Author Topic: Looking For A Mechanical Keyboard With Back Lit Keys?  (Read 14986 times)

Offline i69hannah

Looking For A Mechanical Keyboard With Back Lit Keys?
« on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 18:07:55 »
Anyone Got Any Suggestions? Its Gotta Be Under 100, If Not Maybe One Under Or Around 150??? I Cant See My Keyboard At Night /: But HATE Gaming With Lights.

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 18:33:18 »
Deck now or Ducky later????
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 19:17:23 »
As already mentioned by our illustrious veterans the Zibal60 is probably going to be the new hot backlit, and the Ducky whenever it is released. Perhaps you might be interested in the TG3 aka Data911 if you want something right now. I've been tempted by it, but can't justify another keyboard right now. They can be had for typically anywhere between $40 - $80 on ebay.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 19:32:48 »
Quote from: i69hannah;356992
Anyone Got Any Suggestions? Its Gotta Be Under 100, If Not Maybe One Under Or Around 150??? I Cant See My Keyboard At Night /: But HATE Gaming With Lights.

Obvuously Xarmor u9bl/u9bl-s or wait some days and go for Qpad MK80
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline looserboy

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 19:36:25 »
torch + cherry g80 3000 black mx

Cherry: G80 MX11900blacks  - G80 MX1800 blacks - G80 MX1502 blacks all cards  - G81 MY 8005 ins. cards - G81 MY 3000 modded to 20g (HowTo)
NMB SPACEINVADER white
Noppo: Choc Pro browns  - Choc Mini reds
IBM: Model F IBM: Model M SSK IBM: Model M

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 19:46:40 »
do all of them have to be back lit?

poker is an option if you onnly need a few
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 20:32:27 »
Quote from: looserboy;357031
torch + cherry g80 3000 black mx

UV LED and fluorescent stickers + whatever keyboard you want.

(backlit on the right, UV frontlit on the left)

The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline jpz

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 21:12:30 »
Quote from: The Solutor;357055
UV LED and fluorescent stickers + whatever keyboard you want.

(backlit on the right, UV frontlit on the left)

Show Image

Where do you get those stickers?

And also at a last resort you could get a razer blackwidow ultimate.  That is assuming that you are a fan of razer products.
AMD Black Edition-AMD Phenom II X6 3.2 GHz Processor, 4 GB ddr2 800, AMD Radeon HD 6950, CoolerMaster Storm Sniper case, 1Tb hard drive

Dell AT101W | Razer DeathAdder 3500 | SteelSeries QcK mini - Mouse pad | Logitech S510 | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 21:24:36 »
Quote from: jpz;357062
Where do you get those stickers?

http://www.4keyboard.com/glowingstickers-c-219.html?zenid=1096902fae3884feac24b37abeaa0807

Latkey has also a phosphorescent version, never tried that.

http://www.latkey.com/inc_prod_img.asp?Item=32&SubCat=14&Cat=38

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 21:25:17 »
USB & audio ports look very similar to Meka G1, hmmm...

Keyboardless

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 21:29:21 »
Quote from: mmmty;357065
USB & audio ports look very similar to Meka G1, hmmm...

It's obviously the same board

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 21:29:38 »
and the cable too...

Keyboardless

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 21:38:30 »
Welcome to geekhack and cool story bro!

Offline Viper2

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 21:44:11 »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 June 2011, 21:18:24 by Viper2 »

Offline i69hannah

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 21:47:31 »
Thanks Guys!!!!

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 21:52:51 »
Quote from: Viper2;357074
Yet the Zibal 60 board gets a huge discussion thread on GH and the Meka G1 is barely mentioned.  Let me guess why......could it be because the Zibal 60 is harder to obtain, more rare, and must be ordered from overseas?

Is overmentioned by ripster being the (supposedly) only viable alternative to the Xarmor U9BL, and because  the main occupation of ripster is bashing xarmor the zybal 60 is perfect for his proposes.

Obviously any comparison is impossible atm being the zibal 60 an unreleased product. (yet)

BTW I like a lot the TT MEKA (not G1) which have a nice compact form factor w/o loosing the numpad, unlike what happen on the overrated tenkeyless board.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 June 2011, 22:20:11 by The Solutor »

Offline Viper2

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 22:00:53 »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 June 2011, 22:32:22 by Viper2 »

Offline ethics-

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 22:13:32 »
Holy ****, get off it dude.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 22:17:58 »
this viper2 guy....
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 22:20:30 »
haha, it's funny how noodles was almost a Meka G1 owner  : )  But he changed his mind and didn't buy it from me.
Keyboardless

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 22:23:59 »
i bought it from viper2 instead
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 22:27:35 »
this viper2 guy... stole my sale
Keyboardless

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 22:29:33 »
Quote from: ripster;357096
I like this Viper2 dude.

