thumb. I've also asked them to quote me for 500 kits.

- 58x Size 1 DSA
- 14x Size 1.5 DSA
- 6x Size 2 DSA

I haven't asked them for the regular caps yet as these were the prices I was more interested in. The clear ABS is pretty reasonable. The coated black seem a bit pricy, but I've also never seen the finish on them either. Melissa @ SP is sending me a couple of the coated keys to try out in the laser and see if they're worth getting, in the meantime I'm going to do a bit more reading and see if I can come up with a better solution.

There is a clear pbt/polycarb blend that may be interesting as a premium set.

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #113 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 17:17:39 »
There is a clear pbt/polycarb blend that may be interesting as a premium set.

Good to know, I'll have to look into it. I've also messaged GMK to see if I can get pricing for a full set of keys w/ LED windows.

Also, I found a bit of time to sit down and better outline what I have planned for the initial stage of this project.

*** Revision 1 Features ***
- 80-102 Keys (varies depending on choosen thumbpad layout)
- 80-102 Individually addressable LEDs, one for each key, single color, brightness adjustable including fades
- Interchangable thumb pads, large variety to choose from
- Thumb pads sit 9mm lower than main keys for a more natural position
- Each half can operate individually (2 USB ports) or together (1 USB port + connecting cable)
- Customizable Layout - 8 Layers to start, expandable w/ add on
- Programmable macros for every key on each layer
- Layouts & macros stored on board, take them with the board
- GUI interface for programming layouts & macros
- Simple API for controlling keyboard LEDs over serial
- 6KRO+modifiers w/ USB, NKRO w/ PS/2 Option
- Breakout headers - keys, LEDs, I2C bus, ISP headers for everything on the board for easy hackability
- Mini-B USB connector
- Accepts Cherry MX switches (may look into an Alps version)
- Slick black PCBs w/ white silkscreening
- Laser cut acrylic case

** Optional **
- Laser cut acrylic tenting add on, including pieces for 5, 10, 15 & 20 degrees
- PS/2 connector (Need to find the connectors for making cables)

** Main Board **
- ATTINY828 controller
- Doubled sided, reversible PCB design
- 4 i2c addresses available - 2 for left, 2 for right
- Simple i2c commands for scanning keys or setting LEDs
- 32 Keys Per Side
 - 25 Size 1x
 - 7  Size 1.5x
- Using the middle finger as a reference:
 - Pinkie Add. - 5x size 1.5 - 8mm lower
 - Pinkie - 5x size 1 - 8mm lower
 - Ring - 5x size 1 - 2mm lower
 - Index - 5x size 1 - 4mm lower
 - Index Add. - 4x size 1 - 6mm lower
 - Index Add. - 1x size 1, 2x size 1.5 - 6mm lower

** Thumb Board **
- ATTINY828 controller
- Doubled sided, reversible PCB design
- 4 i2c addresses available - 2 for left, 2 for right (different from main board)
- Simple i2c commands for scanning keys or setting LEDs
- 8-11 Keys per side, depending on layout
- 9mm drop, 25 degree angle from main layout
- Variety of layouts possible, 5 minutes to switch/change

** CPU Board **
- ATMEGA 32U4 controller
- Double ended design, allowing for use in left or right half
- MiniB-USB port
- header for optional PS/2 cable
- 2-4 i2c addresses for daisy chaining

*** Licensing ***
- Hardware & Software will be released CC BY-SA, most likely after the first revision is made available commercially (aka successful kickstarter.)

