Author Topic: First Mechanical Keyboard on the way  (Read 3909 times)

Offline FrozenPanda

First Mechanical Keyboard on the way
« on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 11:47:42 »
Hey, this is my first post here, I have browsed around for the past month and i am really considering buying a mechanical keyboard. Reason being is that I will soon be enrolling into college and know that there will be a lot of computer work to be done so I thought it would be nice to have a new keyboard. I would like some feed back from those of you that are either a student or have been a student and used a mechanical keyboard during that time.

Things I would like:
  • Blank Keys- I cannot believe that it is $50 for just a keyset of blank keys so if possible, I would like the keyboard to come with blank keys.
  • Media Keys- I have read about AutoHotKey but I tried it and have no idea how it works... i currently use the Logitech Wave Desktop Set and I find the programmable keys and the media keys really helpful.
  • Cherry MX Blue Switches- I want the full effect of a tactile feeling to really experience the difference between mechanical and rubber dome.
  • Full Keyboard- I only say full keyboard because I have never used laptops therefore am totally unexperienced with keyboard without the keypad, I feel that I would rather have it and not need than need it than not have it. (This could be arguable)
  • Price- I would like it to be lower than approx. $150 because I do not really have a fortune to spend on a keyboard.

Keyboards I have looked at:
  • Das Keyboard- Has full blank lay out but does not have media keys.
  • Filco boards- Come both Tenkeyless and full layout but it is extremely hard to get in the US at the moment.
  • Leopold FC200R- Lots of hype about this board but Leopold only has Tenkeyless versions on their website. I am confused about the Phaethon because it appears to be the same board however has the full 104 key layout. I am not sure whether these will have a blank keyset
  • Ducky 9008 - These were being sold with Blue Swtiches and Blank Layout but have been taken off Ducky's ebay site. The only problem with this keyboard is that its in the upper limits of my budget. I feel that it has everything I need but am unsure about the cost.

I would like some input on these boards preferably from people that have either owned or tried them. I personally do not have the money to buy another board after this although it is apparent many people usually buy more mechanical keyboards after their first one. If there any other boards that seem to fit my description please recommend them.

So after getting a summer job I have ordered my very own first keyboard. I ordered a Daskeybaord Ultimate Model S. Blue Switches with blank keys. I am very excited for it to come and I'd like to thank everyone who helped. I ordered it through the education discount and it is a total of $103.20.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 July 2011, 11:09:23 by FrozenPanda »

Offline bugfix

Need Input for First Mechanical Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 11:52:13 »
Quote from: FrozenPanda;279902
Reason being is that I will soon be enrolling into college and know that there will be a lot of computer work to be done so I thought it would be nice to have a new keyboard.

Good idea! I started studying law back in October and typing on a mechanical keyboard (it's fun) makes writing reports and term papers much more endurable.

The Das is a great keyboard (was my first one, also blank also with Blues) and I can certainly recommend it. I used a Wave keyboard before and while the media keys are quite nice, I don't really miss them - Autohotkey is a good substitue (There should be a tutorial somewhere)
*~Unicomp and Topre fan~*
I have:
Unicomp Customizer 105 German
Realforce 105GR
Unicomp Spacesaver German/Ansi hybrid(Current favorite)
I want:
Realforce 88GER
I used to have:
DAS Model S Ultimate EU (Sold)

Offline Nadger

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 12:14:29 »
Based on what you said i would go with a blank das keyboard as well.  If you wait until you are a student you can get a student dicount on a das keyboard as well, which puts it around $90-100 i believe.

You will need to use AHK to get media keys working but...here let me paste something i sent in a PM to someone else asking about AHK:

--------------------
This is where i started that helped me learn a lot:

http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Tutorial.htm

http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/misc/Remap.htm

http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/KeyList.htm

Specifically the keynames for what you are looking to do are as follows:

Volume_Mute
Volume_Down
Volume_Up
Media_Next
Media_Prev
Media_Stop
Media_Play_Pause

I dont have it installed on my laptop that im on right now but it should be something like this:

+F1::Media_Play_Pause

That would be shift +f1 sends the play/pause command.