Actually I'm pushing the Zibal because Sweden design > Taiwan design.

What a bright assumption, when a TT G1 is identhical to Z60... (or a qpad mk80 is identhical to an xarmor) :pound:

Offline Viper2

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 00:41:48 »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 June 2011, 21:19:16 by Viper2 »

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 17:52:09 »
Backlit keyboards are a solution to a problem that should not exist in the first place.

First people decide that they want to have black keyboards with light legends (in spite of worse readability), and then they complain that they cannot read the lettering in dim surroundings. Well, duh. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

An old Cherry or IBM (/ Unicomp) board in fashionable Computer Beige with nice high-contrast lettering (double-shot or dye sub) does pretty well under such circumstances. Maybe not quite as well as a backlit board when it's pitch dark, but chances are you wouldn't see much on your screen either.

For a little analogy:
1. A classic light-colored keyboard with high-contrast lettering is a car on which you can make out the ends pretty well.
2. A black keyboard is a stylish car on which you can only guess where the ends ends and which requires very careful parking.
3. A backlit keyboard is the same car as in 2. but stuffed with all kinds of parking aid gizmos.

Using technology to solve problems that could have been eliminated beforehand with some careful thought is another way of selling the stuff.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline herfalerf

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 18:52:59 »
Quote from: ripster;358114
I like backlit keyboards in my living room.
Show Image

Plus I have to admit the glowing is fun.  I still make pick up a backlit if anybody ever makes a decent quality one.  

Like the Mionix which looks nothing like the ThermalTake to me.

interestingly enough i think that if you scrubbed off the logos and removed the wrist rest, that mionis would look identical to the tt meka g1.  anyone with photoshop skils wanna do this? just black out the lettering, change the red keys to black, remove logos from both and i doubt you would be able to tell the difference.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 20:30:02 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;358101
Backlit keyboards are a solution to a problem that should not exist in the first place.

First people decide that they want to have black keyboards with light legends (in spite of worse readability), and then they complain that they cannot read the lettering in dim surroundings. Well, duh. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

An old Cherry or IBM (/ Unicomp) board in fashionable Computer Beige with nice high-contrast lettering (double-shot or dye sub) does pretty well under such circumstances. Maybe not quite as well as a backlit board when it's pitch dark, but chances are you wouldn't see much on your screen either.

For a little analogy:
1. A classic light-colored keyboard with high-contrast lettering is a car on which you can make out the ends pretty well.
2. A black keyboard is a stylish car on which you can only guess where the ends ends and which requires very careful parking.
3. A backlit keyboard is the same car as in 2. but stuffed with all kinds of parking aid gizmos.

Using technology to solve problems that could have been eliminated beforehand with some careful thought is another way of selling the stuff.

Too much unneeded philosophy

Every keyboard should be backlit, as happen in any car stereo, cellphone, whatever, since the middle age.

We can argue about otaku boards and people who buy them because are "cool" not about a well established  technology meant to do exactly the basic function of any legended key. Being readable.

Offline Wibox

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 21:19:16 »
Quote from: The Solutor;358179
Every keyboard should be backlit

Haha, what
!! YKBDS !! - KBC Poker (Ergo Clear Cherry) - Apple M0116 (Pink ALPS) - Apple M0115 (Orange ALPS) - Das Keyboard (Blue Cherry) - IBM Model F - IBM Model M - Dell AT101W (White ALPS) - Cherry POS 8000 (Clear Cherry) - Apple Extended II (Cream ALPS)

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 22:55:09 »
I thought I needed a backlit KB so I bought the BWU as my first mech KB. I don't even look down at the kb to look at the keys when I type or game. If you need to look down at the kb to know what keys you need to press on while you play games, you are probably already dead. That said, backlit keys do look inviting and does spruce up your computer setup.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 01:16:24 »
Quote from: Wibox;358196
Haha, what

Exactly what I wrote.

If you feel supergeeck you can use whatever, square wheels on your cars, a left handed mouse being right handed, a salt in the coffee, a curved ruler to draw lines and so on.

