Author Topic: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.  (Read 1243945 times)

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
[Interest Check] Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #600 on: Tue, 22 May 2012, 00:25:49 »
Nice one, Dox!  My eyes started to follow the traces - it wasn't long before I got lost.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline dirge

« Reply #601 on: Tue, 22 May 2012, 01:14:57 »
Can u buy me a PCB set please :) I can't wait for a final kit!
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline ic07

« Reply #602 on: Tue, 22 May 2012, 03:50:51 »
that's awesome, DOX!

Offline Netdewt

• OLKB
« Reply #603 on: Tue, 22 May 2012, 11:34:53 »
Will the PCBs be available a la carte?

Offline ped

« Reply #604 on: Tue, 22 May 2012, 16:14:49 »
Nom, I'm with dirge on this! Can I buy a PCB? :D

Offline Dox

« Reply #605 on: Tue, 22 May 2012, 17:33:26 »
Quote from: dorkvader;597347
Wow, that's a good PCB, DOX!

I especially like the profusion of mounting holes. We sholud have no trouble with flex.

Are they one-sided PCB's with a lot of jumpers, or does the red denote traces on the second layer?
Thanks, these are 2 sided. The red traces are on the top layer of the PCB.

Quote from: hoggy;597357
Nice one, Dox!  My eyes started to follow the traces - it wasn't long before I got lost.
Thanks, it's quite hard to follow from the picture, especially with the ground planes.

Quote from: dirge;597369
Can u buy me a PCB set please :) I can't wait for a final kit!
FYI, the prototype PCBs cost me ~300$ for 2 sets. Prices will be much lower with bigger quantity but I ordered the minimum qty just to test everything.

Quote from: ic07;597396
that's awesome, DOX!
Thanks! Your firmware highly facilitate the tracing. I don't know if I have followed your intended matrix as I went for the simplest way to trace it with the assigned pins. There will probably be some remapping needed in the firmware. No big deal.

Quote from: Netdewt;597612
Will the PCBs be available a la carte?
Yes, when everything will be ready and tested!

Quote from: ped;597829
Nom, I'm with dirge on this! Can I buy a PCB? :D
I don't think a lot of people would want to pay 150$ for a set of PCB that are not even tested yet.

I should receive them next monday. Can't wait!
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #606 on: Tue, 22 May 2012, 18:07:26 »
Looking good, DOX!  Good to see all the diode placement options.  I just recently soldered SMD diodes to my KMAC.  It wasn't hard at all.  Just need steady hands.

Offline Netdewt

• OLKB
« Reply #607 on: Tue, 22 May 2012, 21:15:22 »
Quote from: Dox;597866
Yes, when everything will be ready and tested!

That might interest me.

Offline Dox

« Reply #608 on: Tue, 22 May 2012, 21:32:38 »
Quote from: litster;597899
Looking good, DOX!  Good to see all the diode placement options.  I just recently soldered SMD diodes to my KMAC.  It wasn't hard at all.  Just need steady hands.
Thanks lister! I decided to put the SMD as it wasn't much more work and it's good to have options. I'll probably go for the trough hole ones on the first prototype as I have a few hundreds of them but I may try the SMD on the final or the second prototype PCB.

Offline litster

« Reply #609 on: Tue, 22 May 2012, 22:17:30 »
SMD diodes are a lot more expensive than through-hole diodes.  And Mouser is cheaper than digikey.  I ordered extra last time.  because I it was only a couple more dollars  to reach the next level of discount.

Hehe, send me a set of PCBs and I can test for SMD diodes placement.  :D  I will pay for it, if you have extra.

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #610 on: Tue, 22 May 2012, 23:37:40 »
Great stuff Dox! Keep up the amazing work!
Might even  have to bump my order up!

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline sordna

« Reply #611 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 01:38:37 »
Nice to see pcb-mount switches with pins and diodes supported! Those are the kinds of switches kinesis sells.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline litster

« Reply #612 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 02:03:16 »
Kinesis sells individual switches?

