Author Topic: [GB] 96KEE - 96-key Alu Kit (production finished, shipping from factory soon)  (Read 86630 times)

Offline LoneCenturian75

Re: [GB] 96KEE - 96-key Alu Kit (production finished, shipping from factory soon)
« Reply #200 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 08:24:29 »
Just finished the build and got it remapped (thanks for the help)! Absolutely perfect thank you for putting this buy together!

Did you put LED's in your switches, or is that just from the board?  Nice Work!

Only in the board they shine through a little cause of the clear switch housing.

Offline aplus01

Re: [GB] 96KEE - 96-key Alu Kit (production finished, shipping from factory soon)
« Reply #201 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 09:35:24 »
I'm having trouble getting the bootmapper client to do what I want. Clicking "Toggle Bootmapper" doesn't seem to do anything.

Same thing happened to me. Update your firmware. Download and extract the following:

https://github.com/showjean/ps2avrU/releases

Open bootmapper, go to options, find the big firmware upload button and click it, select the ps2avrGB_NKRO.hex file from the folder you just extracted. Should work after that.

Thanks for the reply!

Which is the correct firmware for this board? ps2avrGB, right? Don't want to try and flash the wrong one and create a bigger headache.

Offline DesignWonk

« Reply #202 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 09:55:50 »
I'm having trouble getting the bootmapper client to do what I want. Clicking "Toggle Bootmapper" doesn't seem to do anything.

Same thing happened to me. Update your firmware. Download and extract the following:

Open bootmapper, go to options, find the big firmware upload button and click it, select the ps2avrGB_NKRO.hex file from the folder you just extracted. Should work after that.

Wait, I did this, and now the keyboard is dead and it says "error opening PS2avrGB device. the specified device can't be found. I was able to get it to work before, but I had one key I couldn't find (right shift), and the toggle bootmapper didn't work, though I was able to change them manually.

Offline aplus01

« Reply #203 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 10:01:16 »
Wait, I did this, and now the keyboard is dead and it says "error opening PS2avrGB device. the specified device can't be found. I was able to get it to work before, but I had one key I couldn't find (right shift), and the toggle bootmapper didn't work, though I was able to change them manually.

Sorry to hear that. I have another PS2avrgb board that has the same issue. If you find a solution let me know.

I had others recommend using different USB ports or different cables and see if that gets you to a point where the bootmapper client can detect the board. Those suggestions didn't work for me though.

Offline DesignWonk

« Reply #204 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 11:38:49 »
Yeah, it's a bit of a disaster. I reflashed the firmware which worked just fine. But the keymapper doesn't work, and the computer doesn't recognize the device.

I don't know if this is helpful for you (it's a disaster for me), but all I did was mess with my new keyboard, and now my old keyboard (also PS2AVR) doesn't get recognized anymore either.

Which leads me to believe it's a driver conflict issue? Since they both enter flash mode just fine.

Offline aplus01

« Reply #205 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 13:02:46 »
Yeah, it's a bit of a disaster. I reflashed the firmware which worked just fine. But the keymapper doesn't work, and the computer doesn't recognize the device.

I don't know if this is helpful for you (it's a disaster for me), but all I did was mess with my new keyboard, and now my old keyboard (also PS2AVR) doesn't get recognized anymore either.

Which leads me to believe it's a driver conflict issue? Since they both enter flash mode just fine.

Interesting, I didn't consider it might be a driver issue. My other board an ALU84 doesn't enter flash mode anymore :(

So you're, back up and running? Or still stuck? What firmware did you try to upgrade to?

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #206 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 02:48:47 »

The fix for me with my ps2avrgb board is to plug it into a usb3 port. no hubs, nothing, and it works. Never found a fix but a temporary solution is more permanent than you think lol

Offline skyybaby

« Reply #207 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 07:57:25 »
I built mine last night. Not going to lie. I'm pretty dissapointed...

My plate was bent pretty bad and it caused my switches over by the arrow keys to not sit flush and is bothering the **** out of me.