BUT you know, I'm a bit strange and I prefer the correct tool to do a given task, and I use round wheels, a right handed mouse, and a backlit keyboard.

Offline herfalerf

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 05:17:12 »
Quote from: The Solutor;358292
Exactly what I wrote.

If you feel supergeeck you can use whatever, square wheels on your cars, a left handed mouse being right handed, a salt in the coffee, a curved ruler to draw lines and so on.

BUT you know, I'm a bit strange and I prefer the correct tool to do a given task, and I use round wheels, a right handed mouse, and a backlit keyboard.

would i like a backlit keyboard?  yes.  they look cool.  do i need a backlit keyboard?  hell no.  i much prefer to use my pc in a lit room and i know how to type.

i think you have an interesting point about car stereos and cell phones, but you have to remember that those do not have a standard layout so its not like you are going to know where all the buttons are anyway.  

this is a computer keyboard forum.  people here spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on keyboards.  i find it really hard to believe that people with this much dedication to a keyboard would be such poor typists that they would need to look at the keys.

Offline Lester

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 05:34:11 »
Quote from: ripster;358114
I like backlit keyboards in my living room.

Plus I have to admit the glowing is fun.  I still make pick up a backlit if anybody ever makes a decent quality one.  

Like the Mionix which looks nothing like the ThermalTake to me.

Maybe Ducky Shine?

Offline gilgam

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 05:42:51 »
Quote from: The Solutor;358292
Exactly what I wrote.

Good design makes good products and backlit is not the killing feature.
You need more power, that light from your keyboard maybe annoying and for touch typistes it's useless. I woud love a backlit keyboard in the dark but for most of my time, when the sun shines, and the neons too, i don't need light under my keys.
A backlit keyboard like those on laptop, as light comes when it's dark outside, is better but then the quality of the keycaps is awful (the command key on my macbooks wore off very fast).
Realforce 105 FR, HHKB Pro 2 black, 1 Raptor K1 Black Cherry and 1 Raptor K1 Red Cherry , Compag MX 11800  tBrown Cherry, G80-3000 Clear Cherry , G80-1000 Blue Cherry / Ghetto red, Lexmark 1992 SSK Buckling spring, Unicomp 2011 Customizer 102 Buckling spring
and a few rubber dome/scissors keyboards from Apple/Logitech

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 06:14:11 »
Quote from: herfalerf;358121
interestingly enough i think that if you scrubbed off the logos and removed the wrist rest, that mionis would look identical to the tt meka g1.  anyone with photoshop skils wanna do this? just black out the lettering, change the red keys to black, remove logos from both and i doubt you would be able to tell the difference.

woody

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 06:44:09 »
Quote from: The Solutor;358179
Too much unneeded philosophy
keyb_gr speaks the truth.

Every keyboard should be backlit, as happen in any car stereo, cellphone, whatever, since the middle age.
Too much incorrect analogies.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 08:32:46 »
this is a computer keyboard forum. people here spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on keyboards. i find it really hard to believe that people with this much dedication to a keyboard would be such poor typists that they would need to look at the keys.

Where you read that I limited my thoughts to the users of this forum ?

I'm speaking about keyboard in general, as a precise instrument to do a precise task, and a backlit keyboard is a very important piece of this task.

Then the average users of this forum is a touchtypist or a masochist and not needs legends ?

Good for them. But they must be aware that they are a subsubsub niche of the total of computer users, so backlit can be unneded for a 0.1 % of the users is still a great feature for a large abount of them, and is a basic feature for another large amount, me included.

Keeep in mind that the time when a conditioner or a robotized gears on a Ferrari was an insult is matter of the past, people doesn't want anymore the choice between a great engine and a comfortable car, people want both. And this should happen (will happen) on the keyboard market too.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 08:35:34 »
Quote from: woody;358344
keyb_gr speaks the truth.

Unless he is some divinity keyb_gr speaks his opinion as you and me.

Too much incorrect analogies.

Oh, thank you for such news, so post some good analogies...

woody

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 09:10:26 »
Quote from: The Solutor;358363
Unless he is some divinity keyb_gr speaks his opinion as you and me.
Focus on this for a moment:
Quote from: keyb_gr;358101

Quote from: The Solutor;358363
Oh, thank you for such news, so post some good analogies...
Good analogy (NSFW)

Offline DaemonRaccoon

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 09:12:06 »
That is a good Analogy. good show woody!
122-Key Model F 6110345 1985-03-01 | Model M SSK 1391472 1991-01-22 | Rosewill RK-9000 v1 | KBC Poker X | Filco FKBN87M/PWE2

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 09:47:37 »
Quote from: woody;358371
Focus on this for a moment:

I'm not used to focus to a blatantly wrong sentence.

