Author Topic: Filco Switch Problems  (Read 2000 times)

Offline cjd

Filco Switch Problems
« on: Thu, 14 October 2010, 22:01:46 »
Hello.

I recently purchased a Filco Majestouch keyboard off of elitekeyboards.com. The keyboard worked perfectly, no problems. I had also ordered the blue WASD accessory keys with it. However, I did not purchase the key remover. When I was (foolishly)removing the S key with a screwdriver, I accidentally took off the key with the switch still attached. When I tried to place the switch back in, it did not work well, and I (also foolishly) ended up trying to jam it in.

The switch seems to be dented, and I have broken the spring that was attached (could I just take it from another key?). Is it broken beyond repair? If not, how would I get the switch back in and such?

Apologies for being stupid. :( I know very little about keyboards and such.

Here is a picture of the keyboard and switch.
http://imgur.com/mDaph.png

Thanks in advance.

Offline maxlugar

Filco Switch Problems
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 October 2010, 22:17:51 »
That switch looks to be broken beyond repair.

I would e-mail Majestouch (EliteKeyboards.com) to see if you can send it back for repair.  Don't count on the repair being covered under warranty  :) , and spend 4 bucks to get a Cherry key cap remover.
Emperor of the IBM 84-key AT Model F Darkside

Offline Infinite north

Filco Switch Problems
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 October 2010, 22:26:41 »
If you decided to fix that yourself you would need soldering skills and a replacement switch.  if you are lacking those things best bet would be what max said.

Offline cjd

Filco Switch Problems
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 October 2010, 22:43:52 »
Thank you both for your replies. I will try what you suggested, Max.

Thanks!

Offline sam113101

Filco Switch Problems
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 October 2010, 22:53:37 »
my watch's light had problems, I thought it was the battery, so I decided to change it
I scratched the back cover, changing the battery didn't fix the problem, and also I can't put the back cover back on the watch

it was new… I feel stupid too
I'm sending it back to timex, I hope they will just replace it instead of fixing it, giving me a new, unscratched back cover <3

edit; it isn't related to keyboards, but I just wanted to make you feel less lonely
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 October 2010, 22:58:15 by sam113101 »
Hoping to hear from you again, your dearest friend, sam113101.

Offline mootseller

Filco Switch Problems
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 July 2011, 03:19:57 »
I came across this thread via google. I'm in the exact same situation. The only difference is that I haven't jammed it back in. Is there a way I can put the switch back in without breaking it?

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
Filco Switch Problems
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 15 July 2011, 03:40:20 »
Having pulled a blue stem out like that it almost for sure is broken. There are probably two very tiny blue plastic nibs rattling around somewhere. The blue stems are a lot weaker than the others by construction.

Offline mootseller

Filco Switch Problems
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 15 July 2011, 03:54:06 »
Forgot to mention, the only difference is that my switches are brown. The stem is a bit smaller than pictured.
I pulled it out on accident when I was trying to clean it. My question is just because its pulled out does that mean it's broken? Is there no way to put the switch back in? Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 July 2011, 07:12:40 by mootseller »