Author Topic: Help me identify one of my Model M  (Read 2874 times)

Offline TacticalCoder

Help me identify one of my Model M
« on: Sat, 07 May 2011, 07:08:20 »
Hey all,

one of my Model M is missing its label underneath and I'd like which part number and year range it could be.

It has the "ISO" enter key, double-parts keycaps, a grounded spacebar, a gray-rounded-slanted (?) IBM logo, a detachable cable and it is a QWERTZ swiss layout (not german but swiss), it's nearly identical to the layout here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KB_Swiss.svg

It's too old to have windows keys (thankfully!) and the euro sign but besides that it looks identical to the swiss layout: for example it has the pipe symbol | on the front of the '7' key, the weird "a a a a" / "e u u e" / "e o o e" keys (with diacritical marks on the letters) that you can see in the closer shot.

It's pretty similar to my 1391403's (I've got three of these).

If you had an idea about the year "range" in which it could have been produced it would be great too :)
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 May 2011, 07:57:19 »
According to Wikipedia, the part number for the Swiss layout M was 1391412. Your keyboard would have been made sometime between 1987 and 1992 in IBM UK's manufacturing plant in Greenock, Scotland, judging by the logo colour and the presence of a spacebar grounder.

You can try opening up the case and looking for additional date markings. I think the backplate on Greenock made ones may have a date on it, although these are usually a bit earlier than the assembly date (what appears on the label). The inside of the case may have markings indicating when it was made.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 May 2011, 09:34:17 »
Quote from: ch_123;342943
You can try opening up the case and looking for additional date markings. I think the backplate on Greenock made ones may have a date on it, although these are usually a bit earlier than the assembly date (what appears on the label). The inside of the case may have markings indicating when it was made.

Ah cool, thanks for the info and for the suggestion! I'll try to find back my narrow tool allowing to open the Model M but I think I lost it so I may have to order a new one :)
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline Arkos

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 June 2011, 16:50:41 »
Hi, i have a 1391412, but with broken Space Key... One the left side, it don't stay where it should. (Befestigung links ist kaputt.)

I search also a Modell M keyboard

Is there a faulte with yours, or do you search only a Swiss Layout, bec. of wrong signed Keys?

Hmm... when i think about, that my brother throwed away some of these IBM 1391412... he forgot, that i' asked once for them. Arghhh...

Now i'm searching also for a "new" one. But for me, if they work normal, it makes nothing, when the Keys are wrong signed. I could use the caps from my old 1391412.

Damn... Or is there a possibility, to get a Space-Key... On one side, it broke, and now the SpaceKey don't stay right in that place. I can't use it anymore.

Sorry.. difficult to write in english. Normaly i speak SwissGerman.

PS. I hate all new Tastaturs. When i see Logitech, selling this S... for 150.- Sfr. as.Example some MX3200 Keyboards, where some components brakes after some days. And i hate really, when the 6-block is verticaly, then horizontaly, (the "DeleteKey" is on a other place, i allways press wrong key, also bec. i'm using manytimes PgDn +PgUp). But the worst thing is, that the Logitechs don't have anymore a ScrollLock Key. It's urgent for my "4 PC DualViewKVM Switch" (PS2 USB), ... i hate it to work with FN Key etc. from New Logitechs. Otherwise, i must have the Scroll-Lock for using Teamviewer. Also, i never understood, why they made this Windows-Keys. I hate it, to get back to Desktop, when i'm playing a Game. What is so difficult, to press Ctrl-Esc?

So, enough ... (crying)...... Did you find one IBM-M here in Switzerland? I'm Searching too... I only have my old own, with defect SpaceKey... and just destroyed today a old PS2 Dell Tastatur, witch was'nt so bad, but it was in my range, as i was too angry... bec. of something. Sometimes, i'm too stupid.

So, if someone has an idea, from where i can get another IBM-M in Switzerland, it would be great.

Thx

PS. I forgot. The most important thing is, that i don't feel good, writing on a other Keyboard, then on a IBM.Clicky... I' write allways wrong keys with other Keyboards. This is'nt funny at all. If you have wroted for 15 years with a IBM-M, it's dificult to find something equal. The problem is also, if you go for a new keyboard, you don't have the possibility to test it. On most Keyboards, the keys are to close together. What i loved also were the bit higher F-Keys. ETC. If you had once a IBM-M, you know, what i'm talking about.

What a picture... http://www.clickeykeyboards.com/index.html  (Scroll down to the end).
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 June 2011, 17:01:12 by Arkos »

Offline xwhatsit

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 June 2011, 17:27:06 »
Quote from: Arkos;354822
.Damn... Or is there a possibility, to get a Space-Key... On one side, it broke, and now the SpaceKey don't stay right in that place. I can't use it anymore.