Instead focus to yourself to the point.

What is a keyboard ? What is its main function ?

99,999% of the keyboards have the legends, and have the legends for a reason, and making the legends more readable is a basic feature, unless the keyboard is meant for exclusive office use where usually the environment is always well lit.

If you seek geeckiness an otaku qwerty board is an amateur tool, why not use just 8 buttons and use them to input the ASCII code directly in binary form ?

That's  geek
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 June 2011, 03:05:09 by The Solutor »

Offline DaemonRaccoon

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 09:52:17 »
Who uses qwerty? :cool:
122-Key Model F 6110345 1985-03-01 | Model M SSK 1391472 1991-01-22 | Rosewill RK-9000 v1 | KBC Poker X | Filco FKBN87M/PWE2

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 09:55:18 »
You know, I think some keycaps with promethium-147 or tritium legends would be novel. No need for leds, with a nice glow.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 09:59:33 »
Quote from: lysol;358400
You know, I think some keycaps with promethium-147 or tritium legends would be novel. No need for leds, with a nice glow.

Not a novel

http://www.latkey.com/glowing_stickers.asp?SubCat=14

http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/974325-poormans-baclit-black-widow.html

« Last Edit: Fri, 10 June 2011, 10:01:51 by The Solutor »

woody

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 14:37:14 »
Quote from: The Solutor;358391
If you seek geeckiness an otaku qwerty board is an amateur tool, why not use just 8 button and use them to input the ASCII code directly in binary form ?

That's  geek
That's funny.

But to the point - this is your main mislead, you think that I (and perhaps keyb_gr) am after lack of legends or similar masochism. Nope. High contrast legends and enough light. The latter for zillion reasons, two of the most important being your eyes.
Why would you work in the dark and have the damn keyboard shine below your nose at the first place? Hence the wrong solution for a non-existing problem.

Offline jumpfroggy

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 11 June 2011, 01:56:35 »
Oh man, so much OT ranting in here that I just feel compelled to join in :)

I really wish I could get a backlit keyboard.  I currently have a filco w/ browns, and I like it but I really wish I could try some others.  I think my ideal board would be either topre or mx blues (neither of which I've tried), otaku (in daylight), backlit.  That would be *amazing*.

I imagine the letters would be nearly invisible in daylight (since they'd blend in), but in the dark they'd stand out with backlighting.

And all this nonsense about backlight being good or bad - it's just a matter of taste!  A "high contrast keyboard" would not help me in the dark, esp. when my eyes have adjusted to the brightness of the screen.  I usually touch type, but that doesn't help when I have to type one handed in a nearly completely dark room while I hold a baby in the other, programming & feeding.  Backlight would be wonderful then.  I think otaku looks neat.  I like black keyboards because they look better.

This is a great thread.  I had no idea about the mionix stuff (or clone).  Black widow ultimate, deck legend, upcoming ducky shine.  The last I'm very curious about - a backlit MX blue keyboard would be amazing.

You know what we need?  A custom keyboard site.  Choose the layout, key caps, switches, backlit/none, extra USB hub, etc.  Make them all add-ons like they do for cars.  Built to order.  Expensive.  Perfect.  Upgradeable.  How many people would use a site like that?
Filco FKB104/EB - Das Keyboard Ultimate S - Realforce 103UB variable - Filco Linear-R (soon)

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 11 June 2011, 02:03:35 »
Backlight would be wonderful then. I think otaku looks neat. I like black keyboards because they look better.

Actually you can have both.

My Xarmor, after my latest mod, has almost invisible legends with backlit turned off, and bright legends when turned on.

Offline calummm

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 11 June 2011, 02:47:09 »
Quote from: The Solutor;358391

If you seek geeckiness an otaku qwerty board is an amateur tool, why not use just 8 button and use them to input the ASCII code directly in binary form ?

