Author Topic: Looking For A Mechanical Keyboard With Back Lit Keys?  (Read 14990 times)

Offline jumpfroggy

Looking For A Mechanical Keyboard With Back Lit Keys?
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 11 June 2011, 21:55:47 »
Quote from: Larry Dallas;359161
If you really want a backlit board, you could always put the lights in yourself, like they do over at KBC. http://kbc.5d6d.com/thread-5850-1-1.html
Interesting!  I'm assuming this is normal colored keyboard with DIY lights?  I'd definitely consider lighting just the home row - that'd be really useful.  Any build pics / howtos?  Anyone ever try this w/ black keys?  Or could I get just the home-row of white filco home keys?  Hmm.

It's funny, when I got my filco, there wasn't any legit way to get them in the US.  Now there are tons of alternatives available, including these mx blue backlit boards.  It's nice that mechanical keyboards are getting more popular.
Filco FKB104/EB - Das Keyboard Ultimate S - Realforce 103UB variable - Filco Linear-R (soon)

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 12 June 2011, 04:31:13 »
Quote from: Larry Dallas;359161
If you really want a backlit board, you could always put the lights in yourself, like they do over at KBC. http://kbc.5d6d.com/thread-5850-1-1.html

As you can see the genius from KBC managed to predrill the leds soldering hole but forgot to rotate the switches in the right direction.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 12 June 2011, 04:38:17 »
Quote from: cromartie;359234
How do the stickers feel compared to the original keycaps? I've tried stickers on keycaps for the purpose of typing in a different language, but it definitely did not feel as nice as the original texture of the keys.

I used the stickers from 4keyboarss both the language ones and the fluorescent on my thinkpads. The former were really perfect for the task, almost unnoticeable, durable and matte. Thy are less croase than the average key finish on mech boards but still very good. On the other hand, the latter are shiny and thick like a normal sticker.

I never tried the phosphorescent stickers from latkey.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Backward_Pawn

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 12 June 2011, 22:55:55 »
I don't want to step on any toes here, as a new member, but I personally don't understand backlit keyboards.  If I'm in a dark room, my F and J keys have bumps on them, I can find the rest of the keys from there.  The last thing I want is a keyboard calling attention to itself in a dark room.  If I see the backlight in my periphery, my eyes will constantly want to look down and it'll be a distraction.  The only reason I can think to have one is if someone cannot touch type.  My suggestion to them would be NOT to invest in a backlit keyboard, but in an invaluable skill that will make that backlighting unnecessary.

Offline Tallon

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 00:09:14 »
Quote from: Backward_Pawn;359735
I don't want to step on any toes here, as a new member, but I personally don't understand backlit keyboards.  If I'm in a dark room, my F and J keys have bumps on them, I can find the rest of the keys from there.  The last thing I want is a keyboard calling attention to itself in a dark room.  If I see the backlight in my periphery, my eyes will constantly want to look down and it'll be a distraction.  The only reason I can think to have one is if someone cannot touch type.  My suggestion to them would be NOT to invest in a backlit keyboard, but in an invaluable skill that will make that backlighting unnecessary.

Well - have you ever tried to type specific key commands while holding a baby in one arm and watching a movie on the computer (thus lights are off or very low)? Trying to find "homerow" (with the bump on the F and J) can be a pain, whereas a back lit keyboard would solve the problem. I'm sure there's many other situations where backlighting can come in handy, that's just one situation I recently ran into on my non-backlit keyboard that I did not have on my old backlit one.

I do agree, however, that touch typing is extremely useful. It's not that hard to learn, anyway.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 00:12:13 »

you're so cool man, i bet you type like stevie wonder.

I love stevie wonder
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 00:56:00 »
I don't want to step on any toes here, as a new member, but I personally don't understand backlit keyboards.  If I'm in a dark room, my F and J keys have bumps on them, I can find the rest of the keys from there.

I'm really impressed :happy:

The last thing I want is a keyboard calling attention to itself in a dark room.

You should also turn off that stupid lcd panel, very distracting also, especially when showing some women in miniskirt...

The only reason I can think to have one is if someone cannot touch type.

I think there are at least 6billions of such "someone" on this planet.

My suggestion to them would be NOT to invest in a backlit keyboard, but in an invaluable skill that will make that backlighting unnecessary.