*** Future Revisions/Addons ***
- 10 Key Pad Addon
 - Can be added to left or right
 - Reversible PCB
 - Addressable LEDs

- Base Station Addon
 - 16 key matrix assignable by layer
 - 16 Addressable LEDs for keys
 - 4 Additional RGB status LEDs
 - Possible bluetooth hub for computers without bluetooth radio
 - Additional power, providing a faster recharge rate for bluetooth addons

- Keyless Base Station Addon
  - Possible bluetooth hub for computers without bluetooth radio
 - Additional power, providing a faster recharge rate for bluetooth addons

- Bluetooth Wireless Addon
 - Independent radio & battery for each half, completely wireless
 - User replaceable 3.7v 2000mah LIPO battery
 - Recharge via USB cables
 - Board switches to USB automatically when plugged in
 - Windows/Linux/OSX/iOS/Android compatible
 - Switch between 8-16 bluetooth devices at the touch of a button

- Memory Addon
 - Expandable memory allows for more layers & macros to be stored

- Trackpoint Addon
 - Adds a trackpoint mouse to either thumb, with mouse buttons assignable to any key or a second set of buttons on the opposite half

- Footswitch Addon
 - Assignable for each layer
 - Multiple switches supported

- Bling Addon
 - Plate replacement board, with 4 RGB leds per key, each key retains its addressability
 - Additional RGB LEDs for the clear 6mm pieces, letting you turn your board into something out of Tron

Hopefully that covers everything for now and clarifies the direction I plan to take this in.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 July 2013, 17:54:12 by AcidFire »

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 17:35:52 »
So let me get this straight, it's modular. Damn, now I'm going to have to spend a fortune buying keyboard modules.
Not that I'm complaining  :D.

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 17:49:19 »
So let me get this straight, it's modular. Damn, now I'm going to have to spend a fortune buying keyboard modules.
Not that I'm complaining  :D.

Modular and then some ;) This is what happens when you grow up with a minor Lego obsession, you develop this desire to not be tied to just one design.

As for the modules, with maybe the exception of the bluetooth addon, everything I'll make available seperately, thumb pads, addons, etc. will not face a ridiculous mark up. To give you an example, I plan to release thumb pad modules w/ everything included (PCB, plate, switches, caps) at around the $20-25 dollar mark. This whole project started because I wanted something smarter, more comfortable at a rate that I could afford myself. I'd be very hypocritical to turn around and make it super expensive.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 July 2013, 18:40:04 by AcidFire »

Offline BlueByLiquid

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 18:22:57 »
You probably don't want completely (or near completely transparent/clear keycaps). The LEDs will not diffuse and it looks fairly poor. I would recommend asking SP about a semi transparent set not clear. Have you seen my video of the led lighting I did for my Kinesis a few weeks back? Those are semi transparent and the diffuse fairly well but not completely I would image anything less and it would be difficult to look at even with wide angle LEDs

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 18:32:29 »
You probably don't want completely (or near completely transparent/clear keycaps). The LEDs will not diffuse and it looks fairly poor. I would recommend asking SP about a semi transparent set not clear. Have you seen my video of the led lighting I did for my Kinesis a few weeks back? Those are semi transparent and the diffuse fairly well but not completely I would image anything less and it would be difficult to look at even with wide angle LEDs

I asked but unfortunately was told that they don't have anything semi transparent, so I'd probably have to look elsewhere. Perhaps something I need to ask GMK about.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
Re: AcidFire's custom split keyboard aka The Grand Piano
« Reply #118 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 20:54:06 »

I asked but unfortunately was told that they don't have anything semi transparent, so I'd probably have to look elsewhere. Perhaps something I need to ask GMK about.
They do, the frosted pbt/poly caps. They just don't have full sets yet.

And those module prices sound great. Especially if they're offered without switches too (I have a bunch of extra whites to use for everything).

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 23:30:00 »
50   - $34.00
125 - $19.80
250 - $15.12

- 58x Size 1 DSA
- 14x Size 1.5 DSA
- 6x Size 2 DSA

So about $250+switches for a fully functional board? That's very nice!
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 23:40:45 »
Because I can't leave well enough alone while I wait (impatiently) for my PCBs, I think I've nailed it for the case design. I've eliminated the need for nuts, and the design only uses 20mm M3 screws now. I also designed a stand to tent them properly:

While designing the stand, I had an epiphany, made a design tweak and...

should make it quite comfortable to use with a laptop without using a ton of extra desk space.