Haha I'm going to learn that. Last weeks project was to learn how to program in brain**** and that went well so don't think I wont. :D
KBC Poker 40% Red Cherries

Offline Larry Dallas

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 11 June 2011, 18:31:17 »
If you really want a backlit board, you could always put the lights in yourself, like they do over at KBC. http://kbc.5d6d.com/thread-5850-1-1.html

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 11 June 2011, 19:49:04 »
thats a nice poker
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline cromartie

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 11 June 2011, 21:36:24 »
Quote from: The Solutor;358403
Not a novel

http://www.latkey.com/glowing_stickers.asp?SubCat=14

http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/974325-poormans-baclit-black-widow.html

How do the stickers feel compared to the original keycaps? I've tried stickers on keycaps for the purpose of typing in a different language, but it definitely did not feel as nice as the original texture of the keys. Also they did not last long at all before it started to peel off the keys. How do you like these?

Offline jumpfroggy

« Reply #50 on: Sat, 11 June 2011, 21:55:47 »
Quote from: Larry Dallas;359161
If you really want a backlit board, you could always put the lights in yourself, like they do over at KBC. http://kbc.5d6d.com/thread-5850-1-1.html
Interesting!  I'm assuming this is normal colored keyboard with DIY lights?  I'd definitely consider lighting just the home row - that'd be really useful.  Any build pics / howtos?  Anyone ever try this w/ black keys?  Or could I get just the home-row of white filco home keys?  Hmm.

It's funny, when I got my filco, there wasn't any legit way to get them in the US.  Now there are tons of alternatives available, including these mx blue backlit boards.  It's nice that mechanical keyboards are getting more popular.
Filco FKB104/EB - Das Keyboard Ultimate S - Realforce 103UB variable - Filco Linear-R (soon)

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 12 June 2011, 04:31:13 »
Quote from: Larry Dallas;359161

As you can see the genius from KBC managed to predrill the leds soldering hole but forgot to rotate the switches in the right direction.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 12 June 2011, 04:38:17 »
Quote from: cromartie;359234
How do the stickers feel compared to the original keycaps? I've tried stickers on keycaps for the purpose of typing in a different language, but it definitely did not feel as nice as the original texture of the keys.

I used the stickers from 4keyboarss both the language ones and the fluorescent on my thinkpads. The former were really perfect for the task, almost unnoticeable, durable and matte. Thy are less croase than the average key finish on mech boards but still very good. On the other hand, the latter are shiny and thick like a normal sticker.

I never tried the phosphorescent stickers from latkey.

Offline Backward_Pawn

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 12 June 2011, 22:55:55 »
I don't want to step on any toes here, as a new member, but I personally don't understand backlit keyboards.  If I'm in a dark room, my F and J keys have bumps on them, I can find the rest of the keys from there.  The last thing I want is a keyboard calling attention to itself in a dark room.  If I see the backlight in my periphery, my eyes will constantly want to look down and it'll be a distraction.  The only reason I can think to have one is if someone cannot touch type.  My suggestion to them would be NOT to invest in a backlit keyboard, but in an invaluable skill that will make that backlighting unnecessary.

Offline Tallon

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 00:09:14 »
Quote from: Backward_Pawn;359735
I don't want to step on any toes here, as a new member, but I personally don't understand backlit keyboards.  If I'm in a dark room, my F and J keys have bumps on them, I can find the rest of the keys from there.  The last thing I want is a keyboard calling attention to itself in a dark room.  If I see the backlight in my periphery, my eyes will constantly want to look down and it'll be a distraction.  The only reason I can think to have one is if someone cannot touch type.  My suggestion to them would be NOT to invest in a backlit keyboard, but in an invaluable skill that will make that backlighting unnecessary.

Well - have you ever tried to type specific key commands while holding a baby in one arm and watching a movie on the computer (thus lights are off or very low)? Trying to find "homerow" (with the bump on the F and J) can be a pain, whereas a back lit keyboard would solve the problem. I'm sure there's many other situations where backlighting can come in handy, that's just one situation I recently ran into on my non-backlit keyboard that I did not have on my old backlit one.

I do agree, however, that touch typing is extremely useful. It's not that hard to learn, anyway.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 00:12:13 »

you're so cool man, i bet you type like stevie wonder.

I love stevie wonder
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 00:56:00 »
I don't want to step on any toes here, as a new member, but I personally don't understand backlit keyboards.  If I'm in a dark room, my F and J keys have bumps on them, I can find the rest of the keys from there.

I'm really impressed :happy:

The last thing I want is a keyboard calling attention to itself in a dark room.

You should also turn off that stupid lcd panel, very distracting also, especially when showing some women in miniskirt...

The only reason I can think to have one is if someone cannot touch type.