My suggestion is to use that marvel machine which is the human brain to accomplish high level tasks, and not waste precious neurons to learn something that a basic technology has already made obsolete.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 01:29:28 »
Quote from: The Solutor;359772
My suggestion is to use that marvel machine which is the human brain to accomplish high level tasks, and not waste precious neurons to learn something that a basic technology has already made obsolete.

Whoah, whoah, whoah... normally, I consider what you post (ripster bantering aside) to be well thought out and generally rational. But did I just read you right? Are you actually suggesting that touch typing is an "obsolete" skill? On a forum dedicated to keyboards?

The only thing I'll say is this. I learned to type correctly so I could do exactly what you say: use my brain to accomplish high level tasks, not waste precious neurons on interrupting my thought process to go and find where some key is on a keyboard.

I learned to type so that the act of typing wouldn't get in my way of doing what I wanted to do. Since I make my living on the computer, I'd say that learning to type correctly and effortlessly was the single most important skill I've learned.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 01:32:48 »
he made some rational statements under his xarmor account.
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 01:37:47 »
Quote from: daerid;359794
Are you actually suggesting that touch typing is an "obsolete" skill?

Not an obsolete skill, an unneeded skill.

Are you good in touchtyping ? Good for you, no one is blaming you for this, but at the same time don't blame that 6 billions of people who never mind to learn it.

On a forum dedicated to keyboards?

Aren't backlit keyboards included ?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 09:04:00 »
Quote from: ripster;359798
The Solutor has made generally rational statements?

Citation please?

I ain't gettin in the middle of nothin, but I'll just say that I believe that he makes good arguments from his point of view, as long as you two aren't going at each other's throats.

Quote from: The Solutor;359801
Not an obsolete skill, an unneeded skill.

That's a very fine distinction. Your original wording was "obsolete", though. Either way, I must respectfully disagree.

Are you good in touchtyping ? Good for you, no one is blaming you for this, but at the same time don't blame that 6 billions of people who never mind to learn it.
No blame here. The same way I don't blame the billions of people who can't wire up a basic electrical circuit, or cook a decent meal, or play basketball, or perform any other skill that requires a decent investment in learning and practice.
All of those skills can be considered unneeded or obsolete from a certain point of view. But to those who enjoy and excel in those skills, I don't think that you'd find one of them that would consider them so.

Aren't backlit keyboards included ?
Absolutely. I'm not arguing against the technology, I'm arguing that the tech doesn't make touch-typing obsolete. Besides, with the proliferation of computer tech and the adoption of it by our children at a younger and younger age, I'd say that we'll be seeing more people who are able to type without looking at the keyboard, rather than less.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 June 2011, 09:14:11 by daerid »

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 09:10:37 »
Quote from: ripster;359887
Just curious.  In other news I just added Source11 to my Number One Keyboard Expert On The Planet. link.

Which planet ?

Mongo ? Chronos ? Abydos ?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 09:25:57 »
Quote from: ripster;359887
Just curious.  In other news I just added Source11 to my Number One Keyboard Expert On The Planet link.

lol. glad to be of service

Offline Stevie Wonder

• http://www.steviewonder.net/
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 14:56:20 »
Quote from: noodles256;359763
you're so cool man, i bet you type like stevie wonder.

I love stevie wonder

Thanks man.  Buy my next album.

Offline jumpfroggy

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 15:08:28 »
Quote from: Tallon;359762
Well - have you ever tried to type specific key commands while holding a baby in one arm and watching a movie on the computer (thus lights are off or very low)?
Wait, I'm confused... I *swear* I wrote the above sentence, but it's clearly not my account.  What's going on?  Am I losing my mind?  Or is Tallon my evil twin?

Tallon - do you own a 95 Talon TSI AWD in black?  Cause if you do, I'm going to come kill you.  THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (me).
Filco FKB104/EB - Das Keyboard Ultimate S - Realforce 103UB variable - Filco Linear-R (soon)

Offline Tallon

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 23:13:30 »
Quote from: jumpfroggy;370180
Wait, I'm confused... I *swear* I wrote the above sentence, but it's clearly not my account.  What's going on?  Am I losing my mind?  Or is Tallon my evil twin?

Tallon - do you own a 95 Talon TSI AWD in black?  Cause if you do, I'm going to come kill you.  THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (me).

Hah, no. Not cool enough for that - just a plain ol' 2007 toyota corolla ;P