Alternatively you may be able to use the FN key, but im not sure if it will work, depends if the fn key sends a scancode.

This link discusses utilizing the fn key and how to do it: http://www.autohotkey.net/~daonlyfreez/tutorials/3p/Veil/fnkey.htm

The only downside to autohotkey is it needs to be installed on your computer to get it all to work, where if its built into the board, you dont need to worry about it.

Good luck and have fun, there are some really cool/interesting/complex scripts you can make.
● Logitech ♦ G600
● Noppoo ♦ Choc Mini 茶轴
● Plum ♦ 96 White / Red Switch
● Microsoft ♦ Xbox 360 Windows Controller

Offline kidchunks

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 13:36:24 »
Snip snap! A Panda migration!

But yea if you go with a DAS, be sure to have a cloth handy. Wipe them finger prints when you spottem!

Enjoy your purchase!
Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com

Offline FrozenPanda

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 15:53:20 »
Thank you so much for the support. I agree that the Das Keyboard would be best for the money, but I have noticed looking at what keyboards others own that not many people own the Das Keyboard. Most own a Filco board, what is the reason for this? I have looked at the comparison reviews and I do not see a major difference other than the fact that the Filco board is a lot harder to attain now.

Offline Eric5676

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 16:05:22 »
Quote from: FrozenPanda;280020
Thank you so much for the support. I agree that the Das Keyboard would be best for the money, but I have noticed looking at what keyboards others own that not many people own the Das Keyboard. Most own a Filco board, what is the reason for this? I have looked at the comparison reviews and I do not see a major difference other than the fact that the Filco board is a lot harder to attain now.

In my information overload recon runs I've noticed the same thing.

No love for Das?  

I also haven't seen a lot of Deck Keyboards, either.

Offline Nadger

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 21:04:47 »
Mainly because das does not offer a tenkeyless model which many around here prefer.  Secondly, because das has the shiny look which some dont like.

Not many go with decks because they are expensive, often out of stock, dont come in cherry brown or blue, lack of a tenkeyless model, some dont like backlighting, some dont like its flat key profile, and some dont like its font.

So basically both can be boiled down to not enough options.
● Logitech ♦ G600
● Noppoo ♦ Choc Mini 茶轴

Offline Eric5676

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 21:21:17 »
Quote from: Nadger;280148
Mainly because das does not offer a tenkeyless model which many around here prefer.  Secondly, because das has the shiny look which some dont like.

Not many go with decks because they are expensive, often out of stock, dont come in cherry brown or blue, lack of a tenkeyless model, some dont like backlighting, some dont like its flat key profile, and some dont like its font.

So basically both can be boiled down to not enough options.

Ah. Makes sense put like that.

Offline FrozenPanda

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 22:12:22 »
Okay so that makes me ponder about the difference between a full board and tenkeyless. I have never used a tenkeyless before. Why do most prefer it over a full board? Simply because its cheaper and takes up less room? Are they for mainly people that do not do a lot of number pounding on their keyboard? When using excel or typing numbers into websites, i use the numpad. Or perhaps do those people use the regular 1~0 row to type their numbers?

Offline Philth

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 22:13:56 »
Heres a Ducky 9008 with blue switches being sold on the forums. $140 shipped in CONUS. Still fits under your budget:

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=14176

EDIT: And here's another Ducky but with MX Browns for quite a bit cheaper if you're willing to compromise: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=14400
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 January 2011, 22:19:39 by Philth »

Offline msiegel

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 22:15:37 »
tenkeyless are generally more expensive than regular size, because fewer of them are made.

i use tenkeyless so i don't have to reach as far for the mouse. this really helped my right forearm, which used to get sore from too much mouse-reaching :)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline FrozenPanda

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 22:28:26 »
Thank you Philth.

So does using a tenkeyless hinder one's number pounding? I am probably going into engineering which will probably have a lot of math. Of course most of my number pounding will be on a calculator but i find it a lot easier to use the numpad to type numbers quickly and effortlessly. Is it very easy to convert to tenkeyless and type numbers just as fast using the 1-0 row?