I think there are at least 6billions of such "someone" on this planet.

My suggestion to them would be NOT to invest in a backlit keyboard, but in an invaluable skill that will make that backlighting unnecessary.

My suggestion is to use that marvel machine which is the human brain to accomplish high level tasks, and not waste precious neurons to learn something that a basic technology has already made obsolete.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 01:29:28 »
Quote from: The Solutor;359772
My suggestion is to use that marvel machine which is the human brain to accomplish high level tasks, and not waste precious neurons to learn something that a basic technology has already made obsolete.

Whoah, whoah, whoah... normally, I consider what you post (ripster bantering aside) to be well thought out and generally rational. But did I just read you right? Are you actually suggesting that touch typing is an "obsolete" skill? On a forum dedicated to keyboards?

The only thing I'll say is this. I learned to type correctly so I could do exactly what you say: use my brain to accomplish high level tasks, not waste precious neurons on interrupting my thought process to go and find where some key is on a keyboard.

I learned to type so that the act of typing wouldn't get in my way of doing what I wanted to do. Since I make my living on the computer, I'd say that learning to type correctly and effortlessly was the single most important skill I've learned.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 01:32:48 »
he made some rational statements under his xarmor account.
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 01:37:47 »
Quote from: daerid;359794
Are you actually suggesting that touch typing is an "obsolete" skill?

Not an obsolete skill, an unneeded skill.

Are you good in touchtyping ? Good for you, no one is blaming you for this, but at the same time don't blame that 6 billions of people who never mind to learn it.

On a forum dedicated to keyboards?

Aren't backlit keyboards included ?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 09:04:00 »
Quote from: ripster;359798
The Solutor has made generally rational statements?

Citation please?

I ain't gettin in the middle of nothin, but I'll just say that I believe that he makes good arguments from his point of view, as long as you two aren't going at each other's throats.

Quote from: The Solutor;359801
Not an obsolete skill, an unneeded skill.

That's a very fine distinction. Your original wording was "obsolete", though. Either way, I must respectfully disagree.

Are you good in touchtyping ? Good for you, no one is blaming you for this, but at the same time don't blame that 6 billions of people who never mind to learn it.
No blame here. The same way I don't blame the billions of people who can't wire up a basic electrical circuit, or cook a decent meal, or play basketball, or perform any other skill that requires a decent investment in learning and practice.
All of those skills can be considered unneeded or obsolete from a certain point of view. But to those who enjoy and excel in those skills, I don't think that you'd find one of them that would consider them so.

Aren't backlit keyboards included ?
Absolutely. I'm not arguing against the technology, I'm arguing that the tech doesn't make touch-typing obsolete. Besides, with the proliferation of computer tech and the adoption of it by our children at a younger and younger age, I'd say that we'll be seeing more people who are able to type without looking at the keyboard, rather than less.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 June 2011, 09:14:11 by daerid »

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 09:10:37 »
Quote from: ripster;359887
Just curious.  In other news I just added Source11 to my Number One Keyboard Expert On The Planet. link.

Which planet ?

Mongo ? Chronos ? Abydos ?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 09:25:57 »
Quote from: ripster;359887
Just curious.  In other news I just added Source11 to my Number One Keyboard Expert On The Planet link.

lol. glad to be of service

Offline Stevie Wonder

• http://www.steviewonder.net/
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 14:56:20 »
Quote from: noodles256;359763
you're so cool man, i bet you type like stevie wonder.

I love stevie wonder

Thanks man.  Buy my next album.

Offline jumpfroggy

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 15:08:28 »
Quote from: Tallon;359762
Well - have you ever tried to type specific key commands while holding a baby in one arm and watching a movie on the computer (thus lights are off or very low)?
Wait, I'm confused... I *swear* I wrote the above sentence, but it's clearly not my account.  What's going on?  Am I losing my mind?  Or is Tallon my evil twin?

Tallon - do you own a 95 Talon TSI AWD in black?  Cause if you do, I'm going to come kill you.  THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (me).

Offline Tallon

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 23:13:30 »
Quote from: jumpfroggy;370180
Wait, I'm confused... I *swear* I wrote the above sentence, but it's clearly not my account.  What's going on?  Am I losing my mind?  Or is Tallon my evil twin?

Tallon - do you own a 95 Talon TSI AWD in black?  Cause if you do, I'm going to come kill you.  THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (me).

Hah, no. Not cool enough for that - just a plain ol' 2007 toyota corolla ;P