Offline ped

« Reply #613 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 04:37:53 »
Quote from: litster;598987

I think they sell the keywells and packs of 25 switches or something along those lines, but you have to email them about it as it's not listed anywhere.

Offline dirge

« Reply #614 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 07:58:18 »
Dox I'm loving this, get pics of those boards the moment they arrive!  And I'm sure the boards would have been a bit cheaper if we'd thrown money at you for prototypes ;)
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline ped

« Reply #615 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 12:13:24 »
Quote from: dirge;599071
Dox I'm loving this, get pics of those boards the moment they arrive!  And I'm sure the boards would have been a bit cheaper if we'd thrown money at you for prototypes ;)

Makes sense though, if he overlooked something and it needs manual fixing then you'd think "Damn, paid all that money for something 'broken'". With that said, I'd have paid for one at that price. But yeah, exciting! :D

Offline sordna

« Reply #616 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 22:25:58 »
Quote from: litster;598987

They sell reds in 15 packs for sure (I got 2 such packs already), for larger quantities it will probably have to be a special order, but they're accomodating.
All their switches are the style for their Kinesis Advantage (with pins for pcb mount, and with built-in diodes), so it would be MX1A-L1DW for their reds, and  MX1A-G1DW for their browns.

Boy is the Cherry Wiki handy
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Cherry+switches+and+boards
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 May 2012, 22:40:33 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline litster

« Reply #617 on: Fri, 25 May 2012, 02:31:57 »
sordna, do you know how much they charge for the switches?

Offline Dox

« Reply #618 on: Fri, 25 May 2012, 09:07:28 »
Teaser...
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 51346[/ATTACH]

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #619 on: Fri, 25 May 2012, 09:33:22 »
fascinating!! i don't think i'd be in for the casing, as I can never manage to type properly on split boards, but the boards are too intriguing to not build one up :)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #620 on: Fri, 25 May 2012, 09:40:34 »
Are those plated through-holes?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #621 on: Fri, 25 May 2012, 09:41:36 »
You have to jump through hoops to not get plated holes when you use kicad.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #622 on: Fri, 25 May 2012, 10:39:11 »
Quote from: dorkvader;599810
Are those plated through-holes?

I love it when you talk nerdy

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #623 on: Fri, 25 May 2012, 10:56:52 »
So exciting Dox! Do you plan on posting pictures of you putting it all together?

Cheers,

Offline sordna

« Reply #624 on: Fri, 25 May 2012, 14:41:10 »
Quote from: litster;599645
sordna, do you know how much they charge for the switches?

Yes, a 15-pack of reds (MX1A-L1DW) goes for $15. So it's a dollar a switch. Kinesis part number for the 15-pack is KC009REP, they mainly sell these packs to people that are converting their Advantage keyboards to the LF version (you would buy a pair of red keywells for $90 I believe, and a 15-pack to swap the thumbswitches). However I bought 2 packs (30 switches for $30) without buying any keywells. They should be able to do a better price for larger quantity of switches, we should ask them how much they would charge for maybe a 90-pack.

Offline litster

« Reply #625 on: Fri, 25 May 2012, 15:12:17 »
yeah, I want these switches for ergo DOX as well as a custom keyboard I will be building that uses PCB mount switches with built in diodes.  But $1 each is too expensive.

Offline Dox

« Reply #626 on: Fri, 25 May 2012, 19:38:49 »
Pictures!
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 51436[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 51437[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 51434[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 51435[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 51432[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 51433[/ATTACH]
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 51438[/ATTACH]

One small problem. I have installed the diodes the same way I have done for the DoxKB but the scanning in inverted in IC07 firmware so nothing registers for the moment. I tested with a jumper and everything seem to work fine otherwise. I'll try to invert the scanning in the firmware as the diodes are a PITA to desolder in the small plated

The TRRS cable works like a charm! A HDMI cable would have been way too bulky.

Offline tadbitnerdy

« Reply #627 on: Fri, 25 May 2012, 20:18:25 »
Interested!  Amazing work!