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 23:41:59 »

Actually, if I get the numbers back that I'm hoping for for the switches, it should be more like $200 including caps & switches.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 00:04:27 »
i like updated tenting/feet

very much interested in joining in on this kit.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 00:23:26 »
I love it, it looks amazing.

Offline Larken

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 00:29:35 »

Actually, if I get the numbers back that I'm hoping for for the switches, it should be more like $200 including caps & switches.

definitely interested in getting one if that's the range the price will be at. looking great.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 04:25:58 »
Can you post more pictures of the tenting system. Interested, I might use something like this for my upcoming Ergodox.

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 03:08:27 »
Can you post more pictures of the tenting system. Interested, I might use something like this for my upcoming Ergodox.

Hopefully these are helpful to you:

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #127 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 08:07:16 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Goodness gracious!  That is a beautiful prototype!

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #128 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 09:15:13 »
Ooo! Me want!
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #129 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 09:19:20 »
Thanks, those should help

Offline tgujay

« Reply #130 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 09:56:50 »
My god, this project is beautiful.  Sexiest keyboard.
Gotta collect them all

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #131 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 10:33:04 »
I agree. You have a great sense for design, AcidFire.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #132 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 10:41:47 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Thanks folks, the encouragement is much appreciated and very gratifying considering this is my first kick at the can with custom mech keyboards :)

Offline tgujay

« Reply #133 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 11:12:37 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Thanks folks, the encouragement is much appreciated and very gratifying considering this is my first kick at the can with custom mech keyboards :)

Wat.  Impossible.
Gotta collect them all

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #134 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 11:21:04 »
this is my first kick at the can with custom mech keyboards :)

I don't believe you one bit.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #135 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 11:35:47 »
Wat.  Impossible.

Haha, seriously. With the exception of my Amiga 500 w/ NMB Hi-Tek switches, I've never owned a proper mech keyboard, nor was properly aware of their existence until early June. I was down in Seattle for the Mini Maker Faire, was visiting the Metrix Create Space and one of the fellows there was working on a custom wired board using browns I think wired to a Teensy 3.0. This peaked my interest as I love this kind of customization (or customization of any kind, I like making things my own) and a bit of research led me from the Kinesis boards to the ErgoDox to here. I have to give credit to Litster for his original design, without his I think mine would be quite different (and not in a good way.)

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #136 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 11:40:22 »
Wat.  Impossible.

Haha, seriously. With the exception of my Amiga 500 w/ NMB Hi-Tek switches, I've never owned a proper mech keyboard, nor was properly aware of their existence until early June. I was down in Seattle for the Mini Maker Faire, was visiting the Metrix Create Space and one of the fellows there was working on a custom wired board using browns I think wired to a Teensy 3.0. This peaked my interest as I love this kind of customization (or customization of any kind, I like making things my own) and a bit of research led me from the Kinesis boards to the ErgoDox to here. I have to give credit to Litster for his original design, without his I think mine would be quite different (and not in a good way.)

Sweet. So you built your fist real keyboard?
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #137 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 12:01:00 »
Pretty much. I have a tendency to jump in with both feet whenever I get into something new :D

Offline thadood

« Reply #138 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 13:38:08 »
Any chance of that those stands being compatible with the regular Ergodox case? =p

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
« Reply #139 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 13:41:03 »
It all looks really well made, nice work. PS: You could sell this.
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #140 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 14:24:41 »
Any chance of that those stands being compatible with the regular Ergodox case? =p
I could probably design a similar stand for the ergodox, depending on how much interest there is.