My zealios fit super loose in the plate. This caused many of my switches to be slightly rotated.

The damn screws to screw the pcb in are not magnetic. I haven't been able to screw in my pcb because of this because I'll get 1 or 2 in and then I drop a screw in and I can't get it out. This is honestly the most frustrating.

The tolerances around the pcb for the case is not good. The top and left side have a very noticeable gap that is pretty bad looking.

I'm having the toggle bootmapper issue as well. It makes reprogramming not very easy. I'm also waiting to find a fix because I don't want to brick my board like others have done here.

The NumLock LED is on all the time whenever I want to use the numbers on the number pad, which is all the time? Why is it not the opposite way where the LED turns on when I disable my number pad?? I can't edit the LEDs in Bootmapper at this moment as well. But that might have to do with the firmware issues that others are having.

There are a few pros though....

The finish on the case is great, and the pcb turned out very nice. Overall this could be a great board but now I've got to desolder the entire damn thing and try to get my plate straightened out. Does anyone know what size screws I need for the pcb attaching to the case? I need to find magnetic screws....

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #208 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 08:02:10 »

My plate was bent pretty bad and it caused my switches over by the arrow keys to not sit flush and is bothering the **** out of me.

My zealios fit super loose in the plate. This caused many of my switches to be slightly rotated.

The damn screws to screw the pcb in are not magnetic. I haven't been able to screw in my pcb because of this because I'll get 1 or 2 in and then I drop a screw in and I can't get it out. This is honestly the most frustrating.

The tolerances around the pcb for the case is not good. The top and left side have a very noticeable gap that is pretty bad looking.

I'm having the toggle bootmapper issue as well. It makes reprogramming not very easy. I'm also waiting to find a fix because I don't want to brick my board like others have done here.

The NumLock LED is on all the time whenever I want to use the numbers on the number pad, which is all the time? Why is it not the opposite way where the LED turns on when I disable my number pad?? I can't edit the LEDs in Bootmapper at this moment as well. But that might have to do with the firmware issues that others are having.

The finish on the case is great, and the pcb turned out very nice. Overall this could be a great board but now I've got to desolder the entire damn thing and try to get my plate straightened out. Does anyone know what size screws I need for the pcb attaching to the case? I need to find magnetic screws....
Why not just get a magnetic screwdriver?

Offline skyybaby

« Reply #209 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 08:04:54 »

I do have one. The screws are not magnetic whatsoever.

Offline aplus01

« Reply #210 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 08:11:56 »

Yeah the screw issue is definitely a pain in the ass. I have only got two screws in successfully. And I'm hoping that numlock light is configurable via firmware.

Has anyone gotten the firmware upgraded successfully? I'm hesitant to mess with it until I can get some steps to follow that work. Should I install the latest version of the firmware?

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #211 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 08:12:45 »
skyybaby - sorry to hear you have concerns, if you want to discuss anything please reach out (dj at mehkee.com).

I think it would have made the most sense to email us when you received the board if the plate was bent. We had everything QC'ed twice, so that should have been caught.

With respect to screws - in general (99% of the time), screws are not magnetic as they also touch contact points on the PCB. The screwdriver is usually the one with the magnetized head.

With respect to the switches, we recommended multiple times that people use PCB-mounted switches. All switch housings have different tolerances and there is no perfect plate for all switches. There is also more of the chance of shifting plate-mounted switches because people wanted switchtop opening functionality so there are tiny gaps on the side to allow for it.

NumLock LED being on when NumLock is on is an industry standard. Just like when CapsLock is On, the LED is On. You can disable the LED when programming it.

For everyone else - haven't had the chance to read this thread in detail, but please reach out with questions. Programming support will be a bit deprioritized at the moment, but there seem to be many smart people here to help out. It seems many people are having issues with BootMapper Client. On the multiple e-mails that I have had with people, it seems almost every case was resolved due to driver conflicts or user error (it happens!).

Offline skyybaby

« Reply #212 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 08:19:53 »
skyybaby - sorry to hear you have concerns, if you want to discuss anything please reach out (dj at mehkee.com).