You can buy new keys from Unicomp.
Beam spring IBM 5251 (7361073/7362149) & IBM 3727 (5641316) | Model F IBM 122-key terminal & IBM PC-AT 84-key | Model M Unicomp 122-key terminal | Cherry MX Blue Leopold Tenkeyless

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 June 2011, 18:01:52 »
Besides the space-bar, does your keyboard work fine?

I see three options:

1. buy another "ISO" Model M (with 'vertical' Enter key, like the one you have now) and put the keycaps from your Swiss-German Model M on it

2. buy a space bar

3. use a smaller space bar : put a key stem + a key a little wider like a CTRL or an ALT that you then use as a space bar.  It works if you only use your left thumb as a space saver (and I know I'm not the only one to do it that way and that I'm not the only one to use a tiny space bar on my Model Ms).

I'll show you pictures tomorrow.

1 and 3 I can help, I've got several Model Ms and some spare parts.  2 I'm not sure but I think you can buy spacebars online.

Talk to you soon,

Offline Arkos

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 June 2011, 18:26:22 »
The Space function would work fine. The problem is the left side of the SpaceKey (underside), where the metalholder goes inside the bail. It's broken, instead the bail, looks like an "O", i have a "U". And bec,. of that, the Metalholder goes out.

I tried to fix it, with some hairline, but it was not strong enough. It must keep moveable. This is the problem.

I saw now somewhere, that there is a Cherry G80 Clicky Keyboard. http://mediaserver.digitec.ch/dokumente/184156.pdf  The question is, if this is the same. (Down, down you find the clicky... but only german and english design. Switzerland is too small...).

But, you know, how it is. Once a "M", allways a "M".

Arghh. . i saw now, your picture... The same thing i have. Arghh... How you get a new one? From where. The Problem is, i'm here in switzerland. Means, the Costs for shipping would be more, then the Supply itself.

But... interesting anyway.. from where? And how much it cost?

By the way... here the cherry G80-3000 clicky... http://www.cherry.de/english/products/keyboards_G80-3000.htm  

But there are some different types. The right one for US-english is G80-3000LSCGB-0 and for UK is the "G80-3000LSCEU-0". Buit, me, i only read in the net abbout, never had one under my fingers.

Hmm... i just saw, that there is a company, witch sell old IBM Keyboards. They have IBM-M 1994, builded by Lexmark for 80$. Hmm...

« Last Edit: Thu, 02 June 2011, 19:15:35 by Arkos »

Offline Arkos

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 June 2011, 19:47:40 »
I saw replacement keys here... http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/categories.main/parentcat/10191  ... But Spacebar is sold. on Unicomp i did'nt saw any replacements. But i expect the to high shipping costs for these replacements. For the entire keyboard, they take 57.-$ Is much.

PS. i remember, that with my "Enter-Key" is also something not 100% There is one conduct, (is this the right word) defect.

Hmm... if my brother would keeped in mind, that i told him once, "never give these IBM-M Keyboards away", then i would have now 5 or 6. which were in reserve for ca. 10 years. I think, they came from a banc in the school, and all, which they did'nt use straight, landed in the cellar, and stayed there, until the day, he give them in the recycling. Unbelievable, but true.

And to get some replacement keys for the ibm's, you see now the handycap to live in switzerland, when you must have things, like this. You can't buy it in this country, and shipping costs are much more, then the piece, what you need.

Crap...

Offline DaemonRaccoon

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 02 June 2011, 19:52:28 »
You have to email (or call) Unicomp, it's a special order.
122-Key Model F 6110345 1985-03-01 | Model M SSK 1391472 1991-01-22 | Rosewill RK-9000 v1 | KBC Poker X | Filco FKBN87M/PWE2

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 03 June 2011, 08:56:52 »
Quote from: Arkos;354925
But Spacebar is sold. on Unicomp i did'nt saw any replacements. But i expect the to high shipping costs for these replacements. For the entire keyboard, they take 57.-$ Is much.

OK, you seem to love your Model M so much that it makes me want to help you : )

I'm in Belgium and I've got a spare space bar from a broken compatible terminal IBM board that I'm using as a donor.  The bar is a bit yellowish in color and it's not one with both 'o' but both 'u'-style attachs but it's fully functional.

I can send it to you.

PM me ("PM me" means "send me a private message on this forum" ; ) your email address and I'll ship it to you.  You have PayPal or MoneyBookers to send me the money needed for the shipping?

Shipping from Belgium to Switzerland shouldn't be too expensive.

Offline Arkos

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 03 June 2011, 10:12:21 »
Hmm... what can i say... ... ähm... Thanks, really... But, not, that yours will be defect in a couple of time, otherwise this would'nt be a very good idea...