Author Topic: [IC] Split, ortholinear Topre-switch keyboard  (Read 6372 times)

Offline mewa

• Thock.co
[IC] Split, ortholinear Topre-switch keyboard
« on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 18:27:05 »
Hello everyone, this is my first post here, but I've been closely following r/mk for quite some time now :)

But to the point.

I've been pondering on the idea of a split, ortholinear keyboard with Topre switches and I'd like to check if there's demand for this kind of stuff.

The final result would look like a Let's Split with Topre switches.

I have already started an IC thread on r/mk [here](https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/8s8l3o/ic_split_ortholinear_topreswitch_keyboard/) with some more details (however they're still pretty vague, due to the nature of the stage this endeavour is currently at).

If you want to skip the reddit thread, here's a direct link to the [IC form](https://goo.gl/forms/DwMv87h5k043XT3r1).

Thanks!

Offline elDuderino

[IC] Split, ortholinear Topre-switch keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 19:36:46 »
I am very interested! It doesn’t sound like you’ve sorted out issues with actually getting topre switches sourced, though, which (afaik) is the main reason such a project doesn’t currently exist. Would love to be proven wrong though!
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 June 2018, 21:47:58 by elDuderino »

Offline neralo

Re: [IC] Split, ortholinear Topre-switch keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 02:42:57 »
 About 2 years ago on DT there was a user who was trying to figure out a split ortho topre keyboard. I'm not sure how far he go though.

https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/designing-a-custom-topre-board-t11734.html
HHKB Pro 2 55g | TGR 910 55g Vintage Blacks | Apple Standard M0116 Orange Alps | Rosewill RK9000 Cherry MX Blues | Diverge TM 2 WKLears

Offline ProtonDecay

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 07:21:13 »
Interested, but would prefer a bit more flexibility with a 5x6 or 5x7 grid.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline mewa

• Thock.co
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 18:20:13 »
Thank you for your interest everyone! The number of responses is slowly rising and I'm extremely grateful for that.

These kind of numbers are extremely handy when talking about a project. I'm currently working on it, discussing the details, and will post some updates once I receive them.

Thank you for the link - actually, I have already seen the previous attempts and they were the inspiration for this project. Though I hope this one will succeed :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 June 2018, 18:24:25 by mewa »

Offline mwahlig

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 20:39:55 »
I'm definitely interested in a topre ortho keyboard

Offline Vizir

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 21:55:11 »
showing interest now that i know it doesn't require scavenging from existing topre boards

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 01:37:40 »
Good luck on this keyboard journey. Modding/building custom boards with Topre is going to be a real challenge.

I'll be following along hope to see this project continue. Personally i'd be more interested in a 45% topre board than a split ortho.
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline Zilleon

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 20:41:26 »
I'm definitely interested and would be willing to throw a lot of money at it. I would not even care if I had to scavenge Realforces for it :)

Please keep us posted!

Offline mewa

• Thock.co
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 06:50:15 »
Hello everyone,

despite the initial traction the Topre corporation chose not to work together on this project, which means I'll have to close it (even if just due to legal reasons).

That being said, make sure to be on the lookout for some future works of mine - I'm sure something might catch your eye!

Offline mkarlsson

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 06:59:57 »
Hello everyone,

despite the initial traction the Topre corporation chose not to work together on this project, which means I'll have to close it (even if just due to legal reasons).

That being said, make sure to be on the lookout for some future works of mine - I'm sure something might catch your eye!

You can maybe talk with NiZ / Plum, seems they are more open to work with the community. Check the Haskell 87 thread for reference.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96612.0

Good luck with your future projects anyway!