I think it would have made the most sense to email us when you received the board if the plate was bent. We had everything QC'ed twice, so that should have been caught.

With respect to screws - in general (99% of the time), screws are not magnetic as they also touch contact points on the PCB. The screwdriver is usually the one with the magnetized head.

With respect to the switches, we recommended multiple times that people use PCB-mounted switches. All switch housings have different tolerances and there is no perfect plate for all switches. There is also more of the chance of shifting plate-mounted switches because people wanted switchtop opening functionality so there are tiny gaps on the side to allow for it.

NumLock LED being on when NumLock is on is an industry standard. Just like when CapsLock is On, the LED is On. You can disable the LED when programming it.

For everyone else - haven't had the chance to read this thread in detail, but please reach out with questions. Programming support will be a bit deprioritized at the moment, but there seem to be many smart people here to help out. It seems many people are having issues with BootMapper Client. On the multiple e-mails that I have had with people, it seems almost every case was resolved due to driver conflicts or user error (it happens!).

I think I can fix the plate issue. I was just in a hurry and didn't notice it until the end. But I clipped my zealios because I could not get the pegs to fit in the PCB, and yeah I know that zealios are known for having slightly large pegs. But it is also too late for that as they've already been clipped. Sorry if I came off as angry. These issues can mostly be remedied by some desoldering and taking more time. I'm scared to update my firmware to program the num pad led though because I don't want to break the board, and currently that area on bootmapper is greyed out and I can't control that or the caps lock LED. I can do the underglow though and that looks very nice.

Back to the screw issue though. How in the world can I screw them in? I have a magnetic screw driver but it will not grab the screws at all, plus my magnetic tray doesn't even attract them. Are they aluminum or something?

Offline smt

• I like keyboards
    • smt.io
« Reply #213 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 09:01:53 »
Back to the screw issue though. How in the world can I screw them in? I have a magnetic screw driver but it will not grab the screws at all, plus my magnetic tray doesn't even attract them. Are they aluminum or something?

I usually use tweezers to put the screw down through the plate to its spot on the PCB. Every time I try it with a screwdriver, I disappoint myself.
HHKB Pro 2 | FC660C | Clueboards | MOD-M Custom | MiniVan | Preonic | Planck | Let's Split | Anne Pro | WASD CODE TKL

Offline LoneCenturian75

« Reply #214 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 09:15:38 »

I could send you the hex file of the layout I have programmed if you'd like if it would help

Offline DesignWonk

« Reply #215 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 09:33:59 »

Interesting, I didn't consider it might be a driver issue. My other board an ALU84 doesn't enter flash mode anymore :(

So you're, back up and running? Or still stuck? What firmware did you try to upgrade to?

Nah, still stuck. Both (hopefully temporarily) bricked. DJ says most have been driver conflicts, so I assume I'm the same. After 2 years building mechs, trying different ergo mice, 3D mice for CAD and Wacom Monitors for Illustrator, I have a TON of drivers on my workhorse. Though my VR rig has far fewer and pops up the same problem. So, as I type this on my Mactop, I'm not feeling very PCMasterrace. Already ordered a leopold 980M as a stopgap since I'll probably save an hour of frustration working on a smaller profile and I need the numpad.

Offline DesignWonk

« Reply #216 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 09:37:03 »
Oh, though if anyone knows for certain what firmware, i thought I had the latest. But a zip- link and the exact file name syntax would be helpful.

Offline cynviloq

[GB] 96KEE - 96-key Alu Kit (production finished, shipping from factory soon)
« Reply #217 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 09:43:42 »
I'll read the thread in more detail on the current programming issues and reach out to people to gather some data on what they're using or used to get it to work.

I'll try and collate some information this weekend to understand and hope to provide a recommendation / link to software next week. I would not want to give a recommendation blind without some tests and feedback but understand the urgency for guidance at some level.