Thank you! I've had such positive & encouraging feedback that I'm moving towards making these available for sale. I'm currently looking at:
Case+Electronics = $120.00
Case+Electronics+Switches -or- Caps = $160.00
Case+Electronics+Switches+Caps = $200.00
Completely Assembled+Tested = $250.00

Depending on what kind of funding I get, I'm also looking to offer injection molded & anodized aluminum cases.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #141 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 14:41:27 »
How hard would the kits be to put together? i guess im not worried about the amount of time more im more worried about the SMD stuff, would the SMD components be presoldered? $160 not bad though case i already have switches.

any case that doesn't attract fingerprints would be nice, maybe even a matte surface acrylic, i dislike shiny acrylic on keyboards, specially clear and especially one that my sweaty greasy hands palms would rest on.

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #142 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 14:50:19 »
All the components, with the exception of the switches, will be SMD placed, so assembly will entail mounting and soldering your switches and assembling the case.

I agree about the acrylic, tho the shiny black does look pretty slick, even with some fingerprints.

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #143 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 15:04:21 »
I could probably design a similar stand for the ergodox, depending on how much interest there is.

Thank you! I've had such positive & encouraging feedback that I'm moving towards making these available for sale. I'm currently looking at:

Depending on what kind of funding I get, I'm also looking to offer injection molded & anodized aluminum cases.

Let me know when I can throw money at you.

Seriously.

;D

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #144 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 15:10:00 »

Let me know when I can throw money at you.

Seriously.

;D

Keep watching this space, hopefully the first details for the kickstarter will go up in august :D

Out of curiousity, what types of switches would everyone be looking for? I've got a quote request out to a few places for pretty much all the common colors, but it would be helpful to have a bit more of a solid idea.

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #145 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 15:13:30 »
I think clear and green would be very nice.

Or maybe other rarer switches would be nice (I am looking forward to super-black lol)
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 15:13:36 »
White.

I ran a gb and still get PMs from people wanting some of them. You could buy every white switch cherry ever made and sell out.

Clear/green is popular too.

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #147 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 15:16:17 »
Keep watching this space, hopefully the first details for the kickstarter will go up in august :D

Out of curiousity, what types of switches would everyone be looking for? I've got a quote request out to a few places for pretty much all the common colors, but it would be helpful to have a bit more of a solid idea.

For myself, I've already got the switches I want to use.  Judging from expressed interest in other threads, I would suggest MX Clear, White, and Greens.  But I've also seen people lately looking for MX Brown, so I may be off base.

Maybe see what you can get, let people choose from those options? 

Offline xman

« Reply #148 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 15:34:30 »

Also, I found a bit of time to sit down and better outline what I have planned for the initial stage of this project.

*** Revision 1 Features ***
- 6KRO+modifiers w/ USB, NKRO w/ PS/2 Option

Is full NKRO over PS2 just a possibility?
Or has it actually been functionally tested?

What I'm asking is if you know if the KB controller
that you have in mind has a history of actually being
capable of doing full NKRO over PS2.

Having that capability, plus using Soarer's converter,
will result in full NKRO over USB.
And that will be 100% working on everything, including Macs.

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #149 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 15:39:28 »
For myself, I've already got the switches I want to use.  Judging from expressed interest in other threads, I would suggest MX Clear, White, and Greens.  But I've also seen people lately looking for MX Brown, so I may be off base.

Maybe see what you can get, let people choose from those options? 

I should be able to get anything thats currently in production, the biggest thing is ordering in numbers large enough to get a solid discount on so I can make the kits cheaper. On that note, is a small premium ($10-20) for the less commonly found, like the greens or reds, a reasonable thing?

Is full NKRO over PS2 just a possibility?
Or has it actually been functionally tested?

What I'm asking is if you know if the KB controller
that you have in mind has a history of actually being
capable of doing full NKRO over PS2.

Having that capability, plus using Soarer's converter,
will result in full NKRO over USB.
And that will be 100% working on everything, including Macs.

The library I'm working from is set up for it, and I know the controller can handle it, but at this point I don't have my boards yet on hand to test it for myself, but I plan to make it happen one way or the other. Would you mind linking me to Soarer's converter?