Author Topic: Black switch has weird, almost clicky feel  (Read 1701 times)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Black switch has weird, almost clicky feel
« on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 21:34:40 »
... but only if I press it a certain way.

I got a Ninja Tenkeyless with Blacks, and the left shift key has a little funky problem. If I press downl directly on the center, it's silky smooth like every other switch. However, if I press down on the bottom edge of the key, there's a slight almost click feel. Like a piece of plastic is slipping past another one.

Anybody else experience this before? Is there any way to fix this short of RMA'ing the board?

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 21:36:17 »
The black boards I have owned definitely didn't feel clicky.

did you check under the key?
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 21:39:12 »
Yeah, I've popped the cap off already and applied some lithium grease to the stabilizers. It's definitely a problem internal to the switch itself. Feels like an issue with the stem.

I'm not terribly picky about it, since my black board isn't really going to be my everyday driver, but I was just wondering if there was a quick fix to it.

*edit* Thx ripster. It actually does feel like it could be a plastic bur on the side of the stem. I'll see how it feels in a week or so.

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 22:00:32 »
@daerid - how are you liking the black compared to your reds? What would you recommend them for? Is it worth getting if I have a red already?

I know I'm likely already doomed to buy a black eventually anyway but hearing the comparison from someone that owns both would be rad.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline morethanless

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 11:22:32 »
I think that is because Germany lets manufacture overseas in Asia.
Mostly only R&D and administration is left here.

Sure there are exceptions. But those are rather small enterprises.

Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless LineaR
(Cherry MX Red)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 July 2011, 20:45:10 »
Well... I pulled apart my Black Ninja, hoping to solve this issue. Was gonna desolder the switch and open it up to see what's up.

Long story short: Didn't desolder enough (need to pick up a desoldering pump), and one of the pins came out of the switch. Ordered a new one off ebay (thank god for ebay credits, paid next to nothing for a $6.00 switch), opened up the switch, found out it was a tiny burr I could have shaved off with a razor blade by just depressing the stem.

Needless to say, not a good morning. But the experience was great. Packed up the Ninja and faulty switch, now just waiting for the replacement switch. Shame too, I LOVED gaming on that board.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 04 July 2011, 01:17:25 »
What stuff will you be posting for, then?

And here's a question I know you can answer, what can I use to make the 5 key on my numpad the down key (while numlock is off) without a program like autohotkey running? I found one called sharpkeys but it did it no matter what the numlock position is.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 July 2011, 01:20:08 »
Quote from: ripster;372819
Uh, that  IS what I said earlier.  I've seen it twice before.  Sometimes it is frustrating when your advice is ignored.  Another reason I'm leaving the keyboard problems and noob questions to others.

I know you said that before, but for some reason I couldn't find the burr when I looked for it before I jumped into the desoldering. I couldn't see it until I took the switch apart. Wasn't ignoring your advice, in fact I used your wiki's a bunch during the process.

Like I said, I ain't mad, it was a great learning process.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 July 2011, 02:51:16 »
$6 for an MX switch? Most vendors I've seen charge around $1, even when buying a single switch.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 04 July 2011, 04:47:24 »
I grabbed the first one I found off ebay. Didn't really care that it was 6, just wanted it here asap.