If you do want to PM me or email me with your firmware details (version) and environment (win7/10 or Mac or Linux os) and any other relevant details, that would be appreciated. (Simpler is better for me to collate and I may not respond immediately but I will have read them all by end of this weekend)

Offline skidude9678

« Reply #218 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 10:03:04 »

I ended up putting a little dab of toothpaste on the screwdriver so that the screws would stick to it. Huge pain in the ass with the screws not attracting a magnet, but this seemed to work for me.

Has anyone gotten the firmware upgraded successfully? I'm hesitant to mess with it until I can get some steps to follow that work. Should I install the latest version of the firmware?

Updating the firmware worked fine for me, but apparently it has bricked other people's boards so do so at your own risk. Perhaps the Firmware people downloaded was wrong, or I just got lucky? I just googled the problem I was having, found a random post with instructions on updating the firmware, used the ps2avrGB firmware linked in that post (linked to https://github.com/showjean/ps2avrU/releases and I downloaded the file ps2avrGB_firmware_V1.4.0_171019.zip and therein used the file ps2avrGB_NKRO.hex), and it worked. Bootmapper now works as intended for keymapping and setting the LEDs, and shows as properly using ps2avrGB version 1.4.0.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 December 2017, 10:20:03 by skidude9678 »

Offline mkzealots

please delete
« Reply #219 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 07:14:35 »
please delete
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 December 2017, 12:27:43 by mkzealots »

Offline mkzealots

please delete
« Reply #220 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 08:33:00 »
please delete
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 December 2017, 12:28:38 by mkzealots »

Offline boardinbum

« Reply #221 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 22:16:16 »
So i setup my keyboard using a mac. For some reason after i updated the firmware(ps2avrGB_firmware_V1.4.0_171019) i was getting weird character inputs from some of my key presses.(not all but some) It wouldnt even let me properly configure it in the program. Alot of the keys were overlapping each other in the program for some weird reason when trying to program it. At this point i thought maybe it was a shotty solder job. I was pretty frustrated, so i said hey why not restart my computer and see if that helps. I did and after it turned back on all of my key presses working totally fine. Im not sure if it was some weird driver issue but that wasnt a fun experience. Everything is working totally fine now. phew. I do have a welfare96 also that uses Bootmapper and didnt have these kinds of problems. Just wanted others to know my experience with my build.

Offline Axiomatik

« Reply #222 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 20:09:58 »
Got mine in last week. I'm also going to wait a bit to build.

Also I'm still waiting on the other items from my order. Should they have arrived by now? (Switch tester and lube)
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 December 2017, 01:56:45 by Axiomatik »
-Axiomatik

Offline aplus01

« Reply #223 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 00:47:55 »
I followed the same steps that were outlined by skidude9678 and I'm up and running.

Successfully flashed the latest firmware (from ps2avrGB_firmware_V1.4.0_171019.zip) and was able to get bootmapper client to enter "toggle bootmapper" mode. Didn't have any issues. I had my board hooked up to a usb 3.0 port and things just worked.  :cool:

Offline DesignWonk

« Reply #224 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 10:40:07 »
Yeah, I managed to get the bootmapper toggle working, but after uploading it just processes for hours and doesn't complete, even if I just encode one key. So I guess I get to wait until DJ has the time to respond to software after dealing with hardware issues.

Offline aplus01

« Reply #225 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 12:47:05 »
Yeah, I managed to get the bootmapper toggle working, but after uploading it just processes for hours and doesn't complete, even if I just encode one key. So I guess I get to wait until DJ has the time to respond to software after dealing with hardware issues.

I've seen that before. I was able to get it to complete by using a different USB port. I was just getting a "Waiting" prompt  and it never errored or completed.

Offline hehe13

« Reply #226 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 12:47:20 »

While waiting for my switches, some light test! This could be my temporary holiday tree as this has more colors the our xmas light.

About the screws, I think I have too many small screws and Im not sure where to put them. A pix would be great.

Offline aplus01

« Reply #227 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 15:01:49 »
About the screws, I think I have too many small screws and Im not sure where to put them. A pix would be great.