Edit: It just also occurred to me that most laptops that do not have a numpad use the Fn + a block on the alpha numerical block to replace a numpad. Is this a way of number pounding on tenkeyless boards?
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 January 2011, 22:40:42 by FrozenPanda »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 22:35:19 »
I think that before you spend money on an expensive keyboard, you should find out if the Cherry MX Blue switches are for you. Not everyone likes them. Most people seem to prefer low-profile "scissor switch" keyboards, as found in laptops .. but then, most people have not even tried mechanical keyboards.
If you find a store that has the Razer BlackWidow and you can get to the box, there is a window on the front of the box where you can press a few keys to try them out.

Quote from: msiegel;280173
i use tenkeyless so i don't have to reach as far for the mouse. this really helped my right forearm, which used to get sore from too much mouse-reaching :)
When you get into your thirties, after having used computers half your life, ergonomics start to matter. Begin able to reach the mouse in a more natural angle is just one simple thing that can matter a whole lot.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 January 2011, 22:38:34 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline Philth

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 22:39:42 »
Quote from: FrozenPanda;280177
Thank you Philth.

So does using a tenkeyless hinder one's number pounding? I am probably going into engineering which will probably have a lot of math. Of course most of my number pounding will be on a calculator but i find it a lot easier to use the numpad to type numbers quickly and effortlessly. Is it very easy to convert to tenkeyless and type numbers just as fast using the 1-0 row?

I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of the numpad if you've grown used to it, you use it, and you find it helps with your number punching (This is completely IMHO).

I don't know what you're going into for school, but I'm an english major myself and I don't think I've ever even touched my numpad. I would prefer a tenkeyless, but that's because I'm rarely punching in numbers. If you're going into a program that requires a lot of number mashing, then stick with the full layout.

Offline NimbleRabit

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 22:46:12 »
Personlly, I can type numbers in extremely quickly using the number keys on a tenkeyless board, so even though I actually use my keyboard in a job involving a lot of numbers, I prefer tenkeyless.  It's all preference though, and you should get what you like and are comfortable with.

Offline FrozenPanda

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 22:57:21 »
I think i will stay with a full board for now seeing as I will get a laptop soon for college anyways. If I learn to not depend on the numpad it will be an investment for later i guess.

About ergonomics, on all the Filco boards and the Ducky it mentions an ergonomic curve to the keys. Does that exist on the das? I google'd images and I can see a slight curve in one picture but it looks kind of flat. Does this significantly help typing and/or fatigue?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 23:03:01 »
From the All about Keys Wiki:

The bottom row is Filco/Rosewill/Das. The curve is nothing special, just not completely flat.
🍉

Offline stuiees

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 23:16:29 »
I do a fair amount of number punching at work and find the full size layout much more beneficial.  However at home, I rarely punch numbers and much prefer a tenkeyless.

Moral of the story: If your going to punch a lot of numbers and are used to the numpad; get a full size.  If you don't use the numpad, and think it is more ergonomic for you; get a tenkeyless.
I like Topre!

Offline FrozenPanda

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 00:48:15 »
Alright, I will keep the full lay out. Would the das keyboard be the best bet for the full lay out considering price and everything? Is the Filco Majestouch worth the trouble? Is the Ducky worth the extra 40 bucks? Are there any other keyboards to be considered?

Offline Nadger

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 18:37:04 »
Quote from: FrozenPanda;280222
Alright, I will keep the full lay out. Would the das keyboard be the best bet for the full lay out considering price and everything? Is the Filco Majestouch worth the trouble? Is the Ducky worth the extra 40 bucks? Are there any other keyboards to be considered?

Theres also the option of getting a separate numpad that you pull out when you have  alot of number punching to do, and when you dont need it, you can keep it above your tenkeyless or on the left side of the board.  But then it can become a PITA, so i would only suggest going that route if you rarely need numpad, and when you do need it, you use it a lot.  Cause you dont want to be moving it back and forth if you use it often.

And no, imo the filco isnt worth the trouble, especially if you are going for a full size board.  Das is as high as quality as filco, if not moreso.  As ripster always puts it, this is thier 3rd generation board, so they've had time to perfect it and get it right.

