Author Topic: Any current ALPS based keyboards with 6KRO or better?  (Read 2791 times)

Offline xargos

Any current ALPS based keyboards with 6KRO or better?
« on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 23:28:10 »
Does anyone know of any current production keyboards that are capable of 6KRO or better and use ALPS style switches?  Well, other than the Mac layout Matias Tactile Pro 3.0, that is.  I was hoping to find something similar in feel to then white ALPS based Focus FK-2001 keyboards that I've always liked but everything seems to be either Cherry MX or buckling spring based.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 23:40:53 »
That would be because complicated alps no longer exists. Cherry and bs boards are the only stuff still in production. (besides simplified alps)

I'm betting you like complicateds. So you'll either have to do some soldering of complicated switches into a simplified alps board with abilities of which you speak, or settle for an old model. Could always make it look more modern like people have done with their model m's with dye and stuff.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 05:04:35 »
IIRC, Northgates have NKRO. Possibly some Focus boards too.

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 11:55:01 »
The first Nan-Tan I was building had NKRO, but the controller cooked itself (found out it was fairly common for that model).
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline xargos

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 17:52:06 »
Thanks for all the responses.

Quote from: False_Dmitry_II;368234
I'm betting you like complicateds. So you'll either have to do some soldering of complicated switches into a simplified alps board with abilities of which you speak, or settle for an old model. Could always make it look more modern like people have done with their model m's with dye and stuff.

Although I prefer the complicated switches, the simplified don't seem too bad to me.  

Also, the looks aren't all that important to me as long as the features are there.  People at work seemed to think I was crazy when I was using a yellowed Cherry G80-1800 with black MX switches in it.  They all enjoyed their black keyboards with rubber domes, so I guess they just didn't get it.  Too bad that thing gave up the ghost.

Quote from: ripster;368240
My Filco Zero is 6KRO over USB, NKRO PS/2.

Fukka ALPS pings kinda loud.  Some people are sensitive to that.

Call me crazy, but I actually like the pings of that Filco Zero.  I can understand how some people wouldn't though.  The only problem is that it doesn't look like it is in production anymore much like the ABS M1.

Offline Astounding

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 18:02:43 »
Quote from: xargos;368614
The only problem is that it doesn't look like it is in production anymore much like the ABS M1.

http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=853

Offline xargos

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 19:29:00 »
Quote from: Astounding;368618
http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=853

Thanks!

I could have sworn I saw a listing on that same site that had said it was discontinued!  A quick look shows that I kinda did - but not the exact same model (FKBN87Z/EB-Y versus this one, FKBN87Z/EB).

http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=621

I'll probably poke around a bit to see my options, but I'm glad to know I was mistaken about this.

Offline Astounding

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 00:41:36 »
Quote from: xargos;368657
Thanks!

I could have sworn I saw a listing on that same site that had said it was discontinued!  A quick look shows that I kinda did - but not the exact same model (FKBN87Z/EB-Y versus this one, FKBN87Z/EB).

http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=621

I'll probably poke around a bit to see my options, but I'm glad to know I was mistaken about this.

Let me know what you figure out, I'm trying to decide between that board or a cherry blue.

Offline lopan

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 01:03:22 »
Does keyboardco ship to the US?

Offline Astounding

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 01:26:18 »
Quote from: lopan;368737
Does keyboardco ship to the US?

yes

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 05:46:20 »
Take also a look to the Aron keyboards, never touched one but they looks nice enough, and the price is nice too.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline xargos

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 18:17:58 »
For the time being I decided to try a Northgate Omnikey 101.  I know it isn't current production, but since I found one for a lot less than a new keyboard I figured I'd take a chance.  After all, it is on the list of NKRO keyboards here and should be able to do 6KRO over USB.

Plus the ability to switch to hardwired Dvorak if I ever choose to doesn't hurt!

Offline Magna224

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 19:44:45 »
I have a focus that I have not tested but I have pressed qweasdzxc all at once on it. I wont be home until the 4th and I have school then so I wont be able to get to it for a while.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.