I had a lot of screws too. I'm not sure I used the right ones, but guess its better to have too many than too few, right?

What layout will you use? I'm not sold on what I'm using right now, but the prospect of desoldering and adjusting some of the switches isn't very appealing at the moment.

I'm considering ditching the arrow keys below the right shift and moving them to the numpad and bringing back the 2u numpad plus sign and maybe going 1.25u on the mods right of the spacebar.

Offline Woovie

« Reply #228 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 17:49:32 »
Anyone tried using the YMD96 firmware for QMK yet? I'm considering trying it, but I am not sure if the grid layout is 100% compatible with that board. I have another board from YMD that currently has the b.mini2 firmware on it and it flashed fine, but obviously missing stuff.

Offline John McCormick

« Reply #229 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 06:49:13 »
I tried deleting a custom macro from my board and no it errors out connecting to it. I can't even reset it through device manager. Someone help a brother out! Also let me buy another one!! I keep emailing DJ.

Offline aplus01

« Reply #230 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 12:35:32 »
Anyone tried using the YMD96 firmware for QMK yet? I'm considering trying it, but I am not sure if the grid layout is 100% compatible with that board. I have another board from YMD that currently has the b.mini2 firmware on it and it flashed fine, but obviously missing stuff.

Please let me know if you get that figured out. I'd definitely like to get a QMK firmware going. Ps2avrgb and the bootmapper client are too flaky for me to feel comfortable making changes to my 96kee. Now that I have it working I'm super hesitant to mess with it after seeing reports of boards becoming unresponsive.

Offline Calefiction

« Reply #231 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 18:30:20 »
Hi Guys, I just did my first build.  All is working great except my "+" and "Enter Key" by the numpad.  The "+" keys registered a "+-" at the same time and so does the "Enter Key"  What can I do to fix  this?

Im having the same issue but i got some more info on it so maybe we can fix this. Note: My enter on the numpad works fine its just the "+", everything else about the keyboard is fine.

My number pad "+" isnt mapping correctly and its inputing as more then just "+-". I don't remember changing anything in the bootmapper after I loaded the correct firmware but this is what it shows up as when i hit "+" on my numpad.

Offline hehe13

« Reply #232 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 00:49:41 »
Newbie here, is my layout possible for this board? Especially the 2nd on the bottom.

Im still waiting for my switches, so I cannot test these yet.

Looking forward to your expert advice.

https://wordpad.cc/100keesample

Offline aplus01

« Reply #233 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 21:03:20 »
Newbie here, is my layout possible for this board? Especially the 2nd on the bottom.

Im still waiting for my switches, so I cannot test these yet.

Looking forward to your expert advice.

Show Image

https://wordpad.cc/100keesample

I have a very similar layout. Not sure about moving numlock around. I guess you could put it wherever you want but you'd lose the LED indicator of course if you move it.

Offline SifuSeafood

« Reply #234 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 18:25:35 »
Any updates for users with bricked PCBs?

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #235 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 01:52:50 »
Any updates for users with bricked PCBs?

If you have a bricked PCB, please please e-mail me with the steps that you took which caused it to brick. There have only been a couple who have reached out with the exact steps on how they bricked the PCB. None of them are similar in nature, and a couple resolved it by restarting their computers. Please also include the firmware version and BMC client number you are using.

If BMC is not working properly for you, you can try the following steps (particularly on W10):
  • Right-click on the BootmapperClient icon
  • Click 'Troubleshoot compatibility'
  • Click 'Try recommended settings'
  • Click 'Test the program...'
  • Hit 'Next' and see if that resolves the issues with connecting to BMC

Offline Poohammer

« Reply #236 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 19:56:03 »
Anyone else have issues with incomplete key mapping? When I first got the board plugged in there was dlnothing to “download” to bootmapper, so I had to firm up and put in the nkoc.hex or whatever it’s called (I don’t have a lot of experience in these things). So, that almost completely worked, aside from the fact I have several alpha keys that don’t work despite the fact the show up on the key map- b, u, I, o, p, backspace, along with numpad’ enter, +, 3, 6, 9... it’s so strange. My initial thought was soldering issue, but with the amount of keys that don’t work, I don’t think it is... im stumped. Does anyone have the original hex file for the 96? Im so bummed I can’t get this to work right. Please help! Thank you.

