Author Topic: Short review: Filco vs Zowie  (Read 3316 times)

Offline Ollum

Short review: Filco vs Zowie
« on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 16:11:01 »
Hi there, I since my old Logitech G15 broke (its not resistent to beer) I had to get a new keyboard.
A friend of mine told me about mechnical keyboards so I started my research.
I ended up here and read all the guides and stuff.
I ordered 2 Keyboards the first one was ZOWIE CELERITAS Pro Gaming Keyboard.
The second one is Filco Majestouch-2 FKBN105M/GRB2 (awesome).
So I got the Zowie first after unboxing I tried typing and some gaming but the feel was kinda weired.
The Keys felt so light and cheap and typing on it was almost like typing on my G15.
I was pretty down cause I thought the mechanical keyboards were all the same.
2 days later my Filco arrived and I was stoked. It felt good and the typing was awesome.
I had to get used to the slightly smaller keys but no problem so far.
If you can afford it the Filco is so worth the money.

Thx@geekhack 4 the help finding me my next and hopfully last keyboard.

Greets Ollum

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 16:22:43 »
Welcome to Geekhack and thanks for that short review. =P  I own more than a few keyboards myself and I tend to agree with you on Filco's quality and feel.  Have you experienced any "pinging" sound from any of the keys on the Filco?  Just curious.
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 16:43:42 »
Filco FTW!! 99.9% approval rate here @ GH. Getting my 5th Filco in a couple of days.
Keyboardless

Offline n00by

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 17:27:30 »
Can you explain what you mean by lighter? Because I ordered a Zowie a few days ago because I wanted a lighter to type on keyboard and being the insecure being that I am, I am now worrying about my purchase. So elaborate please, thanks.

Offline jpz

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 17:34:30 »
mmty how long have you been collecting keyboards?
AMD Black Edition-AMD Phenom II X6 3.2 GHz Processor, 4 GB ddr2 800, AMD Radeon HD 6950, CoolerMaster Storm Sniper case, 1Tb hard drive

Dell AT101W | Razer DeathAdder 3500 | SteelSeries QcK mini - Mouse pad | Logitech S510 | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 17:41:43 »
Zowie - the choice of professional Kartrider players everywhere.

Offline Ollum

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 17:45:49 »
Quote from: n00by;368600
Can you explain what you mean by lighter? Because I ordered a Zowie a few days ago because I wanted a lighter to type on keyboard and being the insecure being that I am, I am now worrying about my purchase. So elaborate please, thanks.

I mean that they are made of cheap plastic. Cant explain that well. See me Filco feels like it is build 4 lasting for ever.
The zowie didnt have that feel.

And can someone explain what ping sound my filco should be doing?

Offline SecrtAgentMan

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 17:57:07 »
Hit a few keys one by one and see if it makes a noise similar to this.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 17:59:07 »
You've already answered that it isn't if you haven't noticed it. It shouldn't be making a metallic ringing or 'ping' noise. So thats a good thing.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 18:34:48 »
Quote from: jpz;368602
mmty how long have you been collecting keyboards?

Since I started joining this place  :frown:  Before that I had Filco brown & blue, IBM Model M, and Dell AT101W. I got my first Filco about 6 years ago. But didn't really got in to collecting keyboards. There will be a point when I only keep the ones I like the most and start selling the other ones. But I may decide to keep all of them.
Keyboardless

Offline jpz

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 19:07:26 »
Oh ok i was about to be very impressed that u got all the keyboards that are in your signature in less than 2 months.
I got my first Filco about 6 years ago.
How did you know about filco 6 years ago?  Personally i never heard of filco, das and ducky till i joined gh.
AMD Black Edition-AMD Phenom II X6 3.2 GHz Processor, 4 GB ddr2 800, AMD Radeon HD 6950, CoolerMaster Storm Sniper case, 1Tb hard drive

Dell AT101W | Razer DeathAdder 3500 | SteelSeries QcK mini - Mouse pad | Logitech S510 | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 21:48:33 »
My Logitech keyboard was going really mushy. So I started looking for a new keyboard and somehow found Filco on Elitekeyboards. I ordered a Filco brown from them. A few months later they had the "new" Filco with blue switches so I had to try it.

Forgot that I had the Unicomp a while back too. But I must have gotten about 10 keyboards in the past 2 months with 2 more coming. This place is scary dangerous. I'm almost at the end of the list of keyboards that I want to try though.
Keyboardless

Offline Ollum

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 09:00:48 »
Quote from: SecrtAgentMan;368616
Hit a few keys one by one and see if it makes a noise similar to this.

No noise so far. Tried almost every key.

Offline Ollum

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 28 June 2011, 15:33:29 »
Quote from: n00by;368600

Hey did you get your zowie if yes what is your conclusion? I am curious if you share my opinion :)

Offline n00by

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 10:54:12 »
Quote from: Ollum;369594
Hey did you get your zowie if yes what is your conclusion? I am curious if you share my opinion :)

I just received it and it feels awesome, keep in mind though that it is my first mechanical keyboard but I really like it thusfar! Doesn´t feel cheap at all and I really like the feeling of the keys.

And I love NKRO: m54jn3c2rfuh7ik,8l.9xdp;-0v 2 (:P)