Ducky isnt worth an extra 40 bucks, its arguably lower quality than the das, but it does have media keys built into it and some gamer friendy functions.  But you can always program the das to do the same.

If you didnt get that student discount, and were more of a gamer there may be a bit more of a debate over which you should go for, but the das with the discount is a really good deal.

Or you could wait another month and see what Elitekeyboards gets in stock.  More options is always a good thing.  Do you think you may end up needing a detachable usb cable?
● Logitech ♦ G600
● Noppoo ♦ Choc Mini 茶轴

Offline FrozenPanda

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 19:22:12 »
So I continued my research on the Leopold and came up with this link: http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/538389-mechanical-keyboard-club-116.html

where it says:

"Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp  (A Forum Moderator)
I did some digging at their own site (which happens to sell Filcos, Topres, and the Fujitsu Libertouch) and found that they have 5 models:

ACK-231UGa = full-size membrane/rubber dome
FC200R = full-size w/Cherrys (blue, black, or brown)
FC200R Lite = full-size w/simplified White Alps copies (I think)
FC200RT = Tenkeyless w/Cherrys (again, the 3 Bs)
FC200RT Lite = Tenkeyless w/same Alps as full size

There's also a Red Edition FC200R, but since the description is in an image, I can't use a translator for it, and the one person I know that knows any Korean hasn't been on MSN in over a year. From the photos it looks like the PCB is red, but other than that I can't tell the difference; unlike the implication the name gives, it doesn't offer MX Red switches. IMO, any "red edition" mechanical keyboard should have MX Reds...  EDIT; this product has now been de-listed from the site. Attempting to access the product page returns a pop-up error that translates to "No data.". Balls.

They tend to use FC200R to image-label the tenkeyless boards, though, even though the hotlinks say FC200RT (which is correct); however we shouldn't have to worry about that with EK. Anyway, they're priced competitively and use mini-USB like Duckys, but I don't know what keycaps they use."

This further confuses me about whether or not there are actually legitimate leopold versions of the FC200R where it is a full board.

Edit: I actually already attained my education discount, so that much is known.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 January 2011, 20:01:57 by FrozenPanda »

Offline FrozenPanda

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 20:04:22 »
Quote from: ripster;280740
What's a Chucky Chimp?

Forum Moderator of OverClock.net. It was a post by him on overclock.net. It just makes me wonder why i have never seen those different boards on Leopold.

Offline FrozenPanda

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 20:11:20 »
What exactly IS "FC200R"? From what I have seen the boards all look the same but they are called different things. Are they simply clones of the same model sold by different companies?

Offline seung

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 20:12:24 »
If you get a clicky keyboard, your roomate will kill you.

Offline FrozenPanda

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 20:22:49 »
Quote from: ripster;280765
This looks a tad different.  Strongman made some of the older ones.  Usually each keyboard is tweaked - the Newegg RK-9000 has a different shell, PCB, cord, and controller but is still stamped Filco for example and is Costar made.  In other words it's more complicated than most Geekhackers and OCN'rs claim.

are you saying the Rosewill is a FC200R as well?

Offline Eric5676

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 21:00:15 »
Quote from: ripster;280778
No.   Like I said it gets complicated.

How does someone new to this realm such as myself begin to make heads or tails of it all?

Offline FrozenPanda

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 19 January 2011, 16:15:17 »
Quote from: ripster;280790
Well, most of the time you shouldn't care what OEM built the product.  It's like worrying about which motherboards Foxconn makes or which Chinese factory made your iPad.

Like I think I said, it's easiest to wait until Elitekeyboards ships and people get a chance to test the keyboards.

True, but I do care about the quality. Sometimes in other products like Rubiks cubes, there are "rip off" cubes but they turn out to be better than the original so i am well aware that the original is not always the best. Needless to say, I hope that EKB will stock the best quality Leopold boards.

Offline FrozenPanda

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 21:22:52 »
After a long time and finally getting a job, I have ordered my first mech keyboard: http://store.daskeyboard.com/Das-Keyboard-Professional-Model-S/dp/B003M567V6 I hope it comes soon :D