Author Topic: Speech recognition ends up the layout competition?  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Popkeymon

Speech recognition ends up the layout competition?
« on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 19:46:41 »
I have recently purchased an android tablet and found that the open platform did not include the Dvorak nor colemak or other alternative layout.

However, speech recognition has been set as default to allow keyword search. It is obvious that we are transforming into a keyless computing era. Are we still debating whether a white horse is running faster then a brown one?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 20:27:22 »
One quick google and colemak's own website has a Nov 2009 article that it's available for android.  Why does it have to ship with a SPACE LIMITED device when it's not something most people use?
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline sordna

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 21:51:55 »
Is there a tablet keyboard app that makes it split, and preferably with vertical columns (non-staggered). It's so sad to see the RIDICULOUS staggered zig-zag arrangement of the late 1800's push-rod typewriters still being the default even on the most modern devices :-(
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline pkamb

• http://www.staylimber.com/
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 18:45:05 »
Speech recognition will never catch on, because you don't want everyone in the Starbucks knowing what you're writing. Simple as that.

Interesting that you want a Colemak touch-screen keyboard. I touch-type in Dvorak, but really have *no idea* what a Dvorak keyboard looks like. It's all muscle memory. I see a QWERTY keyboard though hundreds of times each day. I know it far better by sight, and thus it's better for visual hunt-and-pecking on a touchscreen.

Offline Tony

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 20:57:11 »
I want to say something to the topic. Hold on, I will think a bit, oh ****, what, you know, I am testing the speech recognition software, so bear with me, ok?

Can you get me a black coffee? Sorry, it's the waitress.

Now I see that it works, hmm, but I forgot what I want to say.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline himynameisbunny

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 21:51:50 »
Quote from: sordna;360908
Is there a tablet keyboard app that makes it split, and preferably with vertical columns (non-staggered). It's so sad to see the RIDICULOUS staggered zig-zag arrangement of the late 1800's push-rod typewriters still being the default even on the most modern devices :-(

Thumb Keyboard. Fantastic for tablets, don't know how people could use anything else.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 // Logitech M570 Trackball // Topre Realforce 23UB

Offline sordna

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 22:08:07 »
Quote from: himynameisbunny;369226
Thumb Keyboard. Fantastic for tablets, don't know how people could use anything else.

Interesting, I just looked it up. It's a bit staggered, but symmetrically! Nice, thanks for the pointer.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline eyesnine

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 22:15:53 »
Quote from: Popkeymon;360847
I have recently purchased an android tablet and found that the open platform did not include the Dvorak nor colemak or other alternative layout.

However, speech recognition has been set as default to allow keyword search. It is obvious that we are transforming into a keyless computing era. Are we still debating whether a white horse is running faster then a brown one?

I haven't yet seen a realistic scheme for programming with speech recognition. It seems to me that character-accurate input is only achievable with a keyboard. Pressing "open square bracket" is a hell of a lot easier than saying it.

Formatting and punctuation are other hurdles faced by speech input, in the word processing realm.

And, I doubt one could be a proficient Starcraft gamer using speech commands instead of key commands.