Offline aplus01

« Reply #237 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 10:10:51 »
Anyone else have issues with incomplete key mapping? When I first got the board plugged in there was dlnothing to “download” to bootmapper, so I had to firm up and put in the nkoc.hex or whatever it’s called (I don’t have a lot of experience in these things). So, that almost completely worked, aside from the fact I have several alpha keys that don’t work despite the fact the show up on the key map- b, u, I, o, p, backspace, along with numpad’ enter, +, 3, 6, 9... it’s so strange. My initial thought was soldering issue, but with the amount of keys that don’t work, I don’t think it is... im stumped. Does anyone have the original hex file for the 96? Im so bummed I can’t get this to work right. Please help! Thank you.

That sounds similar to another person who mentioned keys not working properly. I think they solved the issue by updating their firmware.

In Bootmapper client select this file: ps2avrGB_NKRO.hex which you extract from this zip file: ps2avrGB_firmware_V1.4.0_171019.zip that you can download from here: https://github.com/showjean/ps2avrU/releases.

Bootmapper client didn't recognize a lot of the keys until I upgraded my firmware.

Offline Poohammer

« Reply #238 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 12:16:40 »
Nuts, that’s what I’ve already done. Thanks though. I’m gonna check my solder joints and then update the firmware again just to rule out the obvious issues. I have no problems “toggling bootmapper”, where it gives me a series of numbers and periods for each key press- aside from those keys I mentioned. Frustrating.

Offline aplus01

« Reply #239 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 09:49:57 »
Nuts, that’s what I’ve already done. Thanks though. I’m gonna check my solder joints and then update the firmware again just to rule out the obvious issues. I have no problems “toggling bootmapper”, where it gives me a series of numbers and periods for each key press- aside from those keys I mentioned. Frustrating.

When you're testing your board, do you have  it screwed down in the case? I tried testing my PCB when I first got it to make sure that it wasn't DOA and was just holding it in my hand while shorting the pads with a paper clip to test that it worked. My hand must have bridged some of the pads or something because I was able to make it do screwy things that didn't happen when the board was sitting properly in the case.

Offline John McCormick

« Reply #240 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 19:07:50 »
I just bought a board on taobao to replace it

Offline constellation

« Reply #241 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 09:59:10 »
Hi Guys, I just did my first build.  All is working great except my "+" and "Enter Key" by the numpad.  The "+" keys registered a "+-" at the same time and so does the "Enter Key"  What can I do to fix  this?

Im having the same issue but i got some more info on it so maybe we can fix this. Note: My enter on the numpad works fine its just the "+", everything else about the keyboard is fine.

My number pad "+" isnt mapping correctly and its inputing as more then just "+-". I don't remember changing anything in the bootmapper after I loaded the correct firmware but this is what it shows up as when i hit "+" on my numpad.
Show Image

Show Image

Check the solder job on the PCB, it looks like you have one of the switch contacts soldered on to the LED contacts. They are super super close together and is one of my main complaints about this board. My PCB would have been fully hotswappable if not for the tiny through holes for the last column of the PCB.

Offline DesignWonk

« Reply #242 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 11:27:41 »
I just bought a board on taobao to replace it

Can you send me the link?

Offline Poohammer

« Reply #243 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 13:11:13 »

Show Image

Show Image

Check the solder job on the PCB, it looks like you have one of the switch contacts soldered on to the LED contacts. They are super super close together and is one of my main complaints about this board. My PCB would have been fully hotswappable if not for the tiny through holes for the last column of the PCB.