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #628 on: Fri, 25 May 2012, 22:20:19 »
Quote from: Dox;600266
Pictures!
(Attachment Link) 51436[/ATTACH] (Attachment Link) 51437[/ATTACH] (Attachment Link) 51434[/ATTACH] (Attachment Link) 51435[/ATTACH] (Attachment Link) 51432[/ATTACH] (Attachment Link) 51433[/ATTACH]
(Attachment Link) 51438[/ATTACH]

One small problem. I have installed the diodes the same way I have done for the DoxKB but the scanning in inverted in IC07 firmware so nothing registers for the moment. I tested with a jumper and everything seem to work fine otherwise. I'll try to invert the scanning in the firmware as the diodes are a PITA to desolder in the small plated

The TRRS cable works like a charm! A HDMI cable would have been way too bulky.

http://youtu.be/p6RM6YE3EMI?t=25s
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #629 on: Fri, 25 May 2012, 23:02:54 »
Does it have no soldermask?

Wow, that picture of it loaded up with switches, with the LED's on looks amazing! I want to convert it to ascii-art, type it up on the typewriter (I have no printer at the moment) and put it on the wall!

Now that you have the switches on a board, what do you think about the key placement? How does it feel?

Offline sordna

« Reply #630 on: Fri, 25 May 2012, 23:09:04 »
So cool! Oh, can you please make sure the firmware is such that cherry switches with built-in diodes work? That's what should dictate the orientation...

Offline Dox

« Reply #631 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 00:02:55 »
Quote from: dorkvader;600371
Does it have no soldermask?

Wow, that picture of it loaded up with switches, with the LED's on looks amazing! I want to convert it to ascii-art, type it up on the typewriter (I have no printer at the moment) and put it on the wall!

Now that you have the switches on a board, what do you think about the key placement? How does it feel?
No soldermask as it's a "prototype". The final version will have a soldermask.
I haven't played much with it yet but I think the key placement is pretty much spot on from my first impressions.

Quote from: sordna;600373
So cool! Oh, can you please make sure the firmware is such that cherry switches with built-in diodes work? That's what should dictate the orientation...
The way I placed the diodes on the PCB is the same orientation as the built-in diodes. So the firmware should be revised to follow this.

Edit:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 51456[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 May 2012, 00:05:44 by Dox »

Offline ic07

« Reply #632 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 00:39:27 »
Quote from: Dox;600395
The way I placed the diodes on the PCB is the same orientation as the built-in diodes. So the firmware should be revised to follow this.

Oh grr, it should.  I'll do that then.  Might not be able to get to it for a few days though.  Sorry to be busy now that things are getting so exciting, lol.  I'll make time as soon as I can!

So what we want (since the MCP23018 is open drain) is to have the columns hi-Z (off) / drive low (on), and the rows input with pull-up?

Offline dirge

« Reply #633 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 01:39:54 »
This feels so close now!

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #634 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 02:29:37 »
Dox, I don't know anything about electronics, but I noticed the right hand side has a diode per switch, but the left side hasn't...  I'm curious - could you tell me why, please?

PS - looks really sweet!
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #635 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 03:10:33 »
One minor gripe: I would've preferred the Teensy to be on the left side. That way, I could run just the left half for gaming. :evil:

But nonetheless, that is just hot s***.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 May 2012, 04:02:34 by REVENGE »
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #636 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 04:02:46 »
Quote from: ripster;600465
I quibble with your use of the word quip.
QC'd.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline ped

« Reply #637 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 05:21:35 »
Don't know if it's possible to fit the two options in the PCB, but if yes, could you allow for the 2x thumb keys be mountable POS style as an alternative?

Offline Nakkor

• Only good!? Modify it!
« Reply #638 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 08:04:40 »
Quote from: REVENGE;600456
One minor gripe: I would've preferred the Teensy to be on the left side. That way, I could run just the left half for gaming. :evil:

I agree with both statements.
Anyone want and orange?

Offline Dox

« Reply #639 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 10:56:44 »
Quote from: ic07;600409
Oh grr, it should. I'll do that then. Might not be able to get to it for a few days though. Sorry to be busy now that things are getting so exciting, lol. I'll make time as soon as I can!

