Author Topic: Left-Handed Razer Fans May Now Rejoice  (Read 3605 times)

Offline itlnstln

Left-Handed Razer Fans May Now Rejoice
« on: Wed, 17 March 2010, 10:08:57 »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 March 2010, 11:19:36 »
I think they might be talking about guitar game controllers, but yeah, they weren't very clear on that.  Whatever, it's Engadget.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 March 2010, 16:53:06 »
Ooh, I like the braided cables.

Offline williamjoseph

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 March 2010, 18:01:44 »
tell us more about ur mouse mod and red box device please......

Quote from: ripster;164909
Most trackballs work well left handed.
Show Image

Or right.
Show Image

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 March 2010, 18:53:01 »
The irony here is that the CST is probably better built than that thing.

But I agree, I never got the excitement around Razer mice... they're kinda like Logitech keyboards to me.

Offline Mercen_505

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 April 2010, 20:21:37 »
Back OT,

I actually purchased oneof these handy-dandy mice last week, and I've been messing with it most of the afternoon. It was a tossup between this and the similarly priced Logitech MX610, but I went with the Razer because the Logitech is wireless, and many people have reported significant lag, along with an aggressive power saving 'feature' that causes the mouse to drop out if not used for a few seconds, causing even more lag when it starts moving again.

I've always put the Razer mice in the "el retardo" category, along with Monster cables and gold plated USB connectors, for people with more money than common sense. However... this is an exception... this left handed model serves a purpose that just a few years ago was largely unnecessary.

Back in ye olde days, game developers used to be diligent in checking the OS settings to see if mouse buttons had been reversed, which is a necessity under Windows as the standard DirectInput mouse interface does NOT swap your mouse buttons, regardless of what your OS settings are. Read that again, if you must. You gotta grok that before you consider the rest of my rant. As a game developer, you set up a mouse object and are then able to check the status of however many buttons are reported by the API. If you don't check the registry, you'll never know the user has swapped their mouse buttons.

As I said above, back in the old days this wasn't a problem. Now, PC is no longer the lead platform for many games, so you end up getting a shoddy Xbox port with sloppy controls, and about a quarter as many customization settings as one would normally have. In the process, this habit of checking for swapped mouse buttons got jettisoned with whatever little common sense was left in the development community at large, leaving the ~13-15% of the population who fall into the sinistral category wondering why the hell games are suddenly cropping up that don't respect their OS' settings. Worse yet, many of these same games don't allow the primary mouse button to be remapped at all.

Yes, I know, if you already have a Logitech mouse you can load their Crapware, or whatever they call their driver suite these days. That's largely effective, but becomes useless if you ever swap to a non-Logitech mouse, or hop into a different OS.

TL;DR: I got tired of having ****-ass PC games not respecting my swapped mouse buttons, and decided to rewire my mouse. I opened the mouse, grabbed the soldering iron and some wire, promptly said "**** it", and bought this instead. Mission accomplished. If you can ignore the gold plated USB connector (yeah, really. *Sigh*) it's a pretty darn good mouse, and with the buttons physically swapped you'll never have to worry about lazy game devvers dropping the ball.

Offline Mith

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 26 April 2010, 23:20:47 »
It's actually very hard to find good quality mice. Especially as a lefthanded gamer.
The designers are just so stupid :D Why couldn't they take the (normal) shape and size of Logitech Mini Optical. Or just basicly stop doing those weird looking shapes and too big mice (I know it's a matter of taste, but still...) Use the sensor of Razer DeathAdder...
And add the cord and and high quality plastic from SS Kinzu. Maybe buttons from DeathAdder too.

+

+

By the way, buttons have never been a problem for me, since I use buttons like right-handed people, but still use the mouse in my left hand..

Offline Mercen_505

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 07:16:51 »
All things considered, the DeathAdder is a solid piece of equipment, so I don't feel bad about paying a premium to relieve myself of a nagging issue. My only complaint is that out of the two buttons on the side of the mouse, only one of them is within reach of my thumb. The other is too far forward.  ^__^

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 19:46:58 »
Quote from: Mercen_505;176531
the DeathAdder is a solid piece of equipment

I'm so crushed. I thought DeathAdder was a British Science Fiction series.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Mercen_505

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 19:58:28 »
It's actually the missing, unproduced final season of Blackadder ;)