Looks like that may be it, thank you. I wound up doing some "brute force testing" (really laying into the key in question), which produced a keystroke, and then I said screw it, I'm gonna grab a paper clip and make a manual connection to see if it produces the key as well. It did. Most of my joints are pretty clean but I think this may have been it. I'm working with a thin gauge electronics solder and maybe could use a small soldering iron tip, but still...frustrating.

The bootmapper client is pretty easy to use, once the board actually manages to flash and allows you to program. I did get a lot of "Cannot recognize/find HID device", and holding left CTRL before plugging in to go in to bootloader mode seemed to be my best bet.

Thanks everyone for your help. I bought two boards so I'm hoping the second board goes much more smoothly haha.

As always, operator error rules the roost.

Offline Poohammer

« Reply #244 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 23:55:49 »
Ok, here’s an update, I hope it helps some noobs out there (this is my second only build, although the first was a Let’s Split).

I was experiencing two problems: 1) Difficult flashing and loading a key map, and 2) Several keys went registering keystrokes.

First, after downloading the appropriate ps2avrGB/bootmapper update zip file, hold left control before plugging the usb into your pcb. This will put you in bootloader mode. Now “firm up” using the nkro hex listed above threads. Next, you may need to unplug again and go to bootloader mode again before you go to the main tab, where you’ll select the key map button and find the B8000 key map hex. Upload, and your board should be good.

Second, if you’re using Zealios like me, which apparently have thicker legs than some switches, ensure the legs are both seated in the pcb pad. All 5 of my non-working switches, upon desoldering, had bent legs that didn’t make it in the pad. Rookie mistake.

Good luck!

Offline aplus01

« Reply #245 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 10:31:52 »
Ok, here’s an update, I hope it helps some noobs out there (this is my second only build, although the first was a Let’s Split).

I was experiencing two problems: 1) Difficult flashing and loading a key map, and 2) Several keys went registering keystrokes.

First, after downloading the appropriate ps2avrGB/bootmapper update zip file, hold left control before plugging the usb into your pcb. This will put you in bootloader mode. Now “firm up” using the nkro hex listed above threads. Next, you may need to unplug again and go to bootloader mode again before you go to the main tab, where you’ll select the key map button and find the B8000 key map hex. Upload, and your board should be good.

Second, if you’re using Zealios like me, which apparently have thicker legs than some switches, ensure the legs are both seated in the pcb pad. All 5 of my non-working switches, upon desoldering, had bent legs that didn’t make it in the pad. Rookie mistake.

Good luck!

Nice, so you're up and running then? Way to go!

Offline hehe13

« Reply #246 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 10:26:03 »
I don't know how to secure the plates to the PCB, the screws that I have are very short, plus my key caps are hitting the plates when pressed, I got these Gateron PCB mounted switches. . Is this normal or I shouldn't use a plate if its PCB mounted?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wWiysseH34XynQa32

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #247 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 10:37:55 »
I don't know how to secure the plates to the PCB, the screws that I have are very short, plus my key caps are hitting the plates when pressed, I got these Gateron PCB mounted switches. . Is this normal or I shouldn't use a plate if its PCB mounted?

The plate goes on under the switches first. You've done it backwards.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #248 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 11:13:28 »

ROFL Thanks for the laugh! 

Anyway if you are not trolling, you have to put your switches on the plate, not the plate on the switches.  Also since that was a pretty simple step and you failed it, i honestly suggest to look some guides around on how to build it (progress pics or video), there are many on reddit.  I mean, better be sure to not **** up later
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 December 2017, 11:18:29 by KaosJ »

Offline hehe13

« Reply #249 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 12:51:31 »
Yeah, I've got called out on Reddit about that. So why is it called PCB mount then? Whats the difference to plate mount? I was looking for youtube videos, and the only thing I found about PCB vs Plate mounted are the feet that they clipped.

So I think I should watch the 20-30 min videos then.

How did you secure the plates when you only have a teeny weeny screws? or you used other screws?

btw, I already have the 99 switches on the PCB, didn't solder them yet as I have doubts about my capabilities.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 December 2017, 12:53:22 by hehe13 »