So what we want (since the MCP23018 is open drain) is to have the columns hi-Z (off) / drive low (on), and the rows input with pull-up?
No problems, I'll wait for your revised firmware. Yes, we want the rows input with pull-up. Thanks again for doing this!

Quote from: hoggy;600443
Dox, I don't know anything about electronics, but I noticed the right hand side has a diode per switch, but the left side hasn't... I'm curious - could you tell me why, please?

PS - looks really sweet!
There are diodes on both side for every switches. The left side diodes are just hidden behind the switches in the picture.

Quote from: REVENGE;600456

The good thing is that you can move the halves as you wish. Just place the right hand away and place the left hand beside your mouse.

Quote from: ped;600490
Don't know if it's possible to fit the two options in the PCB, but if yes, could you allow for the 2x thumb keys be mountable POS style as an alternative?
I don't know why you would want to do this. 2 switches for 1 key = double the activation force. Not something that I would want. And the keys that fits that placement are standard keys with centered stems and standard stabilizers.

Offline ped

« Reply #640 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 11:28:36 »
Quote from: Dox;600619
I don't know why you would want to do this. 2 switches for 1 key = double the activation force. Not something that I would want. And the keys that fits that placement are standard keys with centered stems and standard stabilizers.

Because it would allow for choosing to divide the keys into two 1x keys if desired. Never mind though, just a thought.

Offline Dox

« Reply #641 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 11:42:36 »
ic07, could you add me (doxkb) as a collaborator on the project on github, I will update the layout and matrix file.

Quote from: ped;600652
Because it would allow for choosing to divide the keys into two 1x keys if desired. Never mind though, just a thought.
Yeah, It could be possible, I'll see what I can do but the case/plate will only support the 2 unit keys.

Offline ped

« Reply #642 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 11:52:59 »
Quote from: Dox;600661
Yeah, It could be possible, I'll see what I can do but the case/plate will only support the 2 unit keys.

Awesome, thanks!

Offline Dox

« Reply #643 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 23:42:57 »
This is the updated matrix.
Code: [Select]
# Documentation : Keyboard Matrix

## Matrix [row##column] assignments

* row and column numbers are in hex
* coordinates without brackets are unused
* left and right hands are mostly the same except that `row += 6` for the left

.......           rows x columns = positions;  assigned,  unassigned .......
    ....... per hand:    6 x 7       = 42;         38,        4          .......
    .......    total:   12 x 7       = 84;         76,        8          .......
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [B6][B5][B4][B3][B2][B1][B0]                [50][51][52][53][54][55][56]
    [A6][A5][A4][A3][A2][A1][A0]                [40][41][42][43][44][45][46]
    [96][95][94][93][92][91] 90                  30 [31][32][33][34][35][36]
    [86][85][84][83][82][81][80]                [20][21][22][23][24][25][26]
    [76][75][74][73][72] 71  70                  10  11 [12][13][14][15][16]
                          [64]     66      06     [04]
                          [63]    [60]    [00]    [03]
                          [65][62][61]    [01][02][05]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright &copy; 2012 Ben Blazak <benblazak.dev@gmail.com>  
Released under The MIT License (MIT) (see &quot;license.md&quot;)  
Project located at <https://github.com/benblazak/ergodox-firmware>

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #644 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 00:08:10 »
◕ ‿ ◕
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline Jim66

« Reply #645 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 18:32:26 »
Very excited about his.

Great work Dox + everyone else that's been involved so far!

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #646 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 10:26:07 »
This really does feel like it's on the cusp! However we haven't seen anything on the case yet, so I would expect at least another month before final touches are made. Excellent, excellent work Dox!

Cheers,

Offline dirge

« Reply #647 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 11:06:10 »
Cardboard case :)

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #648 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 11:39:49 »
Depending on final product I will take 1-3 of them.  Can't commit 100% until I know the final product and price.  Looks like a great keyboard.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline merijn

« Reply #649 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 12:09:27 »
If I can afford it as a student, I will buy one. It looks awesome, and I'd love to have one. Keep up the good work!